The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 October 2023, 04:44 PM   #31
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
It’s actually simple to remove with a small piece of scotchbrite green, just rub in straight lines with the grain, it really is that simple and you can’t go wrong.
Once removed I’d fit anti scratch protection stickers, loads of people against them on here but I’ve used for years and highly recommended them, has to make sense to keep your beautiful and expensive watch looking like new rather than scratched up!
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 04:51 PM   #32
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Brian is correct, if an impact scratches a 904L bracelet then that same impact will scratch any stainless steel bracelet. The difference in scratch resistance between different stainless grades is negligible.
That scratch doesn’t look too bad.
I would leave it until next service and it will be fixed.

As has been said do not attempt to fix it with scotchbrite because while you will remove the scratch you will not match the original finish on the other links and you will be very unhappy.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 05:02 PM   #33
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlddrrr View Post
Well it finally happened, my first scratch. I was walking up the stairwell in a parking garage and I swung my arm and my bracelet hit the handrail. The funny thing is, it wasn't even a hard swing, and I had my soft fleece jacket covering my watch at the time! I've never had a watch scratch as easily as this. Curious to see if other people experience the same? Is this scratch easy to remove with a gentle polish? It's only visible if the light hits it well.
First thats not a scratch just normal wearing miniscule mark in normal daily wearing.As normal wearing scuffs marks best left till normal routine service time only.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 06:42 PM   #34
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Here's one for you, OP. Peeled the stickers off and wore it under a jacket. The god dang Velcro on my jacket scratches the sides like this. Keeping them nice is a hopeless effort. You just have to wear it and move on. Or move it on and get your sanity back

Old 11 October 2023, 06:53 PM   #35
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
To bad Rolex doesn't forge and heat treat watch case like Patek they're 316l. I have a 1999 5066 wear it all the time don't baby it. NO nicks few scratches nothing like my newer 2010 sub dents and scratches seen.
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 07:05 PM   #36
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Service it every time this happens.
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 07:07 PM   #37
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
The watches with scratch-proof steel are from a Jacksonville Beach microbrand: Traska.
Then there are also the Sinn and the Damasko, as others have said.
Rolex steel is as easily scratchable as that of all other brands, only better looking.
You cannot polish your scratch, as it is on a satin surface. I advise you to wait for the next service and perhaps by then you will have accumulated more scratches, because it is inevitable.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 08:21 PM   #38
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Here's one for you, OP. Peeled the stickers off and wore it under a jacket. The god dang Velcro on my jacket scratches the sides like this. Keeping them nice is a hopeless effort. You just have to wear it and move on. Or move it on and get your sanity back

Velcro, did THAT?
Was it Tungsten Velcro?
I've just deliberately, and with significant pressure, tried to scratch my GMT, with Velcro, and there is no evidence of any kind of mark visible.
Surely your scratches were caused by a zip, or some other metal component?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 09:04 PM   #39
77T

With apologies to Herb Morrison…
(Reporting on the Hindenburg crash)

“Oh, it's scratched . . . oh, four or five times into the steel, and it's a terrific scratch, ladies and gentlemen. There's scuffs, and there's swirls, now, and the case is scratched to the max, not quite to the lugs. Oh, the humanity, and all the owners screaming around here!”

FWIW: There is no difference between 316L and 904L steel in strength and hardness. Both have similar Rockwell hardness which is less than 95 and their tensile strength are both about 490MPa. (Yes, I cited Wiki - there, I said it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 09:57 PM   #40
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
Let it be, there are many more to come.... just the nature of the beast
this - wear it and enjoy it
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 10:39 PM   #41
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post

first cut is the deepest... I like seeing the scratches, means you're using it
Old 11 October 2023, 11:06 PM   #42
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

Based on some quick internet research, 904L is more corrosion resistant and polishes better, but 316L is harder and more scratch resistant. Given those tradeoffs, it seems to me that 316L is the better choice for a watch unless you will be frequently exposing your watch to corrosive substances, such as if you regularly swim in the ocean or a highly-chlorinated pool without rinsing your watch afterwards.
Commander C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 11:50 PM   #43
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander C. View Post
Based on some quick internet research, 904L is more corrosion resistant and polishes better, but 316L is harder and more scratch resistant. Given those tradeoffs, it seems to me that 316L is the better choice for a watch unless you will be frequently exposing your watch to corrosive substances, such as if you regularly swim in the ocean or a highly-chlorinated pool without rinsing your watch afterwards.
Not completely true it's how the metal is tempered effects the hardness so 904L could be harder than 316L or visa versa.In the real world 904L is a little bit more corrosion resistance over 316L.But the downside of 904L it will scratch and show scratches easily over 316L.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 11 October 2023, 11:54 PM   #44
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Velcro, did THAT?
Was it Tungsten Velcro?
I've just deliberately, and with significant pressure, tried to scratch my GMT, with Velcro, and there is no evidence of any kind of mark visible.
Surely your scratches were caused by a zip, or some other metal component?

Haha. Unfortunately it's true. It was the hook side of Patagonia granite crest jacket Velcro. Pop into REI or your nearest dealer to repeat the experiment
Old 12 October 2023, 12:23 AM   #45
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

If you’re going to scotch brite the finish, I would use finer than green and use a lubricant (water) to make it less abrasive as you try to remove imperfection. Like wet sanding a paint surface as a final step
Gearjockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 02:55 AM   #46
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

As others have said, the first scratch or scuff is the worst. If it's the only blemish, it will stand out to you. My advice is to keep wearing the watch. Within a year you won't even notice or recall exactly where it was because of new scratches and scuffs.

I got an extremely small scuff on the brushed outer link of the Oyster bracelet of my brand new BLRO two years ago. It bothered me for a week. It was small, I forgot about it. I wear my watches in a large rotation and a little over a year later (without anything close to daily use) I can't even find where the original scuff is anymore. My BLRO still looks 95-97% but even your clothing, will leave microswirls on the polished sections.

Give it time; you won't be able to find it in a year.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 03:42 PM   #47
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Not completely true it's how the metal is tempered effects the hardness so 904L could be harder than 316L or visa versa.In the real world 904L is a little bit more corrosion resistance over 316L.But the downside of 904L it will scratch and show scratches easily over 316L.
I agree Peter and this is also true for gold amalgams.

Many believe that 9k and 14k gold are harder than 18k but 18k can be harder than both depending on its amalgam mix and the annealing process.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 05:48 PM   #48
dlddrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, DD, BLNR, ND
Thanks to all those who posted. To answer some questions I’ve had the watch for about 7 months, though I don’t wear it all the time. I have other watches like Breitling and a Unimatic beater watch which has been through hell for last 2 years and that $1000 watch makes Rolex steel look like a butter popsicle stick.
dlddrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 07:01 PM   #49
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
let it be, there are many more to come.... Just the nature of the beast
+1
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 09:01 PM   #50
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlddrrr View Post
Thanks to all those who posted. To answer some questions I’ve had the watch for about 7 months, though I don’t wear it all the time. I have other watches like Breitling and a Unimatic beater watch which has been through hell for last 2 years and that $1000 watch makes Rolex steel look like a butter popsicle stick.
Well my own 16600 SD had a very hard life working as a real working tool for over 5 years underwater yes it got scratches if you had seen before RSC service think most would of had a heart attack.But after service like new only to get scratched again now over 23 years old still ticking and looking good.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 October 2023, 12:34 AM   #51
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Scars rock--they all have a tale to tell. Don't sweat it. Wear and enjoy the watch. Believe me there will be many others!
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 01:34 AM   #52
petemoss
"TRF" Member

As stated earlier, first cut is the deepest. Scratches add up and make up a pattern over time. As a daily driver, I never worry about scratches anymore.

https://i.postimg.cc/MKm6XjSj/IMG-3337.jpg
petemoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 02:06 AM   #53
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Buy a ceramic watch. It’ll never scratch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 02:48 AM   #54
Hkspwrsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
If you’re going to scotch brite the finish, I would use finer than green and use a lubricant (water) to make it less abrasive as you try to remove imperfection. Like wet sanding a paint surface as a final step
I’m glad someone said this! I hate seeing the weird heavy brush finished from an amateur refinish. Best to skip it or use the proper polishing blocks from Bergeon.