The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 May 2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Charles Ford
"TRF" Member

Watch: 67' Zodiac Seawolf
Monta Triumph

Monta is a Micro Brand that just started up about three years ago. The owner of the company is also the owner of Everest Straps, who make high end leather and rubber straps for Rolex and Tudor. Company is out of St. Louis but they designed the watches and had them made in Switzerland.

Their 1st watch was a diver, a high end diver with top notch fit finish and an Eterna 3909 movement. That watch got such rave reviews they followed up with this field watch, the Triumph.

Triumph has landed and all I can say is……….HOLY Smokes…it’s even better then I expected! Photos don't do it justice at all!

$1,550 delivered

Case: 38.5mm

Case Height: 9mm

Lug to Lug: 47mm

Lug Width: 20mm

Sappphire Crystal

With 7 under layers AR

Hands and Markers Rhodiun plated

Screw down crown with 150m WR

Movement Top Grade Sellita SW300 (their version of the ETA 2892-a2) regulated to +-5 seconds a day accuracy

Even after watching every Youtube review on this watch…. Including the latest one from Maverick (aka Mav’s Dad) which he proclaimed it to be the “Best Micro-Brand Watch EVER!” and announced it as his pick of the 2018 “Watch of the Year”. I still wasn’t expected to be blown away by this watch as I am.

1st off, I was holding off putting my Oris 65 up on the for sale forum, because it may have been to small on the wrist then I would like, being a 38.5mm case size.

The Oris is now up on the block, this watch has a lot more wrist presence then my Sinn 556i ever had. Has as much wrist presence as Rolex Explorer 39mm or a newer Datejust.

2nd I was kind of skeptical that the Blue dial maybe a little “Too Blue” and not be as legible or versatile looking as the black dial version. Wrong again, in indoor lighting the dial goes to a deep Navy Blue and really isn’t that discernble a being blue, highly legible, it isn’t until you get outdoors into direct Sun Light does it really pop!

Fit and finish? On par with my Breitling, and more then a little better then my Rolex 16610 Sub.

Bracelet, fits right out of the box with the micro adjustment set to the tightest fit, watch still is slightly looser then I want, may try taking out a link and then toying with the micro-adjustments again.

Bracelet is outstanding, articulating links, all corners and edges beveled and polished, Finish on the bracelet is buttery smooth, rivals my Breitling which are known to have the best bracelets on the market.

The only issue I have had with this watch is the winding of the crown, which seems to kind of stuck up in places when hand winding. Called Justin the owner of Monta and he said to try it ouf for a few days and if there was real problem send it back they have a two year warranty.

I could definitely see this as a daily wearer or “One” watch choice if I was so inclined.

Will report on accuracy tomorrow this time.

Once again, this watch blows me away, competes very well with much higher brands such as Rolex and Omega, which main differences are in name cache and in house movements. This is an $1,500 watch batting very well in the $3,500 to $4,000 leagues.

Side by side with my Breitling 43mm Chronograph.

Charles Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 09:52 PM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
very nice. like the dial.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 12:36 AM   #3
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
I have owned the grey dial version since December and I still love it. Congrats on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monta5.JPG (104.7 KB, 309 views)
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 11:12 AM   #4
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Nice review, may be the wording but Everest is not OEM for Rolex
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2018, 04:43 PM   #5
Charles Ford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
Nice review, may be the wording but Everest is not OEM for Rolex
Never said they were, but made a slip up in not saying makes straps for Rolex's instead of makes straps for Rolex.

Their straps are very nice, but are not cheap, $250. a pop!
Old 16 May 2018, 04:45 PM   #6
Charles Ford
"TRF" Member

Accuracy report................it is consistently running +1 to +2 a day.
Old 17 May 2018, 02:22 AM   #7
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Great looking watch. Great write up. Thank you for sharing.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 04:48 PM   #8
Charles Ford
"TRF" Member

I have had this watch for almost three weeks now and it is still running at +1 seconds a day.
Old 2 July 2018, 08:23 AM   #9
NyCSnEaK
"TRF" Member

I picked up one these, a little while ago. A lot better than I had initially thought. For the price, it’s top notch in all aspects imo. Looks to be a keeper like my Farer GMT. I never would have thought a micro brand could produce a watch of this caliber. Great job Monta.
NyCSnEaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 02:23 PM   #10
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
Good review, thanks! I picked up the silver (grey) dial version a couple of months ago and have been very pleased with the fit, finish and accuracy. I love the brushed bezel and transparent case back. The movement is not finished to the degree $5K+ models are, but that's not important to me. I have mine on the black rubber strap.

I'm looking forward to receiving my Oceanking model in a week or so, and will provide my initial thoughts then.
Vinyasa is offline   Reply With Quote