The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 May 2020, 11:16 PM   #1
Stu3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Accutron Astro/GMT
To Re-Lume or Not Re-Lume - That is the Question

What are your thoughts about re-luming the hands and dial on vintage watches? My GMT (1987) needs a service (thinking about using The Watch Buyers Group as AD prices are a bit steep IMHO) and I sure would like some fresh lume as the original lume is not very useful at all.

What kind of lume would be on a GMT from the 80s? Are there newer and better choices now that last longer and are brighter? Or is it considered a party foul to re-lume and it hurts the value of the watch?

Interested in your thoughts.

Last edited by Stu3; 25 May 2020 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: typo
Stu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:34 PM   #2
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Personally I would get a new service dial, hands and bezel if needed. I like my watches to look new. IF you are into vintage collecting you should do nothing, including re luming the hands IMO.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:05 AM   #3
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
To Re-Lume or Not Re-Lume - That is the Question

If you relume your hands and dial to glow you can guarantee it ruin the resale value.

Take the original hands and dial, store them safely and install a service dial and hands.

People relume hands but to match the age of the watch, not to glow.
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:23 AM   #4
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Take the original hands and dial, store them safely and install a service dial and hands.
I'm with Tekno - even I wouldn't ruin a decent dial when a service one will do what you need and aside from the fairly minor cost, leave you whole should you ever decide to sell the watch or return it to original. Relume your Seiko 5s instead!
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:29 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If the dial is damaged, or the hands are falling apart, there is nothing wrong with a professional re-lume. It will look good and become functional again.

A re-lume affects originality. Purists will hate it, but it is unlikely to affect the market price outside Forum on line buyers and complainers.

If it is a 16760, it's a bad idea. 16710's can be brought back to life.
Old 26 May 2020, 02:04 AM   #6
Stu3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Accutron Astro/GMT
Watch is 16750....1987....black dial...I thought the Pepsi dials were a bit showy...but I guess I might have been wrong because the Pepsi dials seem to be worth more now. Who knew? I was just thrilled that my parents would buy me an expensive watch as a present for sucking up 4 years of Math and Physics (Trent University). I still have the receipt for $1800 Cdn.
Stu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 02:22 AM   #7
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu3 View Post
Watch is 16750....1987....black dial...I thought the Pepsi dials were a bit showy...but I guess I might have been wrong because the Pepsi dials seem to be worth more now. Who knew? I was just thrilled that my parents would buy me an expensive watch as a present for sucking up 4 years of Math and Physics (Trent University). I still have the receipt for $1800 Cdn.
Nice. As someone mentioned, If you're after the glow get a new set of dial and hands and keep the originals aside. I hope you know that if you do this at Rolex, you wont get the old parts back. ofc, thats IF they have replacement parts.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 02:53 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu3 View Post
Watch is 16750....1987....black dial...I thought the Pepsi dials were a bit showy...but I guess I might have been wrong because the Pepsi dials seem to be worth more now. . . .
An '87 16750 with a black bezel insert (I'm sure you don't mean dial) would be a very rare bird indeed. The 16750 was replaced by the 16700 the following year.

Unless you have a damaged dial and hands, I would not change anything on this watch. I would have it properly serviced and maybe have the lume stabilized by a vintage professional, not relumed.

This is one where the value would be destroyed if the wrong decisions are made.
Old 26 May 2020, 02:56 AM   #9
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Provide some pictures. People will be able to help you more if they can see what you're working with.

Original lume is much more valuable than a relume job. Everyone likes the real thing.

If it has water damage or something, then you might be able to find someone who can relume it with tritium paint. It will be a serious hunt, but they might be out there. I'm only suggesting this route if it's TOTALLY destroyed and look hideous.
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 03:37 AM   #10
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
I would not relume or even restore the dial or hands unless there was Damage. Most relume jobs I’ve seen are pretty shoddy anyway. If you decide to relume be real careful who you send it to for that service. If you don’t care about keeping it vintage than, as its been said earlier, consider a service dial and hands.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 08:48 AM   #11
SailingLife
"TRF" Member

Please don’t re-lume it will kill the value of the watch in the future
SailingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 09:13 AM   #12
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Post some pictures please!
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote