The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 September 2018, 05:01 AM   #31
BT1985
"TRF" Member

I'm seeing lot of 'Its on display but dealer won't sell unless...' threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
MSRP - is just that, manufacturers suggested retail price.

The AD is totally free to set the price they want. Otherwise it’s called price fixing.

They have zero legal obligation to sell anyone that watch. The only reason they could be in trouble legally is if they refused to serve a particular customer on the basis of discrimination.

Rolex will pull their inventory if they sell over MSRP. If they could sell for over list then they would and there would be no grey market. You are right about that they do not have to sell it, but they can’t go over list. That’s why it would be problematic for them to maintain possession of a dropped watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:02 AM   #32
edd26
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16600
[QUOTE=stash21;8900304]Why not just buy both and then later return the PM model unworn for a refund. Sure consumer law in most countries allows this.[/QUOT.

agree
edd26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:07 AM   #33
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwisgaar View Post
I just left an AD in Greensboro that was perfectly happy to sell me a black dial SkyDweller, a ceramic Daytona, or any of their two Subs and I had never even been there before. I have a Pepsi coming this week but I said I would tell some friends. Call Schiffman's and ask for Brian.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think everyone is calling Brian in Greensboro now....

Old 3 September 2018, 05:20 AM   #34
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkim1027 View Post
I think I would have more chance of winning if I bring it to court...I tried to pay for the watch that was for sale but they declined to sell and asked for more than MSRP or only charged for repair?

All this to get a hold of a piece of high end of luxury jewelry?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:23 AM   #35
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
Rolex will pull their inventory if they sell over MSRP. If they could sell for over list then they would and there would be no grey market. You are right about that they do not have to sell it, but they can’t go over list. That’s why it would be problematic for them to maintain possession of a dropped watch.

Yes I'm sure that would be the case, but legally they could sell at over, or under if they chose to.

Bundling hot pieces with a PM model is their way of effectively doing the same thing whilst maintaining Rolex's expectations at the point of sale.

If a watch was maliciously dropped, I'm sure they would press charges and seek damages to cover the repair bill, then sell it pre owned via a grey dealer.

If it was accidentally dropped and sufficiently damaged then I expect they would have insurance to cover this, and/ or back to Rolex to be repaired. I would expect in this case then to be re-sold as BNIB. As Rolex dictates the watches history and as it hadn't yet sold, they could repair/ mend as needed. It would presumably be the same as if one was dropped inside the factory during the final QC checks.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:25 AM   #36
jkim1027
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

All this to get a hold of a piece of high end of luxury jewelry?
Well, its just a stupid thought I had
jkim1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:25 AM   #37
maximus1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
What type of person would consider damaging others property in order to make a purchase?
maximus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:26 AM   #38
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
:wtf:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkim1027 View Post
well, its just a stupid thought i had

QFT!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:27 AM   #39
jkim1027
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes I'm sure that would be the case, but legally they could sell at over, or under if they chose to.

Bundling hot pieces with a PM model is their way of effectively doing the same thing whilst maintaining Rolex's expectations at the point of sale.

If a watch was maliciously dropped, I'm sure they would press charges and seek damages to cover the repair bill, then sell it pre owned via a grey dealer.

If it was accidentally dropped and sufficiently damaged then I expect they would have insurance to cover this, and/ or back to Rolex to be repaired. I would expect in this case then to be re-sold as BNIB. As Rolex dictates the watches history and as it hadn't yet sold, they could repair/ mend as needed. It would presumably be the same as if one was dropped inside the factory during the final QC checks.
Wouldn't you rather sell than to lose AD qualification?
Old 3 September 2018, 05:29 AM   #40
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yea good call on insurance claim and grey is probably the most logical route. I get the packaging as a way to effectively sell over MSRP. My point is I don’t think they can use it for that purpose once it has need repaired for a drop. How would you like to get a dropped watch after shelling out for a PM reference also to get it?

Old 3 September 2018, 05:32 AM   #41
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Funny... ADs are businesses that want to make money just like any other business.

Either the practice of bundling is accepted or Rolex should just jack up the prices of in demand watches. I favor the second option which is more transparent at least

Old 3 September 2018, 05:32 AM   #42
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus1 View Post
What type of person would consider damaging others property in order to make a purchase?

I don’t think (I hope) he isn’t actually considering this or advocating for it. It’s actually an interesting hypothetical which is way more enjoyable to discuss than which watch is more scarce...this AD told me this rumor...etc...

Old 3 September 2018, 05:33 AM   #43
jkim1027
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t think (I hope) he isn’t actually considering this or advocating for it. It’s actually an interesting hypothetical which is way more enjoyable to discuss than which watch is more scarce...this AD told me this rumor...etc...

saw it on other post...
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=625730
Old 3 September 2018, 05:40 AM   #44
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How would you like to get a dropped watch after shelling out for a PM reference also to get it?
The problem is the history of the watch up until you get the warranty card and take ownership is invisible to the end customer and the AD even. Look at the people who buy brand new only for the watch to need to go straight back for repairs under warranty...who knows what may have happened to them en-route to the showroom floor.

It's the watch equivalent of a chef dropping your steak on the floor then still serving it. I'm led to believe it happens far more than you would want to know !!

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 06:25 AM   #45
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The problem is the history of the watch up until you get the warranty card and take ownership is invisible to the end customer and the AD even. Look at the people who buy brand new only for the watch to need to go straight back for repairs under warranty...who knows what may have happened to them en-route to the showroom floor.

It's the watch equivalent of a chef dropping your steak on the floor then still serving it. I'm led to believe it happens far more than you would want to know !!

Yikes

Old 3 September 2018, 06:33 AM   #46
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flstfirider View Post
A local Tudor dealer had the whole 2018 line in non working samples shortly after the new models were announced. There were also several threads several months ago re. Rolex launch events that had non working samples.

With regard to dealers not selling their display watches, are you sure they are functions models?
This is kind of off the main topic, but what happens to these non-working display units? Do they eventually get sold? Do they get sent back to Rolex, have movements installed and then sold? From what I understand, these displays are a real watches minus the movements. I think it would be cool to collect these!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote