The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 August 2019, 12:35 AM   #541
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post

That’s cause they look like the type that would appreciate an RM.
never underestimate a ninja
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 03:04 AM   #542
guanxi
"TRF" Member

Great thread, certainly has helped to open my eyes, thank you! I am at the beginning of my journey (16 watches stage) and a collection of 3 is an unreachable and unrealistic goal (like going to the gym more than twice a week). This said I have identified a maximum of 6 pieces that I could let go to make room for some really enjoyable and wearable beauties... I do believe and agree on focusing on 2 max 3 reputable legacy Swiss horology houses : Patek, Rolex, AP
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 06:04 AM   #543
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

I just read through this entire thread. Very informative and entertaining. Jorge is an awesome character! I wish I had a shot at picking up his FPJourne CB a few years ago. I can’t wait for the next update. Still working on figuring out my ultimate collection of 3 to 5.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 11:46 AM   #544
richbcca
"TRF" Member

I tried doing the same thing a few years ago. Went from 16 watches down to 7.
I had a box of 6 and the one I wear makes 7. I told my AD, I can only get a new one if I sell one> There's no space in the case. She gave me a case for 24 watches that Christmas. Now I'm at 20 watches again.
richbcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 01:08 PM   #545
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbcca View Post
I tried doing the same thing a few years ago. Went from 16 watches down to 7.

I had a box of 6 and the one I wear makes 7. I told my AD, I can only get a new one if I sell one> There's no space in the case. She gave me a case for 24 watches that Christmas. Now I'm at 20 watches again.

Four more to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 03:10 PM   #546
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
Jorge - others have commented the same, but I wanted to add mine as well...great post!...and I hope you keep it updated, who cares about the context of the original title..it reflects the journey.

As a new collector...it is a great read into the future...it made me reflect on the current waitlists for the first time as a silver lining - as it has slowed my pace.
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 06:35 AM   #547
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Ok then , I always looked Rolex like a reliable watch that you can beat around and still look cool. And Patek like the ultimate goal. See how things turn around , since I started being serious about the hobby I have never ever been without a Patek. I felt naked without one, actually even with this crazy sport watch market, I tried hard to keep some Patek watches that weren’t tinted with this crazy sport watch market frenzy (5524G and 5960/1a). But at the end everything is suffering on the Patek line unless is Nautilus/Aquanaut. And I also played the sport watch game and got a Nautilus, the problem is to keep the watch in excellent condition. It was stressful and next to impossible to keep it up. So then you ask yourself why buy a 53k watch so you end up telling your wife hey honey be careful with the watch when we hug !! Really? Well that’s not the way i want my hobby to be....and there is my rant , I am sure there is plenty of people that they can see the swirls on the bezel on their Nauti or Aqua and be fine , not me ...I turn green if my 50k watch start looking like that ....lol

I haven’t give up on Patek , I am just taking a break from the brand for a little while. I love the looks of 5712/1a (my first patek) and the new blue 5726. I also love the 5524G that I let go and the grey dial 5960p (that I bought twice ). I suspect that those pieces represent the most likely suspects if there is a comeback to the brand. And usually that happens when the 2 main variables line up properly, 1)intrinsic (whatever is on your head at a particular time) and 2) Extrinsic ( anything that is not in your control : market , opportunity, etc)

Without further ado

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 07:18 AM   #548
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Very interesting update to the collection. Congratulations

Always enjoy watching your collection evolve.

Old 26 August 2019, 07:34 AM   #549
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Ok then , I always looked Rolex like a reliable watch that you can beat around and still look cool. And Patek like the ultimate goal. See how things turn around , since I started being serious about the hobby I have never ever been without a Patek. I felt naked without one, actually even with this crazy sport watch market, I tried hard to keep some Patek watches that weren’t tinted with this crazy sport watch market frenzy (5524G and 5960/1a). But at the end everything is suffering on the Patek line unless is Nautilus/Aquanaut. And I also played the sport watch game and got a Nautilus, the problem is to keep the watch in excellent condition. It was stressful and next to impossible to keep it up. So then you ask yourself why buy a 53k watch so you end up telling your wife hey honey be careful with the watch when we hug !! Really? Well that’s not the way i want my hobby to be....and there is my rant , I am sure there is plenty of people that they can see the swirls on the bezel on their Nauti or Aqua and be fine , not me ...I turn green if my 50k watch start looking like that ....lol

I haven’t give up on Patek , I am just taking a break from the brand for a little while. I love the looks of 5712/1a (my first patek) and the new blue 5726. I also love the 5524G that I let go and the grey dial 5960p (that I bought twice ). I suspect that those pieces represent the most likely suspects if there is a comeback to the brand. And usually that happens when the 2 main variables line up properly, 1)intrinsic (whatever is on your head at a particular time) and 2) Extrinsic ( anything that is not in your control : market , opportunity, etc)

Without further ado

The journey never ends, but this certainly is a fantastic stop along the way! Congrats on a great collection!
Old 26 August 2019, 07:37 AM   #550
martinr
"TRF" Member

That 5905P sure didn’t last long.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 07:44 AM   #551
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Conversion from hoarding all brands to Patek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
The journey never ends, but this certainly is a fantastic stop along the way! Congrats on a great collection!
You are right , it goes on. ...thx bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
That 5905P sure didn’t last long.
You were right when I asked you about 5524 and 5905p. Now I say it’s more likely for me to reacquire 5524 than 5905p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Very interesting update to the collection. Congratulations

Always enjoy watching your collection evolve.

Thanks Gus , appreciated

Albert Einstein
Old 26 August 2019, 07:49 AM   #552
martinr
"TRF" Member

I don’t think buying the same same watch a second time is such a great idea unless you needed the funds for something else that had to be bought right then. I did it once thinking I missed having it and ended up selling it again.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 08:01 AM   #553
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
I don’t think buying the same same watch a second time is such a great idea unless you needed the funds for something else that had to be bought right then. I did it once thinking I missed having it and ended up selling it again.

I think the times I have done that had been in out of the ordinary circumstances, it has to be. Because if you think about it , by buying the same watch again you have to be more than convinced that you want do it because that element of getting a new watch is gone , reacquiring is never as exciting as the 1st time

Albert Einstein
Old 26 August 2019, 08:59 AM   #554
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Looking good J! This crazy hobby takes many twists and turns but I like where You are at. For the sake of the guys on our watch chat... Please No More PANERAI.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:02 AM   #555
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Really nice... definitely noticed the move away from the PP’s. I get it tho
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:12 AM   #556
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Looking good J! This crazy hobby takes many twists and turns but I like where You are at. For the sake of the guys on our watch chat... Please No More PANERAI.
Just curious, what are your thoughts on Panerai?
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:18 AM   #557
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Just curious, what are your thoughts on Panerai?
Jorge is a personal friend and we bust eachother’s balls daily. And I have owned 3 PAMs. I tell him no more PAM and he will admit this because he buys them impulsively (because we are all addicts on here) and loses money when he sells. My wrist is small and girly so for me PAM is a no go but I do like the CE cases at 50% off list LOL

Old 26 August 2019, 09:48 AM   #558
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
great thread - very informative - much appreciate the time you took to share your journey
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 10:10 AM   #559
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Collection looks good Jorge!
Old 26 August 2019, 10:12 AM   #560
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Without further ado

Nice! No Patek, no problem

Old 26 August 2019, 11:19 AM   #561
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

The AP next to the platty is crazy. Nice mix. I’d have to own 1 Patek. I’m sure you’ll be back
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 11:28 AM   #562
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Just read the thread front to back - appreciate you taking the time to document your journey. Thinking this is something I should be doing myself, especially since I have a two incomings in the next few months.

Enjoyed the variety you've had. Glad you've been holding on to the RG44. Centerpiece of my collection :)
Old 26 August 2019, 11:33 AM   #563
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Jorge is a personal friend and we bust eachother’s balls daily. And I have owned 3 PAMs. I tell him no more PAM and he will admit this because he buys them impulsively (because we are all addicts on here) and loses money when he sells. My wrist is small and girly so for me PAM is a no go but I do like the CE cases at 50% off list LOL
They make the Due line for girly wrist just saying
Old 26 August 2019, 12:11 PM   #564
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They make the Due line for girly wrist just saying
I think your daughter needs a PAM. Make it happen my friend

Old 26 August 2019, 12:11 PM   #565
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Ok. But why sacrificing the 5905P? Even if it suffers somewhat in value retention, if you really enjoyed wearing it, you could simply have kept it and be happy. The same goes to the 5524G, which you also love. I totally get that people get tired of some watches and end up flipping (some, faster than others). But selling a watch you love and could potentially wear over the years because the market is not favorable, sounds a bit too much rationalization of a passion. Apologies in advance for these thoughts, which don’t mean to be offensive to anyone disagreeing.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 12:29 PM   #566
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
I think your daughter needs a PAM. Make it happen my friend
I almost bought her a Due on turquoise strap. But mrs. ninja said no
Old 26 August 2019, 02:33 PM   #567
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
You definitely cleaned up the collection and refined it. I have a hard time switching to an omega if I've had a Rolex on. I have a hard time switching to Rolex after I've had a Patek on.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 02:28 AM   #568
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Nice! No Patek, no problem

Lol, yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
The AP next to the platty is crazy. Nice mix. I’d have to own 1 Patek. I’m sure you’ll be back
Yeah that was my rule , have at least 1 patek. The reason to don’t have a patek now it makes sense, that doesn’t mean I couldn’t go back. But in order for something to change , at least one of the current circumstances have to change as well.
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
You definitely cleaned up the collection and refined it. I have a hard time switching to an omega if I've had a Rolex on. I have a hard time switching to Rolex after I've had a Patek on.

Been there done that , now I am doing this. Will see

Quote:
Really nice... definitely noticed the move away from the PP’s. I get it tho
Yeah is kind of sad , but like I said :will see

Quote:
Thx bro , and Panerai in my eyes is just a more affordable cool watch that the market tends to punish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgg43c View Post
great thread - very informative - much appreciate the time you took to share your journey
Your are welcome, thanks for stopping by

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
Just read the thread front to back - appreciate you taking the time to document your journey. Thinking this is something I should be doing myself, especially since I have a two incomings in the next few months.

Enjoyed the variety you've had. Glad you've been holding on to the RG44. Centerpiece of my collection :)
Thanks , it’s about the journey in itself and not the destination
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ WA View Post
Ok. But why sacrificing the 5905P? Even if it suffers somewhat in value retention, if you really enjoyed wearing it, you could simply have kept it and be happy. The same goes to the 5524G, which you also love. I totally get that people get tired of some watches and end up flipping (some, faster than others). But selling a watch you love and could potentially wear over the years because the market is not favorable, sounds a bit too much rationalization of a passion. Apologies in advance for these thoughts, which don’t mean to be offensive to anyone disagreeing.
I thought I did my homework with the 5524G. I buy watches that meet 2 criteria, one is that I have to like the watch, obviously, and the second one is that the watch has minimal or acceptable loss in the market. Obviously my homework was terrible because 12k of a lost is not near acceptable. So I decided to wear it and enjoy it , thinking oh man I am gonna die with this watch, Lol. Then I sent an e-mail regarding the 5905p , I was just curious not serious at all. Since 5960p (prior version) is one of my all time favorites I thought I could play with the idea. I really was shock when they came back with a more than reasonable price for the 5905p and a lost of 6k on my 5524G instead of the 12k that the market dictated. I just thought this is too good to be true and I can afford it , I felt that I had no choice but to take it. 5905p is as close as you can get to a grand complication. Anyway I felt I got a great deal, consulted with some friends and they say you have to be crazy to don’t take the deal. So I did. The watch is cool but never fulfilled the expectations like with my previous 5960p, hey I even felt that I was happier with 5524g. But here is the awaking from the dress watch fantasy. When I decided to depart with it, I quickly learned that the lost in 5905p is really proportional to the 5524g. And the only reason I was able to sell it was because I also bought it for a low amount (proportionally speaking) that aloud me to come close to even with the sale. Nobody cares about complicated or dress watches no more, sad but true

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Collection looks good Jorge!

Thanks Tom

Albert Einstein
Old 29 August 2019, 03:08 AM   #569
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Without further ado

Thanks for the update Jorge - I like the new configuration. I share your anxiety too. Been moving away from Patek for a few years now. Worst fear: losing my WIS credibility! I guess I just had to admit that the delicacy of many of my pieces just didn't match my lifestyle and was not compatible with my OCD.

(But boy does the 5372P look nice!)
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 02:04 AM   #570
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:

Without further ado

Great following this thread/journey. I think this closely resembles my experiences as well, although if I started a thread like this, it would’ve been titled....
“I’m going to try everything” (at least what peaks my interest)
I’ve pretty much done it, from the number I’m comfortable with, to the brands, to the style. Things are probably always going to change from time to time, but my generalities, philosophy, and rationalizations, have definitely narrowed down over the last couple years.
We definitely share some of the same thoughts, and the 5524 is one I keep thinking I’ve got to get back! Thanks for the thread Jorge
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote