The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 August 2019, 03:42 AM   #1
Justingtr
"TRF" Member
 
Justingtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Laredo
Posts: 163
Swirls on dial / sapphire crystal in bright sun light

Hey all

This is my new to me 114060 and in bright sunlight I can see swirl marks like you'd see on a car that's been thru the car wash.

I'm fairly sure it's the dial that has these swirl marks but does anyone else have this issue? I was finally able to photograph it today.

Justin

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 03:45 AM   #2
brandog
"TRF" Member
 
brandog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 189
Thats very odd. Have you tried properly cleaning it? Its probably through the sapphire somehow. Luckily its fairly inexpensive to replace the sapphire and would just for that.
brandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 03:55 AM   #3
Justingtr
"TRF" Member
 
Justingtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Laredo
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandog View Post
Thats very odd. Have you tried properly cleaning it? Its probably through the sapphire somehow. Luckily its fairly inexpensive to replace the sapphire and would just for that.
Yes I have cleaned it. I'll probably send it to RSC after my vacation and see what they say. Hopefully this is covered under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 04:18 AM   #4
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member
 
Dsmith1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Real Name: Duncan
Location: London
Watch: 116710 BLNR
Posts: 1,395
As a general rule of thumb if you can’t clean it off the top of the sapphire then it’s probably on the bottom of the sapphire (or possibly dial I suppose too).
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 01:30 PM   #5
jbenjamin1
"TRF" Member
 
jbenjamin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Real Name: Jay
Location: NY Metropolitan
Watch: Many
Posts: 708
Its the glossy dial. All black glossy dial Rolex has this. I made peace with it years ago haha.
jbenjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 01:38 PM   #6
Muxi
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenjamin1 View Post
Its the glossy dial. All black glossy dial Rolex has this. I made peace with it years ago haha.
Reflection?
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 01:48 PM   #7
watchmework
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
watchmework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Merica
Watch: 126710BLRO
Posts: 5,108
Are you talking about the reflection from the outside ring on the hour markers?
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 02:52 PM   #8
Henry F.
2019 Pledge Member
 
Henry F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Real Name: Henry
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 173
rsc.
Henry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 05:03 PM   #9
Sandpit
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UAE
Posts: 430
Odd. Are the marks you’re talking about those between the 9 and 10 hour markers? The directions seem to change between the second and third photo. What are you cleaning and drying with?
Sandpit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 12:45 AM   #10
Justingtr
"TRF" Member
 
Justingtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Laredo
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenjamin1 View Post
Its the glossy dial. All black glossy dial Rolex has this. I made peace with it years ago haha.
My first 114060 did not have this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 12:50 AM   #11
Justingtr
"TRF" Member
 
Justingtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Laredo
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Odd. Are the marks youíre talking about those between the 9 and 10 hour markers? The directions seem to change between the second and third photo. What are you cleaning and drying with?
Yeah the directions will change depending on where the glare is. I've used brushes and soap, micro fibers, just water and a normal towel, etc. I'm just gonna send to RSC as my first 114060 did not have these strange streaks.

I'm wondering if it is either on the sapphire on the inside or a bad polish job on the gloss dial itself. Rolex does have its issues with small details like this. My first had dust under the dial and another guy just had a hair on his date wheel on another thread.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 12:53 AM   #12
Justingtr
"TRF" Member
 
Justingtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Laredo
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post
Reflection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
Are you talking about the reflection from the outside ring on the hour markers?
It's not the reflections from the rehaut or hour markers. In bright sunlight there is a swirl effect on the dial like a car gets when it goes thru on automatic car wash too many times.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 12:53 AM   #13
Sandpit
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UAE
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justingtr View Post
Yeah the directions will change depending on where the glare is. I've used brushes and soap, micro fibers, just water and a normal towel, etc. I'm just gonna send to RSC as my first 114060 did not have these strange streaks.

I'm wondering if it is either on the sapphire on the inside or a bad polish job on the gloss dial itself. Rolex does have its issues with small details like this. My first had dust under the dial and another guy just had a hair on his date wheel on another thread.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It does look like itís in the dial. Defo worth sending in I think. Even if they get a loupe on it and a bright light to determine exactly whatís causing it.
Sandpit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 12:53 AM   #14
TswaneNguni
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
TswaneNguni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Operating Theatre
Watch: ADs sell to Grey !
Posts: 6,578
Its new to you but whats the history of the watch ?
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:24 AM   #15
JodyHighroller
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
JodyHighroller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Real Name: Isaac
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 395
Looks like these swirls are underneath the crystal imo. I’m having the same issue on my Omega PO after a hands replacement job. It’s been to the Swatch service center three times now. I told them to replace the dang crystal vs attempting to clean it this time.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:48 AM   #16
Devildog
2019 Pledge Member
 
Devildog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Real Name: Scott
Location: UK
Watch: SD43
Posts: 3,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justingtr View Post
Hey all

This is my new to me 114060 and in bright sunlight I can see swirl marks like you'd see on a car that's been thru the car wash.

I'm fairly sure it's the dial that has these swirl marks but does anyone else have this issue? I was finally able to photograph it today.

Justin

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Second vote for it being the dial. I can see it clearly in your third photo around the 10 and 11 markers.

My 16610 had it. As did my 16600. My thoughts are that they are fine polishing marks from when the dials are made.
__________________
Past: 6239, 16610, 16600, 116515, 116613LN

Present: 126600
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:57 AM   #17
rksv
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 13
I recently got my sub and it has them too. Seems like light bouncing between dial and crystal and creating multiple reflections of the hour markers. I might be wrong too
rksv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 03:01 AM   #18
Laszlo
2019 GMT CHNR Pledge Member
 
Laszlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Watch: Date & No Date
Posts: 8,657
It looks like there are light swirl marks on the physical dial, I was able to finally see this in the pics. I don’t OP is talking about the triple reflections are the markers? When I had my Sub it did the same thing. To me it was bad dial flaw in the original design and something IMHO shouldn’t be producible on such an expensive watch.
__________________
"You might as well question why we breathe. If we stop breathing, we'll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die."

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 06:42 AM   #19
maxGMT
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Real Name: Max
Location: Sweden
Watch: 116710LN
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Second vote for it being the dial. I can see it clearly in your third photo around the 10 and 11 markers.

My 16610 had it. As did my 16600. My thoughts are that they are fine polishing marks from when the dials are made.
This.
Have seen this on many professional gloss dials and believe there are a couple of old threads on the topic as well. Result of the dial manufacturing process was the explanation I was given when speaking to RSC.
maxGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:10 AM   #20
Justingtr
"TRF" Member
 
Justingtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Laredo
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Its new to you but whats the history of the watch ?
Warranty card dated Feb 2019. I bought it from OCRolexGuy. Solid seller.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:32 AM   #21
Justingtr
"TRF" Member
 
Justingtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Laredo
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Looks like these swirls are underneath the crystal imo. Iím having the same issue on my Omega PO after a hands replacement job. Itís been to the Swatch service center three times now. I told them to replace the dang crystal vs attempting to clean it this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Second vote for it being the dial. I can see it clearly in your third photo around the 10 and 11 markers.

My 16610 had it. As did my 16600. My thoughts are that they are fine polishing marks from when the dials are made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
It looks like there are light swirl marks on the physical dial, I was able to finally see this in the pics. I donít OP is talking about the triple reflections are the markers? When I had my Sub it did the same thing. To me it was bad dial flaw in the original design and something IMHO shouldnít be producible on such an expensive watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxGMT View Post
This.
Have seen this on many professional gloss dials and believe there are a couple of old threads on the topic as well. Result of the dial manufacturing process was the explanation I was given when speaking to RSC.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a bad polish job on the dial itself.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:33 AM   #22
Justingtr
"TRF" Member
 
Justingtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Laredo
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksv View Post
I recently got my sub and it has them too. Seems like light bouncing between dial and crystal and creating multiple reflections of the hour markers. I might be wrong too
Hey it's not the reflections of the hands or hour markers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:38 AM   #23
RobearH
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
RobearH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Real Name: Robear
Location: Come and Take It!
Watch: 126710 BLRO
Posts: 1,360
Not to thread derail but I just noticed what look like very fine scratches on the crystal of my SD43. They radiate from horizontal from 8-4 on bottom portion of the crystal. Could it be from zipper and has any else had their crystal scratched similarly?
__________________
♛126600
♛126710BLRO
♛116500LN
♛116610LV
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:52 AM   #24
maxGMT
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Real Name: Max
Location: Sweden
Watch: 116710LN
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justingtr View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a bad polish job on the dial itself.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Not necessarily bad and definitely both common and normal on this type of dial, have seen it on both five and six figure references.
These dials are hand made and slight variation in finish is inevitable and part of the individual charm of each timepiece. At least in my opinion. :)
Enjoy your beautiful Submariner!
maxGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 03:37 AM   #25
Justingtr
"TRF" Member
 
Justingtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Laredo
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
Not to thread derail but I just noticed what look like very fine scratches on the crystal of my SD43. They radiate from horizontal from 8-4 on bottom portion of the crystal. Could it be from zipper and has any else had their crystal scratched similarly?
A zipper won't scratch a sapphire crystal. It takes quite a bit to even leave a mark on sapphire.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 03:38 AM   #26
Justingtr
"TRF" Member
 
Justingtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Laredo
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxGMT View Post
Not necessarily bad and definitely both common and normal on this type of dial, have seen it on both five and six figure references.

These dials are hand made and slight variation in finish is inevitable and part of the individual charm of each timepiece. At least in my opinion. :)

Enjoy your beautiful Submariner!
That's definitely a different way to look at it. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 04:39 AM   #27
ThatExplorer
"TRF" Member
 
ThatExplorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Real Name: Andrew
Location: SoCal
Watch: 114060
Posts: 383
Under certain light I can see it, but unfortunately with overcast today I dont. I wouldnt stress it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
--------------------------------------------------------------
116610-214270-116710-113700-114300-M79380RB-Zodiac GR
ThatExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 06:59 AM   #28
maxGMT
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Real Name: Max
Location: Sweden
Watch: 116710LN
Posts: 21
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justingtr View Post
That's definitely a different way to look at it. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
maxGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 09:32 PM   #29
maxGMT
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Real Name: Max
Location: Sweden
Watch: 116710LN
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justingtr View Post
That's definitely a different way to look at it. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
And to reiterate - this is not considered to be a defect, at least not according to RSC in London.
Gloss professional dials are polished as part of the manufacturing process and these swirl marks are the result of that. Only visible under strong, direct sunlight or LED/flash, in certain angles as people have witnessed in this thread. Of course with minor variation, as is the case with Rolex dial production in general (print etc).
maxGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 03:25 AM   #30
Justingtr
"TRF" Member
 
Justingtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Laredo
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxGMT View Post
And to reiterate - this is not considered to be a defect, at least not according to RSC in London.
Gloss professional dials are polished as part of the manufacturing process and these swirl marks are the result of that. Only visible under strong, direct sunlight or LED/flash, in certain angles as people have witnessed in this thread. Of course with minor variation, as is the case with Rolex dial production in general (print etc).
I guess I'm just not used to it because my first Sub C didn't have this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.