The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 November 2019, 04:33 AM   #31
Giog
"TRF" Member

Here is the reply from the store.

“The rolex is authentic, it's unfortunate I was not at the store yesterday to assist with your questions. Linda worked with you and while she is excellent with jewelry sales, watches are not her best area. The dial of the watch has been refinished unfortunately. It's a service I would never recommend but someone preformed it on the watch before it arrived to us. The watch is absolutely authentic and the price it was purchased for is representative of the alteration of the dial. If the watch was 100% original it would be priced in the $12,000 range at a minimum.“
Giog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 04:35 AM   #32
1665fan
"TRF" Member

I’d return it....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 04:41 AM   #33
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Did the watch come with any extras, i.e. papers etc?

You might want to change the dial out, if your that way inclined. For $6k i think its a fair buy to be honest.

Springer is your man to talk to in regards GMTs, very informative posts and highly regarded on the forum.

Edit: Meant to say case back engraving always intrigues me. You know the back story to it etc. Always seems a bit sad that somebody parts with something that was a personal token at some point in their lives, from somebody who obviously thought highly of the recipient.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 04:47 AM   #34
Giog
"TRF" Member

I do not know the story. But that too intrigued me and really took doubt out of it being a fake. It seems like a date and a letter. I’ll see if I can figure out the story and let you know.
Old 24 November 2019, 04:47 AM   #35
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giog View Post
Here is the reply from the store.

“The rolex is authentic, it's unfortunate I was not at the store yesterday to assist with your questions. Linda worked with you and while she is excellent with jewelry sales, watches are not her best area. The dial of the watch has been refinished unfortunately. It's a service I would never recommend but someone preformed it on the watch before it arrived to us. The watch is absolutely authentic and the price it was purchased for is representative of the alteration of the dial. If the watch was 100% original it would be priced in the $12,000 range at a minimum.“
Assuming it's authentic, Rolex would service it and install all new service parts for roughly $1.5k, correct? With $7,500 into it, that would put it at about the right price point for a 1675 with service parts. Not of interest to me personally, but the OP seems ok with it.
Old 24 November 2019, 04:52 AM   #36
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
If this watch gets sent to RSC, what would they do? Do they have any older dials, maybe not this old but something older than current gen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 04:53 AM   #37
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Assuming it's authentic, Rolex would service it and install all new service parts for roughly $1.5k, correct? With $7,500 into it, that would put it at about the right price point for a 1675 with service parts. Not of interest to me personally, but the OP seems ok with it.

But what would the “service parts” look like for the dial?

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 04:57 AM   #38
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
But what would the “service parts” look like for the dial?

Probably something like the SL service dial shown at the bottom of this page:
https://gmtmaster1675.com/mark-6-service-dials/

Of course, the OP can also look for a dial on the pre-owned market.
Old 24 November 2019, 05:00 AM   #39
Giog
"TRF" Member

I will most likely wear it for a bit play with some straps then send it to Rolex.
Old 24 November 2019, 05:51 AM   #40
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A service dial for a 1675 would look very much like an original dial, but with Luminova plots. They do not make gold surround service dials for the 1675.

I still say, enjoy it. When you have it serviced you will have a solid watch that you can wear for decades at a sensible cost.

If you had an all original, authentic, 1675, you couldn't wear it without thinking about the risk.
Old 24 November 2019, 06:20 AM   #41
bazin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I agree with this comment! Based on the poor quality photos, my best guess would be the dial is refinished, the bezel insert is a service replacement as well as the hands being service replacements as well.

Place some better quality photos of the watch here and keep refrain from including your body parts in the photos - just the watch, no fingers, hands, arms, wrists or toes!
Hi Springer,

Ref:.....Both winding crown protectors differ > 0,5 mm in length.....and also in height (right one shorter and lower as left one / observation with picture enlarged to 400%)......even after severe polishing this can not be the result........I fear that the case is fake too....

I believe there can be no doubt about my observation........it is very, very clear....
However what's, your opinion about this...how can you explain this?

Regards, Ruud
bazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 06:29 AM   #42
athom
"TRF" Member

Despite this poor quality of the seller and the watch :

1* Always ask for opinion on this forum BEFORE to pull the trigger

2* Compare the "normal" price to the price the seller offers you..if you find out a big difference, ask (at least yourself) why...always a bad sign...
athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 07:19 AM   #43
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Hi Springer,

Ref:.....Both winding crown protectors differ > 0,5 mm in length.....and also in height (right one shorter and lower as left one / observation with picture enlarged to 400%)......even after severe polishing this can not be the result........I fear that the case is fake too....

I believe there can be no doubt about my observation........it is very, very clear....
However what's, your opinion about this...how can you explain this?

Regards, Ruud
Maybe, maybe - or it's just a bad polish job. Poor photos for me to come to a 100% conclusion. And, speaking of poor photos, those "body parts" photos are not the subject of the discussion here - the photos should be of the watch and not other distracting extraneous matter. I see this quite often. Guys need to learn how to take photos of the subject being discussed, not their body parts.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 07:30 AM   #44
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The RSC will not work on these watches anymore from what I understand. They are sent to Rolex in Geneva for repairs with a $1,000 deposit required from the owner.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 04:22 AM   #45
Giog
"TRF" Member

Update

Just wanted to update everyone,

I ended up sending to RSC, they obviously returned it due to the Painted dial. I had mentioned this to the store i purchased from since the beginning and we had an understanding.

i returned the watch for full refund and just purchased a midsized 36mm AP royal oak 4100 two tone instead.

I am very happy that there are still good and decent people in this world of watches. thank you all! cheers
Old 11 February 2020, 04:48 AM   #46
1665fan
"TRF" Member

You got lucky they took it back!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 05:06 AM   #47
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I ended up sending to RSC, they obviously returned it due to the Painted dial.
Did RSC offer to service it and install a new dial? If you could expand a bit on the communications from RSC, it might be helpful for other forum members.
Old 11 February 2020, 05:16 AM   #48
Giog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Did RSC offer to service it and install a new dial? If you could expand a bit on the communications from RSC, it might be helpful for other forum members.
They did not give me the option. A lady from RSC called up the AD in my area that i use and told them they are sending it back. When we got it we called RSC and had them explain and they said that they no longer service watches with any major components that are not Rolex originals. the dial fell under that category. I personally was willing to invest a bit more into a new dial to restore this watch to specs but was not given the option.
Old 11 February 2020, 08:31 AM   #49
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Most of the value of these pieces is in the dial. Yours has been re-done completely or is just plain fake. If you can, you should get your money back. You should be able to.

If you don't care, you should. I suppose you could buy a correct dial, get the serial number from between the lugs if its there...
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 09:06 AM   #50
Giog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post
Most of the value of these pieces is in the dial. Yours has been re-done completely or is just plain fake. If you can, you should get your money back. You should be able to.

If you don't care, you should. I suppose you could buy a correct dial, get the serial number from between the lugs if its there...
I did get my money back... now i have a very cool midsize 36mm AP royal oak 4100 two tone

cheers
Old 22 February 2020, 08:54 AM   #51
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
I did get my money back... now i have a very cool midsize 36mm AP royal oak 4100 two tone

cheers

Good work. That thing was a wreck. So much violation and disrespect. Glad they took it back.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 05:31 PM   #52
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Was it priced at 6K?
Old 22 February 2020, 05:50 PM   #53
bayareabuggs
Banned

wow vintage is terrifying
bayareabuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 09:14 AM   #54
Giog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Was it priced at 6K?
the 1675 was priced at 6k, Yes
Old 27 February 2020, 09:16 AM   #55
Giog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareabuggs View Post
wow vintage is terrifying
My first dabble... ill try again at another time. never knew about how sketchy the vintage rolex market got... i guess thats why you buy from reputable dealers.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:39 AM   #56
statuskuo
"TRF" Member

Like many have already pointed out, dial is fake or poorly redone. A correct mark I dial will set you back easily $1-3k depending on condition. Bezel is also not correct for the watch.

If this is to be your first watch in the collect, I'd recommend doing it right and getting an all original watch (esp if you're never selling it). The satisfaction of having a watch as it was intended out of the factory goes a long way. Best of luck
statuskuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 04:02 PM   #57
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:

cheers
Well done!
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 06:35 AM   #58
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
A service dial for a 1675 would look very much like an original dial, but with Luminova plots. They do not make gold surround service dials for the 1675.

I still say, enjoy it. When you have it serviced you will have a solid watch that you can wear for decades at a sensible cost.

If you had an all original, authentic, 1675, you couldn't wear it without thinking about the risk.
I agree. And you paid a decent price. Enjoy
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote