The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 August 2019, 05:07 AM   #481
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
I am a non-boating person but the YM II appealed to me more and more.....I finally purchased one and are very happy with it....among several SS Rolexes it is my daily watch.
The YM II obviously is a watch that triggers emotions...undoubtedly..

It is a watch for a.o. Rolex trendsetters.........
The "thirteen in a dozen" general SS Rolex owners feel uncomfortable by something standing out of the row; they feel more save with the choice of a model everybody has.

If you can handle the YM II', try this unique watch and you will become a silent enjoyer that immediately understands the promotions of fellow YM II owners.
If you can not handle them, queue up in the row of the safe decision making people where you will find millions of Sub's, Daytona's etc where everybody speaks the same reassuring Rolex language.
The YM II is distinguishing from all the common Rolex models people are after in one endless row.
The Daytona in it's early introduction days did meet similar adverse reactions as the YM II these days.....history repeats itself
The 116680 YM II is unique in every aspect...........and ahead of it's time..

BTW.....Is it a future collectable?.........definitively the (for the moment) strong undervalued 116680 Yacht Master II is collectable Rolex..........
The SS YM II has a unique caliber, it is a highly accomplished self-winding chronograph movement entirely developed in house.....Rolex spend 35,000 hours developing the Caliber 4161, which contains 360 individual components. It also includes their blue parachrom hairspring (constructed from a special alloy containing niobium and zirconium) that offers incredible durability against shocks and magnetic forces.exclusively made for this watch.
There is no other manufacturer producing a comparable caliber.
Because of it's existing appearance and the high price it is sold only in minor quantities, which is a solid base for becoming a much sought after model in the future.
Furthermore the 116680 YM II is an extraordinary and exclusive type of Rolex because of its exclusive style elements within the existing Rolex program.
For the moment these style elements of the 116680 YM II are commonly unloved and the watch is ignored by the existing type of "common/standard" Rolex owner which feel safe with a focus on Daytona's, BLR'S, Deepsea's etc, mainly because of the existing market trend.
Once imo the YM II will be considered as an absolute exclusive item between the Rolex models, because in an early stage it had the styling elements that in the next future will be searched after.
Generally in the future Rolex will show more diversity in color and appearance and more watches will show some kind of model name on the bezel.
Besides the new Rolex watches will show both distinguished and characteristic model accents; this will be required by the market commonly soon.
If you buy one, new or 2nd hand, go for the discontinued "Blue Hands" version, which was the 1st version and sold only a couple of years in very limited quantities.

Wonderful!!! I agreed

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 05:08 AM   #482
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
At risk of ridicule heres a small frame pulling off the YM2. Wear it like you own it!
Looks wonderful on you!

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 08:54 AM   #483
Jsauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am a non-boating person but the YM II appealed to me more and more.....I finally purchased one and are very happy with it....among several SS Rolexes it is my daily watch.

The "thirteen in a dozen" general SS Rolex owners feel uncomfortable by something standing out of the row; they feel more save with the choice of a model everybody has.

If you can handle the YM II', try this unique watch and you will become a silent enjoyer that immediately understands the promotions of fellow YM II owners.
If you can not handle them, queue up in the row of the safe decision making people where you will find millions of Sub's, Daytona's etc where everybody speaks the same reassuring Rolex language.
The YM II is distinguishing from all the common Rolex models people are after in one endless row.
The Daytona in it's early introduction days did meet similar adverse reactions as the YM II these days.....history repeats itself

BTW.....Is it a future collectable?.........definitively the (for the moment) strong undervalued 116680 Yacht Master II is collectable Rolex..........
The SS YM II has a unique caliber, it is a highly accomplished self-winding chronograph movement entirely developed in house.....Rolex spend 35,000 hours developing the Caliber 4161, which contains 360 individual components. It also includes their blue parachrom hairspring (constructed from a special alloy containing niobium and zirconium) that offers incredible durability against shocks and magnetic forces.exclusively made for this watch.
Because of it's existing appearance and the high price it is sold only in minor quantities, which is a solid base for becoming a much sought after model in the future.
Furthermore the 116680 YM II is an extraordinary and exclusive type of Rolex because of its exclusive style elements within the existing Rolex program.
For the moment these style elements of the 116680 YM II are commonly unloved and the watch is ignored by the existing type of "common/standard" Rolex owner which feel safe with a focus on Daytona's, BLR'S, Deepsea's etc, mainly because of the existing market trend.
Once imo the YM II will be considered as an absolute exclusive item between the Rolex models, because in an early stage it had the styling elements that in the next future will be searched after.
Generally in the future Rolex will show more diversity in color and appearance and more watches will show some kind of model name on the bezel.
Besides the new Rolex watches will show both distinguished and characteristic model accents; this will be required by the market commonly soon.
If you buy one, new or 2nd hand, go for the discontinued "Blue Hands" version, which was the 1st version and sold only a couple of years in very limited quantities.

Great post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:53 AM   #484
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP. View Post
YM2 design is something that Invicta could come up with, haha.
Good one Juho maybe the Venoms brother ... LOL
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 01:50 PM   #485
Chaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 x 2
Dare I say, given an earlier inception of the blue ceramic bezel on the YM2, that without this watch there wouldnt be a BLNR, BLRO or Smurf.
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 10:16 PM   #486
notchview
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD 326933 Black
YMII and the Sky-Dweller are the two most innovative pieces in Rolex's collection by a country mile. If I was more into boating, it would definitely be my pick. Why have a black sub like everyone else?
notchview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 11:10 PM   #487
challer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_link View Post
I always wondered whether it actually serves its function or is it just symbolic. So you say it doesn’t, care to elaborate?
I'll do my best. At the start of the race there are typically 3 five minute windows to jockey for the best starting position. The trick is to get your spot (one end of the line or the other is always favored) while not hitting any other boats. A second or two late and you've lost positions. Too early and you are penalized. So timing is everything.

There is a LOT going on - steering, trimming sails, avoiding others, jockeying for position. You need a very clean easy to read timer to setup your start (you have to know where you need to be before making your final move to be in the spot chosen). As in F1, the start determines much of the outcome. There is just too much going on to remember to turn bezels. Too many buttons to mis-push.

Look at the Heuer - one button. Start/reset/start/reset, etc. Big clean dial. Easy to re-sync with the starters gun if you miss on the first 15 minute warning. So popular, these mechanical devices still sell used for up to $1000. The digital ones just don't give the visual cues. Look at the YMII. Which dial am I looking at in the chaos? What if I mis-push a button and now all my start prep is no good? If the hand is at 1 o'clock, how much time is left? Too hard. Even "regular watches, subs, etc. are too hard. I've never seen a YMII in an actual race and I've been racing one-design/olympic/weekend races for close to 50 years. I'm not sure what other use for the YMII timing function. I've heard some observers like them.

These old TAGs are still in demand with top racers. These people can all afford the YMII (the cost of racing is crazy these days).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6662b1010007-tag-heuer.jpg (134.3 KB, 397 views)
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 11:17 PM   #488
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
I'll do my best. At the start of the race there are typically 3 five minute windows to jockey for the best starting position. The trick is to get your spot (one end of the line or the other is always favored) while not hitting any other boats. A second or two late and you've lost positions. Too early and you are penalized. So timing is everything.

There is a LOT going on - steering, trimming sails, avoiding others, jockeying for position. You need a very clean easy to read timer to setup your start (you have to know where you need to be before making your final move to be in the spot chosen). As in F1, the start determines much of the outcome. There is just too much going on to remember to turn bezels. Too many buttons to mis-push.

Look at the Heuer - one button. Start/reset/start/reset, etc. Big clean dial. Easy to re-sync with the starters gun if you miss on the first 15 minute warning. So popular, these mechanical devices still sell used for up to $1000. The digital ones just don't give the visual cues. Look at the YMII. Which dial am I looking at in the chaos? What if I mis-push a button and now all my start prep is no good? If the hand is at 1 o'clock, how much time is left? Too hard. Even "regular watches, subs, etc. are too hard. I've never seen a YMII in an actual race and I've been racing one-design/olympic/weekend races for close to 50 years. I'm not sure what other use for the YMII timing function. I've heard some observers like them.

These old TAGs are still in demand with top racers. These people can all afford the YMII (the cost of racing is crazy these days).

Thank you for the clarification! Let’s see if anyone can come in with a positive report here. Seems like the YMII has more of a symbolic value then.
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 11:43 PM   #489
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post

That is really interesting and informative. Love that watch. I can see why that would be preferred for use during a race over a YMII. Simple and to the point

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 11:57 PM   #490
finestdealer
"TRF" Member

For me u just think cause it’s too big
finestdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 02:25 AM   #491
challer
"TRF" Member

My daily wear is one of two SkyD. Size is not the issue.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 04:24 AM   #492
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Just visited a rolex AD in Porto, Portugal. 50 datejust and the only spots watch was a steel yacht master 2. No other steel, TT, or PM sports. This watch is mega unpopular.
Old 27 August 2019, 04:51 AM   #493
bazin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
Just visited a rolex AD in Porto, Portugal. the only spots watch was a steel yacht master 2. No other steel, TT, or PM sports. This watch is mega unpopular.
Only one YM II......
Really, did the AD tell you that it is mega unpopular or is it your personal standpoint of view.....
bazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 05:09 AM   #494
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:

Only one YM II......

Really, did the AD tell you that it is mega unpopular or is it your personal standpoint of view.....
Well we have a fairly active sales forum in Canada called canwatchco.ca and I have probably seen 1 listed for sale in the last couple of years. Yea it's my personal opinion that it is unpopular based on my personal observations. At least in Canada.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 27 August 2019, 07:20 AM   #495
ilyknarf
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
I do love the way this watch looks but 44mm is too big IMO. If it was a 42mm i think it would look better.
ilyknarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 10:55 AM   #496
Chaser
"TRF" Member

Unpopular watch = uncommon = buy a SS sports below MSRP. Works for me.
Old 27 August 2019, 11:15 AM   #497
CarrJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
because the trend of wearing oversize watches is dead.

I would definitely not agree with that statement. Some of the hottest are 42, 43 and 44m. I think the dial on the YM2 is kinda busy IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CarrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 11:16 AM   #498
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexFan007 View Post
I have a big wrist and have been wanting to add YM2 SS to my collection for a long time. Everytime I get closer to pulling the trigger I ask myself why are these not so popular and relatively easier to get?
Um because they are hideous??
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 11:18 AM   #499
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
At risk of ridicule heres a small frame pulling off the YM2. Wear it like you own it!
Yo yo yo rappa, that looks fly!
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 08:40 PM   #500
Chaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyknarf View Post
I do love the way this watch looks but 44mm is too big IMO. If it was a 42mm i think it would look better.
Actual dimension of the YM2 is 42.6mm
Old 27 August 2019, 08:51 PM   #501
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Actual dimension of the YM2 is 42.6mm
According to Rolex's website:

Model case
Oyster, 44 mm, yellow gold

Diameter
44 mm

I'll go with 44mm. It is larger than my 42mm ROO.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 09:35 PM   #502
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:

I have the wg variant so I share all your views. One minor correction, the blue hand is MKII. The first MKI came with white gold hands.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 06:20 AM   #503
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Not a big lover of the YM2 but was at Le Cinq in Paris having dinner this evening and in the watch shop within the hotel there was a YM2 , white gold , 116689. Looked great
Halifax Daytona UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:14 AM   #504
Futuristic
Banned

That’s a bad way
Futuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:57 AM   #505
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
Just visited a rolex AD in Porto, Portugal. 50 datejust and the only spots watch was a steel yacht master 2. No other steel, TT, or PM sports. This watch is mega unpopular.

That may not mean much for the future value. Since I walked in in an AD and bought my then unpopular WG BLRO it was discontinued but appreciated 35% on Chrono24 by now.
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 09:02 PM   #506
Mike Jab
Banned

Too big, poor design in my opinion, no real use to the complication, more or a niche watch, too expensive for stainless steel - normal that it would be underrated.
Mike Jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 07:13 PM   #507
schwarzconner
"TRF" Member

Hello,
i'm looking for a comparison picture

Yachmaster 2 - 116680 vs Rolex Steel SkyDweller

Can help someone??

Regards,

Conner
schwarzconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 07:38 PM   #508
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
According to Rolex's website:

Model case
Oyster, 44 mm, yellow gold

Diameter
44 mm

I'll go with 44mm. It is larger than my 42mm ROO.
I’d imagine it wears smaller than 42mm ROO. All ROO are a BEAST.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 06:50 AM   #509
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamorai View Post
The big “YACHT-MASTER II” on the bezel?
+100. This is all that really needs to be said. It’s also a very specific use watch and very out of place in the workplace for example. It’s just a bit gaudy no matter if it’s steel, two tone or PM.

Even when no other sports Rolex are in sight, I find that ADs will usually have a couple of YMIIs. At least that’s been my experience.
Old 31 August 2019, 12:45 PM   #510
PNBLWZD
"TRF" Member

I’ve noticed the same thing at multiple ADs in the states and abroad; quite often a YM2 will be the lone sport model sitting in a sea of DJ. Been pondering back and forth getting one as it’s a monster SS available below MSRP, but I also know the reason for that and don’t want to get stuck with it.

Regarding the yatchmaster 2 on the bezel, I was told the idea behind that is to mimic the name found on the back of a boat in the spirit of the nautical theme of the reference. Don’t know if it’s true or not, but make sense. Kinda sorta I guess...
PNBLWZD is offline   Reply With Quote