The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 April 2018, 07:12 AM   #1
torifile
"TRF" Member

Last US price increase for the Sub?

I swear I tried searching for this answer but I kept coming up empty or finding threads that were speculating on the next increase. I don’t want speculation on the next increase. I am just trying to find out the last time Rolex increased the price on the Sub, particularly the 114060 line. They seem impossible to find for me locally and based on what I’m seeing on the second hand market, are rare throughout the country. Many are being listed above MSRP for even used models. Thanks!
torifile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
The last time I was in Finks at Southpark mall in Charlotte, they had a no date sub in the showcase.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
The last time I was in Finks at Southpark mall in Charlotte, they had a no date sub in the showcase.
They are going to appear. Be patient. Now everyone is behind the GMT Master
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 10:00 AM   #4
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
IIRC it was 2012.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 10:12 AM   #5
dmash
"TRF" Member

(IMO) They stopped because Rolex reached the threshold of what is 'acceptable' for a basic SS sport piece. It's priced about right as is, and Rolex seems to agree with me. However, I could see another 10% by 2020. It will probably come when they drop the 32xx movement in the Sub, would make sense. They could definitely swing that and nobody will have much to say, if anything they'll gladly pay it to get a longer power reserve. I don't see them doing much more though, as that would place a stainless Sub past $10k. Don't let a dealer scare you with some 'looming price increase', because it's pretty certain that's not happening this year.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 10:18 AM   #6
torifile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventura View Post
They are going to appear. Be patient. Now everyone is behind the GMT Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
I think he meant they had a “no date” sub in the showcase not they had no “date sub” in the showcase. Neither of the ADs up here have any. Not that it matters much because I can definitely get one from a trusted seller here (in fact, I already purchased one). I was just curious about the last time they went up in price.
Old 25 April 2018, 10:25 AM   #7
torifile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post

(IMO) They stopped because Rolex reached the threshold of what is 'acceptable' for a basic SS sport piece. It's priced about right as is, and Rolex seems to agree with me. However, I could see another 10% by 2020. It will probably come when they drop the 32xx movement in the Sub, would make sense. They could definitely swing that and nobody will have much to say, if anything they'll gladly pay it to get a longer power reserve. I don't see them doing much more though, as that would place a stainless Sub past $10k. Don't let a dealer scare you with some 'looming price increase', because it's pretty certain that's not happening this year.
Thanks. Makes sense to me but 6 years is a long time not to increase the price.
Old 25 April 2018, 10:30 AM   #8
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Thanks. Makes sense to me but 6 years is a long time not to increase the price.
It is, but it's because they raised it too high in 2012 (again, IMO). Compared to the rest of the market, that was a little extreme. Now?....like I said, I think a 10% by 2020 will definitely come. However, they still need a reason for it, as to not have disgruntled buyers. Having the price increase coincide with the integration of 32xx movement in the 'signature' Submariner, will be completely acceptable to most everyone.

I mean take me for example. I'm interested in grabbing a Sub, but am wanting the updated movement and to see if they do any slight alterations on the case/lugs. Therefore, I'm waiting until Basel 2020 to see if it happens. If they do those things, I'd happily pay $9500. It's so much easier to pay an upcharge when something new comes, as opposed to the situation now, where not only is everything 'old news', but it just feels like some small changes are around the corner. However, knowing my luck, I'll wait until then and it will be the same watch WITH the price increase anyways
Old 25 April 2018, 05:27 PM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Here's a link to the 2012 Price List; the same prices as today I believe for those watches which are still being made:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...new+price+list

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 05:47 PM   #10
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:

(IMO) They stopped because Rolex reached the threshold of what is 'acceptable' for a basic SS sport piece.
In a sense, yes, but there's more to it. Prices started going crazy in the middle of last decade, just as China's economy was taking off. Prices continued to rise even after the U.S. housing bust, and were out of step with Western economies. Basically China was creating a bubble, and propping up a lopsided pricing scheme. When China cooled off in 2012, those prices were over-extended. So Rolex has held tight, waiting for the global economies to catch up with the bubble-fueled prices.

The economies have caught up, but so far Rolex isn't taking the bait on further increases. Perhaps they fear another downturn, since a lot of the current demand is fueled once again by Chinese and Asian buying, and don't want to overextend again. Or maybe the next increase is right around the corner. Hard to say.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 06:10 PM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

(IMO) They stopped because Rolex reached the threshold of what is 'acceptable' for a basic SS sport piece.
i tend to think rolex is playing the long game and short term profit grabs are not the best in the long run. I also think the shortages and increased demand is part of the long game too. They are getting people use to higher prices and making it normal, then when they raise the price and increase production people are happy, not mad and probably buy more watches.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 09:15 PM   #12
torifile
"TRF" Member

It seems to me that the price of the SubC/Sub Date is too *low*. Why? Because it’s sold out in many places. Pricing equilibrium is when there’s just enough supply to meet demand and right now, we’re not there.
Old 25 April 2018, 09:29 PM   #13
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
It seems to me that the price of the SubC/Sub Date is too *low*. Why? Because it’s sold out in many places. Pricing equilibrium is when there’s just enough supply to meet demand and right now, we’re not there.
I’m sure this logic isn’t at all catalyzed by your recent ownership of said model eh?

But honestly, give it a couple more months. Many ADs are already showing way more inventory now, look at the forum posts over the past two weeks. I’m beginning to think this ‘shortage’ never really existed to begin with. Just Rolex running up sales.

Too many people are forgetting that a Sub date could READILY be had, BNIB for $7500 all day from a TS at the beginning of last year. This ‘drought’ has only existed since around Basel of last year. We need more time to adequately see what’s going on, as of now, this was just a temporary blip in the whole realm of things.