The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2018, 02:24 PM   #31
kl07rph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkas View Post
I'm expecting the birth of my first child this Nov, I plan to buy explorer 1 for later on pass to him 18 years later.. since Rolex sport now are hard to obtain, any idea of what model? Currently I owned subs ceramic date, Tudor BB ETA, and omega speedy chocolate dial... But looking at the new root beer..wow birth year also...but maybe need to wait how many years. ...
First and foremost, congrats on your upcoming first! :) I myself have two; a 5yr old and a soon-to-be 6 month. Can you say lack of sleep/stress?

Anyhow, go with what sings to you now, IMO. 18 years later your son will cherish whatever timepiece you give to him, because that sentimental value will be a trillion times more than whatever "XYZ" market would value the watch at.
kl07rph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 02:24 PM   #32
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Been there done that. Before first child born till now, I use the same excuse and flipped over 20 Rolex. I still have only 1 son and yet to conclude which model to pass him.

Best option will be black dial Explorer 39mm. Classic, great size and won’t go out of style.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 02:27 PM   #33
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
I got a Speedy Pro for my son being born this year. He’s my first child and the Speedy was the first on the moon. Seemed fitting. I will give it to him when he has his first born.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 03:42 PM   #34
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by G'ed View Post
Been there done that. Before first child born till now, I use the same excuse and flipped over 20 Rolex. I still have only 1 son and yet to conclude which model to pass him.

Best option will be black dial Explorer 39mm. Classic, great size and won’t go out of style.

Comforting to read I’m not the only one to have done this. My son turned one in May just gone and I’ve already flipped “his watch” bought when he was born!

I’m now well into my watches but unfortunately when my father past away I had no interest (and he knew as such) so his watches went elsewhere (rightly so!). Had I inherited them now, they would have been treasured but certainly not worn as they were not at all my style. Why would they be treasured, because I remember seeing him wear and wind them throughout his life!

Whatever you buy, wear and enjoy it otherwise sentimentality will not exist.

Finally congrats!

Niki

ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 03:44 PM   #35
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
Congrats to you! Choose whatever you like as you do not know what is going to happen after 18 years.
GFONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 03:46 PM   #36
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'ed View Post

mine are protected from flipping. I purposely have "their" watch on in their hospital delivery room pics, newborn family pics etc. So its going to be really obvious if i flip it as i cant go back and re take those pictures. Document it, and then you are committed
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 09:31 PM   #37
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats on your upcoming addition to your family I’d go sub or gmt

Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 09:46 PM   #38
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
First, congratulations in advance, life is about to change in a very good way

As for the watch, buy what you like and enjoy wearing. Your son will see you wearing it, and when you pass it on, he will have awesome memories of his dad and how he always wore “his Rolex”

I wish my dad was into watches
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:05 PM   #39
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations on the birth of your son. Pick a watch that you want to wear and are passionate about. Stick with the hobby and let your son see what you wear and I bet he will gravitate toward one over the others. When he is old enough, I doubt it will be 18, pass along the watch. It will mean so much that his father wore it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:19 PM   #40
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Imagine giving your son a mint condition Tudor 9411/0 with box and papers...that would be awesome, right? The current Tudor Black Bay could be the "snowflake" in 25 years.

It doesn't have to be a flat 4 Kermit or stainless Daytona. Something that you can wear and enjoy would be appreciated and will probably appreciate financially as well.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:25 PM   #41
statsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink3027 View Post
Been through this exact process myself. Buy whichever watch you like and want to wear. It'll be special to him because it's "Dad's watch".

I primarily wear two watches- a (1016) 1972 Explorer most of the time and a 1958 Lord Elgin wind up to church. They were both my dad’s.

I have an exceptional father. I think that’s the real key in buying a watch intended for a child- be a great father.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:55 PM   #42
koolkas
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input guys... I like the idea of same birth year Rolex watch (2018 release), then take a documentation picture of him and the watch (what a story to pass him on later)..so now only 2 options : pepsi jubilee (keep on dreaming) or op black/white dial...seems op are more rationale routes for me now...
koolkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:01 AM   #43
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkas View Post
Thanks for the input guys... I like the idea of same birth year Rolex watch (2018 release), then take a documentation picture of him and the watch (what a story to pass him on later)..so now only 2 options : pepsi jubilee (keep on dreaming) or op black/white dial...seems op are more rationale routes for me now...
BLRO would be my pick but since you need it before november i'd go OP39 white dial.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 01:50 AM   #44
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVDB View Post
You have a good point there... Also a friend of mine (we are 30 now) still thinks the OP is an old mans watch
It's hard to say. Think about how bad many of the watches from the '90s look these days. I wonder if the same will happen with ceramic Rolex watches that are a bit less classically styled.

The best idea is probably an Apple gift card, so he can buy whatever the kids are wearing. Granted, it may not be worth much in 18 years, so maybe Apple stock??
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 01:28 AM   #45
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

In 18 years time, he may, look at a clockwork timepiece, in the
same way, we may have looked at a Goose feather, an ink pot and a pen knife,
on our 18th birthday!
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 01:42 AM   #46
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
In 18 years time, he may, look at a clockwork timepiece, in the
same way, we may have looked at a Goose feather, an ink pot and a pen knife,
on our 18th birthday!
Yeah, that's what I was saying, too. I inherited an ebony/gold cane and gold pocket watch from relatives, and they haven't exactly left my closet (or exploded in value.)

While none of us can predict the future, the fact that it only took Apple a couple of years to become the world's largest watch maker tells me that the foundation of mechanical watches for the future isn't as solid as some seem to think.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 01:49 AM   #47
Bfd70
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your first child. You’ll learn so many things from having kids. One of the is that they will likely not like/care about many things of the superficial variety that you do. No big deal. Buy a watch for yourself. Give your son the gift of your time.
Bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 01:49 AM   #48
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Yeah, that's what I was saying, too. I inherited an ebony/gold cane and gold pocket watch from relatives, and they haven't exactly left my closet (or exploded in value.)

While none of us can predict the future, the fact that it only took Apple a couple of years to become the world's largest watch maker tells me that the foundation of mechanical watches for the future isn't as solid as some seem to think.
ive got a pocket watch from my great grandfather. If it was a wrist watch i would probably wear it.

Because its a pocket watch i don't because unfortunately he didn't also leave me a monocle, cane, and a top hat to complete the look.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 23 June 2018, 02:47 AM   #49
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Put your name down for a SS Pepsi GMT.

By the time he"s 18 you might just about be next on the list...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Good luck finding an AD who will let you on their list!!! Maybe a better strategy is to start buying from ADs and by the time he 18 they'll allow you to put your name on their list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink3027 View Post
Been through this exact process myself. Buy whichever watch you like and want to wear. It'll be special to him because it's "Dad's watch".
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Congratulations on the birth of your son. Pick a watch that you want to wear and are passionate about. Stick with the hobby and let your son see what you wear and I bet he will gravitate toward one over the others. When he is old enough, I doubt it will be 18, pass along the watch. It will mean so much that his father wore it.
Absolutely agree with the last two posts!!! The wrinkle is that there is no telling how a child will turn out as an adult. My first born was a son and I had great aspirations for him. He was lately diagnosed with minor autism and doesn't really have the ability to be responsible for a Rolex. He's in his 30s. My daughter on the other hand is perfect to inherit something of value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
ive got a pocket watch from my great grandfather. If it was a wrist watch i would probably wear it.

Because its a pocket watch i don't because unfortunately he didn't also leave me a monocle, cane, and a top hat to complete the look.
I too have a gold pocket watch and a gold wrist watch both handed down from my father. Not certain if the pocket watch was my grandfather's or my dad's since my dad graduated college in 1930.The wrist watch makes a good dress watch. The Pocket watch makes a good safe queen. So the question this brings up as said before is will the watches we love be in fashion in twenty years?

"The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, Gang aft agley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, For promis'd joy!"

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 04:43 AM   #50
RolliRolli
"TRF" Member

Loving the feedback here. I just joined the forum and I am in the same boat. I have been doing a lot of research and undecided about what purchase to make. My son was born in January and I am deciding between OP39 Black dial, Submariner w/date, or saving up a bit more for the DJ41 cause I have always loved the jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel (but feel it may look a little to old-manish and loud on me). Decisions?!?!
RolliRolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 05:01 AM   #51
arosado
Banned

Watch: Rolex, AP & Omega
1st son... A special piece to pass on? Go with a Patek Philippe.
arosado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 05:35 AM   #52
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I cannot believe people actually do this. I have two boys.... my plan is when they are graduating college, getting married or some other big achievement (when its deserved), I would offer them each one of my watches they saw me wearing growing up. If I was to buy one for them now to just either sit or me wear now while they grow up, why not just buy them what they want when they hit that milestone you select?
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 05:37 AM   #53
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I cannot believe people actually do this. I have two boys.... my plan is when they are graduating college, getting married or some other big achievement (when its deserved), I would offer them each one of my watches they saw me wearing growing up. If I was to buy one for them now to just either sit or me wear now while they grow up, why not just buy them what they want when they hit that milestone you select?
Same, I never understood this, unless it's about getting it cheaper now and avoiding a price hike later on?

People do it with whiskey as well. "I'm buying a whiskey to open when my son turns 18/21!"

Not my thing, I guess.
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 05:40 AM   #54
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Help decide Watch to buy for 1st unborn son and will pass to him later on

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post

That is exactly what I do. The are their watches... I just wear them, but that is the intent. And they will have memories of me wearing them. I like the idea of a piece I wore vs getting them a new one

Old 28 June 2018, 05:54 AM   #55
Car32
"TRF" Member

DaytonaC. Not too big, not too small. Ceramic bezel will hold up well. Looks awesome and a special watch in the world of Rolex.

You also wont care about the premium paid you 18 years. :)
Car32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 05:57 AM   #56
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
Same, I never understood this, unless it's about getting it cheaper now and avoiding a price hike later on?

People do it with whiskey as well. "I'm buying a whiskey to open when my son turns 18/21!"

Not my thing, I guess.
Zero chance I will save whiskey for them.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
That is exactly what I do. The are their watches... I just wear them, but that is the intent. And they will have memories of me wearing them. I like the idea of a piece I wore vs getting them a new one

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 06:12 AM   #57
MVP
"TRF" Member

I hope your son isn't planning on going to college after he receives the watch haha
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 06:16 AM   #58
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

I also had my first child (a son) in March, and went through a ton of scenarios as well. My wife even bought me a Tudor Black Bay Blue as a surprise for fathers day with no name on the card. I will put my sons name on the warranty card, but I decided that when he graduates college I will give him the Breitling that my mother gave me when I graduated college. This creates a tradition that I hope he will pass on to his child when they graduate college.

We all love to justify a watch purchase and having a child is a great excuse, and if I were you I would purchase the Explorer I. It truly is a timeless classic that will always be regarded as the "Gentleman's Sports Watch"

My
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 06:42 AM   #59
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v25v View Post
i cannot believe people actually do this. I have two boys.... My plan is when they are graduating college, getting married or some other big achievement (when its deserved), i would offer them each one of my watches they saw me wearing growing up. If i was to buy one for them now to just either sit or me wear now while they grow up, why not just buy them what they want when they hit that milestone you select?

+1.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 07:12 AM   #60
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I'm going to go with a different recommendation, the BLNR. For a birth year watch, you want one that is representative of the current times. Nothing embodies current times more. Hulk perhaps as much, but the BLNR came of age in this era.

Congrats!
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote