The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 October 2018, 03:09 AM   #1
DJ1986
"TRF" Member

Question Rolex Vintage Bracelet Stretch - Watchwinder

Hi,

I have a question regarding Bracelet stretch. I have a vintage datejust, 16030 - 1986, which has some bracelet stretch. I have the watch in a safe if I don't wear it on a watchwinder.

Does anyone of you know if a watchwinder normally make the stretch worse? Or should that not bother? The pillow in the watchwinder isn't thicker than my wrist.

And do you generally use a watchwinder for watches that you don't wear for a while?

Thanks,
Dirk
DJ1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 04:05 AM   #2
05carbondrz
Banned

Bracelet’s don’t stretch,They are slowly ground down by sweat and dirt in between the links.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 05:30 AM   #3
Rvltn123
"TRF" Member

No, watchwinder will not make it worse.
Rvltn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 07:54 AM   #4
Antognoli
"TRF" Member

Best is to just let it sit in the safe.
Antognoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 08:06 AM   #5
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Bracelet’s don’t stretch,They are slowly ground down by sweat and dirt in between the links.
That's interesting. I've always been curious about the "stretch" in say a 9315 bracelet. If you know, exactly what is losing metal to cause this stretch -- the inside of the links themselves, or the pins that hold the links together? Presumably there's some limiting factor here after which too much "stretch" (or erosion) causes the link to fail/break. I can't visualize what that actually looks like -- exactly what part fails/breaks and what it looks like.

All I know with certainty is that I don't want a first-hand, experiential answer to this question!
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 06:27 PM   #6
DJ1986
"TRF" Member

What do you exactly mean? Leave it on the watchwinder in the safe?
Old 13 October 2018, 06:28 PM   #7
DJ1986
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
That's interesting. I've always been curious about the "stretch" in say a 9315 bracelet. If you know, exactly what is losing metal to cause this stretch -- the inside of the links themselves, or the pins that hold the links together? Presumably there's some limiting factor here after which too much "stretch" (or erosion) causes the link to fail/break. I can't visualize what that actually looks like -- exactly what part fails/breaks and what it looks like.

All I know with certainty is that I don't want a first-hand, experiential answer to this question!
What do you exactly mean? Do you think a watchwinder can make the stretch worse?
Old 14 October 2018, 01:43 AM   #8
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1986 View Post
And do you generally use a watchwinder for watches that you don't wear for a while?
Whether to use a watchwinder is a regular controversial topic on several forums. I don't use winders anymore because I figure there's no sense putting unnecessary use and wear on the movements that would decrease the time between service intervals. Enough watchmakers seem to think that the idea of "winding the watch regularly to evenly distribute the oils" is no longer relevant with the advent of synthetic lubricants. That being said, if I had a perpetual or annual calendar moonphase watch that I wore only every few weeks and was a pain to reset every time, then I might keep it on a winder and just accept the fact that it might mean servicing the watch more frequently. If it's just a date-only (e.g., Datejust) or simple calendar watch, then I wouldn't even think about a winder.
Old 14 October 2018, 01:48 AM   #9
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1986 View Post
What do you exactly mean? Do you think a watchwinder can make the stretch worse?
My comment was a response to 05carbondrz. I asked him to say more about bracelet erosion/stretch, and I implied that I wouldn't want to experience bracelet failure first-hand, by having a watch with stretched/eroded links fall off my wrist while wearing it.
Old 14 October 2018, 03:16 AM   #10
Frank80
"TRF" Member

Watch: u talkin' bout
Bracelet wear happens to both the pins and links. Dirt gets in between the pin and link grinding on their surfaces. That allows a little play between them which allows the exterior side surfaces to grind against each other allowing more play which now occurs both vertically and horizontally.
Frank80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 06:07 AM   #11
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank80 View Post
Bracelet wear happens to both the pins and links. Dirt gets in between the pin and link grinding on their surfaces. That allows a little play between them which allows the exterior side surfaces to grind against each other allowing more play which now occurs both vertically and horizontally.
Thanks for that!
Old 14 October 2018, 08:42 AM   #12
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
In addition to “wear” fold d link bracelets (I. E. 9315) also have the links “open up” which probably is where this catch- all “stretch” phrase came from. Those did in fact stretch and could be closed up (if you know what your doing) to “tighten” them up again.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 12:23 AM   #13
DJ1986
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone!
Old 15 October 2018, 01:22 PM   #14
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
In addition to “wear” fold d link bracelets (I. E. 9315) also have the links “open up” which probably is where this catch- all “stretch” phrase came from. Those did in fact stretch and could be closed up (if you know what your doing) to “tighten” them up again.

Yes to this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote