The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 November 2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
I'm a dirty rotten flipping flipper and have been for a year. Here's my story:

Warning: This is going to be long. TL;DR - I’m a dirty rotten flipping flipper and I’ve spent the last year flipping watches like a dirty rat bastard flipping flipper. I’ve learned quite a bit. And, yes, I’d do it again! You can ask me any questions you want and I’ll do my best to answer but I’ve tried to cover the important basics below.

Introduction

I joined TRF last year...one year and one day, to be exact. I had just bought my first Rolex at the time...a 116710BLNR, brand new from an authorized dealer. In reviewing that first incoming/intro post, I can’t help but be reminded that all of the journey of the last year started here, with me gaining knowledge from what I’ve since begun calling the “customer experts” (not facetiously...admiringly). Since that first post, only twelve short months ago, I’ve procured nearly 40 “in-demand” Rolex SS Professional models that we all know are “impossible to get.” I’m no big player at all, but I’ve glimpsed just enough “behind the curtain” to learn a few things and perhaps be able to share some tidbits and answer some questions.

So...here goes:

I’m No Watch Expert

I’d definitely not call myself a “WIS” or expert or anything like that. If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the last year, it’s that people with more mental horsepower than I’ll ever have are more obsessed with this than I’ll ever be. I do enjoy the design of a beautiful timepiece, but I’m most drawn to mechanical watches in the same vein that I am drawn to gadgets of all kinds...watches just being amazing, tiny “circuit-less” precision machines at their core. That is to say, I love the mechanical aspect of watches but am continually amazed by the depth of the technicality and history (and how little I know of it).

I Didn’t Mean To Become A Dirty Flipper

I bought that BLNR because I finally could; I had been wanting a Rolex for far too long and had finally rebounded nicely from the recession of ten years ago, which had hit me very hard. The BLNR was my stereotypical “reward” (even though I had gone in looking for something different). At that point, I was just another dude headed in to celebrate a milestone known only to my wife and me.

I quickly learned here at TRF, though, that longing for something new and different was normal. I saw the TRF classifieds and saw that I wouldn’t be losing much if I decided to sell...uh-oh...so it sort of began the moment that idea entered my head.

I Did Have Previous Experience Being A Dirty Rotten Flipper

Always an early adopter, I had been a dirty flipping eBay flipper who flipped back in my earlier day. I’ve always had flipping side gigs.

My money-maker was game-used MLB bats. I procured them and had them properly authenticated, selling the higher-value ones via the big auction houses (Grey Flannel and the like) and the more average ones via eBay or my network. I was one of the people lucky enough to be early on multiple waiting lists for the e46 M3, too, circa 2001-2003. Yes, I bought a few M3s for MSRP and sold them for more. I did the same with concert tickets over the years and, if you are of a certain age, you are probably still angry with me over those Phantom of The Opera ticket prices in L.A. back then. Sorry not sorry. :)

I guess I’ve been getting in the way of fair retail deals for decades now. Fun times and no real regrets.

The First Phase Was Killing Time On Work Trips

I spent most of this last decade on the road. Like, serious on the road...like, 150,000 plus butt-in-seat miles per year on the road. I hate sitting in hotels. I hate sitting in restaurants or bars alone for the mere sake of killing time. I am restless. So I do a ton of walking around the big cities that I’m in. I just walk and get purposefully lost in big cities all over the world and kill time by feeling, seeing, hearing, and smelling the city.

While walking aimlessly, I’d always stop in to Rolex ADs to dream a little; I was going to put one of those on my wrist one of these days, I thought, and I’d return to the nicest of the ADs that didn’t seem to believe me as soon as it was time. Of course, I finally did do that, with that BLNR, but that sentiment morphed into something vastly different soon enough.
Cloudchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 09:41 AM   #2
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

The Second Phase Began When I Got Very Curious About “The SS Shortage”

So, wait, I finally could afford the watches that were appealing to me but I could no longer find or buy them? That made no sense. Fortunately, and in a great coincidence obviously, I spent 13 years as an independent retailer. I have very legitimate retail chops and simply could not understand the idea of holding back inventory in the face of unprecedented demand. I wanted to learn. So I decided to make a more focused effort to understand the market, the demand, and, most importantly, the supply chain. It seemed like a solvable puzzle. And, to large extent, it is (more on that later).

The Third Phase Began By Sheer Luck

I was discussing the market and my theories with a retail business mentor with whom I’d discussed demand markets over the years (he was baffled by game used bats). He’s an older guy with not much tech-savvy, who was very successful in retail before the advent of the modern tech age, so I loved his pushback on the Rolex “equation.” He had a Daytona (116520) that he never wore anymore, so he knew the topic some. He had been wanting to sell it but had no idea how to go about it without taking a bath. I asked him how much he wanted for the watch and then I consulted TRF for the “market price.” I bought the watch for his price, I listed it here on TRF, and (after some confusion over me messing up the model number), I had my first successful re-sale and feedback. It seemed too good to be true.

I shared the story with my mentor and he told me that he had bought the watch with a former business partner, who had bought the same model at the same store at the same time...and wanted to sell it, as well. I bought that one too. Yes, within a matter of weeks, I had procured and sold two 116520s here on TRF and seemed to be off and running. I was rather amazed.

But How Many Lucky Pre-Owned Daytonas Could I Possibly Find?

Wanting to get a new watch for myself, and understanding that selling watches on TRF was possible/realistic, I decided to sell the BLNR, wanting instead a 116040, a Pelagos, and another positive feedback here on TRF. Easy…

So I posted the BLNR on TRF. But I F’d up a bit. I accepted an offer in principle on the BLNR and then backed out to sell to a buyer willing to wire in advance. I was early to the game and was distrustful of a process that I later learned I could have trusted. I do owe a public apology of sorts to Larry (SecondHandWatches), who is a respected member here at TRF and of the IWJGA. My bad, Larry; I’ve learned alot since then and understand why you had reservations about wiring in advance to a newb. I was a greenhorn who messed up and you were a more experienced professional who rather gracefully overlooked it. A lesson learned and greatly appreciated. If I could rewind, I would sell to Larry. Sorry again, Larry!

The shorter of it though was that I was excited to sell another watch, and saw that if I could only find more, I could keep it going. I wasn’t profiting, I wasn’t making any impact at all, I had nothing to speak of (I had at this point sold the watch that I was wearing and had none left). But I liked the idea and the game for some reason. So I kept playing.

I Wanted To Hunt Rolex SS Professional Models Because It Was Intriguing

More than thirteen years in retail taught me just how tough retail is. There were variables in the Rolex equation that did not make sense. Retail isn’t about cost of goods sold; retail is about avoiding the cost of goods NOT sold. The aim of retail is “inventory turns,” which is the stark opposite of sequestering away in-demand inventory. You can’t turn inventory in the back as quickly as you can in the front...who would argue that? Well, apparently Rolex would.

In my day, I sold the most in-demand products from Burton, Oakley (why, yes, I do still own an Oakley Time Bomb Watch) and Volcom. We were the largest independent Oakley retailer in the country at that time; we understood the demand game as well as we could. And I definitely played games with in-demand product. Always. I leveraged what I could get for all of it, all within the constraints of my “dealer agreements.” Basically, I understood the foundational game, but had never given it much thought when I was done using it.

For example, none of my most popular Burton gear ever hit the shelves in those years; it was pre-sold and pre-paid for. Hmmm...maybe I understood the game better than I realized. Sure, I’d have loved to have had more 3L Burton AK to sell, for example, but I couldn’t really complain because the margin was great and the sales fast and simple...and I was NEVER sitting on them unsold.

With that front of mind, I began approaching ADs as a former retailer rather than as a guy interested in finding a hot Rolex model. I walked into each AD with fresh eyes and an open mind. I purposefully played dumb about watches, which wasn’t very hard in the beginning...I didn’t know much aside from the current model line at the time. I was non-threatening and eager to learn.

I asked questions about other products in the store, other brands of watches, other elements of their business, etc. I was just another know-nothing jackass with a few duckets in my pocket and a willingness to part with them for the right salesperson. In other words, I was my own best former customer. I learned the most by watching the other Rolex customers in ADs, too. I sought to make myself a customer that an AD enjoyed seeing rather than the lemmings I saw embarrassing themselves.
Old 24 November 2018, 09:43 AM   #3
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

I Kept Hunting Rolex SS Professional Models Because It Was Fun And I’m Competitive

Go ahead, tell me I can’t have something. I’ll get it, largely for the thrill of the chase/hunt/kill. I’ve always been that way. The Phantom Of The Opera tickets started as a challenge and ended as the funnest side-gig I’ve ever had. I’ve always had a side gig. I’m not quite as douchey as you’re picturing, probably; I’m sure we could have a beer and enjoy some friendly conversation, but being as though I’m not well-monied (relatively speaking), I tend to acquire in-demand items by being good at getting in the way. I own it but that’s the truth. It annoys people and always has, but I do get up to the front of “lines.” The best analogy that I can make could be that I was the 15 handicap golfer (I am no longer a 15 thankfully) who never paid for golf. How the hell does a 15 handicap consistently play the best courses all over the country for free? Very similarly to how a Rolex newb acquires nearly 40 SS Rolexes in 2018, actually (more on that below but the applicable snowboard saying would be “bros before hos or pros”).

This competitive nature also fits nicely in to the general spirit around the current iteration of the Rolex brand, though. The narrative from customers is that they can’t be had, thus a competitive spirit is born. I’m a customer landing them all the time...the game must be on. The narrative from ADs is that I can never get “x” watch...but sometimes I even get them from the person that only five minutes prior told me I’d never get one. Often, biting my tongue during an AD visit is difficult (I can’t ever procure that one? The one that I’ve procured five of in the last two months? That one? Ever?). But I do. It’s a competitive game from all angles...human nature. I like to tell people that there are only two types of people in this world, aggressive and passive-aggressive. Both are always competing, just in different ways.

Intentionally or not, Rolex has gamified their distribution model. It truly is a game. I’m playing. If you’re still reading this, you’re definitely playing. It’s just that the rules of the game are undefined to this point so everyone tends to deem it “unfair.”

The customers can’t have the watches because competition (demand) is so thick. ADs don’t have as many watches as they’d like because competition (supply to other ADs) is so thick. The greys have the watches because only the ones willing to develop a marketable skill are going to win the competition when the stakes become real currencies (as is clearly now the case).

This, in fact, sounds like the beginnings of a cut-throat competition in which the stakes and rewards are high. Dare I say it, it sounds like a very fun and challenging game. Who’s in exactly? It looks like both the aggressive and passive-aggressive are in. Should be fun then, no?

When you add to all of that the fact that the demographic for these watches is what it is (wealthy, educated, competitive “type A’s”), who among us would possibly be surprised that it has come to all of this?

So it’s basically a form of sociological chess without concrete rules or a board. Oh, wow, then the game is merely base human instinct! It, in turn, becomes a game “so simple, even a caveman could do it.”

Because...

Bartering Is Human And Human Is Bartering

Let’s assume for a moment that you’ve stupidly asked for a DaytonaC (white dial...let’s keep it more interesting) and that the AD actually does have one unspoken for in the back. Why in the hell should they sell it to you? That AD/SA can think of others more worthy immediately...literally five to ten off the top of their head. So, while it may be unspoken for, it has a preferred customer hierarchy (with each SA having their own likely preference of a customer of theirs). The SA thinks you might flip it and, hell, you probably will if they don’t take the stickers off (and who could blame you?). However, since this is just theoretical, let’s just say they choose to sell it to you…

The SA now resents you bitterly. Do you know how long a typical non-commissioned SA needs to stand in that f’n store tirelessly talking about model scarcity in order to net $7,500 (your likely tax-free profit on that new white DaytonaC)? And you’re going to make that off a watch flip in 72 hours? Yes, theoretically, so please forgive them a little resentment, games, or lies. We’d all likely do the same.

But back here in the real world, you’ll need to give an SA/AD a good reason to sell to you because they are human with human thinking. They want to gain something. “Ass, grass, or gas,” as they say..”.nobody rides for free.” What do they get from you in return (because a single watch sale is not enough on its own)? More future business? Some other compelling reason? Do you in your business have something in demand? Then offer it for barter and see if there’s interest.

Because whenever I bought cars (too often, even when I don’t count flips) during the snowboard years, the guy at the end of the transaction always had the same question for me…

“Can you get me a discount on [insert Burton, Oakley, or Volcom SKU here]?”

My answer was always the same: “How much discount am I getting on this car?”

You gotta give something to get something. I can’t speak for other cultures, but in American business culture bartering is ALWAYS the tie-breaker. Yes, I sold the in-demand Burton goods to people who paid full retail AND made it worth my while (that’s why I started golfing!). Your AD is bartering with many of their best customers because their best customers made enough money to buy luxury goods by SELLING IN DEMAND INVENTORY OR SERVICES.

Every professional grey here on TRF will take your diamond in trade. Think about that for a moment and then determine what you have, or what your industry has, that makes you as a retail customer more valuable than some other Schmoe.

Because...

Capitalism Is Cronyism And Cronyism Is Capitalism

I think you get the idea here...not much to add.

So, Suddenly Finding Them Became Rather Formulaic, Right?

Indeed, and here are the basic variables to the formula:

1. Don’t be single-mindedly obsessed in any overtly obnoxious way. Nuance is your friend and that retailer brokers in more than just Rolex.
2. Don’t be the same as every other customer they see. Uniquity isn’t such a bad thing.
3. Don’t make your first question or comment about the Daytona/Blue Sky-Dweller/BLRO.
4. Don’t throw all of the nicknames around or be jargonistic. It’s easy to accidentally
become that douchey Rolex guy.
6. Don’t be the expert’s expert. Are you trying to buy a watch or are you humble-
bragging?
7. Don’t squawk about “internet pricing.” Inferring that you’ll be selling into a market that
you seem to know off the top of your head is hardly a quantum leap in logic.

Seriously, think of going into a Rolex AD that sells other things than Rolex and only looking at Rolex as akin to meeting a beautiful woman and focusing on her breasts. Both would tell you the same basic thing, I’m guessing…”get lost, creep!”
Old 24 November 2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

So Common Decency And That Formulaic Approach Engendered Me To ADs Enough To Get A Watch Here And There!

My percentages were okay; I was procuring a few watches here and there and that allowed me to quickly “flip” them when I did. But there was never any sustainability to one-off watch acquisitions...it remained a fun little game with which to kill time but there was literally no money in it. Margins are thin, competition is fierce, and risk is high...even just for one-offs. It was a very fun break-even proposition for me up to that point. But I was even more curious based on what I had learned.

If I could procure watches so often just by adhering to the basic “don’ts” above, it defied logic to think that all or most ADs didn’t have watches protected in the back. I wanted to figure out how to get better at coaxing watches out more often.

Business Is Bundling And Bundling Is Business

In my early Burton years, I was approached each year by various “bundle” buyers. These shady fellows were ALWAYS willing to buy my entire stock of Burton boards at the outset of each season for full retail, no questions asked. My actual customers needed me to have product in store once the snow was flying and Burton would have revoked my dealership for such a move, too...it never made any practical business sense.

However, the same guy could have come into my store at any time with his family and bought four or five boards, no questions asked…and it happened all the time. Some went to the grey market, no doubt. But the system worked well for all involved (except up there at Snowboard Connection in Seattle...some of you may remember them losing Burton over selling too hard to greys).

So I became THAT customer. My buying proposition became, implicitly, “let’s dollar cost average some sh!+ and make it work for both of us.” I knew that, as a retailer, I would have never said “no” to that type of deal. I knew how stressful sitting on that PM Sub (paid cash in advance) in the case must be as a smaller retailer. Hmmm...

So I decided to spend money in a way that didn’t look so blatant.

From the customer’s perspective, I expect my (carefully calculated) wild spending to give me clout in the store at that moment. It should. And it does, almost always. From the retailer’s perspective, I SHOULD supply my most in-demand pieces to really good customers...and their wild spending should also allay my fears about the grey market because 1) they’re going about their business the right way if they are a dirty flipper and 2) going around being suspicious of VIP customers for the mere sake of it is no way to sell high-ticket items and 3) 80% of a good retail business’ revenues come from 20% of its customers...adding a 20% customer is always a welcome thing.

Basically, every AD uses their Rolex dealership and in-demand models for one of two purposes: 1) To sell more Rolex or 2) To sell more of the other things that their store sells.

They’d be a fool not to choose one of these options. When framed in such a way, it becomes rather obvious. It’s funny how often someone here at TRF mentions the magic formula, or comes close to it. But make no mistake, it is:

Go Buy Three Watches

Simply, all of the watches that you want/need are available at ADs for retail if you don’t need to be hit over the head with a rolling pin to deduce what they are asking of you. Rolex is clearly telling all who are willing to read between the lines that if you have the financial means to drop duckets on three watches at once, and you’re savvy enough to have an outlet for the ones you don’t necessarily want to keep (or enough money to hold all three...your “choice”), then welcome to the game!

Rolex has models that are in huge demand and they have models with nearly no demand. Certainly there is a balance to be found for anyone interested. Whether you are acquiring or flipping, the formula is basically the same.

Rolex bundles the entirety of the line of SKUs to ADs. ADs in turn, balance the slow sellers and fast sellers by associating/bundling their sales wherever possible, and we dirty flipping greys profit by being willing to (sometimes quickly and on the fly with some risk) dollar cost average the cost/benefit bundle “opportunities.” It’s a game with real stakes, pure and simple, and any and all are welcome to play.

And that brings us full circle back to a constant theme here at TRF:

Don’t Hate The Player, Hate The Game. :)

I’m glad to answer any questions and don’t even particularly mind any potential negativity toward me or what I’ve been up to. I understand the frustration but I also think that part of that frustration comes from being unwilling or unable to play the game and/or a lack of understanding about what the potential payout is. Questions? Fire away below; I’ve put the proverbial flame-retardant suit on and have thick enough skin. I think...
Old 24 November 2018, 09:46 AM   #5
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
So...40 watches, huh? How many have you kept?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 09:48 AM   #6
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
So...40 watches, huh? How many have you kept?
37 watches. I have four watches currently in "inventory" (only one Rolex) and none currently on my wrist.
Old 24 November 2018, 10:29 AM   #7
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I need the tldr version.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 10:31 AM   #8
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
I need the tldr version.
No problem; that was the very first thing in the thread:

"TL;DR - I’m a dirty rotten flipping flipper and I’ve spent the last year flipping watches like a dirty rat bastard flipping flipper. I’ve learned quite a bit. And, yes, I’d do it again! You can ask me any questions you want and I’ll do my best to answer but I’ve tried to cover the important basics below."
Old 24 November 2018, 10:37 AM   #9
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudchaser View Post
No problem; that was the very first thing in the thread:

"TL;DR - I’m a dirty rotten flipping flipper and I’ve spent the last year flipping watches like a dirty rat bastard flipping flipper. I’ve learned quite a bit. And, yes, I’d do it again! You can ask me any questions you want and I’ll do my best to answer but I’ve tried to cover the important basics below."
How much did it.cost you,? And after all of it is precious metal superior to ss?

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 24 November 2018, 10:41 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You lost me at TL;DR
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 10:42 AM   #11
zengineer
"TRF" Member

You're trying way too hard.

Never complain, never explain.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 10:43 AM   #12
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
How much did it.cost you,? And after all of it is precious metal superior to ss?
Well, in terms of "cost," I have technically made a profit for the year (I'm contributing the proceeds to a new truck, not getting rich in any way at all).

I've kept fairly close to a 10% margin, though have definitely made some regrettable decisions along the way.

As far as precious metal being superior to stainless...

I have no idea, really. I prefer white gold for wearing but don't have the disposable income to sport one for any extended period of time. In terms of market demand, as you likely know, PM is not nearly at the demand level of SS. If I'm selling for profit, give me SS. If I'm wearing every day, give me PM...
Old 24 November 2018, 10:45 AM   #13
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Wow, you are a flipped out flipper from flippersville. You actually do remind me of a friend l knew in LA years ago when l lived and owned a pool hall there, (still there) interesting story you have, thanks for sharing. You are a motivator for sure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 10:45 AM   #14
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, in terms of "cost," I have technically made a profit for the year (I'm contributing the proceeds to a new truck, not getting rich in any way at all).

I've kept fairly close to a 10% margin, though have definitely made some regrettable decisions along the way.

As far as precious metal being superior to stainless...

I have no idea, really. I prefer white gold for wearing but don't have the disposable income to sport one for any extended period of time. In terms of market demand, as you likely know, PM is not nearly at the demand level of SS. If I'm selling for profit, give me SS. If I'm wearing every day, give me PM...
Ty! Enjoy the truck.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 24 November 2018, 10:46 AM   #15
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
You're trying way too hard.

Never complain, never explain.
I received very similar advice prior to posting but threw this out there anyway for those interested.

If by complain you mean thin margins, fierce competition, etc., I hope that's not taken as a complaint. I have no real complaints; I actually enjoy it all.

As for explaining, I couldn't come with a good reason why not to given that I knew there was some interest here (based on how many threads involve the topic). I might have mentioned being the restless type. :)
Old 24 November 2018, 10:48 AM   #16
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Wow, you are a flipped out flipper from flippersville. You actually do remind me of a guy I knew in LA years ago when l owned a pool hall there, (still there) interesting story you have, thanks for sharing. You are a motivator for sure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Well, I only ever played pool in Santa Ana. :) Thanks for reading.
Old 24 November 2018, 10:49 AM   #17
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You lost me at TL;DR
Well, technically, that was that beginning of the second sentence, so you probably made it further than most. :)
Old 24 November 2018, 10:50 AM   #18
DocHolliday
"TRF" Member

Haha this thread is great. I appreciate the honestly and long live capitalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 10:53 AM   #19
calh22a
Banned

Thanks for the write up. How do you move the less desirable pieces in your bundle purchases? Price them competitively hoping you will make up for it with the profit from an SS sale?
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 10:56 AM   #20
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

While I am sure people will complain you are ruining the market, in my view you are simply making it more efficient. I know I can look on here and other places online to see watches that are actually available, what is being asked, and then decide if that price works for me.

In the last 18 months I have bought 8 watches, and moved 5 on. I have not been motivated by profit but by seeing interesting watches I like, for a price I accept, and getting them in a day or two. Some I like and keep, some I have traded on after a while.

I much prefer to see a market price than a fixed price and an undefined wait time. We live in a market economy not a planned economy... If you have the time and motivation to hunt out hard to source items and supply them at market prices then fair play to you
Old 24 November 2018, 10:58 AM   #21
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Haha this thread is great. I appreciate the honestly and long live capitalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for reading!
Old 24 November 2018, 11:02 AM   #22
Filmprolv.com
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014,2531.80
Cool story bro.
Filmprolv.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 11:04 AM   #23
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calh22a View Post
Thanks for the write up. How do you move the less desirable pieces in your bundle purchases? Price them competitively hoping you will make up for it with the profit from an SS sale?
Thanks for reading.

I've used new and existing network contacts to try to find in advance what people are looking for or willing to buy. Ideally, I have a buyer, or one in mind, for a less desirable piece as I'm negotiating on it.

Ideally, though, there's a nice DJ to grab as part of the bundle.

I've joked with people that the best way to dry up the market for greys would be to go buy all the DJs that you kind of like but don't want to pay full MSRP for. The appealing DJs are the keystone to the supply in a way. I try to stay defensive though; some models just aren't worth taking...almost no matter what else is available because of it!
Old 24 November 2018, 11:05 AM   #24
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmprolv.com View Post
Cool story bro.
Hey, thanks, guy!
Old 24 November 2018, 11:05 AM   #25
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I received very similar advice prior to posting but threw this out there anyway for those interested.

If by complain you mean thin margins, fierce competition, etc., I hope that's not taken as a complaint. I have no real complaints; I actually enjoy it all.

As for explaining, I couldn't come with a good reason why not to given that I knew there was some interest here (based on how many threads involve the topic). I might have mentioned being the restless type. :)
Complaining is just the other half of the saying. It was only included for completeness.
Then again, one often masquerades as the other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 11:07 AM   #26
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Complaining is just the other half of the saying. It was only included for completeness.
Then again, one often masquerades as the other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Your handle seems all the more apt.
Old 24 November 2018, 11:16 AM   #27
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Interesting read, thanks for sharing! Where do you find your buyers?
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 11:18 AM   #28
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Love the chase myself, and sheesh, in the end, you had a ball, got to pass the time while you were travelling, had tons of great watches, got to wear some of them, made a little profit to throw towards a truck, and turned a lot of otherwise boring, down time into an awesome game for a year.

Awesome, what's not to like....I enjoyed reading this, and really, sounds like you had a ball!!
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 11:24 AM   #29
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
Interesting read, thanks for sharing! Where do you find your buyers?
Two-fold approach so far.

First, my existing business and social networks have watch people in them. Who knew? Watches are something you don't necessarily know that people are into but then you get into it a little bit and it seems like everyone already is. Amazing how often people I know want first crack at something (in which case it's just a $500 finder's fee).

Second, once someone buys a watch from you and things go well, they tend to want to know what else you have or can get. This actually becomes then the "second crack" before listing publicly. I've met some cool people just by having watches for sale!

Friends and family as first pass with finder's fee (almost zero effort), followed by anyone I've sold a watch to previously (more effort), followed by classified listing (most effort obviously).

Thanks for reading.
Old 24 November 2018, 11:28 AM   #30
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Love the chase myself, and sheesh, in the end, you had a ball, got to pass the time while you were travelling, had tons of great watches, got to wear some of them, made a little profit to throw towards a truck, and turned a lot of otherwise boring, down time into an awesome game for a year.

Awesome, what's not to like....I enjoyed reading this, and really, sounds like you had a ball!!
There was a great deal of enjoyment out of it all. Only real negative is that it's basically a legal con game. I'm not breaking any rules or laws, but I'm not always telling the truth in order to coax watches...

It's easy to justify by saying that the ADs are lying right back to me (and they are), but well, you get the idea...