The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 May 2020, 12:46 AM   #1
MikenAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie GMT
Watch Cleaning

I was having a chat with a friend yesterday. He told me he submerses his entire watch in his ultrasonic cleaner to give it an exterior cleanse. I asked why he stated its a Sub and its waterproof. Common sense tells me this is not a good practice and Id NEVER do such a thing. The movement being subjected to the ultrasonic vibration may affect its operation is a thought I had. It had me thinking, I've never seen such a practice mentioned in the forums before, or I've missed it. Any watchmakers care to chime in, I'm curious in your opinions pro or con for such a practice.

Best
Mike
MikenAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 01:14 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenAZ View Post
I was having a chat with a friend yesterday. He told me he submerses his entire watch in his ultrasonic cleaner to give it an exterior cleanse. I asked why he stated its a Sub and its waterproof. Common sense tells me this is not a good practice and Id NEVER do such a thing. The movement being subjected to the ultrasonic vibration may affect its operation is a thought I had. It had me thinking, I've never seen such a practice mentioned in the forums before, or I've missed it. Any watchmakers care to chime in, I'm curious in your opinions pro or con for such a practice.

Best
Mike
Its completely stupid and any person that does must be sixpence short of a shilling.Now if the movement is fully dissembled then you could put the movement parts into a ultrasonic.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 01:20 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

As always, Padi is right. NEVER use an ultrasonic for the head. The bracelet, sure, yet not the head (case/movement). i take a shower, sometimes taking off the timepiece, for a better by-hand cleaning using Neutrogena Rainbath and that works fine.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 01:38 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve only ever used tap water some soap and a toothbrush ... granted I’m not a mechanic or such, but my watches don’t get babied either. Your friends mileage may vary.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 02:07 AM   #5
MikenAZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its completely stupid and any person that does must be sixpence short of a shilling.Now if the movement is fully dissembled then you could put the movement parts into a ultrasonic.
Thanks Padi, we agree.
Old 19 May 2020, 03:59 AM   #6
Rolex tom
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex,seiko,Omega
Stupid idea, eventually thanks to the vibrations of the ultrasonic he will if nothing else loosen all the screws in the movement. The torque on most MVT screws is only about 3 N-cm
Rolex tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 04:25 AM   #7
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
So for all your armchair experts (I’m including you, Padi56, do you care to explain yourselves? Tell me about all the tests you’ve done, give me the hard evidence? I love it when people chime in and tell everyone how stupid something is with absolutely nothing to back it up.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 05:36 PM   #8
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Horologist View Post
So for all your armchair experts (I’m including you, Padi56, do you care to explain yourselves? Tell me about all the tests you’ve done, give me the hard evidence? I love it when people chime in and tell everyone how stupid something is with absolutely nothing to back it up.
Please go on, do it and report back. We're all looking forward to hearing back from you.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 11:45 AM   #9
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

I know the answer, I’m just waiting for the reasons why all these people are so stupid? The actual data driven reasons. There seems to be radio silence on my call out...
Old 20 May 2020, 06:29 PM   #10
walds11
"TRF" Member

I wanna know. Subscribed to the thread...
Old 20 May 2020, 08:37 PM   #11
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Well, my call to action seems to be unanswered still so I will put forth my findings.

I’ll preface this by saying I’m a watchmaker with over a decade of professional experience and am trained on all Rolex calibers, except the sky dweller.

When a watch is ready for service at an RSC it is un-cased, with dial and hands removed and sent for pre-cleaning. This process involves the complete watch being run through a watch cleaning machine, usually one with ultrasonic and vibration cleaning.

The watch is then delivered to the watchmaker who dismantles, inspects, makes adjustments, changes worn components and then cleans and assembles.

I have never, in my time, received a watch with looses screws falling out of movement, in fact, I don’t even remember them being some what loose.

The watch is then sent to another ultrasonic cleaner, but dismantled this time. Usually, however, the balance bridge will stay on the mainplate. It is affixed via two screws. There is also a screw in the balance spring stud. Once again, when it came back from cleaning, all the screws have remained in tact with no noticeable change in torque.

To top it all off, I have performed my own tests of placing oil drops in small glass jars and submerging them in an ultrasonic tank for extended periods of time to see if lubrication was affected. The results? No change. The oil remained exactly as it was placed.

I would love other watchmakers to chime in with their observations, please.

Now, I’m not saying that I am right, I am happy to be proved wrong, and I’m not saying this should be done.

What I am saying is this - Just because you call someone an idiot on the internet for doing something you consider dumb, with absolutely no explanation why, doesn’t make you right.

The internet is full of mis information (let’s think about not showering with a watch, or the absurd static pressure myth), but let’s give the good folks of Rolex forums a little better. Let’s give them the reasons behind why they should or shouldn’t do things. Let’s back things up with facts before we start name calling.

Once again, if other watchmakers, collectors, hobbyists or generally interesting folk have other findings, please share and let’s answer this one once and for all.
Old 20 May 2020, 11:31 PM   #12
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Bravo!
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 11:34 PM   #13
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicurus View Post
Bravo!
Old 21 May 2020, 02:29 AM   #14
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Well, my call to action seems to be unanswered still so I will put forth my findings.

I’ll preface this by saying I’m a watchmaker with over a decade of professional experience and am trained on all Rolex calibers, except the sky dweller.

When a watch is ready for service at an RSC it is un-cased, with dial and hands removed and sent for pre-cleaning. This process involves the complete watch being run through a watch cleaning machine, usually one with ultrasonic and vibration cleaning.

The watch is then delivered to the watchmaker who dismantles, inspects, makes adjustments, changes worn components and then cleans and assembles.

I have never, in my time, received a watch with looses screws falling out of movement, in fact, I don’t even remember them being some what loose.

The watch is then sent to another ultrasonic cleaner, but dismantled this time. Usually, however, the balance bridge will stay on the mainplate. It is affixed via two screws. There is also a screw in the balance spring stud. Once again, when it came back from cleaning, all the screws have remained in tact with no noticeable change in torque.

To top it all off, I have performed my own tests of placing oil drops in small glass jars and submerging them in an ultrasonic tank for extended periods of time to see if lubrication was affected. The results? No change. The oil remained exactly as it was placed.

Now, I’m not saying that I am right, I am happy to be proved wrong, and I’m not saying this should be done.

What I am saying is this - Just because you call someone an idiot on the internet for doing something you consider dumb, with absolutely no explanation why, doesn’t make you right.

The internet is full of mis information (let’s think about not showering with a watch, or the absurd static pressure myth), but let’s give the good folks of Rolex forums a little better. Let’s give them the reasons behind why they should or shouldn’t do things. Let’s back things up with facts before we start name calling.

Once again, if other watchmakers, collectors, hobbyists or generally interesting folk have other findings, please share and let’s answer this one once and for all.
Totally, misinformation that widely accepted n become new norm
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 03:40 AM   #15
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

I can only add anecdotal evidence: I used to buy from a German dealer for 25 years while living in Europe. In all, I purchased at least 20 watches, all Rolex, from him. He used to put any Rolex "as is" in the ultrasonic cleaner before selling it or as a courtesy cleaning. I never had any issues with the watches, even the ones that went into the cleaner several times. And about half of them made it to the 10-year mark and an RSC service before being sold and never left COSC norm before going. At the RSC, nobody ever said anything about loose screws either.

Again, just my experience, not recommending that anybody do it.

Lineup: 1601 (SD) - 16030 (SD) - 126334 (BLSO) -116600 - 116610LV Mk.III - 126610LV - 126710BLRO Mk.III (Jubilee/Oyster) - 116500LN-0072 (BD/SD)
Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 03:53 AM   #16
sean1967
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub & gmt2
soft bristle tooth brush while showering works for me
sean1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 06:50 AM   #17
Rolex tom
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well I’m also a watchmaker and I completely disagree with you and I would advise that you don’t submerge a you watch in an ultrasonic machine as a matter of common practice.
It’s good practice to observe (in my opinion) as Not all movements and cases are the same and once you start doing it with one watch you are tempted to do it with other watches. The bracelet I wouldn’t worry to much about (Unless you have one of those Dior ones with glued stones, In fact I wouldn’t with any set watch head or bracelet). The screws on Bracelets and case backs are much higher torques. And I have found through practice that it does loosen screws. So I’m more than happy to stand by what I said.

I know it’s not Rolex but your standard 7750 had dial side screws that have a torque of 1.5 N-cm THATS A TINY AMOUNT enough for normal use not for prologued ultrasonic treatment. There’s a reason an ultrasonic is used to remove material. It loosens things.

So before you continue to call us all armchair experts it’s worth remembering that there are others on this forum.
Old 21 May 2020, 06:55 AM   #18
Rolex tom
"TRF" Member

I would also like to add I never referred to anyone as an idiot. I said it was a stupid idea and I’ll stand by it.
Old 21 May 2020, 07:58 AM   #19
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

That’s great, and exactly the kind of comment I put a call out for. My point is this is a forum where people come to learn. Your original comment did have good information about the torque and I welcome that. You weren’t the one who called them stupid, but others did. I’m happy to have dialogue about differing opinions as it creates interesting content and the matter can hopefully be resolved.

I would love to know, have you ever observed a loose stud screw after ultrasonic cleaning? I feel that would be the best measure as the screw is tiny and I imagine (I don’t know the exact torque) the least amount of torque.
Old 21 May 2020, 08:32 PM   #20
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s great, and exactly the kind of comment I put a call out for. My point is this is a forum where people come to learn. Your original comment did have good information about the torque and I welcome that. You weren’t the one who called them stupid, but others did. I’m happy to have dialogue about differing opinions as it creates interesting content and the matter can hopefully be resolved.

I would love to know, have you ever observed a loose stud screw after ultrasonic cleaning? I feel that would be the best measure as the screw is tiny and I imagine (I don’t know the exact torque) the least amount of torque.
Great info. Way to take a stand!

Slightly off topic, but is there a way ignore messages by specific users? Another forum I belong to has an option: “ignore all messages by this user.” This would be a great option to use in certain circumstances if you catch my drift
Old 21 May 2020, 10:32 PM   #21
MikenAZ
"TRF" Member

Gents.... Please correct me if needed My friend, by the way, was not going to have his Rollie serviced. He places the entire watch into an ultrasound and gives it an external cleaning from time to time. Since he is a friend of mine I am allowed to call him anything I want, we do this to each other without malice of course.

My intention was to have different opinions regarding such a practice. I believe its a no-no and would never do this. I do however remove the bracelet from time to time and ultrasound it. Its amazing what gunk is removed that way. Thanks for all your comments.

Best
Mike
Old 23 May 2020, 11:16 AM   #22
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Quote:
I doubt a detailed explanation is needed, common sense should tell anyone that putting the head of any timepiece is a ultrasonic tub that vibrates 1000’s of times a minute can’t be good for the internals, I personally have removed my steel brackets and soaked just them in a sonic tub but normally I just use a mild detergent and soft jewelry brush to scrub and rinse order warm water then dry
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 11:24 AM   #23
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenAZ View Post
. . .

My intention was to have different opinions regarding such a practice. I believe its a no-no and would never do this. I do however remove the bracelet from time to time and ultrasound it. Its amazing what gunk is removed that way. Thanks for all your comments.

Best
Mike
Not sure if the vibration, by itself, would have much affect on tightened screws for the short time it's in a sonic.

However, the process is intended to vibrate the solution into and around everything, lifting off dirt and debris as you notice on your bracelet. Think hammer drill vs., standard drill. Likewise, it has the capability of vibrating the solution under and around the seals, particularly the crystal to case area. Might not do anything to a sound and solid watch, but it could easily take advantage of anything that isn't absolutely tight. It's probably not a risk that many of us should take with a fully assembled watch head.
Old 23 May 2020, 12:39 PM   #24
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I think your exposition was splendid. But let’s peel the onion a few more layers.

We shouldn’t equate a single ultrasonic cleaning of an uncased movement with a different matter. I agree that you didn’t find something wrong prior to disassembly - it’d be a once in a million situation. And even if something did go awry in the machine, you’d be setting things straight during the service.

Recall that the OP’s question was about someone sinking a cased movement in an ultrasonic cleaner. Not once, but as part of a regular cleaning process.

How many times per year? Who’s to say. But let’s say every couple of months? That’s 6 times per year...and given that people tend to wait 5-10 years for a full service...30 to 60 times between services.

In that time, with such frequency, much can happen.

Here is what I do think...
If, under warranty, one sends a 3 year old Rolex to RSC because it stops running intermittently. And includes a note that states, “I submerge the watch regularly in my ultrasonic cleaner”.

My money is on the RSC defining that as abuse rather than performing a free full service to set things right.

IMHO, using an ultrasonic on a watch head isnt sensible when there are many other ways to clean the outside of a watch head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 03:31 PM   #25
kimobebe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV,116234
an great essay topic
kimobebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 09:56 AM   #26
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
"Can't we all just get along"
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 04:39 AM   #27
tom1969
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 114270
Also note that "ultrasonic cleaning" doesn't specify frequency, power density, or duration, all of which are important process parameters. I'm sure we all agree that, theoretically, there might be a power level that can shake a watch movement to death. But we have no idea how close anybody's ultrasonic bath is to that level, nor at which levels the baths at the RSC operate. And with so many unknowns, maybe it's not such a good idea to subject one's watch to this treatment.
tom1969 is offline   Reply With Quote