The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 April 2019, 03:23 AM   #1
xxxkahunaxxx
"TRF" Member

how NOT to get scammed (as a seller)

im asking ahead of time before listing my watch for sale. I have had it authenticated by Rolex Canada, so i know its real, but ive heard of so many scams that im hoping to hear from all of you anything i should watch for to not be scammed as the seller somehow? ie someone buying the watch then switching it out and claiming its fake? i dont know...this is why im posing this question here. im a one Rolex watch owner. not a collector or frequent buy/sell/ trader...took a chance when i bought it and got lucky i guess because it was real, but now id like to sell and not fall into some potential rip off situation
thanks in advance
xxxkahunaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2019, 03:36 AM   #2
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Interesting question and something I've been curious about as well. Unfortunately, I'm afraid as soon as the question gets answered, scammer will find work-arounds for the strategies listed. I suppose in the same way one would buy the seller , one has to sell to someone they can verify as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2019, 03:50 AM   #3
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
I am sure there are many seasoned sellers that could give you some pointers - plus take a look at the forum guidelines in the classified section. Some of the things I have learnt selling the occasional here, and on other forums:

- Plenty of horror stories using PP. PP will typically side with the buyer, which opens the door for exploitation. Use direct wire transfer preferably.
-Feedback/reputation of buyers. Look a the potential buyer's feedback on this forum and on others.
- Communication - how prompt, level of communication, style, etc. I make a point of talking directly to a buyer i have not dealt with in the past via telephone. I like to know who I am selling to.
-keep all records of transaction communication. Take pictures of packing, package, shipping label. Use insurance.
-A safer bet is to sell to a trusted seller on this site.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2019, 04:04 AM   #4
dmb359
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Paypal isn't an issue if you've done your homework on the seller. I prefer wire if its over maybe a grand, but I've taken and paid with paypal on much higher dollar transactions too.

points 2 and 3 above are key - buyers feedback, and their communication. Do you're homework. For every bad transaction you hear about on here, there are probably hundreds of good ones.

I'm no dealer, but I've probably sold 20-30 watches over the last couple years on forums, and never had an issue.
Old 30 April 2019, 04:11 AM   #5
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
For a risk free transaction offer your watch to a professional seller.
You'll loose lots of money but you get what you agree upon and you don't get mugged or kicked by PayPal
Old 30 April 2019, 04:12 AM   #6
Lgear080
Banned

Sell or trade to a dealer
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2019, 09:42 AM   #7
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
if you are a known member and your buyer is too then it shouldn't be a problem and use direct bank wire. if i were you i would be more concerned with your own situation as no one knows you. finding known and trusted buyers will be easy if your item is interesting and decently priced.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2019, 11:47 AM   #8
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgear080 View Post
You make less. But the peace of mind is priceless.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2019, 12:53 PM   #9
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
It's a two-way street. You have to build up reputation yourself on forum if you intend to buy/sell on forum. I myself will be hesitant to purchase a high value item from a new forumer like you. It takes time, but you'll get there with active forum participation and good feedback from fellow forumers.
Old 30 April 2019, 04:19 PM   #10
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This! Deal with one of the trusted sellers on TRF. They are usually reasonable on price and they remove the opportunity cost and hassle of having to deal with the dangers mentioned in this thread.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 12:31 AM   #11
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
I've only been on the buyer side but i think the same advice applies. As people above have been saying, I will only deal with established members or dealers -- just not worth the risk or stress for me
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 12:42 AM   #12
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
You make less. But the peace of mind is priceless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
This! Deal with one of the trusted sellers on TRF. They are usually reasonable on price and they remove the opportunity cost and hassle of having to deal with the dangers mentioned in this thread.
This every time. If loyal and you use the same one may get you a little more each time as well.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 01:09 AM   #13
Star Ferry
Banned

for a Rolex sports I'd sell (and have sold) to a TS, of whom my preferred dealer is Takuya. the problem is TS are mainly in the market for fast-moving pieces above a certain price threshold.

I've sold at least 10 cheaper or less-hot pieces (Seiko, Casio, Grand Seiko, etc.) on Ebay (with payment by paypal) and have never had an issue. Most buyers are honest. If the bidder has 0 feedback, wants to do the deal outside ebay, or can't answer an ebay message in coherent English, then I cancel their bid. I've even sold into Southeast Asia via ebay with no issues. I refuse to sell into Russia or any country where customs issues are inevitable.

If anything, some buyers are overly trusting. I've had a new member on TRF wire me a substantial sum upfront for a watch. Since he was in a foreign country, there was no legal recourse for him if things went bad. Fortunately for him I delivered faster-than-promised with a free CaseBudi. I would never rip somebody off, it's simply not in my DNA, but plenty of sellers would. basically on TRF I'd only take wire upfront, unless it was a well known member with skin in this game
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 01:48 AM   #14
MinMay
Banned

There will always be some stress when you’re dealing with high value transactions. There are many horror stories about selling online and meeting face to face. At the end of the day you’ll need to decide which method to sell your watch. No one on this forum is going to protect you if your transaction goes awry. I was scammed recently but luckily it was a small ticket item. Like other stated the recommended option is to sell it to a reputable seller. Good luck.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 03:47 AM   #15
xxxkahunaxxx
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies and good advice. So now i know WHO to sell to, what ways are there to prove things are legit from my side?
photos?
should i share serial number?
photos of the receipt from Rolex Canada of the authenticity check? (shows serial number, model, number of links)
Old 1 May 2019, 04:01 AM   #16
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
I suggest you take a look at the For Sale Forum - particularly from the trusted sellers for good examples, and also look at the guidelines posted in the forums for how to post an ad.
Dont share serial numbers or personal receipts on the public platform. I wont share those details with a buyer I dont know, or who I know is just kicking tyres.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 04:09 AM   #17
xxxkahunaxxx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanAdian View Post
I suggest you take a look at the For Sale Forum - particularly from the trusted sellers for good examples, and also look at the guidelines posted in the forums for how to post an ad.
Dont share serial numbers or personal receipts on the public platform. I wont share those details with a buyer I dont know, or who I know is just kicking tyres.
thanks, ill do that
Old 1 May 2019, 06:30 AM   #18
TargetJewelry
"TRF" Member

so many horror stores online and in real life, Ive seen guys come in with a fake watch on there left wrist, try a real one on the right wrist, turn around, take off the left wrist and had back to AD and walk out..... SOOOO many stories
TargetJewelry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 09:16 AM   #19
janice&fred
Banned

gee whiz i wonder how many PM's the OP is getting
Old 1 May 2019, 05:03 PM   #20
xxxkahunaxxx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
gee whiz i wonder how many PM's the OP is getting
none so far...not sure if this is sarcastic, or if the thinking was that this was my post to sell my watch... it wasnt...
i figured there are probably scams that people have had happen even when selling...
i have definitely heard ebay sellers talk about paypal, siding with buyers and people claiming they didnt get their item and paypal returning the buyers money...seller is out the money AND their item!!

i thought i could get advice here so as NOT to have something similar happen to me...
Old 1 May 2019, 05:47 PM   #21
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxkahunaxxx View Post
Thanks for all the replies and good advice. So now i know WHO to sell to, what ways are there to prove things are legit from my side?
photos?
should i share serial number?
photos of the receipt from Rolex Canada of the authenticity check? (shows serial number, model, number of links)
That would be up to the professional trusted seller.
If you do your homework on the who is who you can easily find with whom to make a deal.
Following any instructions from them would be no problem for me.
Old 1 May 2019, 07:38 PM   #22
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxkahunaxxx View Post
none so far...not sure if this is sarcastic, or if the thinking was that this was my post to sell my watch... it wasnt...
i figured there are probably scams that people have had happen even when selling...
i have definitely heard ebay sellers talk about paypal, siding with buyers and people claiming they didnt get their item and paypal returning the buyers money...seller is out the money AND their item!!

i thought i could get advice here so as NOT to have something similar happen to me...
well then i suppose the next step is to post the thing for sale with pics and take it from there. since you're just beginning on the selling side then like i said i think the issue of establishing trust will be in your court more than on whoever is sending the payment. if you don't use paypal then there is zero chance of getting scammed no? give it a shot.