The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 December 2021, 04:50 PM   #1
hikaru123456
"TRF" Member

Icon11 I was offered the Sky Dweller...

It came as a surprise.. but I was offered the Sky Dweller 2021 version on jubliee bracelet.. I dont have much understanding about this watch.. i like the design but the price is on the high side... Just wonder whats the investment value is like? <- my mistake, not flipping for sure but just curious so its a random qns, amended slightly to clarify, should be using the word "retaining value"

I saw youtube review on this watch is that it is much thicker compared to other rolex models. Its even thicker than GMT and review seem to say its hard to stuff it under the long sleeve at times.
Ok now I am not even sure does it classified as a sports model
hikaru123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:55 PM   #2
Jimmy74
"TRF" Member

��
Jimmy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:57 PM   #3
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Inquiring about investment value? Big TRF no-no.
Old 17 December 2021, 04:59 PM   #4
Jimmy74
"TRF" Member

If you don’t « have much understanding about this watch » you’ d better be interested in learning more about it rather than its supposed « investment value », especially if price is on your « high side ».

Buy what you like/wear what you buy should be a good rule of thumb.
Old 17 December 2021, 05:00 PM   #5
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
You might take a bath on the TT?

Buy it if you like it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 05:01 PM   #6
Jimmy74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Inquiring about investment value? Big TRF no-no.
Exactly!

Let me rephrase this post: «  I don’t especially like this watch nor do I know anything about it, but I understood Rolexes are hard to get so if I buy it how much could I get from flipping? »
Old 17 December 2021, 05:15 PM   #7
eijiboy
Banned

I was offered the Sky Dweller...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy74 View Post
Exactly!

Let me rephrase this post: «  I don’t especially like this watch nor do I know anything about it, but I understood Rolexes are hard to get so if I buy it how much could I get from flipping? »

Exactly. Wants to buy it and flip and maybe hes hoping he can get the sports watch sooner since he bought this watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eijiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 05:26 PM   #8
rkny
"TRF" Member

Don’t see how this is considered a sport watch. It’s a Datejust with some extra doodads.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 05:29 PM   #9
hikaru123456
"TRF" Member

Thanks all, well I am not going to flip it for sure. Just curious so asked about the investment value.
I am considering because the dial looks very complicated actually.
And when I look at the annual calender mode, it takes quite some effort to hack the watch.
I rotate my watches so very frequently, it will stop and needs to be hack again frequently.
Old 17 December 2021, 05:30 PM   #10
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Poor post, we're not here to offer investment advice.
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 05:30 PM   #11
hikaru123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkny View Post
Don’t see how this is considered a sport watch. It’s a Datejust with some extra doodads.
i agree with you after reconsidering, it does look very identical to a datejust model.

Clarified on the wrong choice of words at the first thread.

Anyway thanks again all, had make my decision.
Old 17 December 2021, 06:06 PM   #12
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
depends on the colour of the dial.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 06:13 PM   #13
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Haha, I have been waiting for 2 yrs not being offered a single one. You re so lucky. Just take it whatever it is, no regret
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 06:21 PM   #14
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Well he didn’t say what kind of SKyD. It could be a TT or PM model on oyster flex, which aren’t as hard to come by.

Personally I think the SkyD is too thick and too big. It’s a beautiful watch, and I really like the way Rolex did the annual calendar complication. But I don’t think it wears well on my wrist (7.25”) cause it’s just too massive looking.

P.s. If you’re interested in resale value, just take a look at chrono24. It’s a pretty good indication.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 06:31 PM   #15
majidessa
"TRF" Member

You have to give more info, SS models are most sought after with the blue dial is the hardest to get however, TT variations are least desirable. The Sky dweller is the most complicated watch in Rolex line and that what made it special.

Nowadays any Rolex at retail is a good buy, if you are offered one and you want to flip it there is nothing wrong with that, and in terms of value retention most probably you won't lose money.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 06:33 PM   #16
hikaru123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
depends on the colour of the dial.
Its a black dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimepieceRPP View Post
Haha, I have been waiting for 2 yrs not being offered a single one. You re so lucky. Just take it whatever it is, no regret
Thanks for your advice, hope you get yours soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Well he didn’t say what kind of SKyD. It could be a TT or PM model on oyster flex, which aren’t as hard to come by.

Personally I think the SkyD is too thick and too big. It’s a beautiful watch, and I really like the way Rolex did the annual calendar complication. But I don’t think it wears well on my wrist (7.25”) cause it’s just too massive looking.

P.s. If you’re interested in resale value, just take a look at chrono24. It’s a pretty good indication.
Its a two tone model on jubilee bracelet
i suddenly just feel hacking the watch maybe on a few days basis is quite tedious which will warrant it much less wrist time.
Old 17 December 2021, 06:35 PM   #17
hikaru123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majidessa View Post
You have to give more info, SS models are most sought after with the blue dial is the hardest to get however, TT variations are least desirable. The Sky dweller is the most complicated watch in Rolex line and that what made it special.

Nowadays any Rolex at retail is a good buy, if you are offered one and you want to flip it there is nothing wrong with that, and in terms of value retention most probably you won't lose money.
thanks for the advice.. i did not realised TT was the least desirable even for Sky Dweller, thought the TT actually makes it more attractive haha..

Not going to flip it for sure.. just that the inital retail price is not low for this model as well.
Old 17 December 2021, 06:41 PM   #18
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru123456 View Post
..I was offered the Sky Dweller 2021 version on jubliee bracelet.. I dont have much understanding about this watch.. i like the design but the price is on the high side... Just wonder whats the investment value is like? <- my mistake, not flipping for sure but just curious
The TT DJ36 you recently bought looked like a good size on your wrist. I even wondered if it was a 41 for a moment.

I'm not convinced you'd actually wear a SkyD.

If you're investing then no point asking for advice here. Do your own research 'cause you're the one who's going to have to sell it. Got to think these things through...
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 06:48 PM   #19
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thanks for the advice.. i did not realised TT was the least desirable even for Sky Dweller, thought the TT actually makes it more attractive haha..

Not going to flip it for sure.. just that the inital retail price is not low for this model as well.

If you like TT buy one, nothing wrong with it for sure some stay away because they are more blingy, also the type of bracelet is important Jubilee Vs oyster with the later being more sporty.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 06:49 PM   #20
hikaru123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
The TT DJ36 you recently bought looked like a good size on your wrist. I even wondered if it was a 41 for a moment.

I'm not convinced you'd actually wear a SkyD.

If you're investing then no point asking for advice here. Do your own research 'cause you're the one who's going to have to sell it. Got to think these things through...
Thanks for the advice, agreed the 36mm is a good size for me as I used to have a dated sub at 40mm which in the end, i keep knocking it on to other things...
Old 17 December 2021, 07:19 PM   #21
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
Quote:
Thanks all, well I am not going to flip it for sure. Just curious so asked about the investment value.
And when I look at the annual calender mode, it takes quite some effort to hack the watch.
I rotate my watches so very frequently, it will stop and needs to be hack again frequently.

You mean advancing the date (thanks to the annual calendar that’s all you need to do) and then setting the time is hard? Even if you did not wear the watch for months, thanks to the command bezel setting system, this watch is one of the quickest to set….
Koolpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 07:24 PM   #22
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
I was offered the Sky Dweller...

31mm looks good on wifey’s wrist, I can pull off a Sky Dweller. But my advice is - just try it on before. If you are used to 36mm then this is huge.

Here the 36mm Explorer I two tone on my wrist for comparison.

Koolpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 08:16 PM   #23
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It has zero investment value. It's a watch. If you want to know how much some people are trying to gouge out of it, try eBay, Chrono24, Watchfinder... TRF is not the place for such discussions.

Quote:
It's a simple dial to read, given that the watch has a number of complications. One thing to watch out for is the reference time disk. I have found that some colour combinations are easier to read at a glance than others.

Quote:
The Sky Dweller is very simple to hack and set up. I don't think it could be any easier. This is the beauty of the 9001 movement, it's cleverness lies in its simplicity and user friendliness. The clever simplicity continues onto the dial and how it lays all the information out.

The Sky Dweller is my favourite Rolex model. I am biased. I've never met one I don't love.

Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 08:36 PM   #24
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I passed on the SS black dial, TT and PM but waiting for the blue dial.

Buy and wear what you like only.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Carree 2961, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 09:04 PM   #25
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:

But then so is a GMT, Sub Date, and Day Date. For me it’s too large and complicated.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 09:08 PM   #26
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Flippers usually stay away from 2 tone….. so OP should probably pass
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 09:30 PM   #27
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It isn't. It's a Rolex Classic model. It has a Rolex Professional complication and a visual reference to a Professional model, which is a nice touch.

The Milgauss is a Rolex Professional model in a Rolex Classic case. These little hybrid wrinkles make Rolex all the more interesting to me.
Old 17 December 2021, 10:52 PM   #28
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
Do it. The DJ41 feels small and the fluted bezel has less impact vs the sky. It’s got great weight behind it too.
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 10:59 PM   #29
JodyHighroller
Banned

Go view the watch in person and see how it wears. It is a thick watch because the movement complications.

Investment and flipping are considered pretty much the same around these parts. Just buy what you like, but so far it sounds like this may not be the right fit for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
It isn't. It's a Rolex Classic model. It has a Rolex Professional complication and a visual reference to a Professional model, which is a nice touch.

The Milgauss is a Rolex Professional model in a Rolex Classic case. These little hybrid wrinkles make Rolex all the more interesting to me.
Correct. To further add, there’s no such thing as a professional/sport model with a fluted bezel.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 02:35 AM   #30
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
there’s no such thing as a professional/sport model with a fluted bezel.
Good point. My inner nerd is having a good day today.