The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex & Other Watch Links & Resources

Old 16 August 2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Karinc
"TRF" Member

Rolex GMT Master 16750 service help!!

Hi everyone! I'm new here and joined recently because I've been trying to restore my dads vintage Rolex. From the information I've gathered my dad's Rolex is a GMT master reference 16750 with pepsi bezel and matte dial. He bought this back in 1981 or 82 and since then the clasp has broken, the bezel has completely fallen off and is missing, the plexi glass is scratched and just general signs of wear and tear. I took it in to have it fully serviced and they quoted me $2600 + AUD to have the complete bezel, bracelet, clasp, dial, hands, plexi glass replaced. I read up somewhere that the original matte dial is rare so I asked if it was possible NOT to replace the dial but they insisted that Rolex will only replace it with another matte dial. I also asked if I am able to replace only the clasp and not the whole bracelet (since the bracelet was only scratched not broken) and was told that i am unable to pick and choose want I want to have replaced as it is a full service. Is this true with all Rolex watch services??? Do they really replace the matte dial with another matte dial??? please help!
Karinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2010, 11:45 AM   #2
r s gibson
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt 16750 matte di
gmt 16750 matt dial

I had my 16750 gmt matt dial watch serviced at RSC UK last year. I asked for dial,hands and bezel to be kept as original. This was done and after 6 weeks I got the watch back. There was one problem the dial had stuck to the compression ring and a small amount of paint was removed from the dial edge ,between 10 and 11 . RSC wanted to replace my dial with SWISS WG version but I declined the offer. They nolonger have 16750 matt dials in stock. Hope this helps, Sean
r s gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2010, 11:49 AM   #3
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Welcome to the forums.

Any reason why you wouldn't hunt the correct parts, and have a good watchmaker do the needed repairs?

I would't risk having the parts removed at RSC. Of course the watch will look beautiful when RSC finishes.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2010, 12:23 AM   #4
Karinc
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the information guys!

So I AM able to request for parts to be kept original? Unfortunately in Sydney there is no Rolex store and I took the watch to the Hour Glass who are authorized Rolex dealers to send the watch to RSC to have the watch serviced. They have promised me that Rolex will only replace the dial with another that is EXACTLY the same and all parts will only be replaced by a part that is EXACTLY the same. Which makes me believe that they don't really know what they're talking about. Especially since you've just told me that Rolex no longer make the matte dials.

So my next question is: Can I request to have the watch repaired with new parts but still keep all my original parts that have come off the watch?

I considered buying the parts on ebay but unfortunately I'm such a newb with watches that buying the correct parts to repair the Rolex and then having to send it to a trustworthy watchmaker will be soo over whelming for me at this point. With RSC at least I'll know they know what they're doing.
Old 18 August 2010, 06:06 AM   #5
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karinc View Post

So I AM able to request for parts to be kept original? Unfortunately in Sydney there is no Rolex store and I took the watch to the Hour Glass who are authorized Rolex dealers to send the watch to RSC to have the watch serviced. They have promised me that Rolex will only replace the dial with another that is EXACTLY the same and all parts will only be replaced by a part that is EXACTLY the same. Which makes me believe that they don't really know what they're talking about. Especially since you've just told me that Rolex no longer make the matte dials.

So my next question is: Can I request to have the watch repaired with new parts but still keep all my original parts that have come off the watch?

I considered buying the parts on ebay but unfortunately I'm such a newb with watches that buying the correct parts to repair the Rolex and then having to send it to a trustworthy watchmaker will be soo over whelming for me at this point. With RSC at least I'll know they know what they're doing.
Each country seems to have different RSC rules. Sometimes you can request that RSC keep dials, hands, etc as is. Sometimes RSC says they need to be replaced during service. This could effect vintage value. Rarely, if ever, do they return old parts.
I would suggest looking for a watchmaker w/ a Rolex parts account. They will be much more accommodating to your needs.
Good luck,
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2010, 08:57 AM   #6
tudorlex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
RSC Sydney have very strict rules & procedures. Seems everything is a complete service / overhaul and this did not suit me either. I went to a fantastic watchmaker, Karl, at www.masterwatchmaking.com.au Pitt St near Town Hall Station. Fixed up for a fraction of the price & a pleasure to deal with.
tudorlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
Another option is to visit Nick Hacko in Sydney and see what he can do for you:
http://clockmaker.com.au/
DW
I would personally never recommend him for anything, stay away, well away.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2010, 02:13 PM   #8
93 Turbo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex.Tudor.PAM
How about Max Schweizer, Sydney.

On the positive feed back given in a post Sept, 09. I have sent my Tudor 79090 Blue Submariner to Max for a full service. He is contact details can be found at www.maxswisswatch.com.

Some of the long term and respected members on the forum here in Australia may be able to give you some feed back on Max.

This may give you a couple of options, all the best getting your watch serviced.
93 Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Karinc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I would personally never recommend him for anything, stay away, well away.
May I ask why?
Old 18 August 2010, 09:39 PM   #10
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They are not being honest. If the dial is replaced it will be with a gloss/WG surround style as this was the last dial type used in the 16750. There are no more matt dials in the system.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
May I ask why?
Yes you may: totally unprofessional.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2010, 01:48 PM   #12
Karinc
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for all your help!!

After corresponding with the Hour Glass I'm now able to have the watch repaired at RSC without having to change the original dial or bracelet!

The watch should be ready in about 4 weeks. I'm really excited to see it looking "new" again.

Old 23 August 2010, 03:09 PM   #13
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Pics when you get it back!
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2010, 04:56 PM   #14
Karinc
"TRF" Member

ITS BACK and looking pretty!

Before and After

Old 12 November 2010, 11:38 AM   #15
jedinite
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
Quote:
ITS BACK and looking pretty!

Before and After

What a world of difference, how much did they charge you if you don't mind me asking?
jedinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2010, 01:57 PM   #16
Montanan

Watch: Hamilton hunter
GMT 16750 service help

I'd consult with Shant at Four Crowns Watch Service Center in Los Angeles...213.488.3381. They recently did a complete refurb of my Expy II....I have nothing but GREAT to say about that crew.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Montanan

Watch: Hamilton hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Each country seems to have different RSC rules. Sometimes you can request that RSC keep dials, hands, etc as is. Sometimes RSC says they need to be replaced during service. This could effect vintage value. Rarely, if ever, do they return old parts.
I would suggest looking for a watchmaker w/ a Rolex parts account. They will be much more accommodating to your needs.
Good luck,
dP

I certainly agree....the Four Crowns sent the old parts back with my "new" Expy II...now I have completely useless gears and crystal for a completely beautiful watch. Kind of like getting back a old tire or oil filter! LOL Nonetheless...it's all reassuring to me.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote