The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 December 2017, 06:18 AM   #1
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Icon1 AP ROO DIVER 15710 - Full Review : Macro Pic Heavy

AP ROO Diver Review 15710 (J series)

Dear forum friends,

Thanks to all the wonderful insights gained from reading the forum over the last couple of years I have decided one of my first few posts should hopefully be a good one and useful to anyone else on the fence looking to pick up an AP Diver.

My journey began almost one year to the day before I finally collected my watch from the AD.

I had my eye on the 15400, but whenever I tried it on in all dial colours, it just didn’t quite work for me, somehow being too dressy, despite of course originally being intended as a sports watch !

I had seen numerous photos of the Diver online & on the forum. Whilst it looked great on the rubber strap, the allure of the mesmerising AP bracelet was still so strong. One day however I figured I would give it a go and asked to try it on during one of my regular watch browsing trips in town.

It instantly grabbed me, like no other watch before. I knew then this would be the next addition to my collection.

Part of what attracted me to Audemars Piguet was both their ultra modern take on watch design, no doubt in part caused by the halo effect of their more avant garde pieces and cutting edge use of technologies & materials, as well as their esteemed tradition in high end watch making. The see through case back of the 15710 made it an easy choice for me compared to the 15703. It seems almost wrong somehow to hide that beauty unseen, by anymore than a few craftsmen and women in Le Brassus.

The juxtaposition between haute horology, in a chunky, immaculately finished, 300M water resistant sports case with one of the most versatile straps on any watch makes for a truly breathtaking piece.

The box

A delicious, lacquered green piano wood box. Not too large and not too small. It oozes class and quality. The inside is a simple leather pad with watch cushion, and the Gold AP branding on the inside lid.

The opening hinge and clasp work magnificently. A joy to open, and nothing less than one would expect from a world class manufacturer of luxury goods.

The watch - Aesthetic design

The case

Width - 42mm
Thickness - 14.1mm
WR - 300M

Where else to start than with the now legendary octagonal case. The polishing and brushing are to perfection. Even upon inspection with a loupe, no flaws are to be found. The upper most bezel surface has a horizontal brushed pattern, refracting the light in a rainbow sunburst effect.

The 8, white gold hexagonal screw heads, perfectly aligned, gleam against the sateen background of the brushed steel. Even the notch of the screws seem to be polished. The level of artisan mastery that has gone into crafting each of these tiny components simply cannot be underestimated. The screw heads sit perfectly evenly beneath the bezel surface by no more than 0.5mm, the edges of the screw holes reassuring sharply finished. I can easily see why AP will only repolish the bezel a limited number of times before it should be replaced in order to maintain the sharp edges and millimetre perfect fit with the screws holding the case together.

That the screws have both a technical function, as well as aesthetic purpose again just pays testament to what a groundbreaking piece of watch design this was when launched in its original format. Depending on the angle of the light, the screws can appear either darker or lighter than the surrounding bezel metal from the perfect polishing they exhibit.

The bezel has two more surface angles before sandwiching against the visible rubber gasket. The upper most of these polished, the lower brushed. One can only imagine the complexity of having two diametrically opposed surface finishes adjoining each other, again with a perfectly crisp separating line.

At certain angles the uppermost polished edge, like the screw heads, can appear to be almost black polished as all reflections can all but disappear.

The next part of the case sandwich is the rubber gasket, an essential component in ensuring the case water tightness. Due to the pressure exerted on it by the upper and lower layers of the case the rubber gasket bulges slightly to the periphery of the watch, giving yet another satisfying texture to run ones finger across when wearing.

The lower body of the watch consists of a caseback with sapphire display window, and the central case - again with a combination of brushed and polished surfaces.

The caseback is octagonal like the bezel above, all 8 edges matching the bezels orientation. The reverse heads of the screws, reveal they are in fact mini bolts, allowing for them to clamp the case together. They are not aligned on the reverse, allowing for the top head to stay dutifully lined up when tightened.

The lugs are drilled to make space for screws to pass through the plots which hold the watch head to the rubber strap. The edges of the brushed plots are sharp, in contrast to their flowing convex surface - perfectly, and seamlessly holding the case and strap together.

Boldly stemming from each right side lug, there are faceted crown guards providing both an aesthetic and functional purpose.

The dial

Featuring AP’s Méga Tapisserie dial, unlike the two smaller versions of this dial found on the RO lines, the Méga Tapisserie in the 15710 is stamped, not turned on the historic pantograph machines used by AP. The aesthetic benefits of both manufacturing methods can be debated, certainly the stamped dial carries less surface texture giving a clean look, whilst the turned version does carry more uniqueness and perhaps artistry as a result.

The applied white gold hour markers are filled with the AP lume, it gives a pleasing green glow under darkness but as often commented on by others, I can confirm it doesn’t glow as strongly, or as long as other watch brands. That said in dark enough conditions there is just enough light emitted well into the night to read the time. All three hands are lumed, as are the hour markers and minute markers on the internal rotating bezel. The white gold hands and markers are so highly reflective that even the smallest amount of ambient light in the dimmest of light conditions can render the watch face readable.

The minute markers line up identically with the internal rotating bezel. Topped by a luminescent triangle to clearly mark the start point of the dive timer.

There are 18 concentric circles which travel around the edge of the dial adjacent to the rotating bezel giving yet more surface textures to enthral the onlooker, whilst providing additional contrast to the applied hour markers making them easier to pick out at a glance.

The dial bears a simple date window with built in magnifier within the crystal itself. A simple and elegant alternative to the much popularised cyclops design favoured by other manufacturers.

The hands

Three luminescent hands indicate the passing seconds, minutes and hours. The hour hand has three strips of lume separated by highly polished white gold giving a pleasing thickness and impression of solidity. The difference in size and shape between the minute and hour hands makes it quick and easy to pick them apart at glance. Although, the ‘time telling’ angle isn’t quite as wide as as other watches.

The crystal

This is probably in part to the flat sapphire crystal, meaning the watch face needs to be pointing at least in the direction of the viewer to tell the time. The crystal protrudes slightly above the inner edge of the brushed bezel’s uppermost surface.

On the caseback, another antireflective sapphire crystal displays the wondrous 3120 Automatic movement. As previously mentioned this was a major factor for me (and that I wanted to buy new from an AD) in going for the 15710 over the 15703 which has the more interesting, artisanal, ‘wet-look’ pantograph turned dial.

The crowns

The two screw in crowns are surrounded by rubber hexagons. The three O’clock crown for winding, date and time setting. The second crown at the watches 10 O’clock position for adjusting the mono-directional internal dive timer bezel ring.

During operation, the bezel advances 1/60th of a turn with a soft, yet gratifying clunk. One doesn’t get the same ultra clean racheting impression as a Submariner external bezel. Nevertheless it still feels sturdy and precise. If the crown is rotated in the reverse direction it simply rotates freely giving a gentle clicking sound to alert the operator that it’s rotating in the wrong direction.

The rubber makes the crowns easy to grip, and also protects the crowns somewhat from digging into the wrist/ hand/ arm during wear.

I do find if the crowns aren’t done up tightly then they can begin to turn their way lose during the day (perhaps due to the grippyness of the rubber against my skin during wear.)

An engraved AP logo is present on the time setting crown, it can align perfectly upright with the uppermost edge of the rubber hexagon sitting in line with the brushed crown guards at about 95% tightness, but after operating the crown a few times since new the crown now turns just about a quarter turn past neutral to be fully hand tight.

The strap and buckle

Without doubt one of the most comfortable straps on any watch I have tried on, or had the pleasure to own. The thickness and gauge of the rubber give it a perfectly balanced look in comparison to the substantial case sat above. The two grooves running down the strap, add to the sporty feel. The rubber has a fine stippled texture to it, again adding another texture dimension to this incredible timepiece.

The notches for the tang buckle are all cut with perfect precision, almost like the strap was formed around them, the width being perfectly designed for the buckle pin to easily glide through.

After wearing for a couple of days, the rubber became more flexible and feeding the end through the keeper became a less arduous task - something I hadn’t been able to fully appreciate trying on in store before owning the piece.

The magnificent buckle luckily sits just off centre for me when wearing (second to last hole) which is good news for my daily ‘desk diving’ meaning it wont become scratched quite so fast as otherwise.

The buckle is broad, with crisp edges, perfectly milled with the words ACIER INOX (French for stainless steel) engraved into the inner edge.

On the front surface there is a crisp and bold AP logo, as if one would ever be in doubt who the manufacturer might be of such a beautiful watch.

The movement

N.B. I am not a movement expert by any means, my knowledge being gained over the last few years from various things I have enjoyed reading online and in manufacturer booklets. I wont therefore go into detail here as it would merely be more of a condensed repetition of what can be found easily via google about this particularly stellar movement by AP.

AP In house Calibre - 3120
Power reserve - 60 H
Frequency - 3,00 Hz
Parts - 280
Jewels - 40

Upon viewing the movement through the case back, the first thing to grab ones gaze is the gleaming 22k gold rotor, engraved with the Audemars and Piguet families’ coats of arms with exquisite detail.

The rest of the movement doesn't disappoint either, with multiple hallmarks of the highest end finishing on display.

The bridges are finished with Côtes de Genève striping, and the edges bevelled and polished to a high degree. Using a loupe and macro lens I was able to see the pallet fork tapping away at its steady pace beneath the balance spring..quite magnificent to behold.

Wearability & Readability

The watch wears fantastically for me on my 6.5” inch wrist, no over hang of the lugs and with a real wrist presence. The bezel and upper edges of the case catch the light when moving my arm about, if caught at the right angle it flashes like a mirror with strong lighting overhead.

The crystals AR coated only on the underside. This can lead to some reflection in the flat surface, but never enough of an issue to stop one reading the time. The watch does however need to be tilted quite a way towards ones eyes to read the time, in part due to the depth of the dial within the case due to the inner bezel as otherwise the case edge blocks the view to the lower portion of the dial and also to prevent any reflections from making viewing difficult.

The built in date magnifier isn’t as strongly magnifying as that from other manufacturers, which to me is pleasing as it doesn’t interrupt the viewing with something over necessarily large.

A combination of the straps grip-abilty, and width mean there is almost no side to side roll of the watch head during use, I am also able to wear this watch tighter than my others due to the flexibility and comfort of the strap which is a real bonus for me too.

Practicality as a dive watch

In addition to my daily desk diving, I am also a keen fair weather diver…that meaning, if I need any form of wetsuit, the water is too cold !!

Whilst I would love to take my beautiful, shiny AP underwater for the purpose its originally designed for, it will be quite some years into ownership, or shortly before a full service that I do so. The risk of severely clanging it on any number of metal parts of the equipment, boat, tanks etc..whilst out at sea would prevent me from actually focusing on anything else.

Despite the watch being ISO certified as an actual dive watch, and the 300M water resistance, the bezel function would make it deeply unpractical unless the bezel time was set before entering the water which isn’t always possible due to waiting times on the surface. If someone is after a genuinely useful watch to wear whilst diving, this probably wouldn’t be it !

That said, for trips to the beach, snorkelling or pool, I am looking forward very much to taking my newest addition along with me !

Robustness

Plenty has been written elsewhere about AP being scratch magnets. As with any finely polished or uniformly finished surface - abrasion or impacts will cause damage. The more perfect the finishing the more likely this is to show.

So far, after a couple of weeks of use, there have been no major incidents or scratches but these will come I’m sure. Just hopefully not too large or noticeable when they do !

The sturdiness of the case will hold up to most things I think, cosmetic damage is to me just that. Sure, I’m not going to go out my way to cause it (by e.g. taking it diving) , but I do want to enjoy my watch daily, and I’m of the opinion a few scars just show an interesting life lived.

Summary

This is a truly staggering watch, the combination of high finishing, haute horology movement with sports styling is the epitome of the AP ROO line. The diver is a great way into the brand if anyone is looking for something comfortable, robust and with great wrist presence.

If anyone has made it this far, I would thank you for indulging me and allowing me to share my passion for this magnificent timepiece with you all.

I hope it has made the decision easier for anyone who is looking to buy this watch, or enter into the world of AP.

Like Winston Churchill, if you are also easily satisfied with the very best, then this is the watch for you !

Attached Images
File Type: png Review 1.PNG (271.6 KB, 787 views)
File Type: png Review 2.PNG (275.8 KB, 791 views)
File Type: png Review 3.PNG (258.3 KB, 791 views)
File Type: png Review 4.PNG (278.3 KB, 788 views)
File Type: png Review 5.PNG (283.6 KB, 785 views)
File Type: png Review 6.PNG (275.5 KB, 794 views)
File Type: png Review 7.PNG (274.7 KB, 789 views)
File Type: png Review 8.PNG (269.3 KB, 791 views)
File Type: png Review 9.PNG (282.3 KB, 785 views)
File Type: png Review 10.PNG (274.4 KB, 791 views)
File Type: png Review 11.PNG (255.6 KB, 792 views)
File Type: png Review 12.PNG (274.1 KB, 794 views)
File Type: png Review 13.PNG (273.4 KB, 792 views)
File Type: png Review 14.PNG (271.4 KB, 792 views)
File Type: png Review 15.PNG (267.4 KB, 790 views)
File Type: png Review 16.PNG (282.3 KB, 793 views)
File Type: png Review 17.PNG (269.2 KB, 790 views)
File Type: png Review 18.PNG (246.3 KB, 783 views)
File Type: png Review 19.PNG (256.3 KB, 788 views)
File Type: png Review 20.PNG (250.7 KB, 790 views)
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 11:00 AM   #2
aquatimerfla
Banned

My AP Diver will be 2 yrs old this month. Some wear marks on the bezel but no 'scratches'. I have worn to parties, on weekends, during the week etc. On the wrist it looks as nice today as the day i purchased it. 'scratch magnet' worries are from the same people who worry about 'scratches' on PCL's. Unless you have directly up to your face in the sunlight you would never notice. Congrats on the Diver.
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 03:36 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

congrats on the diver. Awesome photos too
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 04:18 PM   #4
kn_watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex/Pam
Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing!

IG: @kn_watches
kn_watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 07:31 PM   #5
yoast
"TRF" Member

Great write up and pics, tfs
Old 7 December 2017, 10:17 PM   #6
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

Great to share your enjoyment of the watch. You mentioned the lure of the bracelet, I was expecting you to include that :-)
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 12:50 AM   #7
GUICAMPA
"TRF" Member

Great pics!!

Enviado de meu SM-G930F usando Tapatalk
GUICAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 12:58 AM   #8
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
My first ROO and still a favorite. Well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 02:51 AM   #9
Ziperian
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I have this watch with the silver dial, it is one of my top 2 watches.
Ziperian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 03:12 AM   #10
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Great review and pics of a fantastic watch
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 03:14 AM   #11
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
awesome review!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 04:09 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Fantastic review and pics, AP surely owe you one, send them this thread and ask for a Cap, very nice quality.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 05:19 AM   #13
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Great review!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 05:35 AM   #14
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Congrats on the addition and great write up.

I can't stop saying but the Diver will be my next AP as well. I just love it.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 08:05 AM   #15
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
My AP Diver will be 2 yrs old this month. Some wear marks on the bezel but no 'scratches'. I have worn to parties, on weekends, during the week etc. On the wrist it looks as nice today as the day i purchased it. 'scratch magnet' worries are from the same people who worry about 'scratches' on PCL's. Unless you have directly up to your face in the sunlight you would never notice. Congrats on the Diver.
Fully agree about scratches !
Old 8 December 2017, 08:12 AM   #16
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
congrats on the diver. Awesome photos too
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
Great write up and pics, tfs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomanoKu View Post
Great pics!!

Enviado de meu SM-G930F usando Tapatalk
Was really happy with how well the pics came out ! I have always been a fan of whats visible beyond the naked eye !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
My first ROO and still a favorite. Well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziperian View Post
I have this watch with the silver dial, it is one of my top 2 watches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post
Great review and pics of a fantastic watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
awesome review!
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Great review!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Congrats on the addition and great write up.

I can't stop saying but the Diver will be my next AP as well. I just love it.
Thank guys ! and yes Diver is a great choice..it won't be my last AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
Great to share your enjoyment of the watch. You mentioned the lure of the bracelet, I was expecting you to include that :-)
The bracelet might well be on my list for 2018 ! Do you find it draws more attention to your wrist than the rubber strap though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Fantastic review and pics, AP surely owe you one, send them this thread and ask for a Cap, very nice quality.
Haha I like the thinking...if anyone from AP is reading feel free to get in touch
Old 8 December 2017, 08:16 AM   #17
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Out of curiosity, do you have (or does anyone else have) pictures of the 15400 and the Diver side by side. I've been trying to compare the visual appearance/presence of the two when they are directly beside each other. (My AD has never had one... let alone both... in stock when I visited).
Old 8 December 2017, 08:56 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Out of curiosity, do you have (or does anyone else have) pictures of the 15400 and the Diver side by side. I've been trying to compare the visual appearance/presence of the two when they are directly beside each other. (My AD has never had one... let alone both... in stock when I visited).
Sizewise they are very similar, but the ROO is thicker. If you can wear one, you can the other.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUjddZoWcAAMAyk.jpg
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 09:46 AM   #19
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Sizewise they are very similar, but the ROO is thicker. If you can wear one, you can the other.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUjddZoWcAAMAyk.jpg
Perfect! Gotcha... thanks for the image bud!
Old 8 December 2017, 11:20 AM   #20
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Great review and pics

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 03:57 PM   #21
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
The bracelet might well be on my list for 2018 ! Do you find it draws more attention to your wrist than the rubber strap though?
Yes much more. Like all SS watches I guess though maybe a bit more due to the case and bracelet having more reflective facets.
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 11:07 AM   #22
S4one
"TRF" Member

Hey can you confirm if the ROO Diver actually uses white gold for the eight hex screws? I thought that only the royal oaks have it and the Divers use stainless steel. I have had my white/silver face diver for about three months now and still trying to confirm regarding the white gold screws.
S4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 11:13 AM   #23
S4one
"TRF" Member

Nvm, found the answer..

"SS screws are stronger for the higher WR"
S4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 11:50 AM   #24
911Turbo
"TRF" Member

Fantastic ! Thank you for a great review
911Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote