The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 July 2018, 05:47 PM   #61
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Thanks! The ribs are double wrapped in HD foil and resting in the cooler for an hour or so until we’re ready for dinner.
You bring the ribs and I’ll smoke the butt!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 05:49 PM   #62
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmacken View Post
Just got a new table setup and couldn’t help but want to show it off!

Happy 4th to all!
Dang, that is a drool worthy setup ya got there!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 8 July 2018, 03:23 AM   #63
rph08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
Any Pics of this concoction?
I like using this for burgers, because I don't have to worry about flame-ups or scorching. This positions the grilling surface just slightly lower than the bottom part of the BGE.

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 04:15 AM   #64
austinp
"TRF" Member

My gas grill fell apart 2 yrs ago and i haven't missed it. BGE only. I grill a couple times a week and do long smokes about once a month.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 05:32 AM   #65
rph08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
My gas grill fell apart 2 yrs ago and i haven't missed it. BGE only. I grill a couple times a week and do long smokes about once a month.
Quite possibly one of the best things that's ever happened to you!

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 06:54 AM   #66
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph08 View Post
I like using this for burgers, because I don't have to worry about flame-ups or scorching. This positions the grilling surface just slightly lower than the bottom part of the BGE.
Thanks for pics! Very smart!
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 09:02 AM   #67
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Downside to our mountain condo is that we are limited to a gas grill. I don’t know how that is going to work when we are living up there for extended periods in a few years.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 8 July 2018, 09:23 AM   #68
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph08 View Post
Quite possibly one of the best things that's ever happened to you!
No doubt
Old 8 July 2018, 09:25 AM   #69
F308gt4
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR Modificata
I’ve had a large Big Green Egg for over 10 years. I love it. I too built my own table, though I like the green one posted above.

If I were in the market for one now:

1) I would definitely get the XL size. I don’t do long cooks that often, and when I do, I like to pack in as much meat as possible. I vacuum seal what I don’t eat that day, which makes for some nice quick meals when needed. Having the extra grill space that the XL gives you would be handy. Also handy when you are cooking for a large crowd.

2) I would look hard at the new Kamado Joes. Look to be just as well built, and some nice features like an ash try and new firebox design.

I got rid of my gas grill a few years ago, since it was never used. I don’t miss it. You really can’t beat the big green egg for both grilling and barbecue.

On edit: I’ve also done the long bolts setup to use for multiple grill levels. Helps when cooking a lot of meat, but not quite as nice as having the larger size grilling area.

For convenience, I have a kick-ash charcoal basket, which makes it easier to empty out the grill. Just lift the basket out, and shake over a trash can. Adds a little bit of convenience to ash cleanup process. I probably should just use a shop vac, but don’t have an easily accessible outlet near my big green egg.
F308gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 12:20 PM   #70
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Downside to our mountain condo is that we are limited to a gas grill. I don’t know how that is going to work when we are living up there for extended periods in a few years.

Sounds like time to look for s new place. I grill so much I don’t think I could live with those limitations, although I have friends who live in condos that won’t even allow a gas grill.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 01:44 AM   #71
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Love my green egg! Doing a pork shoulder today for tacos. I was going to wear the Speedy to keep track of time, but I’ve been wearing this one a lot lately and can’t seem to take it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 02:50 PM   #72
PackPride
"TRF" Member

Had one for around 10 years- get the XL size. If you buy one get an adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store instead of the platesetter.

Very versatile grill/smoker/etc.
PackPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 03:12 PM   #73
-lenny-

Watch: 👑
So, I made some pork ribs today...

Decided to try my hand at pecan pie as well...

-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 10:25 PM   #74
corysontag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only one owned
I would also recommend whatever size you were looking at for the egg get a size up , I got my first one a small as a birthday gift from the family then moved and got a medium one and when my new house was built went with the large and finally feel
It’s the right size for justbme and my son. Finally accessories are amazing and if you live in Georgia and go to eggtober fest you can buy the eggs used there for a discount or near cumming ga there is a butcher shop that usually runs the cl with a lot of accessories on sale as well
corysontag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 01:32 AM   #75
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
So, I made some pork ribs today...

Decided to try my hand at pecan pie as well...

-lenny-
I'm smiling... pecan pie, too? Terrific!

DM

BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 05:42 AM   #76
-lenny-

Watch: 👑
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post

-lenny-
I'm smiling... pecan pie, too? Terrific!

DM

Thanks! We stopped at a road side stand and bought a pound of fresh pecans, this was the only way to use them! (In my mind lol.)
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 05:54 AM   #77
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
Thanks! We stopped at a road side stand and bought a pound of fresh pecans, this was the only way to use them! (In my mind lol.)
Fantastic. Love it!

DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 03:22 PM   #78
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Went with a pellet smoker instead, Memphis Grills. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 09:52 AM   #79
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 09:58 AM   #80
PackPride
"TRF" Member

Anyone from here on the bge forum?
PackPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 01:17 AM   #81
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Thread revival time

So I've had a BGE for several years and I just love cooking on this thing. Steaks are easy, but I've always found dialing in the longer slow and low cooks to be challenging. In fact, I had a few epic failures in a row with chicken wings and a pork shoulder. The shoulder was an overnighter and when I went to bed I had the Egg dialed in at 225F, only to wake up and find it at 300F

As an early Father's Day gift my wife got me a Flame Boss 400. I'm only 90 minutes into my first official cook and I have to say I LOVE this thing. It's a small device containing a variable speed fan, inputs for 2 thermometers (one for grill temp, one for meat temp), and electronics that allow it to connect to your local Wifi network. Mechanically, it attaches via an adapter to the air intake on the bottom of the grill. There's a separate app that lets you set desired cook temp and continuously records the output from the thermometers. The fan pushes air to keep the cook temp steady. You can then set phone notifications for when your meat reaches a certain internal temperature. There's an additional setting to drop the cook temperature to a warming level so that your meat doesn't overcook when it reaches optimal temperature.

The proof is in the pudding of course, will post a final pic when complete. I botched the initial part of the cook by leaving the chimney too far open, so the temp was 5-10F too high until I shut it down some more. Now the fan is just puffing as needed to keep it at a steady 225F.

Flame Boss 400 by uscmatt99, on Flickr

uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 03:51 AM   #82
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I just received a BBQ Guru Ultra Q controller to replace an older Cyber Q model which was not working well with my Orbi home WiFi. The good folks at BBQ Guru made me a hell of a deal on the upgrade in lieu of having to spend 1-2 hours troubleshooting my home internet settings. Great customer service.

After playing with the UltraQ setup, I am very happy with its ease of use. As I have used their earlier product for years, I am pretty confident on the cook results. I hope to do a brisket this week and will post results.

On another note, my wife has ordered a Kamado Joe Junior for father’s Day that will complement my large BGE for tasks such as cooking burgers and searing my steaks after the sous vide treatment.

Now I have to design and build a cooking station to hold these units and their related accessories.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 14 June 2020, 04:06 AM   #83
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I just received a BBQ Guru Ultra Q controller to replace an older Cyber Q model which was not working well with my Orbi home WiFi. The good folks at BBQ Guru made me a hell of a deal on the upgrade in lieu of having to spend 1-2 hours troubleshooting my home internet settings. Great customer service.

After playing with the UltraQ setup, I am very happy with its ease of use. As I have used their earlier product for years, I am pretty confident on the cook results. I hope to do a brisket this week and will post results.

On another note, my wife has ordered a Kamado Joe Junior for father’s Day that will complement my large BGE for tasks such as cooking burgers and searing my steaks after the sous vide treatment.

Now I have to design and build a cooking station to hold these units and their related accessories.
Jason, that's great service, I'm sure you'll love the upgraded product. The DigiQ was the other controller I was considering. These things are amazing

A couple pics from the first go on the Flame Boss.

Completed ribs by uscmatt99, on Flickr

Old 14 June 2020, 06:57 AM   #84
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Thread revival time

So I've had a BGE for several years and I just love cooking on this thing. Steaks are easy, but I've always found dialing in the longer slow and low cooks to be challenging. In fact, I had a few epic failures in a row with chicken wings and a pork shoulder. The shoulder was an overnighter and when I went to bed I had the Egg dialed in at 225F, only to wake up and find it at 300F

As an early Father's Day gift my wife got me a Flame Boss 400. I'm only 90 minutes into my first official cook and I have to say I LOVE this thing. It's a small device containing a variable speed fan, inputs for 2 thermometers (one for grill temp, one for meat temp), and electronics that allow it to connect to your local Wifi network. Mechanically, it attaches via an adapter to the air intake on the bottom of the grill. There's a separate app that lets you set desired cook temp and continuously records the output from the thermometers. The fan pushes air to keep the cook temp steady. You can then set phone notifications for when your meat reaches a certain internal temperature. There's an additional setting to drop the cook temperature to a warming level so that your meat doesn't overcook when it reaches optimal temperature.

The proof is in the pudding of course, will post a final pic when complete. I botched the initial part of the cook by leaving the chimney too far open, so the temp was 5-10F too high until I shut it down some more. Now the fan is just puffing as needed to keep it at a steady 225F.

I have one of the old FB200 models and it’s been rock solid. I love the variable speed fan and it does an amazing job on holding at the desired set point temp for long cooks and it can be set to send you a text when you hit your finish temperature. Here’s a graph of the last pork butts I did.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 07:11 AM   #85
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Thread revival time

I’ve been looking at the Flamboss. How open do you set the top vent? Do they have recommended openings for different desired temps?

Old 14 June 2020, 08:57 AM   #86
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
I’ve been looking at the Flamboss. How open do you set the top vent? Do they have recommended openings for different desired temps?

So, for the first part of the cook I had the larger hole completely closed, and the smaller oval holes were about half exposed. That was too much airflow for 225F. I then closed them down to about 2mm slivers, and it was perfect. I'd expect this to vary based on the size and shape of the coals you're starting with, and how well you clean out the ash from prior cooks. The fan was running with intermittent puffs of 5-15% of the max fan speed as far as I could tell from the reporting. I had it plugged into an outlet, but next time I'll try using one of those jumpstart portable batteries, which should have adequate juice to run the fan for hours.