The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: What should I get?
Blancpain "Fifty Fathoms"? 28 17.95%
SD? 72 46.15%
DJ 116234? 28 17.95%
Omega SMP 300. DJ later? 5 3.21%
Blancpain + Daytona + DJ? 23 14.74%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 March 2008, 11:09 PM   #1
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Bye Bye!

SS GMT IIc!

I will sell it on Thursday for a good price. It never grew on me.

Now I have some options for a successor to complement my SS Daytona (that I have decided NOT to flip).

So I will make a poll out of this. Just to hear YOUR opinions that I then might follow.

Should I save for the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms??

Beautiful watch and it's got a very nice lume!

(Pics from a German watch forum)

Or should I "just" get an SD?

(My pic)

Or a DJ 116234 like the one "buz-lh" has?

(Pic by "buz-lh").

Or forget the SD and get an Omega SMP 300 like this one before it's discontinued? One like C.J.'s. And then get a DJ later?

(Pic by C.J.)

Or I could go 45-40-36? This will involve more saving, but is a very cool combo, IMHO:

45 mm: The tough one:

(Pic from an ended eBay listing)

40 mm: The sporty/dressy one:

(My pic)

36 mm: The dressy one:

(Pic by buz-lh).

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:10 PM   #2
Thani
Banned

Watch: Milgauss 116400 GV
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Keeeeeeeep the GMT
Thani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Bo,
From what I've read about your previous comments I'd say the SD and DJ.
Good luck,
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:14 PM   #4
Stef_Call

Watch: SS Daytona,GMT IIc
Hi Bo. Sorry the GMT has to go... But that Whitebread is such a nice watch ;) !!! I think the DJ overlaps with the Daytona from a dressy sense. For me the decision would be the Fifty Fathoms !!

"edit: Oh and keep your Daytona of course :)"

Good Luck !!!
Stef_Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:29 PM   #5
MAC4130
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Bo, I know you miss that SD too much! So the logical or since it's a desition made with the heart (as you miss it so much) ilogical solution should be the SD.... but Rolex will keep on doing the SD, so it is a matter of time you can grab another SD, who knows maybe you whant to wait till basel? see if it comes out changed and decide wheter you get the current one or the updated version... or Go with the Blancpain and keep on saving for that SD!
So bottom line eventually you will get That SD, do you whant it now or do you want it latter???
If I was in you shoes I will wait and get the SD I like most (if they somehow update the SD this year), but it would be the SD!, those other wathces I would have on my todo lits but only after getting the SD!!!

Now go get it!!!!
Rolex Daytona 116500LN Black, Rolex Daytona 116500LN White, Rolex TT GMTIIC, Panerai 88, Cartier Santos TT Auto, Omega Seamaster GMT Bond Co-axial, Omega Constellation SS Auto, Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono Tachy Auto
MAC4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:32 PM   #6
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

I really like the Blancpain, but I am biased whether I should get it not for various reasons:

1) There are NO official agents for Blancpain watches in Denmark, but an AD who used to sell Blancpain watches in Denmark until the mid 1980ies has agreed to order one home for me. BUT: I have to pay in advance, meaning that I cannot just have it ordered home for me to look at. When it arrives, I OWN it! If I don't like the watch when I see it in real life, basically I am stuck with it! He is willing to give me a discount, though.

2) The Blancpain comes with a canvas lined strap. I wonder how practical that is when you want to wash the watch?? Canvas soaks moisture, I would say. There will be a rubber strap availible (OEM) for the Blancpain FF, but it is still not introduced

3) I cannot easily get a plain rubber strap for it since Blancpain, like Cartier, has made sure that customers are forced to buy an OEM strap because it's 23 mm in width and not 20, 22 etc.

4) I don't really like the AD who is going to order the Blancpain. I have previously bought an IWC Doppelchronograph from this AD, and the IWC went 10 secs. fast a day. I wanted to have it regulated, but he refused to do it! He told me that IWC standards allowed watches to go up to 10 secs. fast, so he wouldn't even be bothered with just TRYING to adjust it. I am a bit afraid he will tell me the same if my Blancpain turns out to go too fast or too slow.

Old 10 March 2008, 11:32 PM   #7
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
Well, I'm kind of partial to the FF and the DJ. I love the SD and think it is an icon, but you have had one or two and they apparently did not hold the personal appeal you wished for over time, so I'd guess that may happen again one day. But IMHO that illuminated bezel ring is unique these days, and the rest of the FF is so well executed. One question, though: is your wrist the proper size for such a large watch? My 40mm Sub is the absolute maximum for my small wrists.

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:39 PM   #8
Stef_Call

Watch: SS Daytona,GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
I really like the Blancpain, but I am biased whether I should get it not for various reasons:

1) There are NO official agents for Blancpain watches in Denmark, but an AD who used to sell Blancpain watches in Denmark until the mid 1980ies has agreed to order one home for me. BUT: I have to pay in advance, meaning that I cannot just have it ordered home for me to look at. When it arrives, I OWN it! He is willing to give me a discount, though.

2) The Blancpain comes with a canvas lined strap. I wonder how practical that is when you want to wash the watch?? Canvas soaks moisture, I would say. There will be a rubber strap availible (OEM) for the Blancpain FF, but it is still not introduced

3) I cannot easily get a plain rubber strap for it since Blancpain, like Cartier, has made sure that customers are forced to buy an OEM strap because it's 23 mm in width and not 20, 22 etc.

4) I don't really like the AD who is going to order the Blancpain. I have previously bought an IWC Doppelchronograph from this AD, and the IWC went 10 secs. fast a day. I wanted to have it regulated, but he resused to do it! He told me that IWC standards allowed watches to go up to 10 secs. fast, so he wouldn't even be bothered with just TRYING to adjust it. I am a bit afraid he will tell me the same if my Blancpain turns out to go too fast or too slow.
Wow. Can really understand why you would think twice.. That AD sounds like a real "ASS". I wouldnt want to give him my money either. There is no Blancpain AD in Ireland. I would really like to try one on. Buying before having the chance to touch and feel makes it a real shot in the dark.

How do the fifty fathoms stand up from a resale point of view ?? Just in case you consider flipping
Stef_Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:40 PM   #9
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

I have a 7 ½ " wrist, Jamie.

The SS Daytona watch case does not fill out my wrist lengthwise. The IWC Doppelchrono I owned was 42 mm as far as I remember, but looked very big due to a thick case. I have tried on PAM's at 44 mm that looked great on my wrist.

Old 10 March 2008, 11:40 PM   #10
karmatp
"TRF" Member

They are all great watches but the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms is one that if I could afford, I would own. I will probably never even see one in person, I see the others in my dresser drawer and out in the wild often. So my vote is for the FF, it is just a amazing timepiece, but you know what will make you happy, it's your wrist after all.
karmatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:42 PM   #11
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
The SD Bo She's your long lost love
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:43 PM   #12
Lisa
"TRF" Member

The Blancpain look awfully big in that wrist shot. My hubby just bought a Seadweller so he's all over those like a duck on a junebug. My favorite of your pictures is the Datejust, of course!
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:44 PM   #13
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef_Call View Post
(...)(How do the fifty fathoms stand up from a resale point of view ?? Just in case you consider flipping
Good question, and I have actually looked into that. A used but LNIB FF sold on eBay yesterday for US $ 8,800.

MSRP is 11,000.

I can get it cheaper, though, since I have dealt with the AD before (IWC).

Oh, another thing (irrational, I know!) is that Blancpain belongs to the Swatch Group! Besides that, Blancpain can state 1,000 times that the FF has an in-house movt. It DOESN'T. It as a modified Fr. Piguet movt. (Cal. 13RO).

Old 10 March 2008, 11:45 PM   #14
seantk
"TRF" Member

As much as you lament for a Sea Dweller the choice should be quite obvious

Sean
Old 10 March 2008, 11:48 PM   #15
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Bo, I vote for the DJ.(obviously) Good luck with your decision.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:51 PM   #16
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Bo,if my memory serves me well,you lusting for DJ for a long time.And now you`ll have a chance to get it!
I think that you should go for that quintessential Rolex and keep the rest of the money for whatever you want!
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:51 PM   #17
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
Quote:
I have a 7 ½ " wrist, Jamie.

The SS Daytona watch case does not fill out my wrist lengthwise. The IWC Doppelchrono I owned was 42 mm as far as I remember, but looked very big due to a thick case. I have tried on PAM's at 44 mm that looked great on my wrist.
It should look great, IMHO! It doesn't seem too thick, either, so that's a plus with sleeves. Oh, wow, what a watch!

I wouldn't deal with an AD I didn't like. When spending that kind of money, I expect to be treated as well as I try to treat others!

Does Blancpain make a steel bracelet for that one? Too bad if they don't, the design and finish on the watch are fabulous.

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:57 PM   #18
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
For you, Bo, I would say the DJ. If you don't have issues w/the size, I think it suits your personality better than a 'tool' or 'sports' watch. Just a very long distance guess but... I fear the 'outdoorsman, diver or adventurer' lore of the others will wear thin with you, even if it is a Blancpain. The DJ has more artfully balanced, subtle appointments that imbue elegance and sophistication. It also compliments your Daytona as well... If you can resist viewing a DJ as too "pedestrian", it's an undeniably beautiful watch. JMHO as usual...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 11:58 PM   #19
pnefan
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona Black
Bo,

The FF is a stunning watch & is on my "Want one" list.

The Blancpain dealer near me is advertising a new FF on a metal band for £4840 (about 6100 euros)

It looks like it has a SS Bezel, I think the one in your post is ceramic?

I like both & would be happy with either

Dan
pnefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2008, 12:03 AM   #20
MAC4130
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:

1) There are NO official agents for Blancpain watches in Denmark, but an AD who used to sell Blancpain watches in Denmark until the mid 1980ies has agreed to order one home for me. BUT: I have to pay in advance, meaning that I cannot just have it ordered home for me to look at. When it arrives, I OWN it! If I don't like the watch when I see it in real life, basically I am stuck with it! He is willing to give me a discount, though.

4) I don't really like the AD who is going to order the Blancpain. I have previously bought an IWC Doppelchronograph from this AD, and the IWC went 10 secs. fast a day. I wanted to have it regulated, but he refused to do it! He told me that IWC standards allowed watches to go up to 10 secs. fast, so he wouldn't even be bothered with just TRYING to adjust it. I am a bit afraid he will tell me the same if my Blancpain turns out to go too fast or too slow.

Bo, Based on this info I think it is clear you should not buy the Blancpain! at least not from this AD and not until you actually see and try the watch!
I agree with Lisa the wrist pic does not look great... I have seen thi watch in photos and always looked nice to me but from that shot I do not like it so much!
I have read that the F. Piguet Movt. are very good! So no worries with quality!
Bo, Get the SD!!!!!
Rolex Daytona 116500LN Black, Rolex Daytona 116500LN White, Rolex TT GMTIIC, Panerai 88, Cartier Santos TT Auto, Omega Seamaster GMT Bond Co-axial, Omega Constellation SS Auto, Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono Tachy Auto
MAC4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2008, 12:29 AM   #21
watchlady
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS/RG Datejust
Based on what you are saying it seems so me you think you like the Blancpain, but are not sure and it's quite a gamble for you. Though you don't seem that enthusiastic about any other of your choices.

Personally I like the DJ and the SD.
Omegas are nice but I like them only for something I can't get in a Rolex so I'd pick the SD over the Seamaster.
I think the Bezel and the FF looks too big for that watch.

I know this is probably silly but, have you considered a Milgauss or Panerai?
I just picked those based on little things I picked up from the thread.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose!
Old 11 March 2008, 12:29 AM   #22
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:

AMAZING WATCH!!! AWESOME LUME!!!
FF is GREAT Diver watch!!!
So sorry to hear you want to sell your GMT II-C, but for replacement I think FF is a GREAT choice!!! I know...I know FF is not a Rolex, but HEY!!! It's a legend watch!!! All I knew (Don't shoot me if I'm wrong...) FF is the first diver watch with that famous bezel. They made before Rolex did with Turn-O-Graph model. So Bo...GO FOR IT!!! Or maybe you can back with SD again.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2008, 12:35 AM   #23
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnefan View Post
(..)
It looks like it has a SS Bezel, I think the one in your post is ceramic?
(...)

Dan
No, the bezel is made of domed sapphire crystal with the numbers left clear and having lume underneath them.

Old 11 March 2008, 12:38 AM   #24
Texsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSGMTc
I vote for the SD! It's what you have been lusting over for so long.
Wife's SS WG MOP Ladies DJ Z series
Texsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2008, 12:39 AM   #25
Rudy1000
"TRF" Member

Bo,

I'm with you on that DJ 116234....I really like it.
I may have to spring for one of those in the near future!

Mike
Rudy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2008, 12:40 AM   #26
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
A couple of clarifications on the BP FF...

- the strap is kevlar reinforced canvas, which is fancy talk for sail-cloth as in sailing boats, and the part that comes into contact with the wrist is natural unscented rubber, bonded to the kevlar. it's not absorbent from my close inspection of the watch a couple weeks ago.

- i have relatively small wrists, but i've never measured them (i wear my rolex with one link removed and the pushpin moved to the second hole on the clasp) and the FF is fantastically proportioned once on the wrist.

- the movement is not based on Piguet, it's an in-house automatic caliber 3135 or something, and has a five day power reserve. the winding mechanism is supposed to be very very efficient.

- the watch is also anti-magnetic to the same degree as the Milgauss, this was part of the design brief for the original FF

I think it's a cool watch, and despite it's size, works beautifully due to the slenderness of the watch on the wrist, and virtually perfect proportions. I would have bought it if I hadn't bought my FP Journe.

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2008, 12:42 AM   #27
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Glad you are at peace with your decision to sell the GMTII-C Bo!

I voted for the SD, since it's all you've been talking about

Like the GMTII-C, I think it's a nice contrast to your white Daytona. You'd basically be replacing a 'diver look' (GMT) with a diver, so it shouldn't 'shock' your system too much Personally, I'd pick a Rolex over an Omega just about every time, though I do appreciate Omega's craftmanship, I just like the look of the Rolex models more.

I also am not a fan of the FF.....I'd say get that SD for now and continue to save for that DJ later....or maybe that DD you want

Keep us posted!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2008, 12:46 AM   #28
BuffaloRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 (blue dial)
Knowing your affinity for the always-here-then-gone SD, I'd get yourself a keeper in that arena!
BuffaloRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2008, 12:53 AM   #29
mfer
"TRF" Member

Bo. I think you know that you shouldn't deal with that azz dealer...

Get a used SD and SMP. Two watches for the same price as the 50 fathom.

DON'T FLIP THAT SD AGAIN!!!!!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2008, 12:56 AM   #30
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
Bo, from reading your threads. I go w/the SD. Good Luck in your decision.
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote