The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 1 August 2018, 04:30 AM   #1
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Hoarder - 26 watches - seeking advice on reducing my collection

Long time lurker here.

I'll split this long story into a few posts so that I can post a pic of my collection once I reach 10 posts.

So here's my story. I have always been interested in watches. I've accumulated too many - 26 watches - and I want advice on what to do.

I decided to post in the PP forum as I wanted to talk about my own PP purchases and perhaps what to get next. I'd really appreciate input from all of you here! Thanks in advance.
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 04:30 AM   #2
qrc36
"TRF" Member

MY STORY

At the age of 14 (in the mid-1990s), I already had catalogs from Rolex, JLC and AP.

I was particularly fascinated by the Atmos clock running on air temperature differences and the sliding mechanism of the Reverso. I also loved the look of Rolex sports watches. And I knew about the Royal Oak being the first stainless steel watch. All of this at the age of 14.

I wore an Oris watch all the way through high school and university. Got a Rolex datejust from my dad after graduating from university.

Through the years I have been buying a lot of watches, but I didn't wear half of them....

(oops I'm not allowed to post more on this thread until a moderator approves ...)
Old 1 August 2018, 04:30 AM   #3
qrc36
"TRF" Member

MY PP ACCIDENT(S)

I got the 5711 white / 5712 / 5726 grey / 5167 steel bracelet all within 12 months. I call it an "accident". I was supposed to get these 4 watches over a few years.

I never intended to get so many PPs in a short period of time. I read in this forum that there's a very long waiting list for 5711 / 5712, so I started with the 5167/1A and the 5726.

I got both the 5167/1A and 5726 from the same AD in Switzerland, just by emailing and asking. I wired a deposit once the piece arrived, then flew over within a few weeks to purchase it.

For some reason I ended up getting the 5711 and 5712 around 4 or 5 months after putting my name down on the waiting list in HK (5711) and London (5712). In HK I just walked into an AD and gave them my business card - I had no relationship with the AD. In London I was referred by a friend who was an established client of the AD, perhaps that helped. This was amazingly fast.

It seemed there were lots of 5712 when I got mine - I got news from London, HK and Switzerland within the same month, telling me that the 5712 arrived.

So the 4 purchases made a big dent to my bank account but I told myself "I would have gotten these anyway ... I just got them earlier than expected."

After the 5711 / 5712 / 5726 / 5167 I started appreciating the PP annual calendars in leather strap. I've never been a guy who likes leather strap watches but I was mesmerized by the 5235 (regulator) and the 5146G (grey dial). I bought them because they're too pretty and I wanted it.

My main AD in HK treats me well. Lots of PP gifts (gloves, travel boxes, tie, lapel pin, loupe, Limoges porcelain dish, cufflinks box ...) plus invites to dinner parties and vouchers to redeem goodies over Chinese festivals such as cakes and puddings (which I give to my parents). I have helped 2 friends get 5712 within a few months - using their business card and registering their name - I've been told that ADs have a lot of power regarding so-called waiting lists. My AD says the most important thing is a decent job title such as a "Professor of [a medical specialty]" at the University of Hong Kong.
Old 1 August 2018, 04:39 AM   #4
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
24? yeah that's a lot
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 07:49 AM   #5
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I'm curious to see the collection.

So 26 is too many, and you want advice on what to get next? You'll fit right in here. TRF should give you a special exemption to post pics.
Old 1 August 2018, 08:03 AM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Since you posted this in the Patek forum, how many Pateks do you have? What is your goal - to consolidate your collection down to a certain number?

Since HKG is the "unofficial" watch retailers capital of the world, you are in a good place to buy/sell and consolidate your existing collection.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 09:57 AM   #7
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Certainly hope you will be able to post more soon. Very interested to see your collection.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 10:33 AM   #8
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Just post a few casual posts on other sub forums to reach the 10 limit to post photos, or at least just write down the ones you have, also quite curious to which ones you have

Oh I had it wrong with 24, 26 is even more interesting lol
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 10:34 AM   #9
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Hoarder - 26 watches - seeking advice on reducing my collection

Pro tip: leave a bunch of “congrats” type comments on incoming posts to get over the minimum, that’s what I did when I joined hahaha
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 10:48 AM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Someone needs to hit the word association game thread lol
Old 1 August 2018, 10:53 AM   #11
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
This should be an interesting thread. Get your 10 posts in, I want to know more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 August 2018, 11:30 AM   #12
qrc36
"TRF" Member

(My PP story is several posts up in post #3)
(Current PP: 5711 white dial / 5712 / 5726 grey dual / 5167 steel bracelet / 5235 / 5146G grey dial)

MY HABITS
I don't like rotating watches. I'm lazy. Most of the time it's just one watch on my wrist for months and months. The the GMT2 is my favorite and I've worn it on and off for at least 5 years. That's a record for me.

All of my watches (apart from 1 or 2 that I currently wear) are in the bank safe. It's just across the street from my office so I sometimes go there in my lunch hour to visit them. They have great air conditioning at the bank. I don't bother with winders - too lazy. I do wind my PP once every 1-2 months when I visit them. My PP are in a nice travel watch case. The others are just wrapped in handkerchiefs and stuffed into the bank safe. There's no room for more padding/protection.
Old 1 August 2018, 11:33 AM   #13
qrc36
"TRF" Member

WHAT MAKES ME SMILE
I'm happy just owning a watch. I like looking at it, admiring it. I don't need to wear it to be happy. Just visiting my watches in the bank safe is good enough for me. Is this normal?

Of course I like the whole process of "falling in love" with a watch, doing a lot of research, looking at Youtube videos, visiting the AD and trying it on and (almost) hearing the watch say "take me home!" ... and then the thrill of buying it and taking it home.

But a recent visit to the bank safe tells me that I'm not getting that much "joy" from some of my watches anymore.

WHAT MY FRIENDS SAY
They call me a hoarder, rightly so.

They tell me I'm a bad person because I just buy watches and lock them away. They feel sorry for my watches that are lying in the safe deposit box, unloved and unworn. They say it's a waste that many of the watches have never been worn after leaving the shop.

They tell me to keep the watches with sentimental value, and sell the ones that I've never worn and will never wear.
Old 1 August 2018, 11:36 AM   #14
OP15
"TRF" Member

Interested...like the rest. Get to posting.
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 01:32 PM   #15
qrc36
"TRF" Member

WHAT I WANT TO GET NEXT
I am planning on getting the PP 5740 Nautilus white gold perpetual calendar for my 40th birthday in 2020, which my AD says won't be a problem. They even offered to get me on the first shipment but I told myself no more PP for 2018!

Any ideas on what other PP I should have my sights on? I have been thinking of getting the 5726 (white dial) even though I already have the grey dial, 5164, and 5230. But perhaps I'll just focus on the 5740 (and its big price tag).

I also quite like the AP 26574 steel perpetual calendar with blue or silver dial.

Also promised myself (and my personal trainer) to get the Lange Saxonia Moonphase when (and if) I lose 20 pounds. I quite like the Lange Zeitwerk too apart from the price tag.

WHAT I WANT ADVICE ON
Money is really not that big of an issue. I don't need to sell any watches to raise cash for the 5740 / 26574 / Lange. But my collection is growing too large and I am starting to feel bad for the watches that I no longer really like and will never wear.

Oh and I'm running out of space in my bank safe deposit box ... in HK it's hard to get another one as there are long waiting lists for them (real estate is scarce here!)

I will not sell any of my PP watches ... even though I have no plans to wear any of them. I just enjoy looking at them at the bank safe at lunchtime.

So have a look at the list in the post below - would it make sense to sell some of them, and if so - which ones? I have no clue about current market prices for second hand watches.
Old 1 August 2018, 01:44 PM   #16
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
WHAT I WANT TO GET NEXT
I am planning on getting the PP 5740 Nautilus white gold perpetual calendar for my 40th birthday in 2020, which my AD says won't be a problem. They even offered to get me on the first shipment but I told myself no more PP for 2018!

Any ideas on what other PP I should have my sights on? I have been thinking of getting the 5726 (white dial) even though I already have the grey dial, 5164, and 5230. But perhaps I'll just focus on the 5740 (and its big price tag).

I also quite like the AP 26574 steel perpetual calendar with blue or silver dial.

Also promised myself (and my personal trainer) to get the Lange Saxonia Moonphase when (and if) I lose 20 pounds. I quite like the Lange Zeitwerk too apart from the price tag.

WHAT I WANT ADVICE ON
Money is really not that big of an issue. I don't need to sell any watches to raise cash for the 5740 / 26574 / Lange. But my collection is growing too large and I am starting to feel bad for the watches that I no longer really like and will never wear.

Oh and I'm running out of space in my bank safe deposit box ... in HK it's hard to get another one as there are long waiting lists for them (real estate is scarce here!)

I will not sell any of my PP watches ... even though I have no plans to wear any of them. I just enjoy looking at them at the bank safe at lunchtime.

So have a look at the list in the post below - would it make sense to sell some of them, and if so - which ones? I have no clue about current market prices for second hand watches.
Send a few to me, plenty of vast, open forests, land and lakes here in Ontario, Canada, and I personally have lots of space, and could easily handle say, 6-10 of your watches no problem, I'll wear them, keep them company, and we can arrange to rotate back and forth so all your collection is looked after and appreciated...PM me and we can exchange details!

Here is a small taste of Canada's Hinterland, where your watches can and will enjoy the song of the Loon...

Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 03:13 PM   #17
qrc36
"TRF" Member

MY PURCHASES - LIST AND PHOTOS

I only buy from AD (apart from the PVD Rolex Explorer I) and here are the watches I have, their dates and prices. I have obscured the prices for recent purchases - all from AD, some with discount.

(Converting from HK$ to US$ : divide by 7.75)

I have listed the condition of the watches - over half of them are basically unworn (apart from trying it on in the shop). I've also indicated if I like the watch or not.

Watches 1-25 are in the pics. Can't find the 26th watch ... it must be somewhere at home.

(First time posting pics, hope it turns out right)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-compress-image.jpg (189.0 KB, 1162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1592.jpg (287.4 KB, 1155 views)
File Type: jpg img_1593.jpg (186.4 KB, 1160 views)
Old 1 August 2018, 03:59 PM   #18
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:

I only buy from AD (apart from the PVD Rolex Explorer I) and here are the watches I have, their dates and prices. I have obscured the prices for recent purchases - all from AD, some with discount.

I have listed the condition of the watches - over half of them are basically unworn (apart from trying it on in the shop). I've also indicated if I like the watch or not.

Watches 1-25 are in the pics. Can't find the 26th watch ... it must be somewhere at home.

That’s incredible, what a collection!! I think the easy way to start cutting out would be getting rid of the two “not really”s and a few “not anymore” that you’ve never worn, followed by the ones marked as daily wear.
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 04:30 PM   #19
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Anything never worn, or that you don’t like anymore I’d sell. If you just want some watches to sit in a safe I’d get something like a 3700, 5070, 5970 or vintage Daytona.
RussW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 05:01 PM   #20
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You love your Pateks but they’re unworn?
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 05:20 PM   #21
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
You know that feeling of total and utter inadequacy .......
Old 1 August 2018, 05:34 PM   #22
qrc36
"TRF" Member

jon_jon - I have 6 right now, hoping to add a few more ... 5740 is my next goal.

Phrank - thank you for your offer - I'm sure my watches will enjoy the crisp air in Ontario a lot more than the air conditioned bank safe deposit underground facility!

mnl - thank you - yes I do need to start trimming down. sometimes I wonder why I bought those pieces (marked "not anymore") ... although I'm sure I was thrilled when I got those watches back then.

Simon040289 - I love how they look - but I'm just too scared to wear them for the fear of scratching them! I cringe when I see the dents and scratches posted by others on this forum ... right now I'm happy just visiting them at the bank and admiring them. Perhaps I'm loving them more by not exposing them to scratches? Weird reasoning, I know ....
Old 1 August 2018, 05:35 PM   #23
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
This is a wonderful problem to have, with so many nice watches and a bank safe that is bursting at the seams. However, the solution is relatively straight-forward - just sell those watches that you don't like anymore (I counted 13 in your list). This should free up 13 spaces in your bank safe for you to add more Pateks/AP/Lange. The 5740 is really nice and should definitely be part of your collection, no question.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 08:54 PM   #24
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I don't see a problem?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 09:16 PM   #25
dom007
"TRF" Member

Watch: on the dark side
All of your six Pateks are still unworn and now you think about adding a 7th?

The only thing I can say...

or
dom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 09:18 PM   #26
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
So you enjoy buying more than wearing.

Not for me but what is the problem again?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 09:21 PM   #27
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
I recently did the same thing. I sold my entire collection back in Dec (12pcs). I sent everything to Sotheby's. It was made up of vintage PP. My goal was to step up the watches in the collection. Still working on acquiring the "right" pieces.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 09:49 PM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
OK so main advice is WEAR THEM! They are only watches and it's a tragic waste just to have them all never worn. Plus you can get PP to polish them up so no problem there, so get them on you. You will also find some work better on you than others so that will decide which stay and which go.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 10:02 PM   #29
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:

Wow. You went whole hog.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 10:33 PM   #30
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
OK so main advice is WEAR THEM! They are only watches and it's a tragic waste just to have them all never worn. Plus you can get PP to polish them up so no problem there, so get them on you. You will also find some work better on you than others so that will decide which stay and which go.
I agree fully!

But, we are all different. If you enjoy visiting them, so be it. You have a wonderful collection.

I would wear every single one. Life is too short not to.

That white Daytona would love Chicago air, I can help with that.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote