The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 July 2018, 11:30 AM   #1
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
When trying to bundle PM and SS can't even get it done

So I keep hearing about bundling and how if you want a hard to find stainless piece its usually possible to acquire without lists etc. Well I tried it firsthand as I'm in the market for a gold daytona, so figured why not try and build that relationship with my AD. Well they were interested in selling me the gold watch all right, then I mentioned bundling for a new BLRO or SS daytona and bam they lost all interest. I guess when 40K plus taxes and not even asking for a discount on the gold piece can't get it done, what can? O well, guess I get to keep my money, just thought I'd share it with the group since I've read a lot of concepts on how this should or typically works.
Old 14 July 2018, 11:41 AM   #2
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Wild. I’d try another AD, I’m sure if you ask around enough someone will accept your $40k
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 11:52 AM   #3
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
just thought I'd share it with the group since I've read a lot of concepts on how this should or typically works.
I think how this typically works is you ask for the SS model first, they tell you you need to buy a PM piece, and then you make the deal.

Really, I suspect we see a very exaggerated view of how often this happens -- we hear about it often because annoyed people will post about it. But I imagine most Rolex dealers are just resigned to having very little inventory of SS pieces. Even if they want to sell you a "bundle," they likely have a handful of longstanding customers who are always going to come before you in line. One sale of a PM watch isn't going to put you ahead of years of buying PM watches.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 11:55 AM   #4
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
I think how this typically works is you ask for the SS model first, they tell you you need to buy a PM piece, and then you make the deal.

Really, I suspect we see a very exaggerated view of how often this happens -- we hear about it often because annoyed people will post about it. But I imagine most Rolex dealers are just resigned to having very little inventory of SS pieces. Even if they want to sell you a "bundle," they likely have a handful of longstanding customers who are always going to come before you in line. One sale of a PM watch isn't going to put you ahead of years of buying PM watches.
it happens, but who knows how common it is

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=609672
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 12:00 PM   #5
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
It's like asking someone out. Some people say yes and other people will say no.

Wait a year. Perhaps demand will cool off.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 12:00 PM   #6
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

That’s pretty outrageous. If you’d like, you’re welcome to pm me. I believe that my AD would do this for you. I have a good relationship with them and would be open to inquiring on your behalf. Assuming they say yes, I’d just put you directly in touch

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 12:12 PM   #7
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
That’s pretty outrageous. If you’d like, you’re welcome to pm me. I believe that my AD would do this for you. I have a good relationship with them and would be open to inquiring on your behalf. Assuming they say yes, I’d just put you directly in touch
Now that's a kind gesture
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 12:23 PM   #8
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Very kind of you! I was actually really trying to build more of a relationship with my AD. Was thinking future as well, as I plan to hopefully continue to build on my collection. I might just take you up on that at this point...
Old 14 July 2018, 12:35 PM   #9
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it happens, but who knows how common it is
Yeah, that was ... kind of my point.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 12:42 PM   #10
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
Very kind of you! I was actually really trying to build more of a relationship with my AD. Was thinking future as well, as I plan to hopefully continue to build on my collection. I might just take you up on that at this point...
Of course! Happy to try to help. I can’t guarantee success, but I think it’s more than likely.... There’s more than one way to continue to build the relationship with an AD. Introducing them to other great customers tends to get brownie points. And I don’t think there's anything wrong with that!

The only potential hiccup is that I put in an inquiry for a hulk the other day for myself. So I would be asking for access to 1 PM and 2 in demand SS

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 03:11 PM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Hmmmm, let's math the sh*t out of this.

40k gold minus 15% normal discount even at popular FL dealers, 20% possible if you work it well. So 40k minus 15% is 6k. At 20% you save 8k.

Take the savings and apply it towards the SS at grey. Odds are the numbers are close to getting you what you wanted :)

Of course ideally an AD would work with you for both, yet maybe the AD can't get the SS in a timely fashion so the above solutions works out well as a work-around.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 05:09 PM   #12
Pentameter
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
There has to be more than just one AD in South Florida. I would actually try going… well, to all of them, but to one of the smaller ones specifically. The PM's aren't flying off the shelves and I think the key is finding an AD that has had one in the display case awhile, so they'll be motivated to sell. Or do what enjoythemusic said if you can negotiate a decent discount on one.
Pentameter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 05:11 PM   #13
Houston77
"TRF" Member

So an AD actually honored their list rather than allowing you to jump because you bought a PM piece? Why is this a bad thing?
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 05:12 PM   #14
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
If you buy the gold Daytona the SS one will get very little wrist time anyway
Old 14 July 2018, 05:13 PM   #15
Andad

Watch: A few.
Sign of the times.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 05:14 PM   #16
guycord
"TRF" Member

Thread re-hash but Ive done the best estimation on the PM value of a Daytona based on published weights of what i assume are full metal watches.

A small error in terms of calculating the equal volume of a gold watch but ball-park it is more or less right. Some speculative estimates on manufacturing costs and presumptive margin estimates

Bottom line is that unless you want a decent PM from an AD as a bundle, buying what you want from a Grey has to be the way to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex PM Estimation.jpg (75.1 KB, 600 views)
guycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 07:05 PM   #17
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Unless you are like me and prefer SS and your PM watches actually get little time anymore.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 08:44 PM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
That's a bit tough but to be expected on those two hot models, bundling is more for the other SS watches. For example a friend of mine tried to bundle a D500 with a AP ROC which costs around the same as a gold Daytona and was told no, and that was a year ago.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 08:49 PM   #19
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
That's a bit tough but to be expected on those two hot models, bundling is more for the other SS watches. For example a friend of mine tried to bundle a D500 with a AP ROC which costs around the same as a gold Daytona and was told no, and that was a year ago.

Correct, hulk with a side of Dj
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 09:28 PM   #20
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston77 View Post
So an AD actually honored their list rather than allowing you to jump because you bought a PM piece? Why is this a bad thing?
I used to believe in lists and Santa Clause, but then reality hit. If lists were real I wouldn’t even need to attempt to “bundle” because I was first to ask to be added to this mythical list for the Pepsi gmt and was told point blank.... yes you were first to ask but we can’t sell you the first several, those are for VIPs, but stay patient and we will get you one eventually. And o yea, the more you buy of other items the more it “helps”.

I want to be clear, I totally understand this concept from the business side of things.
Old 14 July 2018, 09:35 PM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
As long as supply is tight, times will be tough in getting the population SS references.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 09:59 PM   #22
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Time to do the math. I would look at a slightly pre-owned model of a PM Daytona. The savings will be significant beyond the discount on a new model. If you take the savings from msrp on the PM Daytona and the savings from the depreciation the minute you wear the new model you might actually save some cash buying the SS Daytona-C from a TS. Also, asking prices and getting prices are a different thing. Some of the SS models that we are seeing for the low 20's are going for 18.5-19.5. See what you can do there. The AD relationship route will not work as you are not a big customer. They will treat you nice and professional but I would assume in South Florida that it would take hundreds of thousands of dollars in purchases to get you any type of special status. Good luck on your search.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 10:05 PM   #23
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Unless you are like me and prefer SS and your PM watches actually get little time anymore.
Can you elaborate? I know you have an awesome collection! I have been on the SS Daytona list for almost two years. Got impatient and fell in love with PM one 1 1/2 years ago and pulled the trigger (slightly used). If/when my deposit on the SS white comes in, I honestly don't know how it will go. I was thinking of putting it on OysterFlex to differentiate it more, but who knows? The white is certainly a very beautiful watch. So I'm curious about you sitting your PM watches to wear your SS ones.
Old 14 July 2018, 11:01 PM   #24
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentameter View Post
There has to be more than just one AD in South Florida. I would actually try going… well, to all of them, but to one of the smaller ones specifically. The PM's aren't flying off the shelves and I think the key is finding an AD that has had one in the display case awhile, so they'll be motivated to sell. Or do what enjoythemusic said if you can negotiate a decent discount on one.
PM models are selling more than before by a good margin since Rolex started limiting distribution of SS Sports models.

This is especially true in SFL. Even heard the same in Houston.

"People" will spend more than one expects to acquire Rolex. That's part of this strategy.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 11:12 PM   #25
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
PM models are selling more than before by a good margin since Rolex started limiting distribution of SS Sports models.

This is especially true in SFL. Even heard the same in Houston.

"People" will spend more than one expects to acquire Rolex. That's part of this strategy.
Agree. And...as a PM owner, I can't say I'm unhappy about it.

Rolex has always delivered a good value on PM watches. If you don't believe it, do some comparison shopping with AP and Patek sometime.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 11:56 PM   #26
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
People paying msrp for a PM watch just to have the chance to purchase a SS watch also at msrp are insane.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 12:00 AM   #27
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I've heard this said before but I certainly don't find this to be the case.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 12:02 AM   #28
nuwildcat928
"TRF" Member

OP do you actually farm corals? Used to have a really nice coral collection and then had to move. Got most of my stuff from Cherry Corals.
nuwildcat928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 12:30 AM   #29
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Did you ask for a WG on oysteflex? I suspect ADs have no trouble moving the oysteflex Daytona’s for list.

Then again a shame they don’t want to do business with you.
Old 15 July 2018, 01:42 AM   #30
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
People paying msrp for a PM watch just to have the chance to purchase a SS watch also at msrp are insane.
+10000000000
This whole thing is getting more pathetic by the day.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote