The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 January 2015, 01:15 PM   #1
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Watch: my wrist candy
A. Lange & Söhne New vs Pre-Owned Conundrum

G’day All

After trying on a couple of A.Lange & Sohne watches from the local AD last week, I have to say that I am head over heels for the brand. The finishing and movements on those watches are just exquisite

And considering these watches require some serious cash (even for entry level ones) I went online to have a look at feedback about the brand and their watches. The main concern for ALS watches was the resale value and namely the fact that you could purchase a pre-own at 45% to 50% off the price of a new one.

It’s not that I can’t afford to pay retail price for the models I am interested in, but I can’t help but think (especially for a +$20k watch purchase) that I am forking out $35k when I can get a pre-own (gently used) at $19k.

Which brings me to the following questions for ALS owners:

1) Did you buy your ALS new or pre-owned?

2) For those who bought new, would you have bought pre-owned instead if you were offered the same model pre-owned and at a substantially cheaper price?

3) What advice would you give to a potential ALS owner - Buy new or used?

Cheers

Gone but not forgotten: Rolex 116233 and 16570
RollieKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2015, 02:19 PM   #2
CharlieMae
Banned

ALS to me are the best watches made in the world. I am coming from PP which most people feel are a notch above, but in my opinion the finish, the quality control, the details...ALS is at the very top of the game.

However, ALS has a terrible resale value whereas PP can occasionally increase or hold fairly level, ALS drops like a rock the moment you take it out of the showroom.

For this reason I would ONLY buy grey market or preowned to take the initial hit off of the table.
CharlieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 09:50 PM   #3
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMae View Post
ALS to me are the best watches made in the world. I am coming from PP which most people feel are a notch above, but in my opinion the finish, the quality control, the details...ALS is at the very top of the game.

However, ALS has a terrible resale value whereas PP can occasionally increase or hold fairly level, ALS drops like a rock the moment you take it out of the showroom.

For this reason I would ONLY buy grey market or preowned to take the initial hit off of the table.
Thanks CharlieMae.

Does this mean if you had a choice between a Patek (say something from the Calatrava line) and a ALS (say something like the Saxonia or 1815) you would pick ALS if we were talking dress watches?

Old 16 January 2015, 08:41 AM   #4
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMae View Post

Agree completely. I've handled many PP and ALS pieces. ALS wins hands down in my book.

I would purchase preowned unless I had a relationship with a dealer to get a significant price reduction.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2015, 02:23 PM   #5
psv
"TRF" Member

Pre-owned is the way to go for ALS if you are value-driven.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2015, 02:29 PM   #6
snhrph
"TRF" Member

You need this Conundrum to get over yours...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.1 KB, 1642 views)
snhrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2015, 09:28 PM   #7
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snhrph View Post
You need this Conundrum to get over yours...
If I had drank that whole bottle I probably would have purchased the watch already no questions asked...

Old 14 January 2015, 02:29 PM   #8
snhrph
"TRF" Member

And it WAAAAAAAAAY cheaper too...
snhrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2015, 03:03 PM   #9
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
But I would not get this pre-owned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snhrph View Post
And it WAAAAAAAAAY cheaper too...
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2015, 03:00 PM   #10
yjfang
"TRF" Member

ALS like most brands experience a fair amount of depreciation in the secondary market (pre-owned vs. list price). I almost always buy pre-owned and have bought my Lange 1 and 1815 Chronograph that way. If you don't have to have brand new like some people, buying pre-owned is the best way to go for almost all brands.
Old 14 January 2015, 09:36 PM   #11
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjfang View Post
ALS like most brands experience a fair amount of depreciation in the secondary market (pre-owned vs. list price). I almost always buy pre-owned and have bought my Lange 1 and 1815 Chronograph that way. If you don't have to have brand new like some people, buying pre-owned is the best way to go for almost all brands.
Yeah...my problem is that I am paranoid that I won't be getting the genuine article if I bought pre-owned or from a grey dealer. All the watches I have owned were purchased brand new from ADs.

I'm the type to "buy and keep" so you would think that buying a ALS new shouldn't be an issue as long as I don't sell. But the poor resale value still bothers me for some reason.

Old 14 January 2015, 10:23 PM   #12
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieKid View Post
Yeah...my problem is that I am paranoid that I won't be getting the genuine article if I bought pre-owned or from a grey dealer. All the watches I have owned were purchased brand new from ADs.

I'm the type to "buy and keep" so you would think that buying a ALS new shouldn't be an issue as long as I don't sell. But the poor resale value still bothers me for some reason.

I'm pretty sure that there are no fakers out there even thinking of trying to copy a lange to any extent which it would look the same - have you seen the finish of the movements? I really wouldn't worry about being passed off a fake. You should, however, price in the cost of a service as this can be a pretty hefty sum on the complication models and takes several months.

Personally I'd only buy pre owned for a lange and I did just that for my 1815 chrono. Besides which, I preferred the older model to the newer one so that was also a consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 01:56 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
I'm pretty sure that there are no fakers out there even thinking of trying to copy a lange to any extent which it would look the same - have you seen the finish of the movements? I really wouldn't worry about being passed off a fake. You should, however, price in the cost of a service as this can be a pretty hefty sum on the complication models and takes several months.

Personally I'd only buy pre owned for a lange and I did just that for my 1815 chrono. Besides which, I preferred the older model to the newer one so that was also a consideration.

Agree the mvmnt cannot be faked so you should have no trouble finding the real thing. Preowned or new with a large discount for sure, as just knowing your watch has dropped 30-40% in value will ruin your ownership experience of such a luxury quality product.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 12:10 AM   #14
herrbarnack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Agree the mvmnt cannot be faked so you should have no trouble finding the real thing. Preowned or new with a large discount for sure, as just knowing your watch has dropped 30-40% in value will ruin your ownership experience of such a luxury quality product.
Greetings, fellow watch connoisseurs!

I am new here and have a couple of questions that I hope others will be able to shed some light on. I am interested in acquiring either a Lange 1 or a Grand Lange 1 and am thinking that buying pre-owned from a reputable source would be a good strategy for my first Lange. This brings to mind the following questions:

Do A. Lange watches depreciate more than other high end brands?

Is 30-40% depreciation between new and pre-owned typical for high end watches across the board?

If you buy a pre-owned Lange and want to have it cleaned, lubricated and adjusted, what does that kind of service cost (for example) for a Lange 1 or Grand Lange 1 from a reputable watchmaker?

Any insight into these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!
herrbarnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2015, 04:11 PM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Buy preowned. I know I would just buy a new strap and call it a day. Take the extra cash and put it towards the next watch
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2015, 06:17 PM   #16
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The only way, if ever, I can afford a Lange to my liking is buying pre-owned.
If I had the funds I would buy new.
Old 14 January 2015, 07:59 PM   #17
cchen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chronometre Bleu
I bought mine new with warranty from a grey market dealer/trader. I had been looking for a used example of this model for several months, but this model is pretty rare in the 2nd hand market.
cchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 08:48 AM   #18
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

pre-owned from a reputable source
tigerpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 12:54 PM   #19
DECR
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AL&S,AP,Rolex
Preloved. Make sure the seller is legit and the watch in good condition.

Or negotiate really hard with your AD.

Best of luck!
DECR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 01:33 PM   #20
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Preowned is always a viable option for any brand, as long as you trust the seller.
It also depends on which reference you're seeking, as some of the hard to get pieces may have to be gotten from an AD.

Good luck in your hunt for your favorite ALS, you won't regret it, it's my favorite brand.
paverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 01:36 PM   #21
limenko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
G’day All

After trying on a couple of A.Lange & Sohne watches from the local AD last week, I have to say that I am head over heels for the brand. The finishing and movements on those watches are just exquisite

And considering these watches require some serious cash (even for entry level ones) I went online to have a look at feedback about the brand and their watches. The main concern for ALS watches was the resale value and namely the fact that you could purchase a pre-own at 45% to 50% off the price of a new one.

It’s not that I can’t afford to pay retail price for the models I am interested in, but I can’t help but think (especially for a +$20k watch purchase) that I am forking out $35k when I can get a pre-own (gently used) at $19k.

Which brings me to the following questions for ALS owners:

1) Did you buy your ALS new or pre-owned?

2) For those who bought new, would you have bought pre-owned instead if you were offered the same model pre-owned and at a substantially cheaper price?

3) What advice would you give to a potential ALS owner - Buy new or used?

Cheers
Hi mate,

I wanted to buy new but the AD (same one I think you are looking at) didn't want to negotiate the price. For mine if I could get 15% off from the AD I would go for it but alas now I am scouring the net to find what I want.

Cheers
limenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 09:06 PM   #22
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limenko View Post
Hi mate,

I wanted to buy new but the AD (same one I think you are looking at) didn't want to negotiate the price. For mine if I could get 15% off from the AD I would go for it but alas now I am scouring the net to find what I want.

Cheers
I take it we are talking about Watches of Switzerland here in Sydney

The sales person I dealt with was quite knowledgeable and friendly, he even let me try on the Zeitwerk in white gold and the version with the striking time. But alas, as you mentioned no leeway in terms of any discount which was really disappointing. Once I tried them on I was hooked.

The funny thing was I was never in the market for a ALS, I was actually looking to pick up a Patek 5119 that day but the local ADs didn't have it in yellow gold.

Looks like I too have to take the internet route if I want to pick up a ALS.

Old 15 January 2015, 09:11 PM   #23
limenko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I take it we are talking about Watches of Switzerland here in Sydney

The sales person I dealt with was quite knowledgeable and friendly, he even let me try on the Zeitwerk in white gold and the version with the striking time. But alas, as you mentioned no leeway in terms of any discount which was really disappointing. Once I tried them on I was hooked.

The funny thing was I was never in the market for a ALS, I was actually looking to pick up a Patek 5119 that day but the local ADs didn't have it in yellow gold.

Looks like I too have to take the internet route if I want to pick up a ALS.

Lol. Yup, WoS. Which model were you interested in? 1815 up/down in WG is the one I was looking at.

Old 15 January 2015, 09:47 PM   #24
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limenko View Post
Lol. Yup, WoS. Which model were you interested in? 1815 up/down in WG is the one I was looking at.

I tried on the Saxonia Automatic in WG and the Lange 1 in RG and YG. I was interested in the Lange 1 but it is just over my $30k budget at $37.3k and although the Saxonia was within budget at around $27k it did nothing for me.

1815 up/down is nice. Is WG the only version they had? And do you mind me asking how much they were offering for it?

Cheers

Old 15 January 2015, 09:50 PM   #25
limenko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I tried on the Saxonia Automatic in WG and the Lange 1 in RG and YG. I was interested in the Lange 1 but it is just over my $30k budget at $37.3k and although the Saxonia was within budget at around $27k it did nothing for me.

1815 up/down is nice. Is WG the only version they had? And do you mind me asking how much they were offering for it?

Cheers

I am only interested in WG and that is the only one they had. List price is $33k, there was a little room to move but it was ~5%.

Old 15 January 2015, 10:04 PM   #26
yjfang
"TRF" Member

ALS has some references that I think are better than their Patek counterparts. One being the 1815 Chronograph. To me, a better overall watch with one of the best manual wind chronograph movements today, and at a lower price point than Patek's 5170.
Old 16 January 2015, 07:13 AM   #27
JD521
"TRF" Member

There's something about a brand new watch...that feeling of being it's first owner. Especially when you're talking about such a high-end name. Was lucky enough to get a really great deal on my first Lange so I went with new.

I suspect that they gave me such a great deal because they knew it wasn't going to be my last Lange and I'd be a repeat customer. They are probably right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-10.jpg (84.7 KB, 1438 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-16.jpg (113.0 KB, 1442 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-17.jpg (111.9 KB, 1439 views)
JD521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 08:29 AM   #28
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD521 View Post
There's something about a brand new watch...that feeling of being it's first owner. Especially when you're talking about such a high-end name. Was lucky enough to get a really great deal on my first Lange so I went with new.

I suspect that they gave me such a great deal because they knew it wasn't going to be my last Lange and I'd be a repeat customer. They are probably right

Nice 1815

Like I mentioned before not getting a good discount on the Lange 1 and knowing that the watch's value drops by almost 50% once I leave the AD's doors is really deterring me from buying this model new.

Old 23 October 2015, 11:28 PM   #29
andyuan7
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS AP VC
I got my dato there

Quote:
Nice 1815

Like I mentioned before not getting a good discount on the Lange 1 and knowing that the watch's value drops by almost 50% once I leave the AD's doors is really deterring me from buying this model new.
The WoW store in Sydney is pretty good, I enjoyed speaking with the store manager Delwyn and he showed me various A.Langes. I am a huge fan and I bought my plantinum dato up/down for myself, under my wife's permission lol.

Personally for high end I prefer new ones, especially for special editions or timeless models. However for Lange 1 or others I might choose second hand if it is just for daily use.

But I wear my dato daily as it is so practical to wear. I love it and ALS does great service no nothing to worry about. Mate if you are getting one 1815 or Lange 1 is always a good start. Choose RG unless you have a hoppy collecting wG or Plantinum
andyuan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2015, 11:32 PM   #30
andyuan7
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS AP VC
I got my dato there

Quote:
Nice 1815

The WoS store in Sydney is pretty good, I enjoyed speaking with the store manager Delwyn and he showed me various A.Langes. I am a huge fan and I bought my plantinum dato up/down for myself, under my wife's permission lol.

Personally for high end I prefer new ones, especially for special editions or timeless models. However for Lange 1 or others I might choose second hand if it is just for daily use.

But I wear my dato daily as it is so practical to wear. I love it and ALS does great service no nothing to worry about. Mate if you are getting one 1815 or Lange 1 is always a good start. Choose RG unless you have a hoppy collecting wG or Plantinum
andyuan7 is offline   Reply With Quote