The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 November 2018, 12:51 PM   #61
vernplum
Banned

Watch: Hulk
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001305801486
vernplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:07 PM   #62
Rilz
"TRF" Member

I do not think this is real, how did the dealer even get so many, i'm guessing it's Photoshop.
Rilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:08 PM   #63
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilz View Post
I do not think this is real, how did the dealer even get so many, i'm guessing it's Photoshop.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:08 PM   #64
Off Script
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernplum View Post
Thanks for finally posting the Grey. Three pages-for Pete's sake! Was it a secret or something
Off Script is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:10 PM   #65
peterpl
Banned

Cally watch are a big gray dealer in HK. Many many more like them. I cant see the picture as I dont use facebook but I'm just going by the tags in the comments section
Old 10 November 2018, 01:15 PM   #66
vernplum
Banned

Watch: Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Script View Post
Thanks for finally posting the Grey. Three pages-for Pete's sake! Was it a secret or something
I am sure the grey is happy to have more exposure, and folks on TRF want to know. The pictures are watermarked, so I just searched FB and bingo.

To echo others from numerous other threads, there is clearly no shortage of supply.

This makes me frustrated and a bit angry, but I have to remind myself there are bigger problems than me not being able to obtain a luxury watch I want. Oh well... :/
vernplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:26 PM   #67
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Well let’s get beyond the obvious life lessons most have figured out like, “Life isn’t fair”, “there are no rules in life”, “those with the gold makes the rules”, “money makes things happen”, “life is a competition even if you choose not to compete”, etc... Dealers are in business to make money first. How they get paid boils down to risk and reward. Selling to the consumer can be more of a aggravation than to a grey dealer so it’s not surprising many have a arrangement with solid grey dealers. How the consumer chooses to get their watch will probably be how determined and aggressive they pursue it. Getting on a AD list only makes sense if you know the dealer is honoring the list and not slipping your watch to a bigger spender. Refer to the top list of rules.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:26 PM   #68
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Cally watch are a big gray dealer in HK. Many many more like them. I cant see the picture as I dont use facebook but I'm just going by the tags in the comments section
And their website is crap unless you happen to like Yacht-Masters

https://cally-watch.com/portfolio/rolex/
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:28 PM   #69
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
And their website is crap unless you happen to like Yacht-Masters

https://cally-watch.com/portfolio/rolex/
All gray dealers website sucks except for DavidSW. LOL

They always have huge amount of stock. If your in HK go see for yourself. They are nice guys.
Old 10 November 2018, 02:46 PM   #70
praveen
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 39 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
All gray dealers website sucks except for DavidSW. LOL

LOL. True that
praveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 03:05 PM   #71
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmarsenille View Post
I am trying to think of another industry where similar practices occur, and I am struggling. Any ideas?
The Porsche GT3 and GT3 RS are allocation models (among others, I just am familiar with those two).

Some dealers sell them to established customers at MSRP. These customers have a purchase record and will likely buy more in the future.

Some dealers sell them at a markup to whomever will pay.

For those who buy at MSRP, the dealers are aware that some buyers sell for a profit. In fact, after a friend bought a GT3, the used car sales portion of that dealer offered to buy back at tens of thousands above MSRP immediately!
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 03:05 PM   #72
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
That photo of all the grey stock makes me angry.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 03:21 PM   #73
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
The Porsche GT3 and GT3 RS are allocation models (among others, I just am familiar with those two).

Some dealers sell them to established customers at MSRP. These customers have a purchase record and will likely buy more in the future.

Some dealers sell them at a markup to whomever will pay.

For those who buy at MSRP, the dealers are aware that some buyers sell for a profit. In fact, after a friend bought a GT3, the used car sales portion of that dealer offered to buy back at tens of thousands above MSRP immediately!
yeah but the Porsche gt3 died quickly once the new one came out. But i remember when the 991 gt3 came out it was crazy
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 03:33 PM   #74
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
How many ADs are actually grey sellers as well? There's one I've worked with that I highly suspect. Uh oh.

I think it's great - good for them, but won't last.
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 03:52 PM   #75
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately it is the way the market runs these days. The most successful way to retail is omni- channel. A B&M establishment with a great website and social media presence. That is true for any type of product being sold from clothes to cars to watches.
One thing I really believe to be true is there is too much product of almost everything in the market. Too many cars, flat screens, sports clothes the list is endless.the Grey dealer has a very interesting business model, discount new or nearly new product at a price it will sell for and at the same time anything that is hard to get- apply a premium to. It annoys me no end I can’t go into an AD where I bought my first DJ from nearly 40 years ago and buy a new Pepsi GMT. I’m talked to in a dismissive tone by a sales assistant like I’m wasting my breath. The same assistant who would be falling over me if I wante an DJ41.
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 04:53 PM   #76
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
let's see how long before the bubble bursts, especially for the BLRO, once the new Basel releases are announced.
Generally, the "hotter" and item is, the more precipitous it's decline when it's no longer "in"

I understand for some buyers, there is only Rolex, but when a 116500 costs about the same as an AP ROC, I know which way I'd swing...
Old 10 November 2018, 11:28 PM   #77
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Is it just me, or does it make sense that a dealer would have that many on hand?

If their goal is selling Rolexes then it appears they have a poor “close the deal” ratio - else there wouldn’t be that much on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agree. That much stock means sales are lacking.

I'm now seeing SS in stock at the AD's I visit. The grey prices are marked so high right now it will cost the same to buy from the AD, tax included. There is zero incentive to buy grey in this market.

The question this raises - Is the SS bubble getting ready to pop?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 11:31 PM   #78
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
How many ADs are actually grey sellers as well? There's one I've worked with that I highly suspect. Uh oh.

I think it's great - good for them, but won't last.
This i think i see on 1 site in my country aswell, a few dudes that have shitloads of Rolex memorablia for sale but also quite a lot of hot selling watches… they are not trusted sellers or named grey market dealers but are trading via a free platform anyway this might be ADs for sure!
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 11:35 PM   #79
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

5 years ago everybody loved the grey dealers.... 😄
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 11:37 PM   #80
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Agree. That much stock means sales are lacking.

I'm now seeing SS in stock at the AD's I visit. The grey prices are marked so high right now it will cost the same to buy from the AD, tax included. There is zero incentive to buy grey in this market.

Yes it is. My guess will be after Christmas. You know I was just at an event at a Rolex AD that had a sub, sub date and a ss gmt. 1000 wined and dined rich people and those watches never sold at that event. I was very surprised. Greys are sitting on a lot of stock that the paid too much for.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 11:39 PM   #81
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Grey deal stocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

The number of individuals with enough excess disposable income to buy multiple high-end Swiss watches is declining methinks. The demographics are changing, too.

Other indicators like demand for high-end homes (above $500k), yachts, 2nd vacation homes, etc are also dropping.

These indicators were likely foreseen by Rolex - and then confirmed after Richemont had to buy back $400+million in stock from their dealers. https://www.theguardian.com/business...buyback-policy

Remember the reason they did that was to support retail prices after demand shrunk. Rolex strategy is just a different way to keep MSRP support high - ADs can point to the strong secondary market to overcome price objections.

I can close my eyes and hear them say, “This is a great investment”.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 11:43 PM   #82
benvh
"TRF" Member

It's why I said screw it and got a BB 58. I'll wait until both new & used Rolex come back closer to reality. Until then, I'm happy!

Ben
benvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 11:46 PM   #83
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The number of individuals with enough excess disposable income to buy multiple high-end Swiss watches is declining methinks. The demographics are changing, too.

Other indicators like demand for high-end homes (above $500k), yachts, 2nd vacation homes, etc are also dropping.

These indicators were likely foreseen by Rolex - and then confirmed after Richemont had to buy back $400+million in stock from their dealers. https://www.theguardian.com/business...buyback-policy

Remember the reason they did that was to support retail prices after demand shrunk. Rolex strategy is just a different way to keep MSRP support high - ADs can point to the strong secondary market to overcome price objections.

I can close my eyes and hear them say, “This is a great investment”.

Rolex effectively drove grey prices up to MSRP. Now, David and others are sitting on stock that will sell for what you pay at your AD.

I see a lot of discounts coming at the greys. They can't sit on that overpriced stock forever. This is a good time to patient.
Old 11 November 2018, 12:07 AM   #84
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
DavidSW has many BNIB TT DJ41’s for 2k under MSRP, so the deals are still out there with him and many Greys... just sayin
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 12:16 AM   #85
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
DavidSW has many BNIB TT DJ41’s for 2k under MSRP, so the deals are still out there with him and many Greys... just sayin
He has a bunch of SS DJ's at $4-500 under retail. With tax, I pay the same at the AD.

I don't know about your AD, but mine is still discounting TT & PM.

David does have a sale going now. Some decent deals on Tudor.
Old 11 November 2018, 12:22 AM   #86
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejmann View Post
5 years ago everybody loved the grey dealers.... 😄
Still love my Grey Dealer. He is my unauthorized AD and we have done many deals and I get good pricing since I have been with him a long time.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 12:25 AM   #87
fiebru1119
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatchy View Post
The answer to this is simple: Grays don't proclaim themselves as grays to their AD's. They simply seem like really good clients to the dealer, so they get top priority.

Most AD's have waiting lists on watches... who gets to be atop those lists? Those that have spent the most with the store.

As an AD myself, I can tell you that we've severed relationships with established "clients" after learning... sometimes months or years later... that they are flipping their purchases. But this can be difficult to police, unless in the OP's case, they share it all over social media.

While I take your point, I have a hard time believing ADs are treating these guys as average Joe’s. How many watches have we seen ourselves here on TRF with plastics intact, unnamed warranty cards, etc. That’s a big no-no-heck I requested they leave the glide clasp sticker on when I bought my LVc at an AD and it was a hard “no”.
fiebru1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 12:27 AM   #88
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quamby View Post
Once again, let's direct our anger to Rolex SA. They are the real guilty party in this. The greys are just doing what they have always done.

I remember when Grey market dealers were the place to get pre-owned or discontinued models....not brand new pieces. So no, it hasn’t always been like this...it’s a new phenomena from the past year or two only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 01:47 AM   #89
CK9366
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712G & 5205G
Rolex AD always tell no stocks !! But grey dealer full range of stocks + many pcs on hand .
Rolex head office shall investigate which AD tag team with grey dealer to slaughter consumer !! 😡
CK9366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 02:23 AM   #90
Quamby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK9366 View Post
Rolex AD always tell no stocks !! But grey dealer full range of stocks + many pcs on hand .
Rolex head office shall investigate which AD tag team with grey dealer to slaughter consumer !! 😡
Rolex has a good idea who the big grey dealers are, in Hongkong at least.
Quamby is offline   Reply With Quote