The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: do you think the ss sd 43 is a great reference ?
yes very much 350 73.53%
ehh, not so much 126 26.47%
Voters: 476. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 August 2019, 07:55 AM   #91
CarrJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolextellstime View Post
I currently own said watch and I absolutely love it, it gets most of the wrist time.
It is a slight heavier watch but the fit and comfort on the wrist is excellent, the proportions are just right, and the red text is the cherry on top.
I like the cyclope on the date window and since the watch is bigger than a sub the cyclope is not that intrusive as the dial is bigger. In my opinion, it is the best SD produced ever. Also the dial is kind of special as it can look dark Matt grey under certain light conditions and also pitch black. I have not seen this in any other rolex model.
I would recommend it.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

This exactly. Wears a little bigger than a Sub. Cyclops doesn’t bother me and rather love it. Weight wise it’s very comfortable. Little lighter than my WG so I’m used to the weight. It’s also my daily now. Would recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CarrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 08:51 AM   #92
meatman
"TRF" Member

Have had mine 3 days. Nicest Rolex I have ever owned. I have 7 1/4" wrist, so the fit is great. The red script on the dial baited the hook. I saved the best for last. You will love it. If grey market prices are any indications, 2 to 4 grand over suggested retail, it is a very much in demand model.
meatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 10:41 AM   #93
delboylee
"TRF" Member

I like it. I don’t own one but this is up there for my next. I’ve always wanted a diver but found the sub too plain and common (no offence to sub owners). This would pair up nicely with my gmt, Daytona and DJ :)

I like the fact it’s bigger, more unique and has some red text.
delboylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 11:01 AM   #94
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
It's a dive watch designed to be worn on a NATO, or on the steel bracelet extended to go around a wet suit. If you want a dive watch to fit under the cuff then consider the Submariner or many other 40mm or smaller references. I wear my SD43 very often, but I don't wear a long sleeve shirt everyday at work. When I wear a dress shirt, then my datejust get's the call for that duty.
Old 25 August 2019, 11:02 AM   #95
nick800
"TRF" Member

If they made a full gold, I’d buy it tomorrow.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 01:56 PM   #96
gsteve
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
I have ambivalent feelings about this iteration of the sea dweller. While I would consider one, it really just seems like a larger sub with a helium escape valve (useless for most people BTW). I’m still not sure about the (to me) out of proportion bezel but I’m guessing I’d get used to it quickly. I prefer my Deep Sea over this one; if I didn’t have a Deep Sea I might consider it. If you aren’t sure, then don’t get it. If you are buying it because it’s hard to get then you REALLY shouldn’t buy one...
I thought i was the only one to think that about the bezel proportions , i prefer the dssd.
gsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 05:08 PM   #97
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

A watch designed for the oceans darkest depths. No doubt to take on the mighty Megalodon, and win; What’s more, robust enough to cut down giant redwoods with it’s bezel!

The SD43 is all that is man❗️

All kidding aside, I find it to be one of the finest, and aesthetically pleasing watches of the Rolex range.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:48 PM   #98
lear60man
"TRF" Member

Am I the only one who had never measured their wrist? I bought one a few months ago and its in regular rotation with my blusey. Never considered wrist size as a precursor to what watch I can own. Ignorance is bliss in this kid.
lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 08:21 PM   #99
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry F. View Post
hello fellow forum members

I'm on the list for the ss sd43 and should get the call in the next couple of months. as it's listed at 10.8k and that's quiet an amount for me, I wonder if I should pull the trigger ? Therefore, I need some of your input to help me get convinced of this watch or install some more doubt

Well, my question is, for the members who own or have owned the ss sd43...what is your general feeling for this watch (weight, proportions, lume, built etc...) ?

and members who don't like the watch, what do you dislike about it ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards

I am one week on the wrist with my SD43 and I’m loving it. I’m fortunate to have a robust collection of different Rolex’s and had never even considered the SD; it just wasn’t on my radar. A week before Fri I received an unexpected call from my AD who told me they just got one in and if I wanted it, to get there before Monday EOB. I tried to do some homework and read several articles about it (sort of the same reasoning as to why Henry started this thread) and was 50/50 in my head when I went into the HD this past Monday. I tried it on. Walked around the store with it, then swiped the Amex and she was mine. I love it. Funny thing is I put my sub c on for an hour yesterday afternoon and it now seems ‘bite size’ after wearing the SD43 all week. This is a fantastic watch. Unless I’m on a cruise ship and accidentally fall overboard I sincerely doubt I will ever need the HEV, but I also own a few Daytona’s and I don’t expect to be in the racing pits anytime soon either. If you have an opportunity and your not using the rent money, get it. And I have a 7.5 wrist

LoveTheCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 09:01 PM   #100
Pete17
"TRF" Member

I absolutely love mine. Perfect size and perfectly weighted. Very comfortable to wear with or without shirt/jacket sleeves. The nod to the first SD is the icing on the cake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 25 August 2019, 10:04 PM   #101
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The SD43 is a great Rolex reference. If you want to put that much money into a SS diver the SD43 should be on the table. I have owned it several times and have always sold it for more than I had in it. It is a lot of money and I have found that my Tudor LHD and my Seiko Marine Master cover the same ground for me for 5K total. I will probably buy it again, as I am a sucker for Rolex divers and have too much time and money on my hands.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 10:24 PM   #102
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Absolutely!! Great time piece!! Steroid version of the sub but not over exaggerated ! Good luck !
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 12:15 AM   #103
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
It is the only SS Rolex sport model that I have every walked into an AD and had the offer to buy same day. I didn't even have a relationship with that AD. I looked in the empty case and asked if they had any SS sport models and they said hold on a moment and brought out the SD43. (turns out they called 6 people on the list and everyone either already had one or did not answer) I almost pulled the trigger on scarcity alone. It is an amazing watch and I agree it way closer to a Sub than a Deepsea. I ended up passing as I was waiting for a Hulk (that I received 3 weeks later) I have 6.75 inch flat wrist and it fit fine on me. I say, if you like it, get it. You probably won't see another in the wild.
Texex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 01:45 AM   #104
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
It fits great on my 7.75 in wrist.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 03:26 AM   #105
djgallo
Banned

I got very lucky and got mine from an AD. The watch is excellent in almost all aspects. I like the red writing on the dial but I’m still not sure about the date cyclops. I always liked the previous sea dwellers without the cyclops, as the date blended with the dial better than with a cyclops IMO. And that is directly related to me and my preference to the submariner no date. If you have a chance to grab one from an AD go for it, if you end up not liking worst case scenario - sell it. You shouldn't lose any money.
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 03:52 AM   #106
Seaborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I like it
Seaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 07:11 PM   #107
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Interestingly whenever there’s a discussion about this watch folk will always say “if you have the wrist for it” or “you need a 7.5” wrist to pull it off”. Yet by my count there are five owners on here (including me) who’ve ‘fessed up to having a 6.75” or smaller wrist. Which backs up the comments above about how the watch wears smaller than its measurements suggest.

Well either that or the five of us have some weird wrist/watch perception dysmorphia.

I don't think its a weird dysmorphia Sal, its just what our personal preference is

I tried on a 36mm Day Date (rose gold, black dial, RG arabics)

A beautiful watch (I love RG) but it felt and looked (to me) tiny on my wrist.

Had I taken a close up wrist pic I'd recon 90% of the comments would be that it was the perfect size. But it looked like a toy from my perspective. And my wrist is only 6.75 inches.

When I strapped my Sea Dweller back on it just felt right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb359 View Post
Probably just that you have a different preference on what looks big, or what you like to wear. Wrist circumference doesn't always tell the whole story, as wrist shape and other things affect how it looks too. I don't think it wears smaller than it is, some people just like the look of a bigger watch.

To me it looks way too big (and too loose) on eijiboy's wrist. If he likes that though, perfect, thats what he should be wearing. Nobody needs approval from anyone here to wear what they like, and there will always be a wide variety of opinions on any watch topic like this

100% agree.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 07:21 PM   #108
finestdealer
"TRF" Member

Love it .
finestdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 07:42 PM   #109
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
The SD43 is a dream come true, I had a 16610 and whenever I compared it with my UTS it seemed small and its lugs thin, it came out the 116610 and I loved the maxi case, then in 2017 the SD43 and it is as made for my taste! BUT I like Diver watches!

abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 10:50 AM   #110
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

how do you feel about the ss sd43 ?

In terms of size for some perspective, a BB probably wears bigger. Its similar to a GMT visually but a bit thicker

In terms of wrist presence i would rank them BB 41mm > SD43>GMT as far as how big they wear.

People do mention the tudors are big, but people automatically are more likely to be nervous of the SD because of the specs before they even put it on. The size is in your head a lot of times

current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 11:17 AM   #111
Caynuck
"TRF" Member

Great watch
Old 28 August 2019, 11:28 AM   #112
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I got mine almost two years ago and its been my (almost) daily ever since. It is easily my favourite of all the Rolex watches I've owned, eclipsing the prior favourite, my old 16600. Its been everywhere I have.

Whats good:

Proportionally its as near to perfect as any Rolex dive watch can be. Slimmed down lugs and a wider bracelet make a massive difference when compared to supercased references.

The matte dial and that line of red text. When the light hits the dial a certain way it really pops. At other times its very subdued.

The fully indexed bezel is just better balanced.

The cyclops - I acquired mine as a 50th birthday present. As many at my age will tell you, it makes the date much more legible without resorting to the reading glasses.

The Sea Dweller factor. Its just more special than any modern Sub. If you don't "get" that, then Sea Dwellers aren't for you.

What's bad:

Its all subjective of course and in my case the answer really is "nothing". But it is a larger, heavier timepiece compared other steel Rolex watches with the exception of the DeepSea.

Its also thicker than anything Rolex produces other than the DeepSea. It does, however, carry a 4,000 ft depth rating so its going to be thicker.

And lastly, its case back shape (as with all Sea Dwellers before it) can make it less comfortable for some. It probably works best on flatter wrists and needs to be worn more snugly than loosely for a more comfortable fit.

Wrist shape, rather than size, is what matters most. It may be 43 mm, but its only 1 mm or so larger lug to lug than the 6 digit sub, and it definitely wears closer to the Sub than the DeepSea

For reference, my wrist is 6.75 inches. Its a larger watch, but not excessively so. Works with suits, casual, anything. Fits fine under the cuff of a dress shirt.

This is the kind of detailed pros and cons you come to the Rolex Forum for. Really well written. I agree with you on the Sea-Dweller factor. They are much more rare and special in my opinion. And they are just ridiculously cool.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 11:46 AM   #113
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
IDK. i put my wrist right in the average range. 7.25.

No way its too big. Wrist shots always look big too and there is zero overhang even in a wrist shot . anyone know the lug to lug difference vs a sub?

http://www.raygundivision.com/photos/dims.jpg
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=548405

Btw, the writer of this post stated the “height” is actually the lug to lug somewhere earlier in the thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AC5DC1E8-3BAE-44B2-84A5-1B9F699AAD6C.jpeg (85.7 KB, 249 views)
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 11:58 AM   #114
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Very late to this party but here are my

The Sd43 is my favourite Rolex diver. It has absolutely perfect proportions, lovely aesthetics, and it is just a joy to wear.

I have a 7" (when im soaking wet ) flat shaped wrist and feel its wears just about perfect. The only issue I've heard some talk about is the caseback shape ... but it doesnt bother me, in fact it sinks into my wrist, making it wear lower profile than it's 15.2mm spec height.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 28 August 2019, 12:07 PM   #115
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
The best all-around diver Rolex produces IMO. It's a stunning reference
Agreed. I absolutely love mine and it gets the majority of wrist time from my collection.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 01:17 PM   #116
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
I’m nuts about mine. My wrist is a shade shy of 7 inches, but the SD43 is incredibly comfortable for me.

I tend to like SDs generally, as they’re my favorite watches in all iterations. The way the 16660/16600/116600/126600 each sit on my wrist is perfection, from my perspective.

With that said, the SD43 represents the outer limits, size-wise, of my comfort zone. It’s proportions are perfect and as others have said, the dial is a joy to look at in different lights.

I wasn’t interested in it at all when it was issued, but once I tried it on, I was hooked, and have been hooked on it for two years straight, with no end in sight.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 03:41 PM   #117
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
550?

For some reason mine doesn't seem to fit as flush to the wrist. Gonna have to give it another spin after seeing your pics.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 04:58 PM   #118
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
550?

For some reason mine doesn't seem to fit as flush to the wrist. Gonna have to give it another spin after seeing your pics.
330E

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 13 September 2019, 04:05 PM   #119
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

LoveTheCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 06:47 AM   #120
gosling
"TRF" Member

I have a 2008 seadweller and when the SD43 came out I wanted it. Saw it at an SD in Spain but was for another customer. Got mine in March this year. It’s my daily beater. It’s larger than the normal SD but I think it is better proportioned. My other one now feels too small. The cyclops has even grown on me. If I have one grumble the bezel is too loose but the bezel on my 2008 SD is far to tight so minor issue.

All in all very pleased. Pull the trigger.

gosling is offline   Reply With Quote