The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 November 2018, 10:36 PM   #1
roro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 216570
GMT 16710 with AR Cyclops?

Hi guys,

Haven't posted in a while but have been lurking. Didn't see much info on this topic so thought I'd ask.

Just picked up this beautiful 16710 GMT II D serial from 2005/2006 and noticed the cyclops had a lot less glare vs. my other 16710 from 2003. The magnification is also different and it has a slightly bluish tinge so I surmised that it must have the AR coating. However, I thought this didn't happen until the ceramic GMT's?

Then I thought it may be an aftermarket crystal but found the laser etched coronet at 6 o'clock.

Did Rolex equip some of the later 16710's with the AR coated cyclops?

Thanks for your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181115_125734.jpg (290.8 KB, 771 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181115_125543.jpg (289.0 KB, 775 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181115_134243.jpg (292.4 KB, 767 views)
roro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 11:48 PM   #2
marcotagudelo
"TRF" Member

Congrats!!! those colors POP

my now gone pepsi D series had AR coating in the crystal as well.

i purchased pre owned like yourself
marcotagudelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 02:03 AM   #3
roro
"TRF" Member

Hi Marco,
Thanks for the reply and kind remarks. I just can't get enough of the Pepsi! The colors are hypnotizing

This one is also a 1st gen. "stick dial" making it just a little more special (and I didn't pay any premium for it)

I'd be curious to know if all D serial and up 16710's have the AR coating. Hopefully some others will chime in.

Any regrets on selling your's?
Old 16 November 2018, 06:24 AM   #4
flyingtiger85
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date
cyclops are sometimes inconsistent. i LOVE the color though. great pickup. congrats!!
flyingtiger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 06:38 AM   #5
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

The 16710 crystal is exactly the same size and part number as the current ceramic Subs and GMT's. So you could have a replacement crystal with AR that is significantly newer than the watch itself.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 10:13 PM   #6
roro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKflyer View Post
The 16710 crystal is exactly the same size and part number as the current ceramic Subs and GMT's. So you could have a replacement crystal with AR that is significantly newer than the watch itself.
Hmm, could be but the coronet doesn't have an "s" in the crown opening so that potentially rules out a service crystal. Either way, I prefer this to the non AR coated one one since it greatly improves legibility. Marco posted earlier about his D serial having an AR cyclops so it may just be common. I would be curious to know how many others have 16710's with an AR cyclops.
Old 16 November 2018, 10:16 PM   #7
roro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtiger85 View Post
cyclops are sometimes inconsistent. i LOVE the color though. great pickup. congrats!!
Thanks Tiger. I am very happy with this latest acquisition

I agree with you. Cyclops tend to be all over the place. It reminds me of the time I was in the market for a Batman. I handled two of them side by side and they had noticeably different magnifications on the cyclops. I think there was a thread sometime back about this issue.

Does Rolex outsource their crystals? If so, that may explain the inconsistencies.
Old 16 November 2018, 11:38 PM   #8
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
Hmm, could be but the coronet doesn't have an "s" in the crown opening so that potentially rules out a service crystal.
Service parts are no longer marked with an 'S'. That includes crystals and bracelet clasps. If you recently purchased the watch and don't know the history then there's no way knowing if the crystal originally shipped with the watch or was recently replaced in service. Either is possible.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 02:14 AM   #9
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

what a beauty !
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 07:47 PM   #10
roro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Service parts are no longer marked with an 'S'. That includes crystals and bracelet clasps. If you recently purchased the watch and don't know the history then there's no way knowing if the crystal originally shipped with the watch or was recently replaced in service. Either is possible.
Yep, you're right. I just saw the thread about service crystals no longer marked with an "S" in the laser etched crown so no way of knowing. Actually I rather like the fact that the cyclops has AR. Makes it easier to read. This was a surprise I wasn't expecting when I received the watch.
Old 19 November 2018, 07:47 PM   #11
roro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtecko View Post
what a beauty !
Thanks Gtecko. I have to agree with you there

Here's another pic of this one. It hasn't come off my wrist yet (even at night when I can admire the lume).

The crown logo also lines up perfectly on the screw down crown. Its the little things that bring such joy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181116_134847.jpg (279.0 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181119_111014.jpg (268.8 KB, 538 views)
Old 19 November 2018, 10:19 PM   #12
Mezz72
"TRF" Member

this is pretty normal.
if the crystal is chipped and needs to be replaced, rsc would
replace it with an AR one. Not sure about the coronet though...
Mezz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 09:40 PM   #13
roro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezz72 View Post
this is pretty normal.
if the crystal is chipped and needs to be replaced, rsc would
replace it with an AR one. Not sure about the coronet though...
Right, but there's no evidence that this crystal was replaced. MARCOTAGUDELO also posted about his D serial with an AR cyclops (see post number 2). It may be that the AR crystals started showing up on D serials. That's what I'm trying to find out.

From my understanding, the laser etched coronet started showing up in 2003 and service crystals for a few years had sideways "S" marked inside the crown opening but this stopped sometime ago. This one doesn't have the "S" so it could go either way. Original or service crystal.

I would still like to know if any other D serial owners have an AR cyclops. Especially original owners who know the service history.
Old 20 November 2018, 09:49 PM   #14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yep, you're right. I just saw the thread about service crystals no longer marked with an "S" in the laser etched crown so no way of knowing. Actually I rather like the fact that the cyclops has AR. Makes it easier to read. This was a surprise I wasn't expecting when I received the watch.
Agreed. My current cyclops doesn't have AR underneath and I miss it. It's far easier to read with it than without. Next service I'll probably have the crystal swapped out.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 11:12 PM   #15
Chilly Coconut
Banned

The 16710 was never produced with AR coated crystals as original equipment.
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 12:21 AM   #16
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
I had the crystal replaced by RSC on my T serial 1997, it came back with AR crystal and LEC. Feels like a brand new watch, the job was perfect and the AR caught my eye when I picked it up, the date is very legible, there’s no S in the LEC.
Enjoy your watch.
Old 3 December 2018, 10:21 PM   #17
roro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollee1 View Post
I had the crystal replaced by RSC on my T serial 1997, it came back with AR crystal and LEC. Feels like a brand new watch, the job was perfect and the AR caught my eye when I picked it up, the date is very legible, there’s no S in the LEC.
Enjoy your watch.
Thanks rollee1 for your input. As this watch was bought second hand, I don't know the service history. It could very well be a service crystal. Anyway, its better with than without.
Old 3 December 2018, 10:23 PM   #18
roro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Coconut View Post
The 16710 was never produced with AR coated crystals as original equipment.
And this information comes from which source?
Old 4 December 2018, 01:58 AM   #19
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It’s a service replacement crystal, all legitimate.

I’ve actually had a couple of mine changed because it’s easier to read the date with the AR coating. You will also get the LEC at the same time.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 02:41 AM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Hi Marco,
Thanks for the reply and kind remarks. I just can't get enough of the Pepsi! The colors are hypnotizing

This one is also a 1st gen. "stick dial" making it just a little more special (and I didn't pay any premium for it)

I'd be curious to know if all D serial and up 16710's have the AR coating. Hopefully some others will chime in.

Any regrets on selling your's?
Nothing special about stick dials just a simple font change like the hundreds of others over the past 50 odd years.At one time on the net it was proclaimed it was a error dial, and all these would have a cal 3186 inside .But like many things about Rolex watches on the net it was complete and utter boswellocks but many today buy this hyped net boswellocks.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 02:44 AM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Hmm, could be but the coronet doesn't have an "s" in the crown opening so that potentially rules out a service crystal. Either way, I prefer this to the non AR coated one one since it greatly improves legibility. Marco posted earlier about his D serial having an AR cyclops so it may just be common. I would be curious to know how many others have 16710's with an AR cyclops.
Rolex no longer have the S in service dials.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 11 December 2018, 08:52 AM   #22
roro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Nothing special about stick dials just a simple font change like the hundreds of others over the past 50 odd years.At one time on the net it was proclaimed it was a error dial, and all these would have a cal 3186 inside .But like many things about Rolex watches on the net it was complete and utter boswellocks but many today buy this hyped net boswellocks.
Thanks Padi for your opinion. I'll give you mine: One man's boswellocks is another man's unique and collectible dial. These Rolex anomalies, whether they be feet first Submariners, Bart Simpson crowns, fat 4 inserts, Patrizi dial Daytonas, exclamation point dials, radial dial GMTs, stick dials and various other "crazyness" are one of the reasons many collectors are on this forum IMO. To learn together and share the knowledge about the finer details. This is what makes collecting fun and interesting IMHO. No need to rain on our parade Mr. Moderator

P.S. I very much enjoy reading your insights on the intricate details of the movements.
Old 11 December 2018, 10:54 AM   #23
bjw
"TRF" Member

I also have a 16710 GMT II D serial from 2005/2006 (Coke) and it has a stick dial as well. Mine definitely does not have an AR.
Tudor 79220N
Tudor 79260P Panda

"Opinions are like wrist watches, everyone's shows different time from the other. But all believe that theirs is accurate. "
bjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 10:58 AM   #24
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Sticks and no AR here.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 12:48 PM   #25
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
From what I've read.
GMT 16710s weren’t produced with AR cyclops. Same goes for the engraved rehaut.

Near the end of the road Sub 16610s did get the AR cyclops. My M serial Sub doesn’t have the AR. It started with the V series (2008) or so.

http://thegreengmthand.com/about/use...iglare_cyclops
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 07:30 PM   #26
roro
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for chiming in. BJW, Onikage, lets see some pics! Thanks jaiseonline for the interesting link.

Evidence points to a potential service crystal on this D serial. I have a K serial 16710 without the AR crystal and comparing the two, the AR is a definite improvement. Both have the laser etched crown. I wear the D serial exclusively. I must say, I prefer the fonts and printing on the stick dial. The printing is somehow sharper and finer. I'll try to do a side by side pic soon.
Old 11 December 2018, 08:05 PM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Thanks Padi for your opinion. I'll give you mine: One man's boswellocks is another man's unique and collectible dial. These Rolex anomalies, whether they be feet first Submariners, Bart Simpson crowns, fat 4 inserts, Patrizi dial Daytonas, exclamation point dials, radial dial GMTs, stick dials and various other "crazyness" are one of the reasons many collectors are on this forum IMO. To learn together and share the knowledge about the finer details. This is what makes collecting fun and interesting IMHO. No need to rain on our parade Mr. Moderator

P.S. I very much enjoy reading your insights on the intricate details of the movements.
Looks like you have bought the internet hype to me like many of today's mainly internet hype collectors.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 11 December 2018, 09:00 PM   #28
roro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Looks like you have bought the internet hype to me like many of today's mainly internet hype collectors.
Nope. Just a dial configuration I prefer. I didn't pay a premium. Don't see how that fits your definition of a "hype collector".
Old 11 December 2018, 11:34 PM   #29
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I don't have any technical expertise, but I do think I remember reading when the GMT2c came out, it was the first GMT to have the AR feature on the cyclops.

But, regardless, you have a beautiful watch to enjoy and treasure for many years. Congrats!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 02:38 AM   #30
roro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I don't have any technical expertise, but I do think I remember reading when the GMT2c came out, it was the first GMT to have the AR feature on the cyclops.

But, regardless, you have a beautiful watch to enjoy and treasure for many years. Congrats!
Thank you watchwatcher

I will do exactly that! This thing hasn't come off my wrist yet and my other watches are all very sad

Concerning the cyclops, a link to some interesting info was posted by jaisonline: http://thegreengmthand.com/about/use...iglare_cyclops