The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 February 2020, 09:04 AM   #1
watchguy1234
"TRF" Member

Hunting For A YG 1675/8 or 16758. Questions!

Hi friends. I'm trying to learn more about the YG 1675/8 and 16758 references. Prices seem to have increased recently, and supply is limited. I only see a handful of good condition examples on the market at any given time, most of which are head-only watches.

1) I'm curious if folks know what the current RSC service bezel inserts look like? I ask because I tracked down a decent 1675/8, but the bezel is pretty scratched up. I've seen some old bezels for sale, but another concern is the brown on the bezel not matching the brown on the dial, as they would have aged separately.

2) Does RSC sell NOS YG bracelets? Most examples are head only so I'm trying to decide if it's worth tracking down a full set instead.

Thanks!
watchguy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 10:48 AM   #2
BigBlue1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
These are great questions. I am curious myself as to what they produce and or have lying around as far as new old stock for these models, particularly the all gold models. I m not sure but I would imagine if they do make these NOS bracelets they will run you 16000 IMHO.

I am curious as well now that you ask.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 11:11 AM   #3
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
No RSC does not have NOS fat font bezels. Asked. No. There's a very nice one on Fleabay now for the very low price (Sarcasm) of 34K with no box or papers but looks almost new old stock with a bit of vault patina a hidden clasp jubilee. Good luck guys, that is a beautiful reference.

https://www.ebay.com/i/264177489288?...iABEgICafD_BwE
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 11:33 AM   #4
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I've found that answers from RSCs and ADs vary significantly - you could call five of them and get five different responses. Contact a few and ask.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 11:49 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think you need to worry about the insert "matching" the dial. The aging of dials and bezel inserts is incredibly variable. So just find a period-correct insert that looks good to you, and all will be well.

Regarding the bracelet, I'm pretty sure that at this point Rolex doesn't routinely sell much of anything NOS from the 70s or 80s. If you have a lot of clout, maybe you can get them to open their safe full of goodies, but it seems doubtful. However, they will certainly sell you the modern equivalent. Alternatively, there are a couple of places (classicwatchrepair, rolliworks) that will do a wonderful job restoring an old bracelet, for much less than the cost of a new one.

Please keep us updated on your search!
Old 18 February 2020, 12:18 PM   #6
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
However, they will certainly sell you the modern equivalent. Alternatively, there are a couple of places (classicwatchrepair, rolliworks) that will do a wonderful job restoring an old bracelet, for much less than the cost of a new one.
This. I've gone with both options and been happy both times. Modern equivalent not cheap, though, especially in gold.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 03:54 PM   #7
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Find a nice 16718 or 167188.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 10:46 PM   #8
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Your best bet is to find one with a bracelet rather than trying to purchase one separately, even if you find a bracelet chances are the date code won’t be correct. The insert is not a problem just figure spending $750-1000 for one that catches your eye. The 16758 inserts are much cheaper than the 1675/8.

I think Greekbum has a full set 16758 listed on the forum.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 01:55 AM   #9
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smellody View Post
Find a nice 16718 or 167188.
Sapphire changes the whole look IMO. 1675/8 is the watch I'd like to have but will probably never buy, because one in the right condition is so difficult to find at the right price (and also, where would I wear it). I thought of going the five-digit route as a substitute and found one locally, but when I had that watch (16718) on the wrist I found the sapphire robbed the watch of charm.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote