The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 November 2012, 01:06 PM   #1
nrk
"TRF" Member

Help authenticating a Tudor Snowflake (7021)

Hi all, I've been looking for a blue snowflake for a while. I'm not really a vintage guy, and I'd rather have functional lume than patina. I've found something that appears authentic to my untrained eye, but was hoping that some of the experts could chime in and let me know if there's anything obviously wrong with the watch. The one thing that I've noticed is that the date wheel isn't the roulette style, but the 6 is closed. I'm not sure if these were ever available with an all black date wheel, or if this is something that would have been changed out at some point. The hands, dial, and bezel appear to be service luminova parts. I'm told that's what they are, and it's actually my preference as long as they're authentic. I'm waiting on pictures of the middle case between the lugs. Here are the pictures I've received so far:

DSC00952.jpg

DSC00956.jpg

DSC00959.jpg

DSC00964.jpg

DSC00972.jpg
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2012, 01:09 PM   #2
nrk
"TRF" Member

More pictures:

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00978.jpg

SAM_0166.jpg

I've spent loads of time reading through different posts on Snowflakes, and really want one. The quality of some of the fakes out there makes me a little gunshy though. I appreciate the time taken to look/advise on this particular watch. Thanks very much.

Nicholas
Old 19 November 2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Lgear080
Banned

i'd pass... over polished and mismatched bracelet. not to mention the
nos look dial and hands are suspect.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2012, 04:02 PM   #4
drainaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to tell
Nicholas,

I'm proud owner of 2 Snowies, black and blue. What follows is based on the 2 I own. I am far from being a Snowie expert (or Rolex expert, or watch expert for that).

Your watch looks too crisp, from a dial and hands point of view. I've seen my share of Snowies and dial and lume wear very differently from what you show here. Once you have seen it, they all more or less look the same, but not as in your pics. Dial and hands on your watch might be legit replacement, as you state or might be not. I have never seen service dials on Snowies. I guess their owners took less good care of them than owners of Rolexes, hence what one sees in the market.

Date wheel on this model should be silver (not roulette), CLOSED 6s and 9s.

Case and crown look like the real McCoy. I'm surprised to see a European riveted bracelet on this one. This watch should come with a folded 7836 Rolex Bracelet with Rolex logo on buckle. It's unusual to see it on a riveted bracelet, even more so when those, if legit, command a very nice premium in the market if sold separately. Pictures of the inner part of the deployed buckle would help assess, but it's never fool proof.

I understand you don't like patina, so this might be tempting to you. If you are buying from a bomb-proff source, it's worth considering. Else, I'd pass.
drainaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2012, 07:59 PM   #5
nrk
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. I passed on the watch. The hunt continues...
Old 20 November 2012, 04:36 AM   #6
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
the dial should be bubbling. and a folded band. 9315 or 7836. you did well to skip it.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Joet
"TRF" Member

I have seen one two many snowflake reps and rep dials. This is fishy. Good pass.
Joet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2012, 02:03 PM   #8
John in MA
"TRF" Member

That is a 100% service dial and hands ImO. How do I know? I've owned 2 9411's with them. The blue on the service dials is a brighter royal blue as opposed to the grey blue of the originals. Service dials also all say T Swiss made T even though they are luminova. Compare the fonts of yours with the ones I owned. One of mine was serviced at the Melbourne RSC. The other at Sydney RSC. I had the paperwork for both that showed the dial replacements.

Ive never seen a 7021 with silver date wheels. Only roulette or white. 9411's, 76100's, and early 79090's did come with silver date wheels.

7021's did come with he 7206 which this looks to have. 7928's, 7016's and 7021's came with the rivet. 9401, 9411 could be had with a 9315 or a US C&I rivet. Late 7016 and 7021's also probably could have the 9315.

The 7836 was not standard issue for a sub iirc. Whichever bracelets came standard on Rolex subs were offered on the Tudor subs.

Yes the case is polished but an ok watch overall from the pics.

Please see attached for reference to the two blue snowflake I owned with service dial and hands.

How To: Remove a Tudor Pelagos Endlink in 60 Seconds or Less
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2012, 03:15 PM   #9
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I was gonna say service dial too. If the price is right I wouldn't mind a service dial