The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 April 2018, 06:02 AM   #1
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Branching out—- FPJ or ALS?

Happy Friday! So, I’m thinking about branching out and getting one of the following watches . I’ve tried on the FPJ but not the ALSs (No local AD).It would be part of a collection that is Rolex heavy + a 5167a. I’d likely buy pre-owned. Anyone have experience w 2 or all 3 of these? Thanks in advance !

FPJ CS 40mm plat

ALS 1815 up/down WG

Lange 1 wg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 06:59 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
For me it would be the Lange 1.

I’ve owned the 1815 (not up/down) and it was a great watch but I became a bit bored. Then again I always do so that’s no news story!

I just had that Journe on my wrist at the Miami boutique last week, which tells you all you need to know about how fast they sell.

Be sure to get a great price on any of the three. My dream Lange is the Lange 1 moonphase WG Black dial Dream Journe is the chrono optimum platinum but ouch it’s expensive! Couldn’t help bring my dreams into the conversation
Old 21 April 2018, 06:59 AM   #3
themast
"TRF" Member

Don’t have experience (but I own a GO PML). My thoughts are as follows:
- all great choices
- the L1 dial is a bit flat (everything is silver). Perhaps it works in real life
- you already know that but you need to try the Lange since the case design is quite different from the FPJ
themast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 07:30 AM   #4
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Fpj.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 07:30 AM   #5
Helmi
"TRF" Member

That CS in platinum is absolutely stunning. The L1 is great but my vote goes to the CS. I own the fpj CB which wears almost same like the CS (apart from the weight) and I would confidently say it is a great watch to own, and very comfortable to wear. My only criticism is the crown , it is very small which makes it comfortable while wearing the watch but heavy and difficult to wind . No deal breaker though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 08:15 AM   #6
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
For me it would be the Lange 1.

I’ve owned the 1815 (not up/down) and it was a great watch but I became a bit bored. Then again I always do so that’s no news story!

I just had that Journe on my wrist at the Miami boutique last week, which tells you all you need to know about how fast they sell.

Be sure to get a great price on any of the three. My dream Lange is the Lange 1 moonphase WG Black dial Dream Journe is the chrono optimum platinum but ouch it’s expensive! Couldn’t help bring my dreams into the conversation

Thanks.. I agree the 1815 small seconds could get boring after a while which is why I was interested in the up/down- between the two symmetric subdials and sector dial with blue hands, I think it would keep my interest.

What about the CS didn’t you like ? I tried on the CS Havannah dial yesterday at an AD (they did not have the silver dial) and loved the platinum lustre (don’t have any plat watches) and the thinness on the wrist.

Old 21 April 2018, 08:17 AM   #7
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Don’t have experience (but I own a GO PML). My thoughts are as follows:
- all great choices
- the L1 dial is a bit flat (everything is silver). Perhaps it works in real life
- you already know that but you need to try the Lange since the case design is quite different from the FPJ

You picked up on my main concern w the current Lange 1 dial- seems very monotone in the pics but sometimes you just have to see something in person. And yes, I know Langes have been described as hockey-puck cases, so I need to make it into NYC to try it on and see how it sits on my wrist.. thanks !

Old 21 April 2018, 08:19 AM   #8
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
That CS in platinum is absolutely stunning. The L1 is great but my vote goes to the CS. I own the fpj CB which wears almost same like the CS (apart from the weight) and I would confidently say it is a great watch to own, and very comfortable to wear. My only criticism is the crown , it is very small which makes it comfortable while wearing the watch but heavy and difficult to wind . No deal breaker though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve thought about the CB (and the blue dial LAnge 1)... it’s gorgeous in the pics but I’m leaning toward a lighter dial

Old 21 April 2018, 08:50 AM   #9
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

I think of the three the L1 is iconic, classic, and represents what Lange is all about.

The other two don't have that. And I say that as a owner of a number of FPJs.

The CS versus the L1 will wear differently. For me the 38.5 of the L1 is better, for me personally, than the 40mm CS.

The problem with the L1 is as others have said; it's somewhat cold (dial colour, case material and case construction all together make it that way). For me some of that coldness is solved with a different case metal, yellow gold first then rose gold, or with a different dial (you mentioned the blue but you ruled that out).

The CS by contrast has a more interesting dial and it's just warmer overall.

All said there's no wrong choice here so long as you get a good price, all three of those watches have poor resale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 10:18 AM   #10
gengar
"TRF" Member

My inference from the OP is that this purchase will fill a different purpose in the collection. If that's correct, I'd pick simply based on the personal appeal of the style - FPJ being a more classic feel vs ALS being typically German (and to be clear, nothing wrong with that - I love the look of ALS).
gengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 10:45 AM   #11
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

L1 for me. I too like the moonphase, day/night newest version. The black is awesome. But since I went black chrono I lean rose gold, white dial. If I had to pick among yours I’d go up/down wg
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 01:57 PM   #12
Watch Admirer
Banned

ALS, no match here
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 03:04 PM   #13
Plai
"TRF" Member

I have that same up/down Lange, bought from AD about 5 months ago. I really like the clean dial, and 39mm fit my 6.5 inch wrist well. The watch looks larger than 39mm due to the thin bezel. Before you buy, make sure you are okay with a manual wind watch. You may also want to consider a brown strap as well, it’s more versatile imho. Remember to push for a big discount!
Plai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 10:27 PM   #14
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
FPJ easy win, nice thin watch with a great movement instead of a hockey puck case.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 10:46 PM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

of those choices, i would pick the Lange 1. However try the moser pioneer in SS. Tried it on for the first time today and wow, i love it. Its way cheaper than the others as well.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 10:54 PM   #16
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
of those choices, i would pick the Lange 1. However try the moser pioneer in SS. Tried it on for the first time today and wow, i love it. Its way cheaper than the others as well.

Thanks Tyler- that dial is gorgeous! But for my next, I’m going PM and 40mm or less. Still considering a PP AC for this, but the above 3 have really got my interest at the moment.

Old 22 April 2018, 02:25 AM   #17
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I would choose ALS over FPJ all day if spending the same amount. At least one has a chance to be around 50 years from now.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 03:49 AM   #18
iceman1118
"TRF" Member

I own two FPJ. It’s a very particular brand, you either love it or hate it. Personally, I love it. I am a former ALS owner. I owned a Lange 1 in rose gold. Loved the watch, but the case was very top heavy. If you wear your watches snug then it is not an issue, but I have a real issue with swelling wrists during the day so I tend to wear my watches a little looser than most. This posed a problem with it being so top heavy that I could truly never get it to fit right. It was a very difficult decision but I ultimately ended up selling it because the case just wasn’t going to work for me in the long run. Overall however, you can not go wrong since you are deciding between two great pieces and brands.
Current Lineup: AP 15400 ST, AP 15400 OR, AP Diver, AP Navy Offshore, Patek 5205R, Patek 5320R, FPJ Chronometre Souverain, FPJ Centigraphe Souverain, FPJ Quantieme Perpetual, Urban Jurgensen 1140PT, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Titanium, Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite
iceman1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 04:14 AM   #19
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I like both brands very much, but they are very different watches on the wrist. The Journe has a definite French influence with its guilloche dial and small corded crown. The asymmetrical sub seconds and power reserve, different sized numerals, and unique hands make for a less formal but more elegant watch compared to the Langes, especially the Up/Down. The Langes, on the other hand, are very buttoned down and Teutonic. As for movement quality, the Langes are very traditional whlle the Journe is very moder. I like both.

As to the specific watches, I'm not a Lange 1 fan, especially the all silver version you've shown (I actually think G.O. does a better job with he asymmetrical dial than the original Lange 1), so for me it would be between the other two.

A poster above makes a good point that Lange as a Richemont company will probably be around fifty years from now while Journe may not. Regardless, you really should try them both on.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 04:34 AM   #20
iceman1118
"TRF" Member

I think it’s near impossible to distinguish who will be around in 50 years from now, let alone 20. I understand the points, but I wouldn’t necessarily use that extreme unknown factor when buying a watch.
Current Lineup: AP 15400 ST, AP 15400 OR, AP Diver, AP Navy Offshore, Patek 5205R, Patek 5320R, FPJ Chronometre Souverain, FPJ Centigraphe Souverain, FPJ Quantieme Perpetual, Urban Jurgensen 1140PT, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Titanium, Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite
Old 22 April 2018, 10:03 AM   #21
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman1118 View Post
I own two FPJ. It’s a very particular brand, you either love it or hate it. Personally, I love it. I am a former ALS owner. I owned a Lange 1 in rose gold. Loved the watch, but the case was very top heavy. If you wear your watches snug then it is not an issue, but I have a real issue with swelling wrists during the day so I tend to wear my watches a little looser than most. This posed a problem with it being so top heavy that I could truly never get it to fit right. It was a very difficult decision but I ultimately ended up selling it because the case just wasn’t going to work for me in the long run. Overall however, you can not go wrong since you are deciding between two great pieces and brands.

Thanks, I am a bit concerned about the top heaviness you pointed out but the Lange 1 is a tad smaller diameter than the CS... on the wrist (mine is 6.7 inch), would you say the CS feels smaller?

Old 22 April 2018, 12:32 PM   #22
gengar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
I would choose ALS over FPJ all day if spending the same amount. At least one has a chance to be around 50 years from now.
I'd be amazed if I'm here 50 years from now, so that'd just be about the last thing I'd consider with respect to my watch collection.
gengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 10:45 PM   #23
iceman1118
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Thanks, I am a bit concerned about the top heaviness you pointed out but the Lange 1 is a tad smaller diameter than the CS... on the wrist (mine is 6.7 inch), would you say the CS feels smaller?

My CS is a 40 mm.. I think it wears pretty true to size
Old 22 April 2018, 10:52 PM   #24
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Laurent Ferrier is another option among these smaller production brands.

I’m leaning toward the FPJ of your choices.
Old 22 April 2018, 11:14 PM   #25
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post

A poster above makes a good point that Lange as a Richemont company will probably be around fifty years from now while Journe may not. Regardless, you really should try them both on.
Not a good point at all. F.P.Journe is vertically integrated, with its own dial factory. It even has its own watchmaking school. Think about that.

Mr. Journe already has plans in place for after he passes. And he has already said no to conglomerates' offers to buy.

F.P.Journe is here to stay. Mr. Journe started by repairing 18th and 19th centruy clocks and his watches and his company are all designed to stick around for the long haul.
Old 22 April 2018, 11:40 PM   #26
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Laurent Ferrier is another option among these smaller production brands.

I’m leaning toward the FPJ of your choices.
LF judt got caught calling Vaucher movements "in-house", maybe wait for that to calm down.
Old 22 April 2018, 11:42 PM   #27
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
LF judt got caught calling Vaucher movements "in-house", maybe wait for that to calm down.
oh, hadn't heard that!
Old 22 April 2018, 11:56 PM   #28
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post

not really a good point. FPJ would get acquired if they were in trouble financially. Its a positive they are an independent as long as they are an independent. Pretty sure they will be around in 50 years in one form or another. These companies in groups didn't start out that way in most cases.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 12:30 AM   #29
iceman1118
"TRF" Member

If you research FPJ, the man himself and his company, you will see how remarkable it all really is. He is so eccentric that we went out and purchased a dial maker so every part of the watch is completely in house. He has stated many times in interviews that his company is not for sale and like said above his succession plan is already in place for when he is gone. He states himself that he models everything after the old Breguet, meaning that his watches will still be able to work 200 years from now. I have two myself and even though they are basically unheard of and don’t demand high resale value, I am fairly bullish in the long run because I think the low production will be a positive in the long run.
Old 23 April 2018, 01:07 AM   #30
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Thanks.. I agree the 1815 small seconds could get boring after a while which is why I was interested in the up/down- between the two symmetric subdials and sector dial with blue hands, I think it would keep my interest.

What about the CS didn’t you like ? I tried on the CS Havannah dial yesterday at an AD (they did not have the silver dial) and loved the platinum lustre (don’t have any plat watches) and the thinness on the wrist.

Honestly didn’t have much to complain about. I also tried the Havana on a really cool green strap. Where you at bal harbor? If so they have the CS Pt in the back. I was merely pointing out that even though the prior version CS was long discontinued and frankly small overall production, they still had it in stock.

I am certainly drawn to journes case design over Lange which goes a long way.