The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 April 2018, 09:01 AM   #1
debner4
"TRF" Member

F.P. Journe Chronometer Bleu pricing going through the roof!

Was around $20,000 (USD) on grey market two weeks ago, then one listed at $24,000 last week. Now two more listed at $29,500 this week!

I know these are list rather than buy prices; but still, that’s a lot of movement in a short period of time.

Also hearing boutique waiting list for this watch is as high as 70 people long in some of the FP Journe boutiques!

Next “hot” watch?
debner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 09:11 AM   #2
rfatm3f
"TRF" Member

It’s been a hot watch. I had the opportunity to buy one for a good price but I asked a ts for a quote to buy and it was about 20% less than my deal.
rfatm3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 10:58 AM   #3
tng11
"TRF" Member

29.5K? Yikes!

I feel lucky I got in just before this apparent spike - there weren't any on the market when I was looking for one about 6 months ago so I bit the bullet and paid the deposit on a brand new one, and I was okay with a small loss if I chose to resell.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 10:59 AM   #4
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

I thought you were going to buy one?

Seriously though, there seems to be a few for sale in various places right now in varying conditions for in and around $23k. It does seem like prices have lifted somewhat.

Keep in mind, the last two at auction (which I recall from last summer) went for $27-28k so the market is a little all over the place.

Call NY or Geneva and get on the list. Worst case scenario you sell it for $18-19k if you don't like it. That's the floor I'm putting on the CB at this point.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 11:01 AM   #5
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Call NY or Geneva and get on the list. Worst case scenario you sell it for $18-19k if you don't like it. That's the floor I'm putting on the CB at this point.
Back in November NY told me the list was dozens long with no known ETA. Geneva told me 3-4 month wait with a 30% deposit. True to their word, I got the email notifying me that it had arrived 4 months and a few days from the date I paid the deposit. I'd give them a ring and see how long is the wait time they're quoting now.
Old 18 April 2018, 12:16 PM   #6
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought you were going to buy one?

Seriously though, there seems to be a few for sale in various places right now in varying conditions for in and around $23k. It does seem like prices have lifted somewhat.

Keep in mind, the last two at auction (which I recall from last summer) went for $27-28k so the market is a little all over the place.

Thankfully, I got on the waiting list with a FPJ boutique last month which is why I have been looking at grey pricing lately (out of curiousity). I’m told the waiting list at the Boutique is double today what it was a month ago. I was also told that they receive three calls a day about the CB.

I menitioned that I heard wait times were less at Geneva boutique and was told that’s not true, at least not anymore.

Things are happening...
Old 18 April 2018, 01:09 PM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
No different than the Rolex and Patek situation. The dealers aren’t getting three calls a day from people who must have a Journe blue lol they are getting 3 calls a day from people who would like to make a few bucks!

Gorgeous watches though. Was at bal harbor last week and had an interesting experience with a somewhat laughably uneducated salesperson. I was told MR Journe was the only living watchmaker making his own watches ��

Even so, I was treated very well and enjoyed my experience. I’d like a Journe one day I just can’t figure out which one.
Old 18 April 2018, 04:13 PM   #8
gengar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Call NY or Geneva and get on the list.
Would not suggest NYC as the list is 70+. LA is at 20 now; I think Bal Harbour is a bit less but be aware the boutique is moving.
gengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 09:19 PM   #9
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debner4 View Post
I menitioned that I heard wait times were less at Geneva boutique and was told that’s not true, at least not anymore.

Things are happening...
That's the same line of BS NYC gave me when I called them in October last year. Called Geneva the next day and they told me ETA would be Feb/March. Why not just pick up the phone and call them directly?
Old 18 April 2018, 10:32 PM   #10
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Would not suggest NYC as the list is 70+. LA is at 20 now; I think Bal Harbour is a bit less but be aware the boutique is moving.
Yes, the NYC list is ridiculous. The salseman did tell me to try Miami, as that list is much shorter (never ended up doing it though).

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 03:23 AM   #11
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Yes, the NYC list is ridiculous. The salseman did tell me to try Miami, as that list is much shorter (never ended up doing it though).
That's what they seem to be telling anyone that comes in and asks about the watch. Told the same thing as their list was 30+ long. Have you tried the Manfredi in Greewich?
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 03:45 AM   #12
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

I'd hazard a guess that 70% or more of these people on these lists will not take the watch when offered. There is no flippers market for this watch right now, and given supply (high in the realms of Independents and relative to total annual production) only a discontinuation would change that I would think.

We all know 50% or more of those on lists are just taking a free option on a potential flip. And why not, I have no issue with people doing this. My issue is with the brands allowing it to happen.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 04:27 AM   #13
shafran
"TRF" Member

Where is the bal harbor boutique moving to?
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 06:08 AM   #14
gengar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd hazard a guess that 70% or more of these people on these lists will not take the watch when offered. There is no flippers market for this watch right now, and given supply (high in the realms of Independents and relative to total annual production) only a discontinuation would change that I would think.
It's still possible for 70% of the current list to skip their spots (and I'll let you know, since a friend is on the LA list), but CB production has been too high for that significant percentage to have been skipping and still have these 1yr wait times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
Where is the bal harbor boutique moving to?
I believe it will be in Brickell - not sure on the specific timeframe but soon.
Old 19 April 2018, 09:28 AM   #15
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:

We all know 50% or more of those on lists are just taking a free option on a potential flip. And why not, I have no issue with people doing this. My issue is with the brands allowing it to happen.
There is if you can buy for $22k and sell for $29k...
Old 19 April 2018, 10:17 AM   #16
rfatm3f
"TRF" Member

I doubt any ts would give you over msrp for one though
rfatm3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 10:30 AM   #17
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

What’s the exact MSRP now, can someone share that info? $23k?

In my view, the CB was underpriced at MSRP, relative to other popular steel sports models from, let’s say, AP and Patek. It’s amazing what the market is willing to bear.

Sent using Tapatalk
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 11:22 AM   #18
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

I was in Geneva a few days ago and checked with the boutique. I was told a year and a half wait list. I've been on the Miami list for a few months and was told maybe sometime in the fall.

Bal Harbour boutique is moving to Brickell sometime in June.
Skyrider01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 11:28 AM   #19
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Seems to have. Had an opportunity to buy one last year and passed on it. Regret it more than also passing on a Hulk before the scarcity. Plan to give it a year and see where the availability is.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 12:54 PM   #20
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfatm3f View Post
I doubt any ts would give you over msrp for one though
What is TS?
Old 19 April 2018, 12:55 PM   #21
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
what’s the exact msrp now, can someone share that info? $23k?

In my view, the cb was underpriced at msrp, relative to other popular steel sports models from, let’s say, ap and patek. It’s amazing what the market is willing to bear.

Sent using tapatalk
$22,800 (usd)
Old 19 April 2018, 01:13 PM   #22
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by debner4 View Post
What is TS?
Trusted seller.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 01:46 PM   #23
Watch Admirer
Banned

lol
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 05:33 AM   #24
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
I was in Geneva a few days ago and checked with the boutique. I was told a year and a half wait list. I've been on the Miami list for a few months and was told maybe sometime in the fall.

Bal Harbour boutique is moving to Brickell sometime in June.
Definitely seems like things are changing on the supply & demand of this watch...
Old 22 April 2018, 10:42 PM   #25
mad_1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,JLC,GS,Omega
There's one for sale at Sotheby's online auction in HK that will end on 4-30-18. That may shed some more light on after market prices.
mad_1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 11:54 PM   #26
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Even so, I was treated very well and enjoyed my experience. I’d like a Journe one day I just can’t figure out which one.
Next one I want is the Répétition Souveraine. After actuating Mr. Journe's personal watch with no fear about breaking it, I decided it's the one for me.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 01:18 AM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Next one I want is the Répétition Souveraine. After actuating Mr. Journe's personal watch with no fear about breaking it, I decided it's the one for me.
Sweet! Ive always fancied the optimum but so many to love. I really like when the journes have the signature circular sub dial for time on the right side.
Old 23 April 2018, 03:05 AM   #28
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_1974 View Post
There's one for sale at Sotheby's online auction in HK that will end on 4-30-18. That may shed some more light on after market prices.
All this hype over the same watch that's been around since 2011. Personally I would take the cash and buy a grail worthy piece at a discount. It's like the steel 5711/5712 fiasco, or the soon to be 15202 Jumbo bloom. All this while the original platinum Datograph can be had for $40K.

A super nicely finished plat Datograph for $40k, or a steel sports watch for $50k (that used to be $25k).
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 05:44 AM   #29
gengar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
LA boutique has one! It's an absolutely amazing piece - I still can't believe how thin it is.
Old 23 April 2018, 07:30 AM   #30
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
LA boutique has one! It's an absolutely amazing piece - I still can't believe how thin it is.
Yeah it’s awesome. I asked him if I could chime it and he just nodded. Patek wouldn’t even let us touch them. Then again I guess if it broke he could fix it himself heh.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote