The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 4 January 2018, 07:26 AM   #211
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Due diligence is prudent on both sides because scams run both directions. To think different is very naive.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 08:16 AM   #212
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Due diligence is prudent on both sides because scams run both directions. To think different is very naive.

Exactly 100% this.

Outside of very few here I don’t know that I would wire anyone money for a watch other than my AD. And if I were selling a high dollar watch i would accept PayPal from only those I thoroughly vetted. I would trade or sell to a TS or my AD for less money before I would risk taking PayPal from a stranger on Ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 10:37 AM   #213
scoot4nat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
The term is “buyer beware” not seller beware. If the seller gets scammed or loses money it is a cost of doing business. He can then pass that on to other buyers as higher prices if he chooses to do so. The buyer has no similar remedy. Thus it behooves a buyer to do more due diligence than a seller might.
Not sure the term really matters. Also assumes the buyer is in a position to sell other pieces to recoup losses. Logics doesn't stand up to the test in afraid. As a seller I would expect due diligence.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
scoot4nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 01:08 PM   #214
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Awful situation and hope it can be solved with restitution to the buyers who were scammed.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 08:47 PM   #215
bonatto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstore View Post
When selling or buying I find a red flag is when someone is a multi year TRF member with few posts as opposed to a pledge member who is engaged and contributes to the sites expenses. Makes me wonder why they post so infrequently and why they don't see the value in supporting the site that provides them a service. I have one suggestion for the classified section : only pledge members with a minimum of 100 posts get access to the buy and sell area. Might save everyone some grief
As one of these account holders I'd like to chime in. I don't post regularly because I don't feel that I often have anything overtly constructive to add, and when I do, I do. Still, I hold accounts by the same name elsewhere, with a similar post count.

What did happen recently was someone trying to use my name to scam others and there was a thread that clarified what was happening.

I have no problems with identifying myself as a buyer or seller, with ID or whatever.

I appreciate there may be *phantom* legacy accounts that are targeted for hacks or used by chancers, but blanket suggestion to avoid sounds unfair and offers false security if you assume that high post count users do not go rogue.

Due diligence is your only risk mitigator, there is no such thing as 100%, nobody will take better care of your money than you will, so ask the right questions and send the right emails until you feel comfortable.

Deals on eBay, TZ, watchuseek, TRF, etc over ten years well into 6 figures, thankfully no scams.

Stay safe.
bonatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 06:15 AM   #216
Mb8780
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Curious, if you don't mind my asking, but how were you able to get a partial refund of your money? I assumed it would have been refunded in full or not at all. Sadly, most often the later.

Was the scammer able to make a partial restitution and off the hook for the rest?

Basically the bank took all that was available in his account. What I was told anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mb8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 09:12 AM   #217
zacharykim
"TRF" Member

Just adding my experience here as well.

I was scammed out of a large sum of money a few months ago for a 114060 ND Sub. Very convincing seller on Timezone. Had hundred's of post (albeit all within a few days) and numerous email references. Sounds like my story is similar to OP's story in that the funds were wired and then the excuses started rolling in.

Seller even called me a few times to "ease" my nerves.

Eventually, he stopped responding to me. I've filed a police report and a report with the FBI, but assuming my case is "low priority", I don't expect a resolution.

After reading this thread, I've definitely picked up some good tips on verifying the seller.

I think going forward, unless I'm buying from one of the few trusted sellers on this forum, it's worth just buying a plane ticket and meeting the seller in person.
zacharykim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 09:22 AM   #218
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot4nat View Post
Not sure the term really matters. Also assumes the buyer is in a position to sell other pieces to recoup losses. Logics doesn't stand up to the test in afraid. As a seller I would expect due diligence.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Just to clarify the assumption is that the SELLER can recoup losses nut the buyer. Both should do due diligence but since the seller is the “commercial” business end of the transaction he can recoup thru higher prices that he sets. If the buyer try’s to recoup thru buying cheaper he does not control the outcome. Anyway its only hypothetical. The real point is exercise care and prudence.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote