The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 15 January 2020, 12:44 AM   #5641
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
Well... that one was pretty obvious. Just need to look at the font used for the date. Plus 15, 30, 45 markers, etc.

I don’t know the history here, so don’t want to judge. But again, this one wasn’t very hard to spot.

Cheers,
Joe
The sad part of this, if it’s indeed a fake, is this member is now banned and is dealing with the fact that he got scammed.

Now he’s got no money and no help.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 12:52 AM   #5642
Tolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
The sad part of this, if it’s indeed a fake, is this member is now banned and is dealing with the fact that he got scammed.

Now that you put it like that - it does seem a little unfair.
Tolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 12:53 AM   #5643
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Again, personally I don’t know the history here. But how do the forum know that he got scammed? Again, the caseback/movement would have given it away right away. Especially if one is familiar with other Panerai’s.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 15 January 2020, 01:25 AM   #5644
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:

Half a dozen members congratulated him on a beautiful watch, 1 says it’s fake, and he’s instantly banned!?

Unless we’re missing something pretty significant behind the curtain, that seems totally unfair to me. Again, as you mentioned, if it is fake (I don’t know enough about PAM) and he didn’t know, wouldn’t this be the place to help him figure next steps out. The guy had over 20k posts and has been a forum member for more than a decade!?

This is weird.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 02:03 AM   #5645
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
Again, personally I don’t know the history here. But how do the forum know that he got scammed? Again, the caseback/movement would have given it away right away. Especially if one is familiar with other Panerai’s.

Cheers,
Joe
I hear you. I do.

But a guy that’s been here that long, with that many posts...

I just find it difficult to believe he would try and pull a fast one on the collective knowledge of the forum.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 02:19 AM   #5646
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I hear you. I do.

I just find it difficult to believe he would try and pull a fast one on the collective knowledge of the forum.
Have to agree, that just doesn’t add up.

Perhaps Nick will be allowed to respond ...

He has quite a collection of Rolex and Panerai so I’m assuming IF it is a fake he does not know it.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 02:25 AM   #5647
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Half a dozen members congratulated him on a beautiful watch, 1 says it’s fake, and he’s instantly banned!?

Unless we’re missing something pretty significant behind the curtain, that seems totally unfair to me. Again, as you mentioned, if it is fake (I don’t know enough about PAM) and he didn’t know, wouldn’t this be the place to help him figure next steps out. The guy had over 20k posts and has been a forum member for more than a decade!?

This is weird.
Quote:
I hear you. I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Have to agree, that just doesn’t add up.

Perhaps Nick will be allowed to respond ...

He has quite a collection of Rolex and Panerai so I’m assuming IF it is a fake he does not know it.

I'm with these guys.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 02:46 AM   #5648
mic6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116718 green
Principal forum rule: You post a fake, you get banned. Rest is philosophy.

BTW the guy posts fake Pams (I have spotted at least two) on paneristi.com as well, I hope he gets banned there too.
Old 15 January 2020, 02:53 AM   #5649
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I’m shocked - genuinely shocked!

I’ve always considered nick to be one of the good guys.

Although we’ve never met in person (be honest, how many of us have?) I always respected & enjoyed his contributions to the forum & always thought if him as a well respected member.

He has some beautiful watches & I’ve complimented him on his pictures of them many times previously, especially his Pam372 which is probably the most famous one on the net!

Feels like a part of my extended virtual watch family just left the building...

Cant help feeling a little sad about it all & just don’t know what to think really...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 03:00 AM   #5650
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Do I want to become a pledge member now? Considering I havent in this past. This banning of a veteran member makes me think otherwise.

SM-N960U
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 03:10 AM   #5651
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic6 View Post

BTW the guy posts fake Pams (I have spotted at least two) on paneristi.com as well, I hope he gets banned there too.
I don't know Panerai well enough to comment on Nicks watch but for the purpose of education can you please share with the forum why you believe it's a fake?
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 03:17 AM   #5652
Cru Jones

Quote:

Compared to the many great contributions, messages and thoughts of Nick throughout the years, I find your couple of recent inflammatory and totally unsubstantiated "that's a fake!" messages not to carry much weight, but, I suppose that just my philosophy.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 03:22 AM   #5653
mic6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Compared to the many great contributions, messages and thoughts of Nick throughout the years, I find your couple of recent inflammatory and totally unsubstantiated "that's a fake!" messages not to carry much weight, but, I suppose that just my philosophy.
A fake is a fake. Contributions, messages and thoughts on the forum don't make it less fake.
Old 15 January 2020, 03:58 AM   #5654
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
I definitely think this guy was pretty well versed in panerai looking at all his contributions. From the fakes I have seen the movement was a sure give away. But to his defense you hope he didn't get scammed.He also posts on AP forum ,has anyone looked at those watches to see if they were legit?
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 04:08 AM   #5655
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
I definitely think this guy was pretty well versed in panerai looking at all his contributions. From the fakes I have seen the movement was a sure give away. But to his defense you hope he didn't get scammed.He also posts on AP forum ,has anyone looked at those watches to see if they were legit?
I think that’s what we were saying above. Nick has quite a collection of various brands ... I just don’t see him knowingly posting a fake.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 05:04 AM   #5656
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
New Rule: Get back to better days on TRF where people had a passion for Watches and sharing information. Sure sharing jokes, things that happen in our lives, common hobbies etc. but things are getting Weird Around Here.

If you see something that doesn't belong simply report it and move on. If you are a monitor look at the item reported, make the call and move on. IMHO

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 05:06 AM   #5657
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:

A rule is a rule, I am generally the first to support having and following rules.

However, at least once a month on the Rolex section, some one posts a watch and says “so and so” might buy this watch, or did buy the watch or was given the watch from a relative, etc. and I’d like to know if it’s fake?

Probably half the time it’s fake.

Everyone says it’s fake, the thread eventually gets locked, and the OP is NOT banned.

So in this case, you change a couple words around to say “I already bought this watch”, someone else says it’s fake, bam, you’re banned.

It just doesn’t seem like it adds up. But again, very possible there’s more to the story and history of the member. I didn’t know him and wasn’t familiar with his collection and history here.

I suppose it’d be a nice courtesy to the rest of us to know if this guy was as just made an example of zero tolerance, or if there was more to the story. I don’t see how I could end up with a fake watch and not know about it, but it’s definitely not impossible. I guess I’d like to know if TRF is a place to rely on for support, or at least if showing a picture once will 100% lead to my banishment.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 05:26 AM   #5658
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

A surprising development, for sure.

Would like to hear Nick’s side.

On the other hand, perhaps mods and nick had a private convo... and the mods felt he knowingly posted pics of fake?

Still would like to hear Nick’s story...
Old 15 January 2020, 06:08 AM   #5659
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Long story short, several years ago when I first started to really collect watches, I bought a Cartier ( I know, don't flame me) from Ebay. It had the original box and looked 100% legit. After getting the watch, I didn't like it and decided to flip it for sale here on TRF.

A day after I posted it, some one posted they felt it was a fake. I didn't argue but asked why and they showed pics similar to the ones here that outlined why. I took it to a dealer and they verified it was indeed a counterfit. I was pissed but took it as a learning experience. I kept the watch to remind me what not to do and fortunately haven't had an issue since.

So, I didn't get banned. It was an honest mistake and had no idea someone scammed me. I don't know Nick and have no idea why Steve quickly banned him but he must have had his reasons. As has been posted, if he was a savvy Panerai collector, it is doubtful he didn't know it was a fake but honestly can't say. If he did know, the punishment was warranted.

Is it a permanent ban or only for a period of time? It's odd I see members with "banned" under their avatars all the time and they are still posting so don't understand if that means gone, gone or ?

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 07:16 AM   #5660
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:

I am not sure how you get to keep posting these comments to basically get more people upset and continually get to attack a persons character with him not being able to defend himself here or with the mods. Somehow, you think you may have foiled a situation that our longstanding member probably got shafted buying a possible counterfeit, gives you the right to keep destroying the mans character. Why don't you lay off a bit.
Mods, is this right to let this continue.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 08:23 AM   #5661
Tolex
Banned

I guess this will remain a mystery to the public viewers.

Mic asks nick to post a pic of his case back - nick refuses to
I ask mic why it's fake for education - mic says he doesn't want to state why in public
I pm mic - no response.
Lol
Old 15 January 2020, 11:08 AM   #5662
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolex View Post
I guess this will remain a mystery to the public viewers.

Mic asks nick to post a pic of his case back - nick refuses to
I ask mic why it's fake for education - mic says he doesn't want to state why in public
I pm mic - no response.
Lol
They were taken down.
Old 15 January 2020, 11:23 AM   #5663
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
No Panerai being worn around here today ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15 January 2020, 11:48 AM   #5664
Tolex
Banned

Quote:
They were taken down.
What do you mean?
Old 15 January 2020, 12:27 PM   #5665
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What do you mean?
He posted the flaws, it was taken down by the mods I would assume.
Old 15 January 2020, 01:24 PM   #5666
waikeekee
"TRF" Member

I am still wearing my Q562 after 6 days. I am sure it’s a genuine Panerai and here’s why.

I have registered this Q562 for the extended Panerai warranty but was expired so no extension, another watch of my did managed to get the extension.

IMO - If Nick doesn’t wanna show the case back, he can show a screenshot of his 382. It might not be 100% foolproof but at least it is a good way to authenticate a Panerai watch. All case and serial numbers are unique. Waiting to hear Nick’s side of the story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
waikeekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 02:44 PM   #5667
Tolex
Banned

Quote:
He posted the flaws, it was taken down by the mods I would assume.
Did he? If so perhaps I'm mistaken. But this is what he replied me after I asked about the flaws in the last page

"Many spots but I will not comment on that in public. Easiest for him would be to show us a pic of the movement or his "box and papers". But he won't."

I didn't see any post of his after that - are you positive he posted something and it got taken down?
Old 15 January 2020, 03:32 PM   #5668
andresoler1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona 6263
Quote:
Did he? If so perhaps I'm mistaken. But this is what he replied me after I asked about the flaws in the last page

"Many spots but I will not comment on that in public. Easiest for him would be to show us a pic of the movement or his "box and papers". But he won't."

I didn't see any post of his after that - are you positive he posted something and it got taken down?

This is upsetting. It really is. But in response to your question, yes I read and saw all the posts stating and showing the flaws. There were 2 pictures. One of Nic’s watch and the other one of a genuine one. Hope this helps clarify.

andresoler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 03:43 PM   #5669
Tolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresoler1 View Post
This is upsetting. It really is. But in response to your question, yes I read and saw all the posts stating and showing the flaws. There were 2 pictures. One of Nic’s watch and the other one of a genuine one. Hope this helps clarify.

Thanks for the response
Old 15 January 2020, 03:57 PM   #5670
mic6
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes I did. But my post was removed by the mods because fake discussion is not allowed. I also got a pm by them.