The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2018, 11:30 AM   #61
RollieRoll
Banned

Rolex vs a what? 🥂
RollieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:49 AM   #62
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Rolex is a very selfish brand for many of us. Comparing it to Omega, Hublot etc quality wise I don't see much difference, but it has the name as the king of watches and is as liquid as cash and based on the demand for the latest SS models maybe even better. Long story short, if you buy pretty much any brand outside of a Rolex SS sport models try to get 25% off at least.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 12:47 PM   #63
Rolexism_
"TRF" Member

I’ve owned a Hublot back in 2012. I liked the appeal initially and the attention it grabs at first look. But it only does just that and nothing more.
So they also keep saying on their website that they make their own gold and their movements are “in-house”. I actually flipped over the watch as they all have a clear case. With a magnifying eye-glass I was able to pick up some markings on the movement. It said, “SW300” on my classic fusion chrono. I researched further and it turned out that hublot in fact does NOT make its own movements and “SW” stands for Sellita SA. They are a small watch movement company that also makes Tag movements, breatling, Oris, and even some other Swiss brands. After realizing this fact I listed the watch and sold it for very close to MSRP as it was mint.

Rolex is the king of all watches and no one comes close at that price point which is still undervalued at msrp.
Rolexism_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 01:09 PM   #64
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Hublot vs Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexism_ View Post
I’ve owned a Hublot back in 2012. I liked the appeal initially and the attention it grabs at first look. But it only does just that and nothing more.
So they also keep saying on their website that they make their own gold and their movements are “in-house”. I actually flipped over the watch as they all have a clear case. With a magnifying eye-glass I was able to pick up some markings on the movement. It said, “SW300” on my classic fusion chrono. I researched further and it turned out that hublot in fact does NOT make its own movements and “SW” stands for Sellita SA. They are a small watch movement company that also makes Tag movements, breatling, Oris, and even some other Swiss brands. After realizing this fact I listed the watch and sold it for very close to MSRP as it was mint.

Rolex is the king of all watches and no one comes close at that price point which is still undervalued at msrp.

Not all hublot have in house movement but plenty do w the Unico movement . I am no hublot fan but got to do some research ..
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 01:46 PM   #65
jmrxtr
"TRF" Member

Watch: PamRolexIWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Hublot all day erryday.

King bang boom Shaka Lakka king power ice edition if you can afford it.
awesome
jmrxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 02:25 PM   #66
Rolexism_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Not all hublot have in house movement but plenty do w the Unico movement . I am no hublot fan but got to do some research ..

Yes the Unico movement is in house for the Big Bangs etc. But I’m sure even in them perhaps the main spring has a patent outside hublot. I can’t believe that hublot manufactures all in house without any outside support in their research and development. I could be wrong but they need to be a more “movement” oriented company than a fashion forward company. The very fact that LVMH owns them is a turn off for me personally.
Rolexism_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 04:39 PM   #67
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

BOSE = Better off with something else.
Hublot = Better off with AP
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 02:52 PM   #68
andyvn579
"TRF" Member

Despite that not much love for the Hublot here....i pulled my trigger.

Thought about choro at first but seem like my wrist is too small for it, so i went with Classic Fusion Racing Grey. Arrived today and i love it.

Thank you Chirs at ECJ Luxe for the good price
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180707_153542.jpg (236.1 KB, 314 views)
andyvn579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 02:56 PM   #69
andyvn579
"TRF" Member

On the run to a baby shower when Fedex arrived, took the box with me and tried it on, havent took of the hard plastic cover in this photo. But without the plastic, it's even better
Old 8 July 2018, 03:46 PM   #70
q8rolex
"TRF" Member

hublot is not my cup of tea.

crown is king.
q8rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 03:59 PM   #71
andyvn579
"TRF" Member

I guess as long as i like it :)
Old 8 July 2018, 04:18 PM   #72
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I saw a guy wearing the exact model yesterday and it looked nice. Congrats.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 04:21 PM   #73
andyvn579
"TRF" Member

Thank you :)
Old 8 July 2018, 04:33 PM   #74
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Just saw a diamond bezel Fusion no more than 3 hours ago at The Grove in LA. Didn't do much for me.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 04:39 PM   #75
Nephro
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Actually Hublot is credited with having the idea of a luxury watch on a rubber strap many years ago. Rolex finally added the “Oysterflex” just recently, just sayin’
I bought one of the first SS/ceramic Big Bangs circa 2008 when they were very hard to get. Jean-Claude Biver was CEO then and actually posted on the Timezone forum back then. If you posted up an incoming back then he would send you a personally signed warranty extension, can you imagine the Chairman of Rolex doing that?
Biver is gone now though, they make too many limited editions, and resale stinks...but it is a modern alternative that isn’t afraid to try new things.
I enjoy both brands and did the same thing as noted above on TimeZone in 2012 when I got my Big Bang. Got the personally signed letter as well. Pretty amazing and impressive touch to solidify brand loyalty with a new customer. Smart move!
Patek Philippe 5712R-001, Audemars Piguet 15400ST Ruthenium dial, Vacheron Constantin Overseas 4500V Blue dial, Rolex 326933, Rolex 116523, Rolex 126710BLNR, Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex 126300 Wimbledon dial, JLC Master Compressor Navy SEAL's Diving Alarm, PAM 1499
Omega Constellation 1967, G Shock
Nephro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 05:07 PM   #76
rolex01
"TRF" Member

Personally I buy Rolex sports for value rentention and wear hublot for its design.
rolex01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 05:27 PM   #77
Skwisgaar
Banned

Watch: DJ II rhodium, '56
Floyd Mayweather wears Hublots.

/thread

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Skwisgaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 05:38 PM   #78
andyvn579
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex01 View Post
Personally I buy Rolex sports for value rentention and wear hublot for its design.
Thats what i did :)
Old 8 July 2018, 06:08 PM   #79
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
No interest to me.
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 09:41 PM   #80
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
I am definitely not new to watch collecting. Hublot does have something it innovated. It was the original pioneer of using the rubber strap. Hublot means “porthole” and their circular designs are reminiscent of this.

Ever since then, in my humble opinion, it is been a copycat watch. The Big Bang is a very obvious copy of the Royal Oak. The watch at the top of this thread looks very much like a Richard Mille (which BTW is assembled by Renaud and Papi, a division of AP).

I probably put inordinate amount of emphasis on provenance but your mileage may vary. Lots of famous people wear them including athletes. They are big and showy and flashy. Not for me. But if you like it, it’s your wrist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 09:49 PM   #81
Jace
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nail Tech View Post
Have you seen their range of Spirit of Big Bang?

Looks familiar don’t it?

Now ripping off Richard Mille. Bet they are a lot more price friendly though.

Old 9 July 2018, 12:30 AM   #82
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckci View Post
I disagree with the above quote!

I enjoy my Panerai Zero
Attachment 961149

I’d pass on the Hublot.

Welcome to TRF!
Agree w u R

Panerai is as original as any other brand. Panerai watches are also trend setters for the larger sizes we see today.

Hublot and originality do not occupy the same space, hublot is the Hyundai of watches.
Old 9 July 2018, 02:38 AM   #83
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Hublot are lovely watches
I love the fusion series
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 03:43 AM   #84
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Hublot is right up there with Panerai ;)
Mr Fat Ninja, FYI Panerai by far much better then Hublot, and you have no clue about watches LOL ��
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 03:49 AM   #85
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

So did Richard Mille rip off Frank Mueller? I don't get why people hate on watches being similar design. At the end of the day there is only so many shapes to use for a watch! I'd be willing to bet 99% of the people hating Hublot have never owned one or even held one. They are all on the Hublot hater Band wagon.....the chrono on my unico is so much smoother then my Royal oak offshore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
Now ripping off Richard Mille. Bet they are a lot more price friendly though.

Rmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 04:31 AM   #86
andyvn579
"TRF" Member

Feel the same here
Old 9 July 2018, 08:43 AM   #87
Jace
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoor View Post
So did Richard Mille rip off Frank Mueller? I don't get why people hate on watches being similar design. At the end of the day there is only so many shapes to use for a watch! I'd be willing to bet 99% of the people hating Hublot have never owned one or even held one. They are all on the Hublot hater Band wagon.....the chrono on my unico is so much smoother then my Royal oak offshore.

You may be right about that, however I am not one of them. I have held many of them. Never bought one though for the above reasons. Tonneau cases weren’t invented by Franck Mueller although he certainly popularized them.

No hate involved. It’s not an Invicta. He asked an opinion of the brand. My views represent only my own opinion. There are many, many watch brands that do not move me. VC comes to mind. As does UN. And Richard Mille. Every time I see one of these on someone’s wrist I am befuddled by why except that they are expensive and recognizable.

But hey! That’s the beauty of watch collecting. My tastes have changed so much over the last 20 years as has my collection. Since this is the Rolex forum, I remember a saying from collecting wine. You start with Pinot Noir and then you work your way through every other grape and then you end up back at Pinot Noir. I started with Rolex date just and ended up with a day date 40.

Old 9 July 2018, 09:22 AM   #88
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Actually Hublot is credited with having the idea of a luxury watch on a rubber strap many years ago. Rolex finally added the “Oysterflex” just recently, just sayin’
I bought one of the first SS/ceramic Big Bangs circa 2008 when they were very hard to get. Jean-Claude Biver was CEO then and actually posted on the Timezone forum back then. If you posted up an incoming back then he would send you a personally signed warranty extension, can you imagine the Chairman of Rolex doing that?
Biver is gone now though, they make too many limited editions, and resale stinks...but it is a modern alternative that isn’t afraid to try new things.
Fair point.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 09:51 AM   #89
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Seems like a small consensus is building around just buying an AP instead. I would agree.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 09:55 AM   #90
c.rod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Hublot all day erryday.

King bang boom Shaka Lakka king power ice edition if you can afford it.

c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote