The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 September 2019, 11:36 AM   #61
Rockk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Congratulations, that is a beautiful piece, and you are very fortunate to have acquired it.

As has been said, don't send it to Rolex, take the time to do your research, take all the time you need to be sure you know exactly what you want to do with the future of this watch.

Again, congratulations, your Grandfather truly left you an heirloom piece, and it's fantastic to read a story like this of something being passed along.

Aside from the fact that I have always loved the Daytona 116520, one of the other main reasons I finally purchased one was to leave as a memory of me for my son. When my father passed, he was only 50, all I had left that belonged to him was an old red velvet dinner jacket. I would've loved to have had something of his that was important to him for me to wear to keep feeling connected to him.

Look forward to seeing more pics and hearing what your plans are. :-)
Sorry to hear about your dad passing at such a young age. The funny part about this whole thing is the fact that my grandfather, like me, was very frugal, and, if he were alive, he would have given me his only rolex (which was gifted to him somehow, he definitely never purchased it) just so that I wouldn't have to spend my money on a watch.

I am most excited to wear this at my wedding. Both my brother and father are really excited to have my grandfather's watch there with us, since he can't physically be.
Rockk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 12:18 PM   #62
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It looks like you have a 1985-ish ref. 6263 on your hands now.

Hard to say what the perfect next step is for servicing. Many will tell you to keep everything original (assuming it is now).

But if it was me, to keep it waterproof, a new crystal and gaskets all around is what a good certified watchmaker would recommend. If you wanted the old crystal back just ask for it.

I’m sure the movement may need some service work and frankly you’re fortunate it is a manual movement. Less moving parts to go bad.

Enjoy and hope your wedding goes well. My niece had hers bayside at Thalatta Estate and it was great. A vintage estate and a vintage Daytona ought to fit well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 01:16 PM   #63
Rockk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
It looks like you have a 1985-ish ref. 6263 on your hands now.

Hard to say what the perfect next step is for servicing. Many will tell you to keep everything original (assuming it is now).

But if it was me, to keep it waterproof, a new crystal and gaskets all around is what a good certified watchmaker would recommend. If you wanted the old crystal back just ask for it.

I’m sure the movement may need some service work and frankly you’re fortunate it is a manual movement. Less moving parts to go bad.

Enjoy and hope your wedding goes well. My niece had hers bayside at Thalatta Estate and it was great. A vintage estate and a vintage Daytona ought to fit well.

Would replacing the gaskets affect the value much? I don't mind the slightly beat up crystal.
Old 4 September 2019, 01:20 PM   #64
77T

No, not at all. They are expendable and expected to be replaced.

As for the crystal, if it doesn’t crack coming loose you could keep it on there. There is always a slight risk the edges crack over time underneath the bezel.

Old 4 September 2019, 01:35 PM   #65
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
If you plan on wearing it regularly, replace the crystal. It will help ensure it’s water tight. Just keep the original and there’s no worries in terms of value.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 10:33 PM   #66
Rockk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
If you plan on wearing it regularly, replace the crystal. It will help ensure it’s water tight. Just keep the original and there’s no worries in terms of value.
I guess the question is: who can I trust in the Miami area to service the watch without replacing any parts other than the crystal and gaskets?
Old 4 September 2019, 10:34 PM   #67
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockk View Post
I guess the question is: who can I trust in the Miami area to service the watch without replacing any parts other than the crystal and gaskets?
I'd probably send it to one of the two above mentioned.

You have a beautiful heirloom there! Wear it with pride!
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 11:00 PM   #68
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Like others have said, use one of the two recommendations above. There may be some talented watchmakers near you, but with the watch you have I wouldn't even think about trying my luck. One of the downsides to having such a special time piece is that you'll have to spend more time and effort (and $$) to take care of it properly.

First world problems.
Old 4 September 2019, 11:50 PM   #69
Rockk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Like others have said, use one of the two recommendations above. There may be some talented watchmakers near you, but with the watch you have I wouldn't even think about trying my luck. One of the downsides to having such a special time piece is that you'll have to spend more time and effort (and $$) to take care of it properly.

First world problems.
I'm too paranoid to send it somewhere. You would think there are a few qualified/reputable watchmakers in a major market like Miami.
Old 4 September 2019, 11:52 PM   #70
77T

Daytona 6263 Big Red

Quote:

None in Miami that tick all the boxes:
Certified watchmaker +
Rolex certification +
Rolex parts account +
Vintage expertise +
Stellar record

Do some research using the advanced search tools on TRF. The names you’ve seen here are a good start. You may choose to have nothing polished or only some parts.

You may also look into how the the bracelet is serviced. Some parts there could need careful treatment that is better done by a different shop.

Then make some calls to the ones you pick to understand the nuances in the next steps.

You want to be clear on how to ship it, insure it, get the fees straight and an estimate of interval to get the work done.

Good luck on the next steps!

Old 5 September 2019, 12:03 AM   #71
77T

Quote:
I'm too paranoid to send it somewhere. You would think there are a few qualified/reputable watchmakers in a major market like Miami.

We were typing at the same moment...

I used this website to search for those who tick the first box I listed. Look at the CW21’s on it near you.

https://members.awci.com/AWCIWEB/AWC...earchResults=1

And none tick all the boxes.

Old 5 September 2019, 01:04 AM   #72
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Your paranoia is misplaced. I’d be more paranoid about having the wrong person do the work.
Old 5 September 2019, 01:25 AM   #73
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Your paranoia is misplaced. I’d be more paranoid about having the wrong person do the work.
x2. Well said.

Great story of this family heirloom, although bittersweet, of course.

To the OP .... the serial number (8.6 million) is the same, meaning close, to the serial number of my former Daytona that I posted earlier on this thread. And try to keep the original crystal on the watch, assuming there's no danger. They're much cooler, with more of a domed appearance. The service replacements have sharp edges and just don't look nearly as good. The originals are very hard to find.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 01:29 AM   #74
77T

Quote:

I understand the OP’s concern about loss in shipping.

This is an heirloom with a high sentimental value that even full replacement shipping insurance coverage could never sufficiently replace emotionally.

I agree that having the wrong person do the work is a major concern too. There have been cases when members here lost the value of timepiece due to butchery.

Old 5 September 2019, 05:40 AM   #75
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
This is a really great story! While I am no vintage expert (I have one old Rolex but not one worth tens of thousands...), this brings up the double edged sword of inheriting something like this.

It's beautiful, especially to us, and sentimentally very valuable. But when it also is so financially valuable, anything you do to it can significantly impact it. How you ship it, what parts you should/shouldn't replace, insuring and storing it, etc. can all be a burden that the recipient never really signed up for or expected. I'm not saying I wouldn't be thrilled to inherit something like this. It could easily lead to a new hobby or interest for OP. But it can also be a burden.

I'm glad this has turned out to be the real deal in terms of "inherited watches" and wish the OP all the best. I'd probably invest in a safety deposit box, store it for a while, and learn what I could before rushing into any next steps.
Old 5 September 2019, 05:48 AM   #76
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post

It's beautiful, especially to us, and sentimentally very valuable. But when it also is so financially valuable, anything you do to it can significantly impact it. How you ship it, what parts you should/shouldn't replace, insuring and storing it, etc. can all be a burden that the recipient never really signed up for or expected. I'm not saying I wouldn't be thrilled to inherit something like this. It could easily lead to a new hobby or interest for OP. But it can also be a burden.
I think you've struck a chord with perhaps 50% (or even more) of the inherited watches that become monetized as barn finds. Many heirs may not share the same love of timepieces, or art, or boats, cars and other things that are bestowed upon them in a will...

In the OP's case it was a delayed heirloom since his grandmother had held onto the watch for 4 years before gifting it to him. A couple of years back I restored one of my Dad's Omega's that my Mom had held onto for 30+ years after he died. My brother is now the proud owner of it but I'm sure he'll put into the vault when he sees what it will cost him to maintain some 5 years hence.

Old 5 September 2019, 05:56 AM   #77
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. DO NOT have this serviced in Miami. Send it, insured, to one of the watchmakers previously mentioned in this thread.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 10:19 AM   #78
1904 Submariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: MF 5513
Just thinking out loud here....

If you are worried about shipping your watch, maybe once you’ve decided who will be doing the service you can plan a vacation in the same city for the duration of the service. That way you can hand deliver the watch and pick it up once it’s finished.

Beautiful watch, btw.
1904 Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 10:38 AM   #79
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1904 Submariner View Post
Just thinking out loud here....

If you are worried about shipping your watch, maybe once you’ve decided who will be doing the service you can plan a vacation in the same city for the duration of the service. That way you can hand deliver the watch and pick it up once it’s finished.

Beautiful watch, btw.
I thought the same thing.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 10:40 AM   #80
77T

That could be 2 vacations spread out over several months - but it is a safe method if you don’t want to ship.

Old 5 September 2019, 01:43 PM   #81
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
x2. Well said.

Great story of this family heirloom, although bittersweet, of course.

To the OP .... the serial number (8.6 million) is the same, meaning close, to the serial number of my former Daytona that I posted earlier on this thread. And try to keep the original crystal on the watch, assuming there's no danger. They're much cooler, with more of a domed appearance. The service replacements have sharp edges and just don't look nearly as good. The originals are very hard to find.
Congratulations to the OP on a great watch! I’ve been wearing my Dad’s 6263 for almost 35 years. I’ve used LA Watchwerks for service and have been very pleased. They will also put a domed profile on the service crystal. Enjoy your watch!

Old 5 September 2019, 02:02 PM   #82
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16803
Quote:
That could be 2 vacations spread out over several months - but it is a safe method if you don’t want to ship.

That's a great option, wear the watch up and wear it back again. No posting required.
oysterquartz17000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 02:34 PM   #83
imgbyap
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 Submariner
Amazing story and phenomenal Daytona. Was legit filled with joy reading through it. Best of luck on servicing and def give it some proper wrist time in your grandfathers honor!
imgbyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 09:37 PM   #84
Rockk
"TRF" Member

https://ibb.co/qkrgJfQ

I'm wore it to work today and I just noticed that, when I rotate my wrist, I can hear something moving inside. It's fairly loud... Is that normal or should I be worried?
Old 5 September 2019, 10:53 PM   #85
77T

Daytona 6263 Big Red

Quote:

I'm wore it to work today and I just noticed that, when I rotate my wrist, I can hear something moving inside. It's fairly loud... Is that normal or should I be worried?

I’m guessing you didn’t have a watchmaker unscrew the caseback to see what condition the movement is in?

There are a couple or three reasons you’re hearing something making noice inside.

But rather than speculate, just do this for now: unscrew the crown and pull it out to hack the movement.

This won’t fix anything but it will keep any loose parts from causing damage by jamming the balance or other moving parts. Then get it to the watchmaker you’ve chosen to perform a service.

Old 6 September 2019, 12:56 AM   #86
Rockk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m guessing you didn’t have a watchmaker unscrew the caseback to see what condition the movement is in?

There are a couple or three reasons you’re hearing something making noice inside.

But rather than speculate, just do this for now: unscrew the crown and pull it out to hack the movement.

This won’t fix anything but it will keep any loose parts from causing damage by jamming the balance or other moving parts. Then get it to the watchmaker you’ve chosen to perform a service.

Is the second hand supposed to stop moving when I pull the crown out? Because it doesn't...
Old 6 September 2019, 01:46 AM   #87
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Yes, that's normal, even on a manual-wind 6263. My 6263 is fully serviced (by the Ridleys) and will continue to tick a little if shaken a bit even though it's already wound down. Of course, it will stop soon after, and no amount of shaking (don't do that anyway!) will get it to tick again if it's truly wound down all of the way.

To the OP, these are the kind of photos you need below. They don't need to be award-winners. Just clear and sharp in normal lighting. Here is my (former) 6263, 8 mil., that appears similar (I think) to the OP's watch:
WOW what a beauty
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 02:53 AM   #88
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Rockk, any update on your grandfather’s beautiful 6263 since last September? Did you fly with it out to LA or TX, or ship it, or have the work done here? Whether or not you had any work done, more photos are always welcome ...
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 08:41 PM   #89
sql
"TRF" Member

Any update would be cool!
sql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 12:51 AM   #90
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sql View Post
Any update would be cool!
It’s been a year now, who cares to spend time on this if OP hasn’t responded by now?
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote