The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 February 2020, 07:43 AM   #1
chinjab
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1955 AP Ultrathin
Rolex Explorer 14270 Swiss Only

This is my every day watch. 1999 Explorer with transitional dial. Just got this green suede strap the other day. In love with it.

Does anyone foresee collectors desiring Swiss Only dials down the line?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 4.43.06 PM.png (228.4 KB, 314 views)
chinjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 08:08 AM   #2
sunnyxuan106
"TRF" Member

Very nice. Mine is N series with 78360.
sunnyxuan106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 08:33 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
No.

The Swiss dials represent a known era after the tritium era, every Rolex in this era has the same dial.
Old 7 February 2020, 03:46 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinjab View Post

Does anyone foresee collectors desiring Swiss Only dials down the line?

That’s up to the future collectors who probably haven’t been born yet. I used to have an A s/n Expl. II Swiss only dial and wish I had kept it.

My unscientific observation is that the Swiss only dials were only made for 2 years. That is, 1998-1999 after Tritium dials were phased out in favor of Luminova.

Then Super Luminova replaced Luminova and dials switched to “Swiss Made” from late 1999 until now. So A & U s/n’s are the usual finds (except for Swiss service dials that can really screw up collectors).

Buy today, and they sell for pretty much the same prices as others. But let’s consider the models that could go up...GMT, Sub and Expl.II are my picks. But not soon...

Here is why I say the future of higher value rests in the collectors of 2050 and later. Think of a bow-tie...

On the left side of the knot are all the watches with Tritium dials. On the right side of the knot are Super Luminova Swiss Made dials.

The Swiss only dials are the knot - produced for a short time and in relatively low numbers compared to 20+ years’ worth of production for the left and right sides. Over the next 30 years their numbers will reduce due to loss, destruction, obsolescence (meaning put away in a drawer and forgotten until the owner passes away). OK - maybe 50 years. Who knows?

Now, as that number gets smaller each year until 2050, all it takes is a spark. Then and only then will the value spike IMHO. Not the $700K that recent Daytona was estimated on Antiques Roadshow. But you get the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 05:03 AM   #5
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The swiss only dials are unique to a short period of production. I always wondered if sent in for service and the dial were to be replaced would it be replaced with a swiss made dial? If some of those have been serviced and replaced the original number of swiss only dials continues to decline. A full set and original condition watch is always worth more, and one that becomes harder to find do to some unique feature, then is usually worth more. When will the value go on these pieces? Looks like prices for all Rolex has increased.
Old 7 February 2020, 07:32 AM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If a watch is sent to RSC and needs a dial replacement, the service dial is a SWISS only dial. So those owners who already had SWISS only dials aren’t troubled.

But later SWISS MADE owners will now get a SWISS only dial.

IMHO no real expectation in higher price vs. a SWISS MADE dialed Rolex for many decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 04:14 PM   #7
yogaman1963
"TRF" Member

Rolex 14270

Hi

What to buy a Rolex 14270 Swiss only box and papers

Regards
Antonio
yogaman1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:40 AM   #8
JerimiahLee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 Meters 1st
In my experience, the dials fall in a very specific late U6 serial and up to A7 serial range.

For reference, I've had at least 25 Swiss only sport models at this point. I consider them collectable and am always a buyer :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
The swiss only dials are unique to a short period of production. I always wondered if sent in for service and the dial were to be replaced would it be replaced with a swiss made dial? If some of those have been serviced and replaced the original number of swiss only dials continues to decline. A full set and original condition watch is always worth more, and one that becomes harder to find do to some unique feature, then is usually worth more. When will the value go on these pieces? Looks like prices for all Rolex has increased.
JerimiahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:11 AM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Rare + Desirable = Valuable

Perhaps one can make a case that Swiss-only dials will be "rare" in some sense. But the idea that they would be particularly desirable is a bit hard to swallow. However, I've been wrong before, just ask wife.
Old 20 February 2020, 03:53 AM   #10
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
They aesthetically look identical to the later 14270's just without the made. If we look at 1016's, the later matte ones are all around the same price if the condition and patina are the same. Thus i doubt they become anything special.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote