The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Old 12 July 2018, 11:08 PM   #421
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Nope answer is to ALWAYS use pay pal or AMX for payment - or both! The trouble occurs when you wire money- you become the stickee with little or no recourse.So sorry to see this - and now the shipping company drags their feet on payment. Had either of the methods I suggested used payment to seller could be stopped immediately.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 11:49 PM   #422
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Any news??
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 11:58 PM   #423
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
+1. Who buys a relatively common watch (ie not unique or vintage) from a one off guy? Just buy from an established place.
My sentiments exactly, this happens all the time. Buyer sees a watch that might be a few hundred lower and then the next thing you know is they are on the forum complaining they are out thousand's of dollars and no watch. Stick with the trusted sellers.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 03:23 AM   #424
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
My sentiments exactly, this happens all the time. Buyer sees a watch that might be a few hundred lower and then the next thing you know is they are on the forum complaining they are out thousand's of dollars and no watch. Stick with the trusted sellers.
For buyers, It is really easy to say buying from Trusted Sellers. But that makes it really difficult for private sellers
What if you want to sell your watch one day and you don't have much history buying or selling. Trust sellers are only willing paying you a few thousand dollars less than the the fair value.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 03:33 AM   #425
MinMay
Banned

And that's why flipping is NOT easy. Newbies just don't get it...they'll learn the hard way, wondering why they're losing money or can't sell their new watch privately.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 04:08 AM   #426
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
And that's why flipping is NOT easy. Newbies just don't get it...they'll learn the hard way, wondering why they're losing money or can't sell their new watch privately.
Certainly helps to live in a major metropolitan area where face-to-face is a more realistic option.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 05:36 AM   #427
wesdaniel

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
For buyers, It is really easy to say buying from Trusted Sellers. But that makes it really difficult for private sellers
What if you want to sell your watch one day and you don't have much history buying or selling. Trust sellers are only willing paying you a few thousand dollars less than the the fair value.
In the grand scheme of things, though, it seems like this happens relatively rarely here on TRF.

I've bought seven watches here. Without naming names:

2 from people with 125 - 200 positive feedback in Buyer/Seller Who's Who
1 from a person with 50-75 positive feedback
3 from people with 20-50 positive feedback
1 from a person with 5 positive feedback

Fortunately, all of my transactions went smoothly and there weren't problems, but, two of those sellers are now banned (I don't know why) and that gave me a bit of heartburn.

I think that there are a lot of factors to consider. Such as what the individual's post level is (not just number of posts, but quality of posts and amount of interaction); whether the individual has people on here that can vouch for them as a person; whether the person is willing to have a phone conversation with you and, of course, how many sales and purchases they've made here.

I don't think that everybody who buys from sellers who don't have thousands of transactions here is doing it to save $200 or $300. Most of the watches that I've bought have been because they're not commonly listed. If I wanted a Datejust, I could get one all day long from 20 sellers. If I want something a little less common, I have to take what's posted and decide whether it's worth the risk.

In the end, I've saved thousands of dollars off from MSRP on these watches and have gotten some watches that I wouldn't have found anywhere else. I took some risks, but I tried to mitigate those risks as much as possible.

The person who suggested PayPal and AmEx as preferred ways to pay makes a really good point. I've wired a few times, done F2F once and most of them were via PayPal.

If someone won't buy from any seller other than the ones who sell hundreds of watches here, that's fine. But, I don't think that's necessarily the only way to do this either.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 08:29 PM   #428
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Accepting thousands in losses may be your remedy, but it doesn't work for many other people. The trusted sellers will only give you their version of wholesale. The loss against market value is thousands of dollars in most cases.

A lot of watches are sold here by private sellers. And there aren't very many scams. If you have the patience, selling your watch yourself is the smart move.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 03:40 AM   #429
Burlington
"TRF" Member

What a messy situation - do hope it can get resolved one way or the other.

Regarding the parcel weight, there is at least one way I can think of which would change the shipped weight between dropping off and it arriving, so not even sure parcel weight is definitive *proof* of anything.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 07:09 AM   #430
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Not wanting to F2F with a 90 min drive is throwing every red flag for me.
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 09:47 AM   #431
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
Not wanting to F2F with a 90 min drive is throwing every red flag for me.
I'm not spending three hours in the car for a watch, unless it's from an AD. Not wanting a F2F is a personal choice, not a scam.
Old 15 July 2018, 09:55 AM   #432
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I'm not spending three hours in the car for a watch, unless it's from an AD. Not wanting a F2F is a personal choice, not a scam.

Sorry reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit. I clearly said 90 mins. You should try logic and reason instead of erecting straw men to argue with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15 July 2018, 10:26 AM   #433
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit. I clearly said 90 mins. You should try logic and reason instead of erecting straw men to argue with.

90 mins each way is 3 hours, buddy
Old 15 July 2018, 11:46 AM   #434
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:

Sorry math isn't your strong suit. It's a two way trip, 90 minutes each way.

The whole point of an online sale is convenience. As soon as the F2F becomes inconvenient there's no point in pursuing it. Three hours in the car is a PITA. Choosing to avoid that kind of hassle is not a red flag, it's a choice.
Old 15 July 2018, 11:53 AM   #435
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

The watch is in a 90 minute radius and I’m dropping 8k, I’m driving. Best of luck with UPS, USPS, and FedEx.

Old 15 July 2018, 12:07 PM   #436
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
The watch is in a 90 minute radius and I’m dropping 8k, I’m driving. Best of luck with UPS, USPS, and FedEx.

Your choice. I've purchased five Rolex without leaving my living room. All arrived on time, no issues. That's the norm, not the exception (the trusted sellers would be out of business if they needed to rely on F2F).

The OP was being quite reasonable expecting the seller to be able to safely ship the watch. Choosing not to burn half a day on a F2F is a reasonable choice.
Old 15 July 2018, 03:28 PM   #437
MinMay
Banned

too many horror stories F2F as well... google it and you'll find plenty of real life situation with F2F issue.

1. gun point
2. grab money and run away
3. and even death.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 02:12 AM   #438
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Not wanting a F2F is a personal choice, not a scam.

Agree fully - don’t see why it would be construed as otherwise.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 10:23 PM   #439
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helo008 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'd love to be able to offer good news, but as of yet there are still no updates. A week and a half ago a regional UPS investigator came to inspect and take pictures of the package, and he has told me that he has gathered all the information from the receiving end (there is another investigator at the sending end) and submitted it to the claims handler. He is not sure about when a decision will be made, although he expects it will likely happen in the next several weeks.

As the receiver and not the shipper UPS does not keep me in the loop, but the investigator was great and has made himself fully available to me if I ever want to check on the status of the claim.

I'll be sure to keep you all fully updated as soon as there are developments on my end.
Any updates?
Old 19 July 2018, 03:33 AM   #440
Americany13
"TRF" Member

Nothing New on this?
Americany13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 03:50 AM   #441
southtexas

Quote:
too many horror stories F2F as well... google it and you'll find plenty of real life situation with F2F issue.

1. gun point
2. grab money and run away
3. and even death.

I remember a year or two ago, a guy posted pics of his buddy who did a F2F...guy was lying in a hospital with multiple stab wounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 04:17 AM   #442
0037ksm
"TRF" Member

A couple of things:

1. Years ago, I was shipped an item via UPS. It arrived in pieces. UPS will only deal with the Shipper as he paid the money to UPS making it a contract between the two. It took months, but UPS eventually paid. I hope your situation is likewise successfully resolved.

2. My city’s Police Dept. offers a Safe Space program where ftf exchanges can take place at the station. I think many communities offer the same.
Old 19 July 2018, 04:30 AM   #443
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0037ksm View Post
A couple of things:

1. Years ago, I was shipped an item via UPS. It arrived in pieces. UPS will only deal with the Shipper as he paid the money to UPS making it a contract between the two. It took months, but UPS eventually paid. I hope your situation is likewise successfully resolved.

2. My city’s Police Dept. offers a Safe Space program where ftf exchanges can take place at the station. I think many communities offer the same.
Many cities are now offering this service... it is a very good alternative to Starbucks which is where most of these F2F gone wrong situations tend to happen...
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 08:10 AM   #444
helo008
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Tank Solo
Hey everyone,

Been a few weeks since I've updated this thread--it's amazing to see all of your support in resolving this issue and I really appreciate it.

At the moment, UPS is still in the process of their investigation and I've been informed by a representative that it is taking longer than expected due to the high value of the item. Unfortunately, that means that at this point I am still out the value of the watch but I am actively reaching out to UPS waiting for updates.

As soon as I hear anything I'll be sure to update this thread, but at the moment, I'm still waiting on UPS to make a decision. Thank you all for keeping up with this situation, and I'll be sure to keep you all updated.
helo008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 08:26 AM   #445
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Is the seller still communicative and providing the necessary support?
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 01:52 PM   #446
brandobot

Watch: Daytona
What a mess. Unlike some others on here, I prefer to do f2f transactions. Unlike many others, I like to use platforms like eBay as there is a level of buyer protection.

Paying by wire is like handng someone cash and hoping they keep their end of the deal.
brandobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 03:30 PM   #447
havingagoodtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 / 16570
I videotape the complete unboxing of every watch I receive. Once the box is opened, the camera then does a full detailed observation of the watch to confirm the condition matches that of the previously provided photos. If all checks out, the video is deleted or archived. Very little effort for the piece of mind. I really hope this watch turns up for you. What a sour experience!!
havingagoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 08:22 PM   #448
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
No news = Bad news. At this point. Ouch.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 10:23 PM   #449
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by havingagoodtime View Post
I videotape the complete unboxing of every watch I receive. Once the box is opened, the camera then does a full detailed observation of the watch to confirm the condition matches that of the previously provided photos. If all checks out, the video is deleted or archived. Very little effort for the piece of mind. I really hope this watch turns up for you. What a sour experience!!
I do the exact same thing.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 10:42 PM   #450
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
So you sent money via 'Direct Wire' to a stranger and you actually expected to get something in return? You are definitely my kind of customer.

michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote