The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 November 2018, 01:19 AM   #31
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabaang View Post
please provide more info... As somebody who is self diagnosed with a nickel allergy I need to buy special belts because the buckles in most belts have nickel. I would develop a rash like patch right where the belt buckle was rubbing against my stomach.

What does your reaction look like? Is it a rash? where is it? under the rolex? near it? Details please.
I have the same problem with belts or change in my pockets. With belts, I have to buy expensive ones and pray for the best.
The rash is under the clasp, and is exactly like the nickel allergy rash I get with other metal items. I wore the watch on both wrists at times the last 2 weeks and it developed more on the wrist I wore it less often on, for some reason. At this point, I really can’t tell if it is from my nickel allergy, or something else I just happened to develop at the same time. Today, it seems less aggressive and doesn’t seem to bother me. I hope it just clears up. I can’t imagine it will stay long, but who knows.
T.Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 04:03 PM   #32
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Well that would suck
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 05:49 PM   #33
bob78h
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
I have the same issue, for me it happens where the bracelet links touch my wrist. No issues with the clasp or case back (*knock on wood). I've noticed it usually happens when its warm out and my wrist gets a little sweaty. I try to preemptively open the easy link if I know I'll be sweating, but that only helps a little. I'll also take my watch off periodically throughout the day to let that area breathe. I'm dealing with it for now, but considering getting a vintage piece before they switched to 904L if I find one that I like.

It sounds like you may be more sensitive to nickel than I am since I don't have issues with change or belts. I'd consider wearing the bracelet a little loose or trying a RubberB/Everest/leather strap. And definitely take some time off wearing it if there is a rash--I heard somewhere that you can increase your sensitivity to nickel over time if you keep wearing it.
bob78h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 10:28 PM   #34
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob78h View Post
I have the same issue, for me it happens where the bracelet links touch my wrist. No issues with the clasp or case back (*knock on wood). I've noticed it usually happens when its warm out and my wrist gets a little sweaty. I try to preemptively open the easy link if I know I'll be sweating, but that only helps a little. I'll also take my watch off periodically throughout the day to let that area breathe. I'm dealing with it for now, but considering getting a vintage piece before they switched to 904L if I find one that I like.

It sounds like you may be more sensitive to nickel than I am since I don't have issues with change or belts. I'd consider wearing the bracelet a little loose or trying a RubberB/Everest/leather strap. And definitely take some time off wearing it if there is a rash--I heard somewhere that you can increase your sensitivity to nickel over time if you keep wearing it.
Those are good tips. Thank you. It’s weird, it’s definitely less aggressive than my normal nickel reactions. I plan on pushing through. No chance I am getting rid of this amazing timepiece.
Old 16 November 2018, 10:58 PM   #35
77T
2024 Pledge Member

One thing to consider is contact dermatitis from something in between the links. You mentioned a possible connection to a cleaning solution in your first post.

If you have a steam cleaner, go ahead and hit the bracelet with good strong steam shots.

To be safe, remove the head and give it a regular wash with mild clear liquid soap and hot water with a soft brush. Especially the underside where lingering residues might be present.

Rolex “names” its own SS alloy but it is essentially 904. It is possible that some revised forging and stamping processes has made a difference for those with existing nickel allergies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 11:02 PM   #36
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Time to buy a Titanium case watch (or possibly a gold watch)...

Grand Seiko has the largest selection I think if you are open minded enough for the brand...How about a SBGE015?

Gold GMTs are cool too:)
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 06:58 PM   #37
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

Quick update after owning the watch for 5 months now. I am definitely allergic to the watch, but am not as affected as with a cheap belt or zipper. I do have a constant small rash that goes away when I use cortisone cream, which I don’t want to do. I like the watch too much though at this point. I will just have to live with it. I never would have expected it before buying the watch.
Old 13 April 2019, 10:10 PM   #38
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
It happens to me and after a months is gone the allergy using everyday the watch a little bit more lose that I use to size the bracelet.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 12:08 AM   #39
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

I had rashes reaction when I first wear a stainless steel watch. After I gave the watch a good clean with baby wipes, the rashes went away.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote