The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 August 2019, 12:04 AM   #31
nuts070
"TRF" Member

The “list” contains only the names of the VIPs and those with relationships.
nuts070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 12:13 AM   #32
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pius XIII View Post
There are no waiting lists. ADs sell to whomever they want.
Can you clarify this statement please, I am looking for my first Rolex and have asked to be added to the waiting list for a DJ41 in SS which I am advised that I have been. The AD states around 3 months for the watch to come through, am I wasting my time?
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 01:55 AM   #33
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Can you clarify this statement please, I am looking for my first Rolex and have asked to be added to the waiting list for a DJ41 in SS which I am advised that I have been. The AD states around 3 months for the watch to come through, am I wasting my time?

Problem is all Rolex ADs are different. It seems that there’re some where being on a list means something, and others where it’s nothing but an in-house joke.

My AD has no waiting list whatsoever. You’re a VIP, or you’re not. There are even different VIP tiers. Some require you bundle, albeit rather modestly, and of course there is that top tier in which ‘your wish is my command’.

It is game you can choose to play, or not play.

If nothing else, this AD you have spoken with has told you ‘3 months’, so you can hold them to it.

Of course they have no legal obligation to supply you with whatever you desire, regardless of what they told you.

So basically, everybody’s experience is different simply because Rolex allows massive leeway in how ADs allocate their watches provided they adhere to the most important and non-negotiable ‘guidelines’, the main one which appears to be:

Everybody individual watch to be sold at MSRP (or maximum allowable discount off MSRP) but no real restriction on insisting on relationships or bundling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 03:15 AM   #34
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
That sounds about right Martin although you may get it before then,,
I waited a month for a 36mm and would have waited another week or two
for a Dj 41 if I would have choose that model in July at a WOS branch,,
No you are not wasting your time imo,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 03:57 AM   #35
Alex6340
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, PP 5167
My AD closed the orders for the Ceramic Daytona because so many that it take 2-4 years until I get mine.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 26 August 2019, 04:12 AM   #36
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
There are no ‘lists’ - period. Never have been.

Key SAs and Ownership decides where the ‘hot’ references go. And they know before the references even arrive in the store.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 04:52 AM   #37
greeneyedguy
Banned

This is what the I have been told. Every salesman has their client list. When a hot watch comes in they have a meeting and hash out who gets it. He said they get between three and four daytonas a year in each white and black.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 04:58 AM   #38
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
No waitlists. Its a polite way of saying no. Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 05:13 AM   #39
Ace775
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I recently purchased a steel gold sub date from my local AD and when I asked him if this good enough to have me on a “list” for Pepsi he just smiled and gave me that look . He said there is no list and he can’t guarantee one in the next 5 years even if I buy 5 watches .
Ace775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:25 AM   #40
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace775 View Post
I recently purchased a steel gold sub date from my local AD and when I asked him if this good enough to have me on a “list” for Pepsi he just smiled and gave me that look . He said there is no list and he can’t guarantee one in the next 5 years even if I buy 5 watches .

5 watches and.still no guarantees ....that disappointing to hear

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 12:03 PM   #41
TheoMich
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breitling montbril
So if greys are considered the best client for a AD, and second is someone who has already purchased a couple of Rolex’s then a first time Rolex buyer like myself has no chance . I’m on 3 lists and don’t think. I’ll ever see one from an Ad
TheoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 12:06 PM   #42
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoMich View Post
So if greys are considered the best client for a AD, and second is someone who has already purchased a couple of Rolex’s then a first time Rolex buyer like myself has no chance . I’m on 3 lists and don’t think. I’ll ever see one from an Ad

Maybe start out buying a Rolex in the case? A TT DJ or an OP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 07:26 AM   #43
ilyknarf
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
Every AD may be a bit different. Independent retailers will tell you its a "waitlist" but reserve for loyal and big spender customers. Torneau doesn't have a waitlist but you have to get lucky and be vetted into getting one. They tell you they will take down your information. I got luck with my Sub Date as we were purchasing it for my wedding. Also, being persistence is also key!
ilyknarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 07:34 AM   #44
GUICAMPA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameon View Post
I'm going to Spain and Portugal in November, whats the odds of walking into an AD and finding a stainless Submariner?
Forget it... I live there and have a good relationship with both ads in porto. They only sell sports watches to local clients...

Enviado de meu SM-G965F usando o Tapatalk
GUICAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 08:09 AM   #45
minke19104
"TRF" Member

A window shopper going into an AD asking for a SS Sport Series will probably not even get into a waitlist. I was able to source a TT Bluesy from an AD without a prior relationship, however, by waiting about a month or so. This is after asking about 4 or so AD and putting my name into a couple.

Most of the time they just want to make sure you're not an obvious flipper.

Last edited by minke19104; 27 August 2019 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: grammar
minke19104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 09:42 AM   #46
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by my rolex View Post
Does anyone know if a waiting list really exist. My local AD’s tell me I am on there waiting list for a Stainless Daytona and or a Pepsi GMT. In the past I have purchased several Rolex watches and have referred a number of new customers as well.

It’s been over a year and no call. Since then I’ve been by my AD and said hello, and I’m told they haven’t forgotten me. Their response is the back room is empty and Rolex are not sending any stainless sport watches at the moment. AD advised for the holidays Rolex may ship more SS models.

I’m wondering if this is accurate or if AD’s are showing preference to customers who spend large figures with them. After buying and sending business to my AD, one would think they should of called already.

Does any one have experience on this. Or if any one been called from a waiting list. Please share thanks.
The wait lists are bogus! Don't waste your time. AD's only sell steel sports to their VVIP clients at retail, and directly to grey market dealers at over list. Why would they sell to you (or me) when they can sell to their good clients who spend 50-100k in their store, or to grey market dealers at a much higher profit margin (while they also make them buy unwanted two tone models)? Think about it.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 08:12 PM   #47
Pollybampton
"TRF" Member

Here's my experience. I used the same jeweller who is an AD for a good few years, almost exclusively for gifts for my wife. Didn't buy any Rolexes, although my wife bought my Cellini from there. Reason I used them was 3 fold.
1. When studying photography, they would let me borrow jewellry and watches for test shots for free. I never forget a favour.
2. My wife and I would be invited to fantastic promo dinners which was a lovely way of maintaining the client relationship going.
3. I could always haggle over price without fear of embarrassment.
We stopped going to the promo evenings because we actually stopped buying stuff. My wife had all the jewellry she wanted, and as I mentioned in my first post, I wasn't a collector and was happy with my 2 watches.
When I decided I'd like to have a couple of watches for my kids when I pop my clogs, I decided on a SS Daytona and a SS Submariner date, and went in to see my old AD. Everyone has moved on, the owner has retired, his daughter now runs the show. The watch guy sat me down and we had a long chat. He explained that they won't sell Subs or Daytonas to anyone who is not a preferred customer. He checked my past purchases and said maybe 6 months for the SS sub, but could be 17 years for a SS Daytona. I said I was in no rush.
On holiday in the canary islands, an AD I came across had both pieces in bi metal in their window. I was told if I bought both, I could get an SS Daytona. I decided against it. I'm not a collector and not interested in getting involved in buying and selling.
Yesterday, my home AD contacted me, and they have a Sub for me if I want it.
I'm delighted. It took 6 weeks in total. They're not short of customers, so this makes me feel pretty special , and it reinvigorates the past relationship.
I might post a pic later, but in the meantime, here's a couple of snaps from back in the old days of film, 5x4 cameras, no retouching, no photoshop, and my apprenticeship. There's lots wrong with the pics, but it was a start.
Pollybampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 08:59 PM   #48
Pollybampton
"TRF" Member

forgot to attach the pic... doh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test-shots-from-88.jpg (229.0 KB, 66 views)
Pollybampton is offline   Reply With Quote