The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 26 September 2016, 08:46 PM   #1
orlandoboom
"TRF" Member

A good Mont Blanc alternative...

...is Graf von Faber Castell!

Usually reserve these guys for a tough day at work. I don't recommend cartridge fountain pens at this price point, but honestly the ease of cleaning is always a plus.

orlandoboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 04:59 PM   #2
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoboom View Post
...is Graf von Faber Castell!

Usually reserve these guys for a tough day at work. I don't recommend cartridge fountain pens at this price point, but honestly the ease of cleaning is always a plus.

I need to look away. Between you and bisquitlips, I'll be doomed!!
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 09:16 AM   #3
orlandoboom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
I need to look away. Between you and bisquitlips, I'll be doomed!!

At least they don't require the financial commitment of a Rolex!

You know I always feel that late days at the office, you only have two things really: a watch and a pen. It's always nice to have good company.
Old 28 September 2016, 09:20 AM   #4
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:

At least they don't require the financial commitment of a Rolex!

You know I always feel that late days at the office, you only have two things really: a watch and a pen. It's always nice to have good company.

Ain't that the truth!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.6 KB, 298 views)
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 28 September 2016, 10:24 AM   #5
orlandoboom
"TRF" Member

Excellent picture! I too am thinking of getting Omas next. Our distributor for GvF also handles Omas, just not sure I can appreciated it yet in my current rotation.

Similarly I have been thinking of Montegrappa, another Italian like Omas.
Old 28 September 2016, 12:46 PM   #6
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
The GFC line of writing instruments are the epitome of German engineering.

I have never seen an imperfect Castell.

One of my favorite makers no doubt and I am not sure that it is a substitute for a MB as in my opinion they are different. Montblanc, as good as they can be, are all about esteem. GFC pens are about workmanship and I don't believe they will ever have the following the MB does as they don't seem to go after it. But among connoisseurs of fine and wonderfully engineered writing instruments there is very few if any in its class.

Lovely set you have there.

Here is one of my favorites just recently added.

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 03:14 PM   #7
orlandoboom
"TRF" Member

Amazing limited edition!

Also, I could not have said it better. Thank you for the compliment but they are not as special as yours. I've seen the amount of hand work that goes into one, and they are "almost" too nice to use, especially the pen of the year editions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post

One of my favorite makers no doubt and I am not sure that it is a substitute for a MB as in my opinion they are different. Montblanc, as good as they can be, are all about esteem. GFC pens are about workmanship and I don't believe they will ever have the following the MB does as they don't seem to go after it. But among connoisseurs of fine and wonderfully engineered writing instruments there is very few if any in its class.

Old 29 September 2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Excellent picture! I too am thinking of getting Omas next. Our distributor for GvF also handles Omas, just not sure I can appreciated it yet in my current rotation.

Similarly I have been thinking of Montegrappa, another Italian like Omas.
If you want to add an Omas to your collection you should probably do it soon. There will not be any new production for the foreseeable future and the manufacturing equipment has been liquidated. The smaller milord nib seems to be more springy than the larger paragon nib for some reason. I like the milord nib better from an entertainment standpoint. I should add that my milords are the rosewood models so not sure if standard production got the same nib. The cost of the rosewood models were almost twice the standard retail. The Omas nib has a very unique "grittyness" to it I guess you could call it. Not scratchy or unpleasant in any way but a very interesting kind of feedback. They're never sickenly glass smooth. I find myself going back to Omas and have more of them in my collection than any other despite the cost or amount of work I've had to do to them. I could never bring myself to polish one of the Omas nibs for fear of losing the unique feel. I have a few mid range Montegrappas and they have been very nice. The nibs are small though on my NeroUno versions. I'm on the edge of the diving board to jump into a higher end Montegrappa with a more traditional gold nib but have not pulled the trigger just yet. I predict it's only a matter of time though. The extra Otto in green is irresistible!!
Old 30 September 2016, 08:46 AM   #9
orlandoboom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you want to add an Omas to your collection you should probably do it soon. There will not be any new production for the foreseeable future and the manufacturing equipment has been liquidated. The smaller milord nib seems to be more springy than the larger paragon nib for some reason. I like the milord nib better from an entertainment standpoint. I should add that my milords are the rosewood models so not sure if standard production got the same nib. The cost of the rosewood models were almost twice the standard retail. The Omas nib has a very unique "grittyness" to it I guess you could call it. Not scratchy or unpleasant in any way but a very interesting kind of feedback. They're never sickenly glass smooth. I find myself going back to Omas and have more of them in my collection than any other despite the cost or amount of work I've had to do to them. I could never bring myself to polish one of the Omas nibs for fear of losing the unique feel. I have a few mid range Montegrappas and they have been very nice. The nibs are small though on my NeroUno versions. I'm on the edge of the diving board to jump into a higher end Montegrappa with a more traditional gold nib but have not pulled the trigger just yet. I predict it's only a matter of time though. The extra Otto in green is irresistible!!
This is great info for me. Thank you for letting me know.

I am indeed looking at the Nero Uno Linea but yes I agree, maybe the Omas will have to come first.
Old 30 September 2016, 09:19 AM   #10
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is great info for me. Thank you for letting me know.

I am indeed looking at the Nero Uno Linea but yes I agree, maybe the Omas will have to come first.
I would highly recommend scoping out ebay for a NeroUno. I picked up a new Linea and a standard NeroUno for a hair more than half the going rate. It took a couple months of waiting but they show up "buy it now" for great prices here and there.
Old 23 November 2016, 11:28 AM   #11
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
They really are nice pens.

jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2016, 03:20 AM   #12
Juantxo
Banned

Omas

Contrary to "Formula", I must say I have never come to grips (no pun intended) with Omas. Also, I only have one Omas and it is the only one I can opine about.

Indeed, I don't "get" the "gripiness". I expected a smoother behavior from such an esteemed brand. Moreover, with time the transparent material has turned ever slightly yellowish. I used this pen once, didn't appreciate the way it wrote, cleaned it and put it away.

Different strokes, etc., I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0860.jpg (50.5 KB, 119 views)
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2016, 03:35 AM   #13
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post

Oh, Walden...!!
Old 28 November 2016, 12:25 PM   #14
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Yes sir!

Here is a really lovely review on it!

https://www.penaddict.com/blog/2015/...ain-pen-review
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2016, 06:09 AM   #15
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
Contrary to "Formula", I must say I have never come to grips (no pun intended) with Omas. Also, I only have one Omas and it is the only one I can opine about.

Indeed, I don't "get" the "gripiness". I expected a smoother behavior from such an esteemed brand. Moreover, with time the transparent material has turned ever slightly yellowish. I used this pen once, didn't appreciate the way it wrote, cleaned it and put it away.

Different strokes, etc., I guess.
Yours looks like an older pen. My old stock 360 has a nib that writes like glass. Something might not be right with the nib on your pen. Is it a fine/extra fine or something like that? My fine nib Paragon noir is a tad bit scratchy-er that the mediums but that's to be expected. My rosewood milord in fine is not so bad but that nib is very springy compared to the Paragon nib. If you get the chance, try writing with a different Omas at a pen show or a retailer. The feel of the newer pens is not so much scratchy but it has a nice feedback to it. As far as expecting smoother behavior from Omas as an esteemed brand, Omas quality can be hit or miss, from my experience. I don't have a lot of experience with older Omas pens but the newer pens, I've needed to work on. My Ludovico Einaudi Paragon was perfect right out of the box. It had been tuned and checked at Omas though before I received it. All the others needed the nib rotated a little and to be heat set. We won't even get into the piston filler coming out on 2 pens
Old 29 November 2016, 06:16 AM   #16
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Yours looks like an older pen. My old stock 360 has a nib that writes like glass. Something might not be right with the nib on your pen. Is it a fine/extra fine or something like that? My fine nib Paragon noir is a tad bit scratchy-er that the mediums but that's to be expected. My rosewood milord in fine is not so bad but that nib is very springy compared to the Paragon nib. If you get the chance, try writing with a different Omas at a pen show or a retailer. The feel of the newer pens is not so much scratchy but it has a nice feedback to it. As far as expecting smoother behavior from Omas as an esteemed brand, Omas quality can be hit or miss, from my experience. I don't have a lot of experience with older Omas pens but the newer pens, I've needed to work on. My Ludovico Einaudi Paragon was perfect right out of the box. It had been tuned and checked at Omas though before I received it. All the others needed the nib rotated a little and to be heat set. We won't even get into the piston filler coming out on 2 pens
Funny indeed that you mention the piston filler because one of my peeves with my Omas is that I can see a small but noticeable glob of glue on the cap. It can be seen as the cap is translucent. Kind of shoddy for a "demonstration" pen.

I'll check the type of nib it has but mostly I'll just leave it in the box for my daughter to run into it after I've gone to where pens ain't needed.
Old 29 November 2016, 11:57 PM   #17
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Very interesting indeed !!
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote