The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 March 2020, 11:57 PM   #1
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Top time

I have to say, Breitling has been the most exciting watch brand this entire year. They really nailed the navi reissue, then the avi 765, and now the top time. Some may say the brand is looking backward, but I would strongly disagree. Rather than just tweak to make tweaks, making some of their best pieces available to modern audiences without having to go to the vintage market which is a minefield and also comes with fragility, is really fantastic. Breitling is really the brand for chronographs and they have some of the nicest designs historically. So credit to Breitling for an amazing year of releases.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 12:56 AM   #2
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

They have can cranking out the re issues, part of me wishes they would release at a slower rate

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 06:05 AM   #3
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
This one is absolutely lovely. I dig it! Would go nicely with my 806 Navitimer reissue ...
Old 28 March 2020, 08:38 AM   #4
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

This thread needs some pictures.

arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 11:21 PM   #5
56scooter
"TRF" Member

Not for me, I will pass. Originally going to be available online only, now Georges has decided to make them available to AD's once they re-open. Instead of pushing out new releases maybe the Breitling team should come up with a strategy to strengthen the re-sale value of Breitling watches!
56scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 11:40 PM   #6
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56scooter View Post
Not for me, I will pass. Originally going to be available online only, now Georges has decided to make them available to AD's once they re-open. Instead of pushing out new releases maybe the Breitling team should come up with a strategy to strengthen the re-sale value of Breitling watches!
The resale is largely driven by sentiment and branding. Rolex gets top billing. For example the Daytona, its only claim to fame it is its association with a salad dressing guy, it broke no new ground at all. It’s far less significant than the navitimer, Speedmaster, el primero, yet to the secondary market the Daytona is a more important watch. What has it done? Nothing nothing at all, and that’s not disputable. But the market demand is there. Breitling makes watches and not wearable stocks and bonds, so while I agree with you what’s to be done about that. I can tell you I see 100 Rolex on people’s wrist for every 1 Breitling I see in the wild, so it’s the branding. But when you strip it down, breitlings release
Have been far more exciting than Rolex by a mile recently. I mean Rolex gets a pass on things other brands don’t. That business about slapping on 40 year old technology on the Daytona in 2016 and calling it an upgrade (btw seiko puts ceramics on 600 dollar watches and rado has used it for 40 years) is laughable how people fall all over themselves to get it. Pure gimmick.
Old 29 March 2020, 06:39 AM   #7
56scooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
The resale is largely driven by sentiment and branding. Rolex gets top billing. For example the Daytona, its only claim to fame it is its association with a salad dressing guy, it broke no new ground at all. It’s far less significant than the navitimer, Speedmaster, el primero, yet to the secondary market the Daytona is a more important watch. What has it done? Nothing nothing at all, and that’s not disputable. But the market demand is there. Breitling makes watches and not wearable stocks and bonds, so while I agree with you what’s to be done about that. I can tell you I see 100 Rolex on people’s wrist for every 1 Breitling I see in the wild, so it’s the branding. But when you strip it down, breitlings release
Have been far more exciting than Rolex by a mile recently. I mean Rolex gets a pass on things other brands don’t. That business about slapping on 40 year old technology on the Daytona in 2016 and calling it an upgrade (btw seiko puts ceramics on 600 dollar watches and rado has used it for 40 years) is laughable how people fall all over themselves to get it. Pure gimmick.
Although I agree with most of what you say I truly believe that resale is driven by overall production. Breitling produces too many watches, it then pushes these watches onto regional distributors, i.e. Breitling USA, these distributors then push them on the AD's. AD's and regional distributors can only sell so many, what is left over is dumped into the market driving resale value down. The only one that doesn't suffer is Breitling SA, they continue to sell large numbers. They meet their revenue goals which will make them an attractive company when the company is put up for sale. Breitling SA does not care about resale values like Rolex, they are more interested in pump and dump. Rolex is a marketing machine, Breitling not so much!
Old 29 March 2020, 08:02 AM   #8
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56scooter View Post
Although I agree with most of what you say I truly believe that resale is driven by overall production. Breitling produces too many watches, it then pushes these watches onto regional distributors, i.e. Breitling USA, these distributors then push them on the AD's. AD's and regional distributors can only sell so many, what is left over is dumped into the market driving resale value down. The only one that doesn't suffer is Breitling SA, they continue to sell large numbers. They meet their revenue goals which will make them an attractive company when the company is put up for sale. Breitling SA does not care about resale values like Rolex, they are more interested in pump and dump. Rolex is a marketing machine, Breitling not so much!

I wonder about this. I mean I see far more Rolex in the wild compared to Breitling (and omega too). Most people get 1 nice watch in their life and the brand the know most is Rolex. I mean Breitling can make less watches, but do you think that would help? I believe iwc makes less than Breitling and their models can also be had at a nice discount. There are also other micro brands out there making few watches but they are affordable, so is the soft price in Breitling purely that they are making too many?

My other point is that while Breitling has had a strong year, they need to start addressing other issues, the excess flash and the large sizes. I used to own a chronomat in 1999, fantastic watch, beat hell out of it for 10 years and it was never serviced. Like 39mm, perfect. See with Rolex they have a core offering (sub, gmt, Daytona) and really focus on that. It’s also possible that if they increase the desirability of their other lines, that may help the overall brand too perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 March 2020, 12:43 PM   #9
56scooter
"TRF" Member

In my opinion it is simple economics, supply and demand. Rolex actively manages the supply of and the demand for their products. Breitling, not so much.

Georges Kearns has a stake in the company, he needs Breitling SA to produce and sell as many as possible in order to maximize his return.

The point you make that most people buy one nice watch is a valid one. If they knew how much that watch is worth once they leave the AD they might think twice about buying another.

Collectors on the other hand get tired of getting beat up on the price every time they look to sell a watch. As a collector the poor resale and/or residual value of a Breitling watch has made me look to other brands. I still love Breitling's, but I won't pay MSRP for one of their watches. However, when you can buy a pre-owned Breitling, like new, with a Breitling warranty for 30-50% off of MSRP there is no need to pay MSRP. (the 1959 re-edition is the only exception that I can think of)
Old 30 March 2020, 10:46 AM   #10
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Very nice, not a bad price either!
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:38 AM   #11
easterbunny
"TRF" Member

for me this watch is indeed about 1k usd over priced. i love the design and can appreciate the seemingly well made nature of it. but movement-wise, i couldnt pay 5k plus tax for this.
easterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 09:21 AM   #12
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterbunny View Post
for me this watch is indeed about 1k usd over priced. i love the design and can appreciate the seemingly well made nature of it. but movement-wise, i couldnt pay 5k plus tax for this.
You wouldn’t pay near that if you’re buying from an AD. It’ll be discounted just like any regular production model from an AD. I can’t imagine why anyone would buy from Hodinkee or even online knowing these are going to sit with ADs.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote