The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 March 2019, 05:54 AM   #1
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Does Anybody Bowl?

Just curious if anybody here is an avid bowler (leagues, tournaments)? If so, what's your average and what kind of tournaments do you bowl?

I bowl leagues and tournaments (not very well) and was even fortunate to have been able to bowl (and lose - to a girl) on TV once.

Just looking for kindred spirits.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 06:23 AM   #2
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

I am an avid (albeit recreational) bowler! It is something my whole family really gets involved in.

I actually just picked up a new ball a couple weekends ago... still getting used to it but i really like it so far! Best game is a 186 with it.

In college i was 190-210 bowler, but then my ball cracked and half and i never got a new one till a couple weeks ago. Now i would say my average is in the 175 range.

Best game i ever bowled was a 246!
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 09:27 AM   #3
THC

Watch: 16610M
I have my own ball.. does that count?
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 09:46 AM   #4
mistermann
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I used to, would love to get back into a league someday. Averaged somewhere between 210 and 215 when I stopped. Had a 299 in league play and many 300s in practice. Still have the 299 ring lol.
mistermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 09:50 AM   #5
mistermann
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
mistermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 10:53 AM   #6
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Calling Grady Philpott.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 02:40 PM   #7
wesdaniel

Just in case anybody's interested, here are my TV appearances. Nothing tremendous (and I lost), but was still kind of cool

The Core Challenge
Old 21 March 2019, 03:07 PM   #8
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Does Anybody Bowl?

Yup I do!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 03:12 PM   #9
wesdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermann View Post
I used to, would love to get back into a league someday. Averaged somewhere between 210 and 215 when I stopped. Had a 299 in league play and many 300s in practice. Still have the 299 ring lol.
That had to be a while ago! They don't give out 299 rings anymore!
Old 21 March 2019, 03:55 PM   #10
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
Calling Grady Philpott.
I'm an avid bowler, but not particularly talented. My book average is in the 190's. I have three 279 games and a 278.

The last well-run bowling alley in Albuquerque did a complete remodel that changed an excellent place for league play and for serious bowlers to practice and take lessons and such, into a general entertainment center, taking out six lanes to put in an arcade, furniture that everyone hates, instead of the tables, and expanded an excellent snack bar into a cheesy restaurant with over-priced, heart attack inducing fare.

I've been so disgusted (and I'm not alone) that this will be my last year bowling there and the only other option is so poorly run and maintained that it's unlikely that I will bowl more than one league, if at all.

I've been in a state of mourning for months and I will have to restructure my entire life to compensate for everything that bowling contributed to my life.

I was bowling five leagues for a few months this season, which included some subbing for an injured player in his two leagues.

Now I'm down to two and you know the rest of the story.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 10:45 PM   #11
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

I do.

I average 215 or so, but having a rough year this year. I dropped to 14lbs 2 years ago and just don't get the same carry that I used to, but going back up to 15lb would kill my wrist. Old age, 53, sucks. I threw 16lb from about 14 years old until I was 45 or so then dropped to 15.

I've had a bunch of 300s and one 800 Series, 809 (267-264-278). We moved pairs during practice due to the lane breaking down and got no practice on the new pair. That night bowling was effortless. I had one bad shot all night and it was early. I couldn't miss if I threw it blind and between my legs. I bowled that 800 series before I bowled my first 300 game.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 11:38 PM   #12
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
The last well-run bowling alley in Albuquerque did a complete remodel that changed an excellent place for league play and for serious bowlers to practice and take lessons and such, into a general entertainment center, taking out six lanes to put in an arcade, furniture that everyone hates, instead of the tables, and expanded an excellent snack bar into a cheesy restaurant with over-priced, heart attack inducing fare.

I've been so disgusted (and I'm not alone) that this will be my last year bowling there and the only other option is so poorly run and maintained that it's unlikely that I will bowl more than one league, if at all.
Sad to read this Grady. Hope things eventually work out better than they currently seem to be. Don't know all that much about you, but I do know you enjoy bowling and would hate to see you lose it.
Old 23 March 2019, 12:34 AM   #13
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm an avid bowler, but not particularly talented. My book average is in the 190's. I have three 279 games and a 278.

I've been in a state of mourning for months and I will have to restructure my entire life to compensate for everything that bowling contributed to my life.

I was bowling five leagues for a few months this season, which included some subbing for an injured player in his two leagues.

Last season our very old House closed in the middle of the season and we moved the league back to an updated place.

It used to be old, then renovated to a new entertainment center but not as much as others, just a much nicer bar, a more expensive terrible menu/food, lighting system and music. They made some accommodations for us but it's still an entertainment complex. They will randomly accept parties and give us a week's notice that we are not bowling the following week, thus completely screwing up our schedule, etc. I understand it from a business perspective but the people who run out league are weak and need to figure that sh!t out.

Boring 638 last night, but first time I touched a ball in 5 weeks so I will take it.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 12:43 AM   #14
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Sometimes but my 12 yr old nephew is better than me at it.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 02:01 AM   #15
wesdaniel

Quote:

I bowled a good sized tournament in ABQ a few years ago. Wish I could remember the name of the house we bowled in. It wasn't an entertainment center - it was a bowling alley. Had a really good time and liked the guys in the pro shop.

Sorry to hear about this :(
Old 23 March 2019, 02:13 AM   #16
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
I bowled a good sized tournament in ABQ a few years ago. Wish I could remember the name of the house we bowled in. It wasn't an entertainment center - it was a bowling alley. Had a really good time and liked the guys in the pro shop.

Sorry to hear about this :(
I'm sure that would have been Leisure Bowl, across the street from Holiday Bowl. Gary Skidmore, who owns Holiday Bowl and turned it into an entertainment center, bought Leisure Bowl with the intentions of turning it into an entertainment center, but sold out to the Kia dealer next door and there is a used Kia dealer where Leisure used to be.

So, then Gary decided to turn Holiday into an entertainment center and it is just a nightmare for league bowlers.

There is a certain irony in the fact that Gary having been a world-class, championship, professional bowler is responsible for closing more lanes than any one man in ABQ and doing more to hurt the already moribund sport of league bowling.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old 23 March 2019, 02:47 AM   #17
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
Last season our very old House closed in the middle of the season and we moved the league back to an updated place.

It used to be old, then renovated to a new entertainment center but not as much as others, just a much nicer bar, a more expensive terrible menu/food, lighting system and music. They made some accommodations for us but it's still an entertainment complex. They will randomly accept parties and give us a week's notice that we are not bowling the following week, thus completely screwing up our schedule, etc. I understand it from a business perspective but the people who run out league are weak and need to figure that sh!t out.

Boring 638 last night, but first time I touched a ball in 5 weeks so I will take it.
That's the scenario we're facing here. It hasn't gotten that bad yet, but it will in time I'm sure.

Old 23 March 2019, 02:58 AM   #18
wesdaniel

Quote:
I'm sure that would have been Leisure Bowl, across the street from Holiday Bowl. Gary Skidmore, who owns Holiday Bowl and turned it into an entertainment center, bought Leisure Bowl with the intentions of turning it into an entertainment center, but sold out to the Kia dealer next door and there is a used Kia dealer where Leisure used to be.

So, then Gary decided to turn Holiday into an entertainment center and it is just a nightmare for league bowlers.

There is a certain irony in the fact that Gary having been a world-class, championship, professional bowler is responsible for closing more lanes than any one man in ABQ and doing more to hurt the already moribund sport of league bowling.

Just looked it up. It was at Silva Lanes.
Old 23 March 2019, 03:44 AM   #19
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
Just looked it up. It was at Silva Lanes.
Ah, yes, Silva Lanes.

If I continue to bowl at all, it will be at Silva's.

It's right down the street from my apartment.

There's a lot not to like about that house, but it is still a traditional bowling alley.

The oil patterns seem to be chosen at random each week and from lane to lane.

I really like the snack bar, because it's unpretentious bowling alley food at good prices.

The crowd can be a bit crazy especially when the kids come in after league to throw balls in the dark while loud unintelligible sounds make their ears bleed.