The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 June 2018, 02:34 PM   #1
WestLife
"TRF" Member

Please educate me on a new purchase

Looking to buy a used Rolex. Seller is trusted and has the watch advertised as:

"Warranty card stamped by AD and has Open warranty name and date"

What exactly does open name and date mean to me? What do I need to know when purchasing a used Rolex?

This is my first Rolex and considering this purchase on a difficult to produce watch. Any info or guidance is greatly appreciated.

-West
WestLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 02:49 PM   #2
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
First let me say that when you step into the world of buying expensive watches online without any experience, both with buying and in knowledge, you are setting yourself up for some disappointment.

Maybe you will get lucky and make a good purchase of a good watch, but if you make a mistake and trust the wrong seller, it will be a very expensive mistake.

Many will suggest that if you can't wait, you should buy your first Rolex new from an AD to eliminate any problems and to spend a lot of time doing research before you start buying used from any source.

When a seller says that a card is "open" it means that there are no names or dates on the card and that you can fill in your own name and date if you so desire.

That way, it will look like you are the original buyer.

Good luck

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 03:19 PM   #3
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

^ 2x what he says
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 03:28 PM   #4
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I believe for a warranty card to be valid it needs a date to be filled in, fwiw!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 03:39 PM   #5
Waddy1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub date.
This is exactly why I went and waited at an AD. I couldn’t take any risks at all when spending this kind of money on a watch.
Waddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:24 PM   #6
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
For your first watch I recommend buying from a AD
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 10:10 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Depending on the watch and the price online is a good way to research and to purchase. Look for the Trusted Sellers here and contact several and see what they tell you. If there is not significant money to be saved and your local AD has the watch then that is the way I would go.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 10:40 PM   #8
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
I’ve had this happen before with a high end watch. The warranty card came with my name and my date of purchase on it. As luck would have it, I had to use the warranty for work that included a full service. I was a bit nervous and the boutique noted that the date was filled out in a way that they had never seen before. But they didn’t ask any questions and did the warranty work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 12:25 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Open name and date used to be fine, but now Rolex are swiping the warranty card and all the watch and customer's details at the moment of sale, so anything not filled in or that doesn't match their records could have problems later with Rolex and RSC.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 12:28 AM   #10
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

If you want to buy used, just do yourself a favor and buy from a trusted seller here. Both have listings in the classifieds section but that's where I would start.

Takuya Watches: http://www.takuyawatches.com

DavidSW: https://davidsw.com
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 09:46 AM   #11
lilsweetie
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ Rose/SS diamond
I have bought from a trusted seller late 2017 and they sent me an open name card.
I asked about this and he (ocrolexguy) assured me it is still under warranty and he works with an AD. I'm a little confused about the open name card too ...
lilsweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:36 AM   #12
Bigcigardan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18248,9630
Ocrolexguy is legit I bought a DD off of him last year. Good reputable seller. As far as warranty card I believe he is telling truth warranty follows watch not buyer.

Bigcigardan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:42 AM   #13
untchble
"TRF" Member

AD

or

untchble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:59 AM   #14
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLife View Post
Looking to buy a used Rolex. Seller is trusted and has the watch advertised as:

"Warranty card stamped by AD and has Open warranty name and date"

What exactly does open name and date mean to me? What do I need to know when purchasing a used Rolex?

This is my first Rolex and considering this purchase on a difficult to produce watch. Any info or guidance is greatly appreciated.

-West

So what do you think?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:08 AM   #15
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
I bought few watches from AD. All the warranty cards have a date but no name. AD told me they are required to swipe the card to the system to activate the warranty and date stamp to avoid confusion.

If someone told me, I can fill in the date as I want. I feel they are misleading. Do you still trust them?
GFONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:10 AM   #16
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
First Purcjase. Please go AD. Get the full experience and card in your name. Boxes, books, tags, appraisel. It's well worth it and you can at least ask for a discount..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:15 AM   #17
mray6375
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
If you want to buy used, just do yourself a favor and buy from a trusted seller here. Both have listings in the classifieds section but that's where I would start.

Takuya Watches: http://www.takuyawatches.com

What he said!
mray6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:20 AM   #18
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Buy from AD.
A used Rolex and warranty card is not filled up? Fishy..
Old 21 June 2018, 11:25 AM   #19
perryj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Swatch
If buying from Patrick (ocrolexguy) I trust him MORE than my AD. You’re in good hands
Rolex Explorer I and II both sold
Rolex Datejust 16233 and 16234 sold
perryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:27 AM   #20
RollieRoll
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcigardan View Post
Ocrolexguy is legit I bought a DD off of him last year. Good reputable seller. As far as warranty card I believe he is telling truth warranty follows watch not buyer.

This is correct...he does have AD friends. That's why he has watches without the name filled out. ad is breaking protocol when they do this however ... Before you take your watch in if it ever needs service, put your name on the card. ALSO things can go wrong from an AD TS eBay or anywhere. With that said, based on your limited knowledge, you should probably go to the AD route at this juncture.
RollieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:29 AM   #21
RollieRoll
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Buy from AD.
A used Rolex and warranty card is not filled up? Fishy..
It's fishy to those who are not well experience with gray dealers and relationships between authorized dealers and grey dealers. Many many many of the gray dealers used to sell used watches without the name on the warranty completed. It's just gotten harder and harder for ADs to agree to that these days. Cheers
RollieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:33 AM   #22
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
It's not fishy if it's a trusted seller. The watches they source often come with open name and dates from the AD. Often when you make the purchase if requested the trusted seller will put your name on the card and a date of approximately when the watch was originally purchased.

I've bought two watches from DavidSW, one was used and one was new, both had open cards--my name went on both.

You can choose to leave it open or put your name and ask the trusted seller for a correct date if you plan on keeping it long term.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 02:05 PM   #23
jcclx1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Another vote for Patrick, OCROLERXGUY! As long as you are buying from him, DavidsSW, takuya, and there are a few others that are the main players, not discounting the smaller guys, but as mentioned, these guys are as good if not better than an AD, unless you wanted that warm and fuzzy of an AD and a 800.00 diet coke(sales tax on 10K). By difficult to produce I suppose you mean in demand? Trusted seller man be only chance of getting your hands on it, what model are you looking for? As long as you have tried watch on, know what you want, you should be fine. Good luck!

If Columbus had turned back, no one would have blamed him. Of course, no one would have remembered him either

Unknown
jcclx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:13 PM   #24
Bigcigardan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18248,9630
."With that said, based on your limited knowledge, you should probably go to the AD route at this juncture."[/QUOTE]

17 Rolex watches over the years , only one new from an AD. I'm more comfortable buying in other ways than ADs who aren't educated on the subject and who don't really own watches themselves.

Bigcigardan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:33 PM   #25
MDon35
"TRF" Member

my experience ;

i got a tt daytona bought mine from a "Greymarket" Dealer, was a steal because its an 8 month old daytona and the original warranty card is with the AD under name of original owner. Saved near 25%.

it was my first rolex purchase and I took a plunge. It was in Immaculate condition.

As soon as I got it, I had a problem. the watch had a error in the beat and also was running 6 secs fast a day. took into my RSC and they didnt create a fuss , took it in very decently regulated it and returned it now at 1 sec a day. No charges.

I saved myself big money to spend on different straps and accessories for the watch , making it look even better and functional for daily life, still walked away with a saving. It would have been a very poor decision on my part if I was intending to sell the Watch within a year or two to buy one without a warranty card. But with a view after many years use followed a service, its got some papers. By the way I save so much that even if I send it for a service now and get equivalent papers, I would have still walked away with a saving.

In conclusion if you are keeping it with a view to use and for many years, and the seller is well reputed, Its worth it if you benefit in some way, saving or otherwise. If you are not able to verify or acredit the seller credentials, dont but it from the seller. My vendor was a well reputed Jeweller in London. I made sure he signed an agreement with me to give me their warranty of 3 years. In addition to the copy of the original Rolex warranty. So I would get your card checked first if youre worried.
MDon35 is offline   Reply With Quote