The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 November 2019, 01:59 AM   #1
WWC
"TRF" Member
 
WWC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Home
Posts: 1,208
JLC 1552540 question

I read about the JLC master annual calendar with moon phase has a Rose gold and steel versions with the meteorite dial. This watch seems to be very unique as it differs from the silver dial that JLC uses for many of their watches.

When I found out the existence of this reference along with the steel version , I couldnít help but think why it was discontinued after which a short run since 2015.

Can anyone knowledgeable in the brand and in this model chime in?

Thanks
__________________
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST
Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167A-001
Rolex Cosmograph DAYTONA 116520 | Rolex Explorer 214270 | Rolex GMT Master II BLRO 16710 | Rolex Submariner LV 16610
Tudor Prince Oysterdate 90630
WWC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 05:40 AM   #2
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member
 
Skyrider01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Florida/Canada
Watch: Several
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWC View Post
I read about the JLC master annual calendar with moon phase has a Rose gold and steel versions with the meteorite dial. This watch seems to be very unique as it differs from the silver dial that JLC uses for many of their watches.

When I found out the existence of this reference along with the steel version , I couldnít help but think why it was discontinued after which a short run since 2015.

Can anyone knowledgeable in the brand and in this model chime in?

Thanks
I purchased the steel version on the left a couple years ago.

I was told that once JLC ran out of the supply of meteorite they had purchased, they would stop making the watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3237.jpg (120.6 KB, 100 views)
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 05:51 AM   #3
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: N/A
Posts: 143
They have to wait for another rock to fall from space.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 06:11 AM   #4
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member
 
Skyrider01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Florida/Canada
Watch: Several
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
They have to wait for another rock to fall from space.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 10:44 AM   #5
WWC
"TRF" Member
 
WWC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Home
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
I purchased the steel version on the left a couple years ago.



I was told that once JLC ran out of the supply of meteorite they had purchased, they would stop making the watch.


Excuse my ignorance but is the dial made out of the actual meteorite rock? I thought it was just a man made meteorite effect, unlike the Rolex Daytona and GMT Master one.

I also heard that the anthracite one has an extra coating that gives it the darker hue.
__________________
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST
Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167A-001
Rolex Cosmograph DAYTONA 116520 | Rolex Explorer 214270 | Rolex GMT Master II BLRO 16710 | Rolex Submariner LV 16610
Tudor Prince Oysterdate 90630
WWC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 01:49 PM   #6
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member
 
Skyrider01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Florida/Canada
Watch: Several
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWC View Post
Excuse my ignorance but is the dial made out of the actual meteorite rock? I thought it was just a man made meteorite effect, unlike the Rolex Daytona and GMT Master one.

I also heard that the anthracite one has an extra coating that gives it the darker hue.
Yes, the dial is made from an actual piece of meteorite.
And you are correct about the slate grey dial on the rose gold version.
It has a coating which gives it a darker color than the dial on the steel version.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 02:20 AM   #7
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: WA
Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Posts: 961
Lovely watch in person, and standard steel version is fantastic value. JLC really nailed a sweet spot with their Master Controls.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 08:31 PM   #8
WWC
"TRF" Member
 
WWC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Home
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
Lovely watch in person, and standard steel version is fantastic value. JLC really nailed a sweet spot with their Master Controls.


Youíre right! Unfortunately it was a short production stint and they only have a steel version with the silver dial on their current collection.

If I were to buy this one, I would have to go gray market and most likely second hand too!

The gold one might be a better deal as PM watches donít hold value as well.
__________________
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST
Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167A-001
Rolex Cosmograph DAYTONA 116520 | Rolex Explorer 214270 | Rolex GMT Master II BLRO 16710 | Rolex Submariner LV 16610
Tudor Prince Oysterdate 90630
WWC is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Banners Of The Month

Banners Of The Month
*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.