The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: do you think the ss sd 43 is a great reference ?
yes very much 350 73.53%
ehh, not so much 126 26.47%
Voters: 476. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 August 2019, 01:04 AM   #1
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega AT 150
how do you feel about the ss sd43 ?

hello fellow forum members

I'm on the list for the ss sd43 and should get the call in the next couple of months. as it's listed at 10.8k and that's quiet an amount for me, I wonder if I should pull the trigger ? Therefore, I need some of your input to help me get convinced of this watch or install some more doubt

Well, my question is, for the members who own or have owned the ss sd43...what is your general feeling for this watch (weight, proportions, lume, built etc...) ?

and members who don't like the watch, what do you dislike about it ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards
Henry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:05 AM   #2
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry F. View Post
hello fellow forum members

I'm on the list for the ss sd43 and should get the call in the next couple of months. as it's listed at 10.8k and that's quiet an amount for me, I wonder if I should pull the trigger ? Therefore, I need some of your input to help me get convinced of this watch or install some more doubt

Well, my question is, for the members who own or have owned the ss sd43...what is your general feeling for this watch (weight, proportions, lume, built etc...) ?

and members who don't like the watch, what do you dislike about it ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards
Shouldn’t you have asked all these questions PRIOR to joining the list?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:06 AM   #3
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega AT 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Shouldn’t you have asked all these questions PRIOR to joining the list?
no trolling please thanks.
Henry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:10 AM   #4
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry F. View Post
no trolling please thanks.
Erm it’s not trolling just because you don’t get the reply you wanted.

You joined the list, are “close” to getting the watch and now you’re asking these questions....just seems odd...or buyers remorse even before you’ve got the watch?

SD43 opinions - I’ve never gone for one as I find it a bit big and feel it looks a bit like a big sub from a distance. Lovely watch but just not for me. I think 40mm is the sweet spot eg sub/GMT etc
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:11 AM   #5
TurboTim14
"TRF" Member

The only thing that would keep me from buying it is the cyclops. To me, no cyclops is part of the sea dweller heritage.
TurboTim14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:19 AM   #6
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The best all-around diver Rolex produces IMO. It's a stunning reference
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:26 AM   #7
dmb359
2024 Pledge Member

nice watch, but too big/thick for my taste. I prefer the Sub.
Old 23 August 2019, 01:28 AM   #8
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Love this reference, but, alas, it is too big for me.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:30 AM   #9
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
I currently own said watch and I absolutely love it, it gets most of the wrist time.
It is a slight heavier watch but the fit and comfort on the wrist is excellent, the proportions are just right, and the red text is the cherry on top.
I like the cyclope on the date window and since the watch is bigger than a sub the cyclope is not that intrusive as the dial is bigger. In my opinion, it is the best SD produced ever. Also the dial is kind of special as it can look dark Matt grey under certain light conditions and also pitch black. I have not seen this in any other rolex model.
I would recommend it.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:33 AM   #10
Dante221
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller 4000
You should have at least a 7" wrist to carry this watch comfortably
At lease try it on for a few minutes before purchasing.

Dante
Milgauss 116400GV
Tudor Heritage Black Bay Burgundy
NAWCC member
Dante221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:33 AM   #11
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
how do you feel about the ss sd43 ?

I got mine almost two years ago and its been my (almost) daily ever since. It is easily my favourite of all the Rolex watches I've owned, eclipsing the prior favourite, my old 16600. Its been everywhere I have.

Whats good:

Proportionally its as near to perfect as any Rolex dive watch can be. Slimmed down lugs and a wider bracelet make a massive difference when compared to supercased references.

The matte dial and that line of red text. When the light hits the dial a certain way it really pops. At other times its very subdued.

The fully indexed bezel is just better balanced.

The cyclops - I acquired mine as a 50th birthday present. As many at my age will tell you, it makes the date much more legible without resorting to the reading glasses.

The Sea Dweller factor. Its just more special than any modern Sub. If you don't "get" that, then Sea Dwellers aren't for you.

What's bad:

Its all subjective of course and in my case the answer really is "nothing". But it is a larger, heavier timepiece compared other steel Rolex watches with the exception of the DeepSea.

Its also thicker than anything Rolex produces other than the DeepSea. It does, however, carry a 4,000 ft depth rating so its going to be thicker.

And lastly, its case back shape (as with all Sea Dwellers before it) can make it less comfortable for some. It probably works best on flatter wrists and needs to be worn more snugly than loosely for a more comfortable fit.

Wrist shape, rather than size, is what matters most. It may be 43 mm, but its only 1 mm or so larger lug to lug than the 6 digit sub, and it definitely wears closer to the Sub than the DeepSea

For reference, my wrist is 6.75 inches. Its a larger watch, but not excessively so. Works with suits, casual, anything. Fits fine under the cuff of a dress shirt.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:34 AM   #12
Tell44
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 and 116500
Great piece, but i struggle that its not as versatile with its larger case size. Can't wear it with a suit IMO, like a standard Sub. However great watch for the weekends if that's what you are after.
Tell44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:37 AM   #13
ademarco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
It is a larger watch and heavier on the wrist. I thought why get a black sub, when you can get the big brother. I love the single red line and more robust build, but definitely feels like a tool watch compared to my LVc, which gets more wrist time. I bought through a grey dealer since SS sport professional models are unattainable for clients without previous purchase history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ademarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:37 AM   #14
dmb359
2024 Pledge Member

I have a 7" wrist, and definitely feel like it wears too big and too top heavy (maybe more that it's too thick, than too large of a diameter or lug to lug). It's personal preference though, I prefer thinner watches, and think these (or Deep sea) look best on larger guys with probably 7.5"+ wrists.

I do like the single red line design, but would prefer it without a cyclops too.
Old 23 August 2019, 01:38 AM   #15
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim14 View Post
The only thing that would keep me from buying it is the cyclops. To me, no cyclops is part of the sea dweller heritage.
You stole my response. What you said is exactly true.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:46 AM   #16
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Scott’s post pretty much covers it

My other watches are struggling to get into the rotation. It’s perfectly comfortable, though if you like wearing your watches loose this is not the reference for you. I disagree with those who say you have to have a certain wrist size to pull it off - overall body habitus and wrist shape come into the equation. Anyway, words are over-rated...

Old 23 August 2019, 01:47 AM   #17
Biginboca
"TRF" Member

My favorite Rolex diver but I haven’t tried one on. I also wish it didn’t have the cyclops but the watch is so full of win otherwise I would wear it everyday. My wrist is 7.25” and I’m very comfortable with 42-44mm watches. It seems to me it would wear about the same as my Pelagos but with a little more heft which I have no issue with.
Biginboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:48 AM   #18
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
It's the finest diver ever created!

There's an adjustment period due to the weight after wearing other SS pieces. (Anyone who's worn a PM probably won't find it heavy at all.)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:48 AM   #19
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Admittedly, I’m a bit intrigued by it; however, would first want to see in person and try on to make a better informed decision.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:53 AM   #20
Gdoc26
"TRF" Member

I love mine, I have it as my black diver, big bold and heavy. I also have a hulk that is more refined and less bulky. But they both have a place in my rotation. The most common Rolex you will see in the wild is the SS submariner and from across the room the SD43 can easily be mistaken for a sub, on closer look it is in a league of its own. I would definitely jump at a chance to get it at list price. My advice, ask the AD to take off the diver's extension. It sits much better on the wrist with it removed. You can easily do it yourself and put it back on in the unlikely even you will wear it over a bulky dry suit. The glidelock is a dream for tailoring the fit as the weather changes.
Gdoc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:54 AM   #21
Centron
"TRF" Member

It’s the perfect Rolex diver for me. The proportions are spot on, the lume is above parr. The red-line is divine, gives the watch panache, the epitome of a mans diving watch. I wear it everyday without a fuss. The new movement is accurate and so far trouble free. I have no concerns with the weight at all, it’s a non-issue, so is the thickness. I’ve worn much thicker watches without problems too. The watch sinks into the wrist and doesn’t ride as high as you’d think. The cyclops is perfect for my aging eyes. It has absolutely more presence and character then the standard sub. It really is a stand out and exceptional piece.
Centron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:56 AM   #22
redguy
"TRF" Member

If your wrist can handle it, get it. You will love it
redguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:57 AM   #23
Vamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
Honestly I believe most people who are writing negative comments haven’t even handled the SD43 in person. This watch is perfect IMO. The way the caseback is shaped makes the watch sit much lower then it’s 15mm thickness would have you believe it should. Now granted, if you have little girly wrists than the watch probably isn’t for you, but in general I think it’s Rolex best diver by far! Also too all who say Sea Dwellers shouldn’t have a cyclops because the original did not is BS! Rolex wanted the cyclops on the watch, they just didn’t have the tech to do it back then! Guess what? They do now! I love this watch!
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:03 AM   #24
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I got mine almost two years ago and its been my (almost) daily ever since. It is easily my favourite of all the Rolex watches I've owned, eclipsing the prior favourite, my old 16600. Its been everywhere I have.

Whats good:

Proportionally its as near to perfect as any Rolex dive watch can be. Slimmed down lugs and a wider bracelet make a massive difference when compared to supercased references.

The matte dial and that line of red text. When the light hits the dial a certain way it really pops. At other times its very subdued.

The fully indexed bezel is just better balanced.

The cyclops - I acquired mine as a 50th birthday present. As many at my age will tell you, it makes the date much more legible without resorting to the reading glasses.

The Sea Dweller factor. Its just more special than any modern Sub. If you don't "get" that, then Sea Dwellers aren't for you.

What's bad:

Its all subjective of course and in my case the answer really is "nothing". But it is a larger, heavier timepiece compared other steel Rolex watches with the exception of the DeepSea.

Its also thicker than anything Rolex produces other than the DeepSea. It does, however, carry a 4,000 ft depth rating so its going to be thicker.

And lastly, its case back shape (as with all Sea Dwellers before it) can make it less comfortable for some. It probably works best on flatter wrists and needs to be worn more snugly than loosely for a more comfortable fit.

Wrist shape, rather than size, is what matters most. It may be 43 mm, but its only 1 mm or so larger lug to lug than the 6 digit sub, and it definitely wears closer to the Sub than the DeepSea

For reference, my wrist is 6.75 inches. Its a larger watch, but not excessively so. Works with suits, casual, anything. Fits fine under the cuff of a dress shirt.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9765f804c4.jpg

Exactly what Scott said plus the elusive single red SEA-DWELLER in a BNIB watch straight from an AD (for those who don’t bother or afraid the vintage market and/or don’t want to pay a fortune for a fine example) !
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:09 AM   #25
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Is my GRAIL!!!!! :)

After 33 years wearing mechanical wristwatch (Rolex most), I found the SD43 my lifespan companion. Beautiful, strong, unique, anniversary edition, modern with vintage proportions, etc

It is PURE Rolex ADN: Cyclops!!!!!

My wrist is 6.75

abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:14 AM   #26
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I have ambivalent feelings about this iteration of the sea dweller. While I would consider one, it really just seems like a larger sub with a helium escape valve (useless for most people BTW). I’m still not sure about the (to me) out of proportion bezel but I’m guessing I’d get used to it quickly. I prefer my Deep Sea over this one; if I didn’t have a Deep Sea I might consider it. If you aren’t sure, then don’t get it. If you are buying it because it’s hard to get then you REALLY shouldn’t buy one...
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:32 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Love it. Size is great. Cyclops is my only issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:37 AM   #28
lewahooligan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I've had mine for under two months, so I'm still in the honeymoon phase. That being said, I absolutely love it. Highly recommend. I have a larger wrist, so it feels great on the wrist. Not underwhelming like my GMT.

Its ALL a matter of personal preference, but I like the cyclops on the SD43. As its been mentioned above, its more proportionate to the larger dial, versus on a sub. Also, I've read that Rolex wanted to put a Cyclops on the ORIGINAL sea dweller, but the glue used at the time could not withstand the extreme water pressure it had to resist.
lewahooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:40 AM   #29
AEGRV
"TRF" Member

IMO I think it is the best definition of progress. Purists hate it because it has a cyclops and it’s size isn’t true to its original. I didn’t realize it had to be. An incredible utility watch and doesn’t look bad with a shirt on either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 287093C6-D30A-4C1A-8D66-A99D8B47309D.jpeg (272.9 KB, 1588 views)
File Type: jpeg F6A7F299-FA1A-4B84-929E-727875E16C86.jpeg (77.2 KB, 1582 views)
AEGRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:41 AM   #30
eijiboy
Banned

Only got 6.4 wrist and love it. Its how you feel about it. Dont care what people say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eijiboy is offline   Reply With Quote