The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 September 2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Genealogy Coup

Genealogy is one of my hobbies. I subscribe to Ancestry.com and have built a fairly thorough family tree. I qualified my kids for DAR and The Mayflower Society, should they ever decide to join those organizations.

I recently started tracing my ancestor's lines forward, but never had much luck as the England census' aren't public for 100 years. This means I can only see up the the 1901 census, versus the 1930 census in America. For that reason I always stopped around 1901. Last night I got bored with Brett Favre's rust, so I tried a different approach. Starting in 1915, England began listing spouse and mother's maiden name in the birth and marriage records. That enabled me to identify who the people married, then easily search for all of their children. I repeated the process through several family lines and generations, then after some diligent facebook searching, identified a large contingent of cousins with my last name in Bristol and Weston Super Mare. Then I was able contact one of them. Pretty cool when you consider that our last common ancestor was born in 1819.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Neat. I'm a direct descendant of John Alden from the Mayflower. The last person that I know of who belonged to the Mayflower Society was my great grandmother. I've recently began to look into joining myself.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 09:55 PM   #3
jdc
"TRF" Member

My wife is very into this hobby too. You can now get the 1911 census if you pay try 'genes reunited'

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 10:05 PM   #4
HarryPotions
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date X
Another great site is familytreeforum.com .... It's a free site and has members all over the world.

Not only is it a forum but it also has reference libaries
to help with research and many people willing to help you
investigate... Best of all it's free lol

His.... SS SUB DATE 16610 X
Her's. OYSTERDATE 1962

HarryPotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 11:22 PM   #5
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
I used findmypast.co.uk for about a month. I found a few pieces that had eluded me, but then I discovered that I could have found them on familysearch.org (the free LDS genealogy site), so I canceled.

The oldest ancestor I can find in my direct paternal line is a guy born in 1769 or so. The problem is, the parish registers for 4 years around the time of his birth were badly damaged. He died just before the BMD indexes began, and before the first true census.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2010, 07:39 AM   #6
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I was able to go on the internet, and see the register from the ship my Grandfather came over on in 1909. Pretty cool!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote