The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 September 2018, 06:42 AM   #211
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

An update on connectivity - both Bluetooth and Cellular.

I worked with Apple engineers and SR. Advisors the past 3 days on 3 different tickets. Mine was with Apple Watch (BT), CarPlay and power management. I even had interface problems with TapaTalk Pro photo upload buttons.

Here is the good news - there isn’t a bug in iOS12 on the new Xs models - it is in the implementation of restoring your phone from a previous model or backup (either iTunes or iCloud).

Here is the bad news - the fix for lingering issues is to erase the phone completely (only if you had restored from a backup or mirrored it with the activation utility that sucked your data out of an older phone). If you setup your iPhone Xs as a new phone without restoring from a backup, then ignore anything after the beer mug

The problem is if your old phone or backup was running iOS11 (almost everyone was), then some of the network settings and BT radio firmware conflicted with iOS12 connectivity settings. And those older settings got written to your new phone.

Here is what I did to fix my issues plus reduce my rework in building a new image on the iPhone Xs Max. So this in sequence...

1. Sync photo’s & video’s to your computer via iTunes (even if you are an iCloud backup user). This is “belt and suspenders” step to be absolutely sure you can’t lose anything precious to you.

2. Update all Apps that need to be updated

3. Force quit all open Apps. I know Apple says it is unnecessary but I’ve learned from experience.

4.a. Backup to a PC via iTunes.
4.b. Then do another backup to iCloud.
Leave the setting for backups to be “iCloud”. Another “belt & suspenders” step.

5. Reset Network Settings

6. Reboot the phone then log out of your Apple ID.

7. Go into settings and reset the phone - choose to erase all settings and content on the phone.

8. When it restarts, start is as a new phone.

This way you get a fresh iOS12 image with nothing lingering from iOS11 or a previous backup. When prompted, log into your Apple ID. After doing this it will take time for iCloud to download your pictures, videos, music, files, calendars, mail, and data. That’s why this takes hours. The first 8 steps take about 90 minutes.

Now you won’t have all your old Apps yet, but you can bring them back from the App Store. Open the App Store - click “Today” in lower left taskbar - and click your profile in upper right hand corner of the screen - then click “purchases”. (Yes, even your free Apps are stored there). From there you can choose any Apps not on the phone and download them. If you paid for any Apps there won’t be a new charge - you are essentially restoring purchases.

If this is not a natural set of steps from your past - then call Apple Support and they will walk you through it. Plan on spending a few hours from start to finish.

Please don’t PM me - I’m not with Apple. I helped launch the original iPhone but don’t have a dog in this hunt. I’m just sharing what worked for me in the spirit of community.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 11:10 AM   #212
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

I worked with Apple engineers and SR. Advisors the past 3 days on 3 different tickets. Mine was with Apple Watch (BT), CarPlay and power management. I even had interface problems with TapaTalk Pro photo upload buttons.

Here is the good news - there isn’t a bug in iOS12 on the new Xs models - it is in the implementation of restoring your phone from a previous model or backup (either iTunes or iCloud).

Here is the bad news - the fix for lingering issues is to erase the phone completely (only if you had restored from a backup or mirrored it with the activation utility that sucked your data out of an older phone). If you setup your iPhone Xs as a new phone without restoring from a backup, then ignore anything after the beer mug

The problem is if your old phone or backup was running iOS11 (almost everyone was), then some of the network settings and BT radio firmware conflicted with iOS12 connectivity settings. And those older settings got written to your new phone.

Here is what I did to fix my issues plus reduce my rework in building a new image on the iPhone Xs Max. So this in sequence...

1. Sync photo’s & video’s to your computer via iTunes (even if you are an iCloud backup user). This is “belt and suspenders” step to be absolutely sure you can’t lose anything precious to you.

3. Force quit all open Apps. I know Apple says it is unnecessary but I’ve learned from experience.

7. Go into settings and reset the phone - choose to erase all settings and content on the phone.

This way you get a fresh iOS12 image with nothing lingering from iOS11 or a previous backup. When prompted, log into your Apple ID. After doing this it will take time for iCloud to download your pictures, videos, music, files, calendars, mail, and data. That’s why this takes hours. The first 8 steps take about 90 minutes.

Now you won’t have all your old Apps yet, but you can bring them back from the App Store. Open the App Store - click “Today” in lower left taskbar - and click your profile in upper right hand corner of the screen - then click “purchases”. (Yes, even your free Apps are stored there). From there you can choose any Apps not on the phone and download them. If you paid for any Apps there won’t be a new charge - you are essentially restoring purchases.

If this is not a natural set of steps from your past - then call Apple Support and they will walk you through it. Plan on spending a few hours from start to finish.

Please don’t PM me - I’m not with Apple. I helped launch the original iPhone but don’t have a dog in this hunt. I’m just sharing what worked for me in the spirit of community.

YMMV.

Based on your description, and the calculated hourly rate of my pay in my day job, it would be a lot cheaper to buy a brand new phone than to deal with this cluster flock fix. (This takes me back to the old iPhones that would lose all your contacts when IOS updated.) Totally ridiculous that the consumer has to endure this level of pain to upgrade their phone.

Another good reason not to buy a new iPhone.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 11:13 AM   #213
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I went to check out the new phones the other day. I really see no difference over my X. The XS Max is nice, but too big for me, I think. I really like the form factor of the X. Even though I owned multiple Plus models in the past, when I hold the bigger phones now, they feel uncomfortable.

I also checked out the watches. I thought I may buy one, but after playing with it for 5 minutes, I thought it was a waste of money. I just don’t think smart watches are for me.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 11:32 AM   #214
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

Based on your description, and the calculated hourly rate of my pay in my day job, it would be a lot cheaper to buy a brand new phone than to deal with this cluster flock fix. (This takes me back to the old iPhones that would lose all your contacts when IOS updated.) Totally ridiculous that the consumer has to endure this level of pain to upgrade their phone.

Another good reason not to buy a new iPhone.

One man’s pain is another man’s pleasure. I sort of liked working out the issues.

If you have several integration instances like Mac, iPad, AirPods, Apple Watch 3 or 4, Home Pod, CarPlay, etc. all working with your iPhone - I am amazed at how few issues there were.

But I get your point if this is not your cup of tea.

On the other hand, some people take hours obsessively washing polishing, changing bracelets, etc on a mechanical watch...

Old 1 October 2018, 11:35 AM   #215
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I really see no difference over my X. The XS Max is nice, but too big for me, I think. I really like the form factor of the X.

I agree. I was an iPhone X’er, too.
And I believe the “s” models are not worth the extra money.

Only reason I upgraded from the X was to get the Max. It is large enough that I now don’t need to tote around my iPad Mini.

Old 1 October 2018, 06:31 PM   #216
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I haven't had an iPhone since the 5, since then I have had Flagship Samsung, Nexus or Pixel phones, my last being a Pixel 2. I set up my phones how they worked for me and then left them, they were all fabulous phones, no stutter or slow downs as have been mentioned here about Android phones.

Last week I finally swapped back to an iPhone XS, my thoughts? It's an absolutely beautiful phone that does what it does, superbly well.

Here's the thing, It does some things better than Android and Android does some things better, it's all down to which OS one prefers, I like this phone and will use it for about 2 years, after that? Who knows.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 07:06 PM   #217
Andad

Watch: A few.
I kept my iPhone 6 but upgraded other iPhones to 8’s.

The old model 6’s were updated to the latest software and the data backed up (encrypted) to iTunes.
The new 8’s were plugged in and the corresponding data downloaded.

Everything worked ok on the new 8’s including all apps, wireless and email settings etc.

I updated my old mini iPad to the latest mini again similar data changeover.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 11:09 PM   #218
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:

YMMV.

So I’m lookin for a little help.

I bought the original iPhone X last year and the phone gave me nothing but trouble.
I kept going back to my local Apple store for help to no avail.
Then last month I finally got a great Apple genius who finally ran diagnostics on the phone and it failed so I got a brand new iPhone X.

Now everything works as it should perfectly except the iPhone will not automatically backup to the cloud at night when plugged in and on WiFi with the screen locked.
I can manually do a backup if I select backup now and it works fine.

Is there a fix for this?
Thank you.
Maybelline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 02:21 AM   #219
77T

Go to Settings>AppleID>

Choose your device from the list...see the arrow in the photo for mine.

Now in Device Info make sure iCloud Backup is turned on.

Outside of that, I see a call to Apple Support in your future.

Old 3 October 2018, 11:24 AM   #220
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:
Go to Settings>AppleID>

Choose your device from the list...see the arrow in the photo for mine.

Now in Device Info make sure iCloud Backup is turned on.

Outside of that, I see a call to Apple Support in your future.

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately iCloud backup is on.
Old 4 October 2018, 06:05 AM   #221
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately iCloud backup is on.
Set iCloud backup to off and made a restart and then put it on again.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 08:49 AM   #222
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Set iCloud backup to off and made a restart and then put it on again.
I called Apple support and they had me reset all settings so I will see if that works tonight.

If not I will try your suggestion.