The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 November 2018, 06:13 AM   #31
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasports View Post
I used to travel extensively, like 225 days/year, for a division of Swatch Group (the division that does the sports timing for Olympics and most other international timed events). We went to Brazil on many occasions but in one particular stretch I had 5 straight incidents where I was either mugged, robbed, room broken into etc. In one mugging right on Copacabana Beach they took my well-worn Tissot T-Touch, my prescription sunglasses, and my co-worker's beat up running shoes!

While Brazil remains the most dangerous place I visited (and looks like it's going to get much worse), there are many places where ANY watch (or anything of pawnable value whatsoever) is a target, including Mexico. I would absolutely NOT wear anything Rolex, Omega, Panerai, whatever. Even a big Seiko diver is screaming for assault. I always keep a few Swatches (not brightly colored ones) or Timex Ironmen in my drawer for any trip beyond North America or Western Europe.

Here in NA we take a helluva lot for granted and it's easy to overlook the fact that the rest of the world is in many cases a pretty desperate place.
100% in agreement. I also add got to be careful in some places within Western Europe. One more comment; if they learn you are an American than anything you carry is now of value. The US is just a wonderful place. We even have forum for Expamsice watches such as Rolex and luxury cars
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 06:22 AM   #32
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
Go pick up an Apple watch. I would not wear anything of any real value anywhere in Mexico.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 06:54 AM   #33
AGT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
16710 ln.

This is in the collection but one of the shiniest watches I own. I need to brush the PCLs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 07:14 AM   #34
AGT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoshop View Post
100% in agreement. I also add got to be careful in some places within Western Europe. One more comment; if they learn you are an American than anything you carry is now of value. The US is just a wonderful place. We even have forum for Expamsice watches such as Rolex and luxury cars

Luckily, I look borderline broke and homeless. Unfortunately, you are all making great points and I’m probably down to my Sinn or a Seiko. The Apple Watch makes sense but I spend a lot of time in the water...

My BMW motorbike is officially out of the equation now...

Thanks all. Your comments are appreciated...

SE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 07:36 AM   #35
doramas
Banned

Explorer 36mm or Submariner/nato
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 09:40 AM   #36
Major69
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusp23 View Post
Take something that won’t hurt if you lose it or it is stolen
This

It’s not about what will get noticed or not. The answer is; which watch would you hand over? For me, it’s a $19.99 Walmart digital watch.
Major69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 10:03 AM   #37
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
Go pick up an Apple watch. I would not wear anything of any real value anywhere in Mexico.
You're kidding right? An Apple watch will get you knocked off in a heartbeat, arguably faster than a Rolex. Plus, buy an old iPhone4 or some other obsolete but functionally useable cellphone that has "come and gone" even in places like Mexico..."embarrasingly obsolete" to us is often front-line technology in other countries.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 10:10 AM   #38
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
What about a Grand Seiko GMT? Either the Spring Drive with the rotating bezel (SBGE201) or the very versatile Hi Beat GMT (SBGJ201). I think both are very underrated and could fly under the radar in most areas. And if you get an older model (before the separation of GS as a standalone brand), they still have SEIKO at the 3-o'clock position and are even more low-key if someone's looking at them.

Food for thought...
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 10:23 AM   #39
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
A robust Seiko on a nato band will get the job done in style and at low risk.

Maybe pack one nice watch for special occasions because 18 months is a long time away from your collection.
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 10:52 AM   #40
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Just read that on the website linked in post #20:

« Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches »

Old 16 November 2018, 11:03 AM   #41
Rilz
"TRF" Member

I'm going to go for Sub.
Rilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 11:16 AM   #42
Nick M
"TRF" Member

Anything more than a Casio seems like unnecessary risk.
Old 16 November 2018, 11:20 AM   #43
Jambon-Fromage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I used to travel extensively, like 225 days/year, for a division of Swatch Group (the division that does the sports timing for Olympics and most other international timed events). We went to Brazil on many occasions but in one particular stretch I had 5 straight incidents where I was either mugged, robbed, room broken into etc. In one mugging right on Copacabana Beach they took my well-worn Tissot T-Touch, my prescription sunglasses, and my co-worker's beat up running shoes!

While Brazil remains the most dangerous place I visited (and looks like it's going to get much worse), there are many places where ANY watch (or anything of pawnable value whatsoever) is a target, including Mexico. I would absolutely NOT wear anything Rolex, Omega, Panerai, whatever. Even a big Seiko diver is screaming for assault. I always keep a few Swatches (not brightly colored ones) or Timex Ironmen in my drawer for any trip beyond North America or Western Europe.

Here in NA we take a helluva lot for granted and it's easy to overlook the fact that the rest of the world is in many cases a pretty desperate place.
This.

I am from Brazil and live in the US. From what I see (and my Mexican friends say), Mexico is very similar to Brazil when it comes to urban violence.

Honestly, the best option is no watch. The less possessions you show, the better. They will rob even a fake quartz digital watch.

If you really really want to bring a watch, I’d say Casio or Seiko 5.

Someone suggested Apple Watch but this is even worse, as Apple Watch is very easily recognized and muggers love electronics (easier for them to sell).

When I tell my friends in New York that you might get shot because of a cell phone, they are in disbelief.
Jambon-Fromage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 11:27 AM   #44
Jambon-Fromage
"TRF" Member

I am from Brazil and currently live in the US.
From what I see, Mexico is pretty similar to Brazil when it comes to urban violence.

Your best option is no watch. If you’re picked, they’ll rob even a fake quartz digital watch. If you really want to wear a watch, bring a Casio or a Seiko. It’s exactly what I bring when I go visit my family in Brazil.

Someone said Apple Watch, but I think this would attract more attention than a Rolex. It’s easily recognized and easy to sell. Robbers love electronics.
Jambon-Fromage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 12:17 PM   #45
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Depending on where you are located while working it could be fine or not. I would use this as an chance to pick up a Seiko Turtle or other sturdy non-flashy watch. See how the area and work are and adjust. The Seiko will work in an overall collection and can be worn on a bracelet, NATO or leather.
A bright Blue and Red, Dayglow Orange or head turning Blue watch ain't flashy? I'd feel like a 'marked man' wearing those watches in some places.

I'm referring to the watches pictured in post 18.

Just my opinion of course, but low key would be a Sub on NATO, or Black Explorer or similar. Hell, I felt ostentatious wearing my TT Blue Sub.

Whatever the OP chooses, I just hope He's careful. No watch is worth getting hurt over.

Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 12:34 PM   #46
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttechdoc View Post
Black dial Explorer II or GMT Master II would be my vote. Both can be discrete yet have useful date and GMT complications since you'll be away from the states.
Both incredible choices. I’d vote Explorer II only because the GMT is a bit blingier. I love my BLNR and my partner’s Exp II so there’s no wrong choice.

Last, depending on where you’ll be in Mexico discretion and low key may be the best bet.

Good luck and enjoy your adventure!
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 01:55 PM   #47
BakerView
"TRF" Member

Watch: that I'm Jonesin 4
Mexico?....
Luminox Dress Field 1831. Quartz for great time keeping, durable as a tank, highly luminous, classic enough to dress up or down without being overly flashy, and your heart won't fall through your stomach when someone steals it from you.
Have been taking Luminox divers south of the border for years and years. Don't jeopardize a quality timepiece. It's not a matter of IF but WHEN it's stolen.....
If you must, then the Expl I or 14060 on an Everest band.

The watch you give up today for the next grail may one day become your grail:
Rolex:116520, 16570, 216570, 116710LN, 16610LV, 16700, 116600
Panerai:PAM176, PAM1024, PAM88
Breitling:6.75, Aerospace x2, Chrono 44 GMT, Blackbird/utc, Bentley GT
IWC:3717.
BakerView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 03:20 PM   #48
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I would recommend a ND sub, GMT Master II 16710 (not the ceramic because PCL too flashy) with black aluminum bezel (not Pepsi or Coke), or the speedy.

Biggest reason for older GMT is the quick time zone shift function for when you travel. If you don't travel much outside that time zone, I would say Speedmaster on SS bracelet or ND sub on bracelet.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 10:19 PM   #49
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
You're kidding right? An Apple watch will get you knocked off in a heartbeat, arguably faster than a Rolex. Plus, buy an old iPhone4 or some other obsolete but functionally useable cellphone that has "come and gone" even in places like Mexico..."embarrasingly obsolete" to us is often front-line technology in other countries.
Agree completely with this. I would definitely NOT wear an Apple Watch down there. Do you want to get killed over a $300 watch?

The point is, wear a watch the is NOT widely known, that does NOT appear valuable. Last time I was in Mexico I wore my Garmin Forerunner $99 running watch.

I have a Tudor Black Bay I use for travel but honestly I'm not sure I would wear it in Mexico. I wore it in DR without thinking twice about it, but Mexico is a different story. As others have pointed out, the police corruption there is just unreal. You are more likely to get jacked by the cops than you are by the citizens.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 10:57 PM   #50
javier
"TRF" Member

Explorer 114270
javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 03:30 AM   #51
BakerView
"TRF" Member

Watch: that I'm Jonesin 4
I saw this and would mirror the recommend of the Explorer I. It's low key, slightly smaller diameter and has a 'general watch' look to it, but you know the quality. If you had to take a Sub I would try not to take one with the magnifying lense; that tips it off as a Rolex from a distance. If it's insured all the better. Just hand it over if it is demanded and get another.
Your best bet is to know when to stuff your wrist into your pocket or take the watch off altogether. Good luck. I loved having a good wrist companion with me on my adventures.

The watch you give up today for the next grail may one day become your grail:
Rolex:116520, 16570, 216570, 116710LN, 16610LV, 16700, 116600
Panerai:PAM176, PAM1024, PAM88
Breitling:6.75, Aerospace x2, Chrono 44 GMT, Blackbird/utc, Bentley GT
IWC:3717.
BakerView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 03:48 AM   #52
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Sub would be the worst choice imo. Go with a seiko skx or something similar. If you must, the pam might be okay.

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 03:58 AM   #53
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Five digit sub on nato sounds perfect to me
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 05:31 AM   #54
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

I have to travel to Argentina, Brazil, and Mexico frequently for work. I think almost any Rolex (on NATO or otherwise) is recognizable. I purchased a Nomos Club Neomatik to wear when I am in areas where I want to stay somewhat incognito.
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 08:13 AM   #55
spect
Banned

I would probably wear a G-shock.
spect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 08:43 AM   #56
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
My travel watch is an Explorer II; flies under the radar and is great as a GMT as well.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 08:57 AM   #57
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Unless you know where you will be heading to is fully safe, then G shock is a sensible choice.

If it’s Rolex, then exp1 on a rubber strap to dial it down to the minimum, plus perfect strap for the weather.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 08:57 AM   #58
vintageguy
"TRF" Member

Mexico travel watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
Just read that on the website linked in post #20:

« Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches »
++++++1. go to Walmart & buy a G-Shock for $50.
vintageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 09:07 AM   #59
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttechdoc View Post
Black dial Explorer II or GMT Master II would be my vote. Both can be discrete yet have useful date and GMT complications since you'll be away from the states.

Agreed.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 09:21 AM   #60
mixx23
Banned

I'm going to go for the sub.
mixx23 is offline   Reply With Quote