The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 May 2020, 11:20 AM   #1
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Incoming DRSD! Did I get burned?

So I went out and picked up a DRSD from a non trusted private seller. I spent a lot of money on this without getting a second opinion but hopefully I made the right decision.

I know the bracelet is newer but with this watch of course dial is the main concern. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think.

Zz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 11:45 AM   #2
Zhaodan920
"TRF" Member

Dial looks refinished and/or fake (?) because the coronet and lume plots look odd to me. Defer to others here that know this stuff far better than me, but wanted to point you to the DRSD site, which was really helpful for me when buying a single-red. http://drsd.com/watch-info/double-red-seadweller/

Do you have a return policy?
Zhaodan920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 11:47 AM   #3
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaodan920 View Post
Dial looks refinished and/or fake (?) because the coronet and lume plots look odd to me. Defer to others here that know this stuff far better than me, but wanted to point you to the DRSD site, which was really helpful for me when buying a single-red. http://drsd.com/watch-info/double-red-seadweller/

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely looked through that site as my main reference before buying. To me the dial matches V2. Also the lume plots do have a slight glitter under loupe and black light.
Old 13 May 2020, 11:48 AM   #4
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Oh and no return possible. I’m stuck with it regardless.
Old 13 May 2020, 12:07 PM   #5
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
May I ask why you made the ultimate commitment with zero ability of returning and without doing your due diligence?

Even if it is 100% legit you can always get the next one if you miss it, but armed with the knowledge and more confidence on knowing what to look for.

I don't know of it's authenticity. I hope you don't have to learn a hard lesson. Good luck.
Old 13 May 2020, 12:14 PM   #6
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Pretty big gamble. I’m not good at spotting fakes. That looks a little too clean with perfectly matching hands. Not saying it’s not correct but it’d sure make me too nervous to drop a bundle with no possibility to return it.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 12:26 PM   #7
Michael M.
Banned

Dial and case are undoubtedly fake. Return immediately.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 12:27 PM   #8
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
May I ask why you made the ultimate commitment with zero ability of returning and without doing your due diligence?

Even if it is 100% legit you can always get the next one if you miss it, but armed with the knowledge and more confidence on knowing what to look for.

I don't know of it's authenticity. I hope you don't have to learn a hard lesson. Good luck.

Fair question but not totally sure how to answer. Regardless of where purchased though there is going to be risk. I just tend to take the riskier route.

I do have some vintage experience just not this particular model. I have a fair amount of confidence in this piece between the story behind it and the embossed paperwork which matches the case and case back. The dial to me is the part that carries the most risk. It seems the difference in value is about 50k...I paid somewhere between the values.
Old 13 May 2020, 12:27 PM   #9
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. View Post
Dial and case are undoubtedly fake. Return immediately.

How so?
Old 13 May 2020, 12:29 PM   #10
BigBlue1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaodan920 View Post

I have nothing to add but agree with the above, The coronet looks off to me and that stuck out to me right away, the short and stubby look. To me the closest resemblance to me is the IV. Still the O under the coronet is wrong.

Don't take my advice though. I am not well versed in these and know these are infamous for being faked.

I wish you luck and hope it turns out good for you.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 12:30 PM   #11
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Those chamfers, as a point of education, are they over polished? It looks like the lugs don't have much meat left?
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 12:34 PM   #12
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Papers are fake....well at least the fake punch they used on the numbers....the holes don’t even go through the paper.....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 12:48 PM   #13
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Papers are fake....well at least the fake punch they used on the numbers....the holes don’t even go through the paper.....

For a very short time papers where embossed, not punched. Every comparable example I’ve seen of that has been the 3 million serial range.
Old 13 May 2020, 01:14 PM   #14
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
What I do know for certain is that the dial is no good for sure. Jeez. Never seen "that applique" before.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 01:18 PM   #15
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Who is the seller? It should be made public if they're selling fakes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 02:14 PM   #16
gazar
"TRF" Member

Is it a Vietnam made dial?

Saw some thread people commenting there is very good fake dial made in Vietnam used to deceive buyers.
gazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 02:19 PM   #17
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
Who is the seller? It should be made public if they're selling fakes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Private seller.
Old 13 May 2020, 02:24 PM   #18
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Is this schrodingers watch, it's both real and fake until you post a picture of it onto TRF?
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 02:25 PM   #19
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Update- so the seller is a really old guy that claims he purchased it directly from Jewelery store “so long ago he can’t remember the exact year or place”.

With the concerns in this thread I called him up and surprisingly he answered. His words are “it’s nonsense”. I asked him if a return would be an option and he said yes but we’ll see if he answers the phone tomorrow.

He suggests I take it to a watchmaker in person which I will do tomorrow.

If the only issue is the dial I’m not in too deep to keep it however others have raised concerns about the case itself.
Old 13 May 2020, 02:29 PM   #20
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zz101 View Post
Update- so the seller is a really old guy that claims he purchased it directly from Jewelery store “so long ago he can’t remember the exact year or place”.

With the concerns in this thread I called him up and surprisingly he answered. His words are “it’s nonsense”. I asked him if a return would be an option and he said yes but we’ll see if he answers the phone tomorrow.

If the only issue is the dial I’m not in too deep to keep it however others have raised concerns about the case itself.
The dial is the most valuable part of the watch.
btinl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 02:41 PM   #21
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl View Post
The dial is the most valuable part of the watch.

True but a real watch with a fake dial can be remedied. A fake watch with a real movement can’t.
Old 13 May 2020, 04:44 PM   #22
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
I note the case back is Patent Pending ,The serial number maybe a little high .

I think they fell into a very small know area. Like 179xxxx 2274xxx

Yours is in the 3xxx
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 05:40 PM   #23
lovegmt73
"TRF" Member

IMHO Fake papers and fake vietnamite dial

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
lovegmt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 06:09 PM   #24
gazar
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Why do you want to keep a watch that it’s dial is made in Vietnam lol, what’s the point.

Just return it.
gazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 06:22 PM   #25
BigBlue1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazar View Post
Why do you want to keep a watch that it’s dial is made in Vietnam lol, what’s the point.

Just return it.
The way the OP made it sound, this guy isn’t giving him back his money. Very expensive lesson for sure.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 06:22 PM   #26
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazar View Post

Just return it.

Return may not be possible and if the dial/hands are the only issue they’d be replaced.
Old 13 May 2020, 06:24 PM   #27
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
The way the OP made it sound, this guy isn’t giving him back his money. Very expensive lesson for sure.

He says he would but until it happens I won’t count on it and consider it unlikely. Private sale, met in bank...
Old 13 May 2020, 06:25 PM   #28
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:

You are a lucky man for the seller accepting a return. I say return it. One day, if you decide to sell the watch, you will struggle , considering the feedback received so far.....
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 06:34 PM   #29
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
The scratches look fake as well .
Old 13 May 2020, 06:38 PM   #30
Zz101
"TRF" Member

At this point I can see that there are some definite issues with this watch but I’d like to share as much details as possible so that others may learn and not end up in my shoes. There’s enough money in genuine parts that worst case scenario I get some money back from those and the remaining losses go to learning.

For this to be an entire scam it would have had to have been very well coordinated...someone with knowledge of the plausible years.

First let’s start with the paperwork, box booklet. The paperwork seems 100% legit. It has watermarks and age to it. The age would be the hardest to replicate. There is however a convenient scratch over the year.

The dial and hands seems to be generally agreed that they are not genuine. After careful looking I see some of the issues others have stated. I’ll leave the exacts out cause we don’t want them to get any better.

Bracelet seems to be genuine 1997 93150.

Movement genuine 1570 movement.

The case is the tricky part however. For the case to not be genuine this is where some trickery would have come in. First the papers would have had to been acquired. Then the serial would have had to have been engraved onto the case back and case. I’ll include some macros below of the engraving but you can see that the bracelet scratches are over the engraving which would show that this isn’t new engraving.

Now the case back year 1.72 also is very plausible on a 3.1 million serial. There is also a service engraving for 98 which is different than the serial, writing. Not to say that would be very difficult but it would be a further action to push the agenda. Patent pending does not make sense here though.

Insert also seems genuine but haven’t heard any comments on that and not 100%.