The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 June 2016, 01:47 AM   #1
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Facts not opinions please

To all you racing boys/classic car nuts
What do you think of water wetters? Do they work? Do they slugge? What kind of coolant mixed do you boys run. Ie tap with antifreeze, distilled with antifreeze, water with wetter etc
Tarandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 01:50 AM   #2
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
No idea if it works . . .

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 01:56 AM   #3
zdeckich
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114300
water wetter works ok, its more used on race cars. If you run straight water it will run cooler but antifreeze/colant is designed to lube the water pump and keep water from freezing and help the rad and other parts from rusting. If your cooling system is working fine there is no need to add anything. A motor needs to be at a certain temp to run at 100%. too cold or to hot can be bad. Most people thing to run cooler "gain" performance, if its to cold it will hurt the engine and performance. What are you trying to gain from water wetter? Also what kind of car you wanting to put it in? If an older car adding electric fans will help keep it cooler and free up some power. If its a newer car you can add a lower tstat and have it tuned to have the fans come on sooner at a certain temp. Hope this helps, i run 60/40 coolant/distilled water with a 160tstat and tuned for the fans to come on a tad sooner. fans kick on at 160 instead of 185. But i also have heads, cam, built 408 and nitrous. My coolant temp is usually around 185-195.
Old 25 June 2016, 02:02 AM   #4
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mark IV Red Sub
Check out Hayabusa.Org and keyword water wetter. Lots of guys use it on their bikes.
VaRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 05:03 AM   #5
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

It's a 1966 sunbeam tiger, it's a little English two seater sports car (alpine) with a 260ci Ford Winsor engine. I have an engine fan on it and a electric push fan in front of the rad and currently running a tap water antifreeze mix. The car runs very hot, the fuel evaporates and a restart the engine turns slowly. Most Tiger owners fit a hood scoop to allow the hot air out, although I want to keep the original hood.

Ps thanks for the answers guys
Old 25 June 2016, 10:29 AM   #6
Scot_3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1966 boyscout
Love that car , can we ask you to share a couple pics? Sorry but I cannot contribute to your questions.
Old 25 June 2016, 11:39 AM   #7
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I have used water wetters but could only give you my opinion.

If you want 'facts' use google.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 11:45 AM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Facts not opinions please

Water wetter worked for my race cars. It let me run more aero to block up some of the openings.
For street cars it won't achieve max effectiveness because there are different reasons for overheating.

We have folks who still race the Tiger in vintage. It's a beauty.
But your running hot may be more to do with stop/go driving and lower airflow due to that little electric fan actually blocking more airflow than helping it.
You can try WW in a controlled test one day and you'll know for your own circumstances.

Run about for 2 hours and observe your peak temp. Then dump your current radiator mix, flush, then refill with the WW and H2O. Then run about for 2 more hours on same route and watch for peak temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 12:03 PM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarandy View Post
It's a 1966 sunbeam tiger, it's a little English two seater sports car (alpine) with a 260ci Ford Winsor engine. I have an engine fan on it and a electric push fan in front of the rad and currently running a tap water antifreeze mix. The car runs very hot, the fuel evaporates and a restart the engine turns slowly. Most Tiger owners fit a hood scoop to allow the hot air out, although I want to keep the original hood.

Check your timing and mixture.. Too advanced or too lean and you run hot. Then put in a larger radiator and a shroud behind it.. There is no magic liquid..
Old 25 June 2016, 12:14 PM   #10
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:

Cool car, please post a few pics. I would love to have one as a play toy for nice weather.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 01:27 PM   #11
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:

Water wetter won't cure a cooling system fault. Have you checked if your radiator is blocked etc. I've even seen cars with electrics fans wired incorectly the blow in the opposite direction of the engine fan leaving the radiator gasping for air in the middle.
Old 25 June 2016, 01:33 PM   #12
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I run the red line brand stuff in my BMW. I always use distilled/deionized water in radiators and batteries. No sense adding other dissolved elements to a system that these days have pretty much every metal on the periodic table in your coolant system plus rubber and plastic.

No facts to say it's better or not. My cooling system is working so the fans and thermostat keep things rock solid year round.

I agree with better pull fan and shroud advice. See if you can get a rad with a thicker core (triple or quadruple) in the same physical size package.

As a side note, my big block belvedere ran hot and I removed the thermostat which made it worse. Once I gutted a thermostat to create a restricted plate, things improved. Make sure you don't have a situation where the coolant is moving too slowly and you have localized boiling. Once the steam film is created the heat cannot conduct into the water and it runs away to overheating like a chain reaction.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 07:18 PM   #13
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
Water wetter won't cure a cooling system fault. Have you checked if your radiator is blocked etc. I've even seen cars with electrics fans wired incorectly the blow in the opposite direction of the engine fan leaving the radiator gasping for air in the middle.
Had the rad rebuild, will check the direction of fan blow I doubt it's wrong, but if it is I will bang myself on the head the appropriate amount of times
Old 25 June 2016, 07:23 PM   #14
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
I run the red line brand stuff in my BMW. I always use distilled/deionized water in radiators and batteries. No sense adding other dissolved elements to a system that these days have pretty much every metal on the periodic table in your coolant system plus rubber and plastic.

No facts to say it's better or not. My cooling system is working so the fans and thermostat keep things rock solid year round.

I agree with better pull fan and shroud advice. See if you can get a rad with a thicker core (triple or quadruple) in the same physical size package.

As a side note, my big block belvedere ran hot and I removed the thermostat which made it worse. Once I gutted a thermostat to create a restricted plate, things improved. Make sure you don't have a situation where the coolant is moving too slowly and you have localized boiling. Once the steam film is created the heat cannot conduct into the water and it runs away to overheating like a chain reaction.
Bloody hell, i think I did take the stat out many years ago. Must check
Old 25 June 2016, 07:25 PM   #15
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Check your timing and mixture.. Too advanced or too lean and you run hot. Then put in a larger radiator and a shroud behind it.. There is no magic liquid..
Nice shout, I'm so busy trying to find a tricy problem I over looked the basic
Old 25 June 2016, 07:39 PM   #16
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all replys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.6 KB, 656 views)
Old 25 June 2016, 07:41 PM   #17
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Could load lots of pics in one go sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.8 KB, 652 views)
Old 25 June 2016, 07:43 PM   #18
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Not a lot of room in here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (123.2 KB, 652 views)
Old 25 June 2016, 07:53 PM   #19
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

For years I kept it locked up, until I had an accident and was lucky to be able to walk. So now I enjoy it like a youngster lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.5 KB, 646 views)
Old 25 June 2016, 08:25 PM   #20
68camaro
"TRF" Member

Beautiful car.......
68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 11:29 PM   #21
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68camaro View Post
Beautiful car.......
Thanks, but with a name like that I feel you should have replied with some pictures?????????please
Old 25 June 2016, 11:42 PM   #22
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Put an oil cooler on it, that'll help bigtime
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2016, 11:35 PM   #23
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Well put a flex a fan on it (you can really notice the change in dimensions when sped up) and checked/adjusted timing (was a long way out thanks 'TOOLS') and she ran perfect
Old 6 July 2016, 09:15 AM   #24
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Awesome car!
Old 6 July 2016, 10:04 AM   #25
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
For years I kept it locked up, until I had an accident and was lucky to be able to walk. So now I enjoy it like a youngster lol
That's a beauty there mate!
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2016, 10:22 PM   #26
gulfstream69xr7
"TRF" Member

Watch: TAG Rolex
Put a shroud on it, or get the fan closer to the radiator. Small block fords will run hot with that much space between the fan and rad, especially if you have no shroud. My SBF temperature problems vanished when I changed the spacer width and got my fan right up to the radiator. I run a worked over 351 with a 390/428 fan, and the fan is about 3/8 of an inch from the radiator. Engine never ever runs hot, even in July heat. You are not pulling enough air through the radiator, and to much air around it. And if you don't have a T stat in it, put one in.
gulfstream69xr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2016, 10:43 PM   #27
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
50/50 with tap or I buy pre mixed. The coolant does more than cool so be careful.

I just bothered reading the thread and seeing the pics...beautiful car!! Tight in that engine compartment. You have a clutch fan and it is facing the correct way.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:10 PM   #28
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstream69xr7 View Post
Put a shroud on it, or get the fan closer to the radiator. Small block fords will run hot with that much space between the fan and rad, especially if you have no shroud. My SBF temperature problems vanished when I changed the spacer width and got my fan right up to the radiator. I run a worked over 351 with a 390/428 fan, and the fan is about 3/8 of an inch from the radiator. Engine never ever runs hot, even in July heat. You are not pulling enough air through the radiator, and to much air around it. And if you don't have a T stat in it, put one in.
Wow Sir the difference a shroud made is unbelievable. Thanks for advice
Old 21 March 2019, 12:29 PM   #29
goin camping
"TRF" Member

I suspect the design of the Sunbeam engine compartment is to blame.

My Sunbeam Alpines (4cyl) all overheated here in California. Had to fit in a larger radiator to keep the temp where it needed to be.

Question Tarandy. Is your Tiger positive ground?

Best to you in solving the problem.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 07:56 AM   #30
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin camping View Post
I suspect the design of the Sunbeam engine compartment is to blame.

My Sunbeam Alpines (4cyl) all overheated here in California. Had to fit in a larger radiator to keep the temp where it needed to be.

Question Tarandy. Is your Tiger positive ground?

Best to you in solving the problem.
Hi there
No it's negative ground. The cooling is all sorted now it had the flexy fan but no shroud, with a shroud fitted it really pulls the air though the rad