The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 June 2020, 02:17 AM   #1
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Great-Grandfather’s Award Watch

This is a gold award/presentation watch given to my great grandfather for 40 years of service at the Diamond Alkali company in Fairport Harbour, OH, and the inscription references 1917-1957, so I'm assuming the watch dates to 1957 +/- a year or two at the most.

From what I've found so far, I think the reference is 3038, and it houses a 1210 manual wind movement. I've found a few similar references online with pictures (including a similar watch from around a decade later from the same company, but with a champagne color dial and the company logo on it). I've also come across very similar watches labled as "Rolex Precision" models.

Is anyone familiar with these watches, or have any additional information about them? Really just trying to hone-in and identify exactly what it is...not too concerned about value, as it won't ever leave the family (and I highly doubt would even be worth enough to entice anyone to do so, anyway). Thanks in advance to anyone with any knowledge of these or similar watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B8E77EEB-EA53-407E-AAC0-F959B3D2E8B2.jpeg (81.7 KB, 303 views)
MRPWRPATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 04:03 AM   #2
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Seems like the dial has been repainted...don’t have more info on the piece it self...nice dress watch!
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 04:22 AM   #3
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Yes, its a 3038 which was a very popular model to give away as a service award. You see them a lot with company logos printed on the dial. Your dial looks ok to me. They made contract dials which yours is which allows for a logo to be printed on it and consumer sale dials which may have the word precision on the dial and were sold to the general public.

It originally came on a leather strap from Rolex. The stretch bracelet on your watch is aftermarket and I would remove it from the watch as it could dig into the inside of the lugs since the case is 14k gold, a much softer material than the stainless steel of the bracelet.

The 1210 movement is a very robust manual wind movement and parts are plenty for it. Same movement used in the early 6694's.
Old 8 June 2020, 03:49 PM   #4
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the insights- many thanks!
MRPWRPATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote