The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 November 2018, 12:04 AM   #91
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
OK .... I'm convinced ... thats ruined my weekend though .... now I'll have to look elsewhere for my doubting Thomas'ness.

I really really (like really really really) wanted to see this thread go to 10 pages.

Old 17 November 2018, 12:05 AM   #92
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
Ok, I see the comment and where’s the proof?
This forum and most members require no proof, they take everything as gospel.

Sad that this is what a watch forum has been reduced to, discussing corporate email correspondence
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 12:17 AM   #93
Amazing
"TRF" Member

Most of these restrictions have been in place in the UK for some time now. Only the independent dealers seem to ignore them and they seem to be closing fairly regularly.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 12:21 AM   #94
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

Sad that this is what a watch forum has been reduced to, discussing corporate email correspondence
Have to agree but like most things today if its on the net it must be true, and agree the forum lately has been going downhill on topics.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 01:02 AM   #95
johneh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
yes, or he should get a new English to Swiss dictionary
Swiss isn't a language...
Old 17 November 2018, 01:11 AM   #96
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
To all those that have allegedly seen this same letter/email in a different form, can any of you produce it here? Many people saying this is a confirmed genuine letter, with no actual evidence to back it up. It doesn’t appear genuine on it’s face, so people are entitled to be skeptical.
.... Believe what you want.
T.Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 01:31 AM   #97
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Utmost is not a usual front line word that foreigners learn so mistaking this for upmost is pretty common and understandable, and Rolex letters are not as formal or correct as many here seem to believe as we have seen here many times, plus the whole SM/text thing has infiltrated language in many areas as well.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 01:34 AM   #98
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

That’s because of the current market conditions Brian. Not because “we” take things as gospel.

For the record, my AD also confirmed these edicts are real

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 02:53 AM   #99
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Not from RolexUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokaoi1 View Post
New memo to ADs
Sorry to disagree, but this memo isn’t real in the US.
All letters from corporate are on embossed Rolex stationary.

The items on the memo have been reviewed recently with all official Jewelers in their 2018 "Rolex Policy Statements"; this is part of the retailer agreement.

Everything Rolex does is “The Rolex Way".
A tacky memo with word misuse isn’t quite their style.
casadecamporolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 03:09 AM   #100
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Just a thought ...

For everyone saying that the original letter was translated into English so errors/misstatements are expected, I call BS. I drive past two separate Rolex buildings in uptown Dallas everyday ... so you're trying to tell me a memo from Rolex HQ was sent out to all US/English speaking ADs without anyone in those respective regions proofreading it??

I know for a fact there is at least one good admin assistant or intern at Rolex Dallas that could have proofread and made this memo more believable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9D4743B2-952C-4DAD-8A49-2261B36D9737.jpeg (111.8 KB, 414 views)

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 04:23 AM   #101
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

This thread is awesome. BAS, are you enjoying this half as much as I am?
Old 17 November 2018, 05:53 AM   #102
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Lol I am patiently waiting for a panda when I see a guy on the Aussie FB watch selling page with not 1 but 2 new pandas for sale!!

Very frustrating!! (price in Aussie pesos)

Of course I can not afford to pay over MSRP and I am hoping to one day pick one up off from my local AD list.

Sent from my HTC 2PXH3 using Tapatalk
Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 05:58 AM   #103
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.thomas View Post
Just a thought ...
Fake. "Potnetial" and "tue-tone" are correctly misspelled both times.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:09 AM   #104
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer View Post
Could someone please clarify that ECU box thingy? Are you supposed to get the watch without the green box?
Engine Control Unit JK
GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:11 AM   #105
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Mas View Post
This thread is awesome. BAS, are you enjoying this half as much as I am?
I shouldn't have responded in the first place, I'm here for discussing watches and technical stuff.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:12 AM   #106
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer View Post
Could someone please clarify that ECU box thingy? Are you supposed to get the watch without the green box?
Misspelling of "ecru," referring to the beige outer box. Watches henceforth will only be sold in green boxes with no other packaging.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:45 AM   #107
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Misspelling of "ecru," referring to the beige outer box. Watches henceforth will only be sold in green boxes with no other packaging.
That’s a good guess, but the ECU means the “coffin” and plastic ring that is on the bezel when the watch is shipped to the AD. So, pretty much everything not meant for the end customer.
Old 18 November 2018, 03:18 AM   #108
Bobby T
Banned

Well, I must say there is some truth to this letter. Yesterday, when going to my local AD to pick up a 116610LN Sub/Date, they told me they had to remove the stickers and I had to fill out the warranty card.........No mention however about sizing the watch.

When I asked "why", they mentioned new policy instructions coming down from Rolex. Earlier in the year, I had picked up 2 other Rolex watches from the same AD, without them removing anything. I managed to talk my salesperson into at least leaving some, which she kindly obliged me. The warranty card issue, being in my name, has never been a big deal to me, whether I decided to keep the watch or flip. I've also never received the coffin plastic shipping holder from Rolex but I have always received them from Omega.

Definitely getting crazy out there!!!!
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 04:21 AM   #109
LLmrol
"TRF" Member

The memo is real, saw it today
LLmrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 04:38 AM   #110
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Real or not, I don’t see how this curtails selling to the grey market in any way.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 05:29 AM   #111
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
Real or not, I don’t see how this curtails selling to the grey market in any way.
Well, let’s compare 2 imaginary watches. And think about this rationally, please.

Watch #1 has all stickers intact, comes in a coffin with a plastic protector on the bezel, and the warranty card has no date or name on it. The band has stickers on it and had obviously never been adjusted. A new green box is included on the side.

Watch #2 has all stickers removed, comes in the normal green box and the band is adjusted to someone’s wrist size with one or more links removed. The warranty card has a date and someone’s name or “XXXXX” written on it.

Which one do you buy as a new untouched example on the grey market? Which one is worth the premium to you? Which one do you have doubts about being truly brand new and unworn? What does an adjusted band imply to you? To me personally, I see an adjusted band as a sign the watch that has been worn by someone else, for who knows how long. It’s a smart move by Rolex to make these new requirements.
Old 18 November 2018, 06:00 AM   #112
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

do real buyers really get excited by removing stickers? I guess there may be one or two fetishists, but seriously who cares...

Except for the flippers- the guys who stand between me and my new sub - so sod them. Go Rolex
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 06:04 AM   #113
ZOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Mas View Post
Well, let’s compare 2 imaginary watches. And think about this rationally, please.

Watch #1 has all stickers intact, comes in a coffin with a plastic protector on the bezel, and the warranty card has no date or name on it. The band has stickers on it and had obviously never been adjusted. A new green box is included on the side.

Watch #2 has all stickers removed, comes in the normal green box and the band is adjusted to someone’s wrist size with one or more links removed. The warranty card has a date and someone’s name or “XXXXX” written on it.

Which one do you buy as a new untouched example on the grey market? Which one is worth the premium to you? Which one do you have doubts about being truly brand new and unworn? What does an adjusted band imply to you? To me personally, I see an adjusted band as a sign the watch that has been worn by someone else, for who knows how long. It’s a smart move by Rolex to make these new requirements.

There are many watches meeting your watch #2 example being sold here in the classified forum or on other sale sites on the internet at a price above US MSRP. Or being sold on to Grey dealers for them to resell. These Rolex requirements do little to prevent people purchasing a Rolex watch and reselling for profit.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 06:09 AM   #114
ZOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
do real buyers really get excited by removing stickers? I guess there may be one or two fetishists, but seriously who cares...

Except for the flippers- the guys who stand between me and my new sub - so sod them. Go Rolex

Sticker removal is fine with me. It's the requirement that the AD must size the watch. I'd prefer to take care of that myself.

And what does keeping the ECU - coffin have to do with anything.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 06:58 AM   #115
Touring

I can't comment on the picture posted by the OP, but these new guidelines Rolex HQ are accurate, at least for certain markets. Without any prompting, one of my Canadian ADs confirmed these details and noted that this memo was received in the past week.
Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:39 PM   #116
ian.thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Fake. "Potnetial" and "tue-tone" are correctly misspelled both times.
What do you know?!? The quarter-time intern, whom is getting her degree from Parrot On-Line University, said the memo was good to go. So who's the idoit now?

P.S. But really, I don't know or care of the validity of this topic. It's just easy to make fun of, especially because the OP's letter-pic is so comical. And I still go by the rule, "If BAS says it's good", then it's good. So it looks like the letter or content is real.

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 01:01 PM   #117
Fencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVAZQUEZ View Post
Engine Control Unit JK
That is what I was afraid of. :)

Time to switch to unleaded.
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:40 PM   #118
Overwatch
"TRF" Member

I can confirm that there’s some truth to this memo, today I purchased my first Rolex watch and they made sure to remove all stickers, size the watch on my wrist and filled out the warranty card with the info on my id.
Overwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 05:22 PM   #119
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwatch View Post
I can confirm that there’s some truth to this memo, today I purchased my first Rolex watch and they made sure to remove all stickers, size the watch on my wrist and filled out the warranty card with the info on my id.

Did they keep the ECU box?
GarbanzoNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 10:53 PM   #120
GeoffEff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbanzoNegro View Post
Did they keep the ECU box?
Bought an Explorer at my AD a month ago. They took all stickers, sized it and filled out the warranty card. They also kept the plastic coffin.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Explorer 39mm 214270 --- Sub 41mm 124060 —-
GeoffEff is offline   Reply With Quote